Ravens deal CB Derrick Martin

America

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A Few General Thoughts

Cutdown day is a hard day and it's one of the days that a GM's acumen makes a difference. TT has made mistakes in the past....like releasing our punter and signing Frost last year...and let's hope he didn't make any today.

1) Tyrell Sutton. A lot of us liked him but if we were going to carry 4 RBs then somebody else gets cut at a different position. And regardless of how much we like him, the reality of Sutton is that he couldn't play 3rd downs because his blitz pickup skills aren't real strong and with Ryan Grant getting the bulk of carries Sutton would be competing with Jackson and Wynn for a carry or two each game.

Lots of running backs got released yesterday, many of them bigger and faster than Sutton. There's a very good chance that he'll make it back to our practice squad.

2) Jamon Meredith. A ton of potential but "as raw as sushi" as one writer put it. This is another guy that could easily make it to our practice squad.

3) Ruvell Martin. This one surprised me, and it shouldn't have. He'd been our #5 WR for 3 years and that's all he was ever going to be here and every time that TT has had the choice between youth and experience he's gone with youth. I liked Ruvell Martin and thought he was a good player for us but NFL stands for Not For Long and the Packers apparently thought they'd seen the best that Ruvell Martin had to offer and determined that Swain had a bigger upside. Additionally, Martin was scheduled to make 1.1 million in salary and Swain is a minimum contract (350K) guy....so we save 700K on that deal.....one of the many little things that go into having a healthy salary cap situation.

4) Brian Brohm. In my opinion, this is a calculated gamble to resign him at a reduced price to the practice squad. He was only going to be our #3 this year and after shopping him and finding no takers it was determined that we'd roll the dice and try to put him on the practice squad. I'd like to say "this is a bold move" but come on, we're talking about our 3rd string QB.

5) Anthony Smith/Derrick Martin. Once again, this shows the incredibly thorough approach the Packer personnel department takes to the roster. Most of us had no clue who this guy was....I don't recall a single post by anybody saying "Baltimore might release Derrick Martin and we could take him". Apparently, they felt he was an upgrade over Smith.

Considering that Smith played OK, I'm kind of wondering if his off-the-field demeanor was a factor, as it apparently was in Pittsburgh where he went from starter to doghouse. TT places a premium on locker room chemistry and isn't going to have a guy around who might jeopardize it.

6) We only kept six defensive linemen and that concerns me. I'm Old School and I think that defense starts right on the line of scrimmage and I'm concerned about whether six guys is enough to get through a 16 game season and the playoffs. It's a tough position and these guys do get nicked up.

7) There'll undoubtedly be some more moves. Guys like Havner, Kuhn, Jones....shouldn't get too comfortable. We may still add another QB, we may (hopefully) add another DL, we could add a TE.

Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees. We can analyze each move but the overall picture is that we've got a pretty strong 53 man squad.

TT's only really hit on ONE second round draft pick, and that was Greg Jennings. Your goal as a GM should be to get immediate day-1 starters with your first and second round picks.
In five years, each team gets 10 picks in the first and second rounds. TT has made a few trades to get an extra pick or two and the net result of what he has harvested in the first two rounds include Aaron Rodgers, AJ Hawk, Clay Matthews, Jordy Nelson, Greg Jennings, Darryn Colledge, BJ Raji Nick Collins, and Brandon Jackson. That's 9contributors, most of them starters, some potential Pro Bowlers and at least one possible MVP candidate.

He's also had some bad luck with injuries to Harrell, Murphy, and Lee, but getting 9 solid contributors in 5 years from your first and second round selections is a success rate that I think probably stands up fairly well to any team in the league. If you don't believe me, go to DraftHistory.com - NFL Pro Football College Draft and do the homework yourself.

GreenBayCracker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice analysis America, I was feeling a bit down after the cuts but you softened the blow a bit. If we can work out the injury problems and 4th quarter problems we had last year we are back to the penthouse.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, here's some explanation about the moves. I won't provide links, but it's all over JSOnline, GBPG and packer blogs... Those reports aren't confirmed, though.

1) Antonhy Smith: Didn't want to play ST, and Gambled too much.

2) Meredith: Soft. Didn't like football.

3) Martin: Like Doughsellz said, it was about money. He was neck and neck with Swain. But Swain is younger and cheaper.

I have no idea why they let Brohm and Sutton go. Lumpkin, Obiozor and Talley have just been added to the PS.
-
And one more thing, Doughsellz, it's the same thing with Harrell and Brohm, because there were a lot of concerns about Harrell's durability in the draft. So it's he same thing, because both can't contribute. I'm as close to a TT apologist as there is, but this was a terrible pick. Both of them.

And Hauschild, Mike Vandermause column: Thompson clears roster of draft duds | greenbaypressgazette.com | Green Bay Press-Gazette.

The draft isn't composed solely of 2nd round picks. Read the article. It says everything there is to be said about that, specially the Wolf comparison, which everyone agrees is a pretty good GM.
-
Sutton was claimed by the Panthers...

mattlock

Cheesehead
Reaction score
doughsellz;24640 Harrell is an unknown as of yet due to minimal PT so one last chance at corrective surgery and/or corrective therapy might be in order before giving up on him. It's one thing to be healthy & not becoming integral to the team due to mental setbacks (Brohm) & another to be unable to show your worth because of physical setbacks.[/quote said:
Whaddya mean unknown? He is done. He doesn't even want to play football. I've seen too many pics of him with his hands on his hips with his gut hanging out and a bewildered look on his face to think anything different. When guys his size get back problems, they rarely recover. Besides he was quoted as saying that he is worried about ending up in wheel chair or with a walker. Does that sound like someone that wants to go out and play a brutal game? I sorta feel for the guy, but at this point we should just buy him a Culvers franchise and let the guy move on. TT won't do it because he is too stubborn. Hey, I like the team he has put together and I applaud him for many of his decisions, but this one is too obvious to me than to do one of two things. Trade him for a draft pick, or just cut him. His football days are behind him in GB.

Mark my words. Bustin Harrell will never play another down of football for the Packers.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whaddya mean unknown? He is done. He doesn't even want to play football. I've seen too many pics of him with his hands on his hips with his gut hanging out and a bewildered look on his face to think anything different. When guys his size get back problems, they rarely recover. Besides he was quoted as saying that he is worried about ending up in wheel chair or with a walker. Does that sound like someone that wants to go out and play a brutal game? I sorta feel for the guy, but at this point we should just buy him a Culvers franchise and let the guy move on. TT won't do it because he is too stubborn. Hey, I like the team he has put together and I applaud him for many of his decisions, but this one is too obvious to me than to do one of two things. Trade him for a draft pick, or just cut him. His football days are behind him in GB.

Mark my words. Bustin Harrell will never play another down of football for the Packers.
Saying that he doesn't like football based on assumptions is too much, to say the least. You don't know his routine to say that he's the main reason to blame for his back problems. It could very well be the doctors who took care of him.

Saying that TT is stubborn when he just released a 2nd round pick after just 1 year and 1 preseason, and a 5th rounder who is supposed to have a lot of athleticism is ridiculous. Like I've been saying, IMO it was a bad pick, because there were reports of him being injury prone. (To be fair, he didn't have a single back problem until arriving in GB.) TT is no more stubborn than any other GM in the league. I would've kept him too, for this year, as he isn't costing too much. And I highly doubt he's tradable.

I agree on the done part though. I'm cheering for the guy, but doubt he'll play for GB again. For that to happen he would've to heal up by week 10, and then go on to practice well and often till the start of the 2010 season.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saying that he doesn't like football based on assumptions is too much, to say the least. You don't know his routine to say that he's the main reason to blame for his back problems. It could very well be the doctors who took care of him.

Saying that TT is stubborn when he just released a 2nd round pick after just 1 year and 1 preseason, and a 5th rounder who is supposed to have a lot of athleticism is ridiculous. Like I've been saying, IMO it was a bad pick, because there were reports of him being injury prone. (To be fair, he didn't have a single back problem until arriving in GB.)

His back problems began in high shcool but subsided for awhile at TEN. Then the shin thing & of course his bicep injury.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll stand by my assertion that TT needs to up his game in the first and second rounds. Did I say his drafting in round 2 was abysmal? Not at all. I merely stated that TT needs to improve, and I provided ample evidence why.

But, this all depends on your point of view and ultimate goals of where you want the team to be. This season should see 12+ wins with the cupcake schedule - I'd venture to say there is a good chance of a Super Bowl berth for the 2009 season. The problem is, I wouldn't have this warm and fuzzy feeling if we had to play a tougher schedule.

The fact is, our passing attack, you'll soon find out, is dominant. However, our running game is certainly not. When we face teams that have enough talent to completely ignore the running game, our passing attack and ultimate ability to move the chains will suffer. Add to this the fact our defensive front is not stout (disappointing considering the high investments over the last few years), and while I don't necessarily anticipate too much trouble in the regular season in 2009, it could surface in the playoffs, when we're facing much more effective defenses.

I like what TT has done for the most part, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have areas where he's shown a propensity for weakness. I look forward to a very successful season, but with that comes a tougher road for 2010.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll stand by my assertion that TT needs to up his game in the first and second rounds. Did I say his drafting in round 2 was abysmal? Not at all. I merely stated that TT needs to improve, and I provided ample evidence why.

But, this all depends on your point of view and ultimate goals of where you want the team to be. This season should see 12+ wins with the cupcake schedule - I'd venture to say there is a good chance of a Super Bowl berth for the 2009 season. The problem is, I wouldn't have this warm and fuzzy feeling if we had to play a tougher schedule.

The fact is, our passing attack, you'll soon find out, is dominant. However, our running game is certainly not. When we face teams that have enough talent to completely ignore the running game, our passing attack and ultimate ability to move the chains will suffer. Add to this the fact our defensive front is not stout (disappointing considering the high investments over the last few years), and while I don't necessarily anticipate too much trouble in the regular season in 2009, it could surface in the playoffs, when we're facing much more effective defenses.

I like what TT has done for the most part, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have areas where he's shown a propensity for weakness. I look forward to a very successful season, but with that comes a tougher road for 2010.
Well, there's a reason TT is questioned. I don't think you'll find anyone, except crazy homers, that say TT is an elite GM. He's not. But he's not doing a terrible job either. Maybe he's not agressive enough with FA's. I'm not talking about getting Haynesworth, but Moss costed a 4th rounder! Olshansky wasn't very expensive either. But then again, we're pretty fine at Wr, and the DL might prove surprising...

You're right on the early rounds. I was actually thinking about it the other day. I don't know if we do this already, but a Scouting Director to balance with TT in the early rounds would be awesome. TT's late round picks are usually very effective, and his personel management philosophy of building through the draft and mantaining locker room stability wouldn't be questioned. But then again, after this year's draft, maybe he's changing his procedure towards drafting. I can assure you that, if it were last year, he would've taken Michael Crabtree, who was 1st in his board. Maybe he's balancing team needs more with player potential.

TT was brought in to rebuild, and he did it. It sure took more time than it should, but the fact is he rebuild. This team is young, and is maturing together.

Members online