Safety position a problem?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it's just one game, it was clear that it was one in which Morgan Burnett was very much missed. I was disappointed with the games of both Jennings and McMillian, neither of which I felt have showed much early on as far as emerging as a solid option opposite Burnett. While I respect TT's draft and develop philosophy, I can't help but wonder if perhaps a bit too much faith was put into these two. The safety class in this draft was a very deep one, but it was ignored in the draft. Free agent options were available and passed on, and Woodson was let go without much thought to renegotiation.

I understand it's still too early to say, but I think it's quite possible that Jennings and McMillian are simply just backup/special teams quality players, either of which will probably rank near the bottom among starting safeties if forced into that role.

So is there a solution this year? Banjo has flashed some skills but is a very raw player and may struggle in coverage. I've always felt that Casey Hayward may turn out to be a fine safety, but it's probably asking too much to have him switch during the season.

There are some possible trade candidates that could be had for a price, but I find it very unlikely that TT pursues this avenue. So I think the most likely solution is going to be waiting out Jennings and McMillian. Is this something that could still work out, or are we going to see some of the same problems in coverage help that we saw this weekend?

Or, am I just overreacting based on today's game?

By the way, it's a shame we never had the Collins/Burnett safety tandem.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When they drafted Hyde the first thing I thought was that they were going to convert him to a FS, I thought having him at FS would be the best option for this team in the future as well as this season. Obviously the Packers thought different and now after playing him at corner all summer I doubt they will move him and even if they did it probably would not be very effective. With his ball skills, solid tackling, and ability to blitz on occasion he would seem like a very good FS option to me.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
When they drafted Hyde the first thing I thought was that they were going to convert him to a FS, I thought having him at FS would be the best option for this team in the future as well as this season. Obviously the Packers thought different and now after playing him at corner all summer I doubt they will move him and even if they did it probably would not be very effective. With his ball skills, solid tackling, and ability to blitz on occasion he would seem like a very good FS option to me.
Hyde doesn't have the range to play FS. If we move him, Burnett stays at FS and Hyde plays SS. The one guy you don't want getting out run is your FS. Hyde would definitely be toasty. It's not a bad combo, but it's not optimal for Burnett either.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I noticed it bigtime on the 49ers second drive in the 4th quarter. It two plays they went from their own 25 yard line to the GB 9 yard line scoring at TD. A 43 yard pass to Boldin followed by Hunter going around the right end for 23 yards. The was no safety help on the Boldin catch and then on the Hunter run, McMillian was in position to make the tackle but moved out of the way to block the WR as Hunter sprinted past, leaving Shields to chase down Hunter at the 9 yard line. Pathetic play in general from our safeties

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both are backups at best. They looked lost in coverage and neither guy looks like he's a sure tackler. Someone mentioned Micah hyde in an earlier post not having the range but i would disagree as MD Jennings isn't a burner either. At least with Hyde he's a FOOTBAAL PLAYER and can make impactful plays which neither Jennings nor Mcmillan did. Seeing Hyde at Safety with burnett would be best at this point. Safety is now the weak link on D.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
During the off season I said safety was one of the most critical areas to be addressed. I hoped first Thompson would do it through free agency and then through the draft. He didn't. We are definitely weak there. Yes, we didn't have Burnett yesterday but don't forget that he was one of the leaders on the team in missed tackles in 2012. I also think the position is the weakest on the defense

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I'm starting to get sick of the brass "giving guys their fair shot" uncontested. EDS, McMillian and Jennings have burned us bigtime.

Hell, Rodgers was a better tackler than our starting Safeties last night.

Last edited: