Round 5 Pick 183 - RB Aaron Jones

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Productive kid. Played better in 2016 as the season went on after being out all of 2015. Good pick - there is a lot of upside potential. A receiving threat who is good value at this point.

Walter Football:

Height: 5-9. Weight: 208. Arm: 32.5. Hand: 9.5.
40 Time: 4.56.
Projected Round (2017): 4-6.
4/25/17: Jones turned in a big 2016 season, averaging 7.7 yards per carry for 1,773 yards with 17 touchdowns. He also showed receiving skills with 28 receptions for 233 yards and three scores. Jones put together another big season in 2014 with 1,321 yards (5.5 average) with 11 touchdowns. He had 30 catches for 293 yards and three scores as well.

Jones missed almost all of the 2015 season with torn ligaments in his ankle. He received a medical redshirt for that season and decided to skip his senior year to enter the 2017 NFL Draft.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2017RB.php#mtri5mXAq8ZGXMqP.99

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not sure about this guy but seeing williams compared to jones, williams is a beast! williams piles his way out of tackles. jones looks like a finesse back but is pretty fast.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
One of the best pure athletes in the draft at his position and highly productive. "UDFA." Lol. OK.

I love the guys who come out of the wood work after the draft who are apparently experts on all 253 players taken, plus all 500 UDFA's.

jdubb66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw this kid play all three years at UTEP. Made SEC and Big 12 defensive backs look slow. Stronger than he should be. Has the physical strength of a much bigger back. Always moves the pile forward. Great with the off hand. Best stiff arm I've ever seen. By far the best running back that's ever played at UTEP.

Perfectly healthy right now although, needs to know when to give up and go down. A Texas Tech defensive end dislocated his ankle on purpose during the first half of their game in 2015 after he had gained more than 150 all purpose yards on them and had made their linebackers and safeties look like fools the year before. Great hands. I know, I'm a homer and all, but he's the steal of the draft fo sho. He needs to be you're starting 3rd down back right now.

Count the number of times he runs by guys when they think they have the angle on him.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I saw this kid play all three years at UTEP. Made SEC and Big 12 defensive backs look slow. Stronger than he should be. Has the physical strength of a much bigger back. Always moves the pile forward. Great with the off hand. Best stiff arm I've ever seen. By far the best running back that's ever played at UTEP.

Perfectly healthy right now although, needs to know when to give up and go down. A Texas Tech defensive end dislocated his ankle on purpose during the first half of their game in 2015 after he had gained more than 150 all purpose yards on them and had made their linebackers and safeties look like fools the year before. Great hands. I know, I'm a homer and all, but he's the steal of the draft fo sho. He needs to be you're starting 3rd down back right now.

Count the number of times he runs by guys when they think they have the angle on him.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Thanks jdubb and hopefully you are a full time Packer fan now? I have to admit, I felt my desk rise a bit while watching that video of Jones. Looks like a great back could have just landed in Green Bay!

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remembered seeing him play on TV a few times after initially being miffed with the selection. This is a potentially really valuable sleeper pick. Hope he shows out in rookie OTAs/Mini-Camp/TC and makes the final 53. Could be useful in the pass game. I honestly could see a 5-man backfield of Ty, all 3 rookies, and Rip. Especially if the youngsters show out this summer. The retreds from last year like Don Jackson and Michaels are probably expendable to the FO. But yeah, This Jones kid is intriguing...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I remembered seeing him play on TV a few times after initially being miffed with the selection. This is a potentially really valuable sleeper pick. Hope he shows out in rookie OTAs/Mini-Camp/TC and makes the final 53. Could be useful in the pass game. I honestly could see a 5-man backfield of Ty, all 3 rookies, and Rip. Especially if the youngsters show out this summer. The retreds from last year like Don Jackson and Michaels are probably expendable to the FO. But yeah, This Jones kid is intriguing...

I would be a bit shocked if MM kept all 5 on the 53, but even just 4 (including Rip) would be better than last year when they opened with just 3 and nothing much on the PS. If Mays shows just enough promise, but not too much, he could be nice insurance on the PS. I think Williams is going to give us the bruising style that we saw with Lacy, Jones could be a really nice compliment to put in there with Monty on 3rd downs, they both will give the defense fits coming out of the backfield.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be a bit shocked if MM kept all 5 on the 53, but even just 4 (including Rip) would be better than last year when they opened with just 3 and nothing much on the PS. If Mays shows just enough promise, but not too much, he could be nice insurance on the PS. I think Williams is going to give us the bruising style that we saw with Lacy, Jones could be a really nice compliment to put in there with Monty on 3rd downs, they both will give the defense fits coming out of the backfield.

I can agree with that. I would presume we have a 4-back rotation coming out of the pre-season of Ty, the BYU bruiser, Jones, and Rip. Mays is RB #1 on the PS-and hopefully he doesn't play too well to the point where some team tries to snatch him up.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I also think the Packers realize that Ty isn't an every down back and just like a lot of teams do, platooning 3 guys isn't a bad thing. It adds some diversity to your offense and what the defense has to prepare for. I look forward to some interesting formations.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also think the Packers realize that Ty isn't an every down back and just like a lot of teams do, platooning 3 guys isn't a bad thing. It adds some diversity to your offense and what the defense has to prepare for. I look forward to some interesting formations.

I would think the offense could maybe, just maybe, finally have the "balance" Mike McCarthy desires-along with bevy of formations he likes. We still will run 11 personnel as our main course since it is the easiest to go no-huddle out of, but as we saw last season, with Ty as the lone RB in that formation it gives defenses a conundrum in matching up in base or nickel. So I see Ty as the mainstay in 11, Williams as the 12/21 personnel back, and Jones spelling Monty in 11 at times and also setting up some intriguing 12/22 hybrid looks with #88.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was nervous after Williams was drafted, I saw he had a red flag for an off the field incident. Then I realized that he was suspended for having consensual sex (most definitely a violation of BYU’s Honor Code, which he did sign). Yeah you broke the Honor Code, but come on man!

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Jones has nice burst. Looks like he can catch too which probably makes him an upgrade over Michael. 47 percent of UTEP's offense ran through him so he was a very productive back.

Chances are were gonna have a RB by committee which is just fine with me.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would think the offense could maybe, just maybe, finally have the "balance" Mike McCarthy desires-along with bevy of formations he likes. We still will run 11 personnel as our main course since it is the easiest to go no-huddle out of, but as we saw last season, with Ty as the lone RB in that formation it gives defenses a conundrum in matching up in base or nickel. So I see Ty as the mainstay in 11, Williams as the 12/21 personnel back, and Jones spelling Monty in 11 at times and also setting up some intriguing 12/22 hybrid looks with #88.

The only thing we have to remember, the Packers OL doesn't excel at run blocking. Maybe that will change and having Williams might help in forcing defenses to actually have to respect the run. At that point, you start lining Williams up with either Monty or Jones and torch them. Let's just hope that Williams, Jones and/or Mays can learn the Packer offense, I haven't read much about their football intelligence (good or bad).

D

Deleted member 6794

Could be useful in the pass game. I honestly could see a 5-man backfield of Ty, all 3 rookies, and Rip.

I highly doubt the Packers will keep five running backs on the final roster.

The only thing we have to remember, the Packers OL doesn't excel at run blocking. Maybe that will change and having Williams might help in forcing defenses to actually have to respect the run.

I don't expect the Packers offensive line to significantly improve blocking for the run.

jdubb66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks jdubb and hopefully you are a full time Packer fan now? I have to admit, I felt my desk rise a bit while watching that video of Jones. Looks like a great back could have just landed in Green Bay!
Naw, I'm a Cowboys fan. Another bright side for you guys is that there was talk that the Cowboys were going to draft Jones in the 6th. BTW, it WAS a catch.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones has nice burst. Looks like he can catch too which probably makes him an upgrade over Michael. 47 percent of UTEP's offense ran through him so he was a very productive back.

Chances are were gonna have a RB by committee which is just fine with me.
If one of these guys steps forward and distinguishes himself, im sure he will get the bulk of the carries. If I had to bet on one of our 4 RBs to do that, it would be Jones.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Naw, I'm a Cowboys fan. Another bright side for you guys is that there was talk that the Cowboys were going to draft Jones in the 6th. BTW, it WAS a catch.

You have my sympathies ;)

Oh it WAS a nice catch and release by Bryant, a thing of beauty for Packer fans young and old! ;)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
@Poppa San has requested that if you have any new information on these prospects that you create an entire new thread to disseminate it.