Question: How much do you think our WR's will be effected?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this for awhile.
Do you think going from Favre to Rodgers is going to have a bad effect on our WR's production?
Driver and Jennings had great years. We have Jones and Martin, and Robinson seemed to have a good bond with Favre. Do you think the numbers on our WR's is doing to drop drastically?
Or do any of you think it will have a positive effect on their output?

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Question: How much do you think our WR's will be effecte

Do you think going from Favre to Rodgers is going to have a bad effect on our WR's production?
Driver and Jennings had great years. We have Jones and Martin, and Robinson seemed to have a good bond with Favre. Do you think the numbers on our WR's is doing to drop drastically?

there's going to be a drop off. fans can't expect a green Rodgers to go in there and "Favre it up" out the gates. thats not even taking into account that Brett had statistically one of his best years last year...in his entire career.

i guess the real question is how much will our offensive production drop?

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Personally I see Driver stepping up his leadership skills a little more on offense overall.

I think this offseason is vitale for Rodgers to establish a positive bond with all the members on the offense and team. He just became the man in Green Bay, it is in his hands to grab those reins and go.

As far as inside the offense itself, I think the timing might be a little better, however I think the distribution of catches is going to be streamlined a little until Rodgers gets into a groove. The days of 8 to 10 different players with a catch might be a memory for a while.

Maybe Rodgers will surprise with his poise and have a Favre like command of the offense and the reads.

September yet?

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am hoping the WR production drops off, but not because of switching from Brett to Rodgers. I hope that the passing production drops because the running game takes over.

As long as Rodgers can put the ball in the correct places, I think it will be easier for the WR to catch the ball. Brett threw the slants and crossing routes with fire on the ball that I don't think Rodgers is going to do.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the W.R.'s may not have better numbers but the Offense will be better over all. Perhaps longer drives and more of a time of possession advantage and keeping the other teams "O" off the field longer? Perhaps it will be a better Red Zone T.D. percentage?

Now before any of you grab your Game Day BBQ two pronged fork and stab me with it... It is not because Brett retired. I just think the Packers O-Line will be better and the running game will be used all of 2008 unlike last year where it was used after week 9.

There individual numbers may drop, but I think the "O" and thus the team will be better as a whole.

T.T. and M.M. will make this team adjust, and it will be for the better.

Just a thought.

R.P.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Watch the video in my sig, Cheesey. It will answer your questions.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I am hoping the WR production drops off, but not because of switching from Brett to Rodgers. I hope that the passing production drops because the running game takes over.

You're not the only one. MM is hoping more than anybody that this happens. He said something along the lines of a perfect game is when you run the ball 50+ times.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To answer your question, Cheesey, I think MM plans to run more, even if Favre played another year. So it has little to do with Rodgers being the QB.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Why should there be a drop off?
You guys still think the gap between Aaron and Brett was that vast.
The gap between them was CLOSING fast...let's not beat around the bush here.

Aaron's ability was closing in on Brett. Durability given was not.
But his on the field acumen, his scrambling and his accuracy were
closing in...

If anything..I see the offense being more efficient.
Aaron doesn't take the risks that Brett did..

We'll probably see a slight drop in scoring but a higher drop in interceptions.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score

closing in...

Shoot me I agree. It's still an apples to oranges conversation though.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Favre was arguably the third best QB in the NFL last season. He certainly had the statistics to back up that argument. Is Aaron Rodgers, in his first year as a starter, going to be the third best QB in the NFL? I doubt it. So I do expect the receivers' numbers to dip somewhat, but nothing drastic.

As Cal2GreenBay pointed out, the gap between Favre and Rodgers was closing fast last season, and that's in spite of the fact that Favre actually played better than he had in several years. Rodgers was just getting that much better. Also, if the running game continues to improve, McCarthy won't have to run such a pass-happy attack, which is something he was forced to do out of necessity last year.

The bottom line, for me, is that once again I'm really looking forward to this season.

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ruvell Martin is ARod's favorite so look for him more often. Frankly, if Martin had made the catch across the middle against the Giants, we may have been in the SB. He's a good receiver with a lot of potential. I just hope that Rodgers will know which side his bread is buttered on, meaning don't forget Driver, Jennings and Jones who probably should be primary.

In the end, whatever wins games.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Greg C. said:
Brett Favre was arguably the third best QB in the NFL last season. He certainly had the statistics to back up that argument. Is Aaron Rodgers, in his first year as a starter, going to be the third best QB in the NFL? I doubt it. So I do expect the receivers' numbers to dip somewhat, but nothing drastic.

As Cal2GreenBay pointed out, the gap between Favre and Rodgers was closing fast last season, and that's in spite of the fact that Favre actually played better than he had in several years. Rodgers was just getting that much better. Also, if the running game continues to improve, McCarthy won't have to run such a pass-happy attack, which is something he was forced to do out of necessity last year.

The bottom line, for me, is that once again I'm really looking forward to this season.

I would say 2nd best, after Brady.

He was the runner-up MVP. They just don't give those away.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

closing in...

Not at all a knock on Rodgers.

Brett Favre is the best QB to ever play the game, in my not so humble opinion. To be anything close to Favre's abilities is a HUGE compliment.

I do think that despite who is QB'ing, we'll see a lot more running. MM really tried to do it in '07, but we kept having setbacks. In '08, I think MM will try harder. We have the backs. We just need our OGs to do their thing.

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Timing will be critical. Knowing WR tendencies and what they are capable of will determine Arods success. How far to lead, how high to throw, who will go across the middle, who has the hands...that will all take some time to develop the trust and comfort with the WRs.

Seeing how the Dallas game went when Rodgers came in, I dont think we will have too many problems with "getting adjusted". They have all of TC and preseason to get a lot of that stuff worked out.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Timing will be critical. Knowing WR tendencies and what they are capable of will determine Arods success. How far to lead, how high to throw, who will go across the middle, who has the hands...that will all take some time to develop the trust and comfort with the WRs.

Will it? Check out the video in my sig.

3 years on the team, these guys aren't exactly strangers.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Aaron Rodgers looked like he liked Greg Jennings alot already in the Dallas game.

OP
OP
C

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

(Good vid Trom!)
Thanks for all the replies!
Alot of good points made in this thread!

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

-Collinsworth - "The Packers aren't going to win a lot of games with Aaron Rodgers at QB." Next play is a 43 yard completion :lol:

That play exemplified why the Packers can perform at a level similar to last years. If Rodgers can see the field clearly, and check down when he needs to, I have very high hopes for this season.

BangTheDrum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with R.P. that I think the offense will not exactly be better, but it will be a little tighter and eat more clock. I know last season was an exception but Favre made a lot of questionable decisions over the last few years. I'm definately excited to see where this goes.

Reaction score

mkapp said:

3 years on the team, these guys aren't exactly strangers.

Good point.

I would have said that Aaron will need time to build a chemistry with Greg and Donald, but his performance against Dallas says otherwise.

Aaron already has some chemistry with Ruvell, James Jones, and K-Rob seeing as they were back-ups last year. So there shouldn't be too much of a drop of there.

You also have to think Aaron has some experience with Donald Lee as both players were back-ups a couple of years ago.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

closing in...

lets not beat around the bush...i think you're the biggest Rodgers fan on the planet, and i think it's clouding your judgement. theres going to be an adjustment period for the kid. he's going to make mistakes, and god-willing he's going to learn from those mistakes, but he needs legitimate playing time in order to do that.

if you think the kid is going to pick up where Brett left off and put up 27 points a game, light up seasoned cornerbacks out the gate...you're crazy. theres going to be a drop off. the only question is how much and for how long.

i think Aaron is a gamer, period. i think thats going to be his best asset aside from his ability of course, and i think thats going to be what makes him successful in this league. he needs time though, he's human.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to go ahead and say it may not affect them as much as you think. Remember that Dallas game? The timing of the routes likely will stay the same, and I'd be willing to say any messing up in the timing is probably A-rod's fault; however, given that he has the entire pre-season to work with his WRs, I don't see it being a problem. It would be different if Favre had retired in Mid August or Mid November.

OP
OP
C

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I kind of guessed that Cal2 was a big Rodgers fan.......maybe he's Rodgers Dad! :shock:
(Could be, you know!!!)
I think he will be ok........I just don't know how much to expect from him. The good part is, teams don't have alot of game film on him yet, so they might not be able to game plan as well the first few games of the season.
I DO like that he's a faster runner then Favre. He's not afraid to take off and get some yards, where Favre only did that rarely, cause he was about as fast as a "toitle". Rodgers will keep the LB's guessing.