Prospects You Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Kyle Lauletta falls to the right organization like Patriots. Watch out.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’d be careful about doing this.
Leaf ain't wrong. He knows what he messed up on and trying to mend his demons. Definitely has insider and player POV. Had all the talent couldn't put it together mentally.
NFL players and media will talk smack, Mayfield may break.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think my top 10 big board for the pack would look something like this

1. Saquon Barkley
2. Minkah Fitzpatrick
3. Bradley Chubb
4. denzel Ward
5. Tremaine edmunds
6. Roquan Smith
7. Derwin James
8. Marcus Davenport
9. Josh Jackson
10. Harold Landry

D

Deleted member 6794

1. Saquon Barkley
2. Minkah Fitzpatrick
3. Bradley Chubb
4. denzel Ward
5. Tremaine edmunds
6. Roquan Smith
7. Derwin James
8. Marcus Davenport
9. Josh Jackson
10. Harold Landry

I'm fine with nine out of the 10 players you listed. Davenport is ranked way too high though.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It's not like I have any kind of special information, but I'm inclined to believe that Hughes is worth the risk. It would be sweet if he fell to #45 over this stuff.

Of course, if they do end up taking a corner in the first, they may prefer another position at #45 regardless.

I agree, Hughes would be a steal at #45, but I hope we don't take him at #14. There are enough decent CB's that will be available in the 2nd round, so unless Ward or Fitz are there at 14, I hope the Packers wait.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I agree, Hughes would be a steal at #45, but I hope we don't take him at #14. There are enough decent CB's that will be available in the 2nd round, so unless Ward or Fitz are there at 14, I hope the Packers wait.

They definitely shouldn't take Hughes at #14, but I'm not so sure about good corners being there in the 2nd round. There's a drop off to me after Alexander, Hughes, and Oliver. If none of them make it to #45, I'm not sure I like anyone's value. Some people really like Donte Jackson, but he's pretty slight. Carlton Davis is up there for some, but his skillset is very narrow.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

1. Saquon Barkley
2. Minkah Fitzpatrick
3. Bradley Chubb
4. denzel Ward
5. Tremaine edmunds
6. Roquan Smith
7. Derwin James
8. Marcus Davenport
9. Josh Jackson
10. Harold Landry

Take Davenport out and change the order on this quite a bit. More like James, Landry, Smith, Ward, Jackson, Edmunds, Fitz, Chubb, Barkley.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They definitely shouldn't take Hughes at #14, but I'm not so sure about good corners being there in the 2nd round. There's a drop off to me after Alexander, Hughes, and Oliver. If none of them make it to #45, I'm not sure I like anyone's value. Some people really like Donte Jackson, but he's pretty slight. Carlton Davis is up there for some, but his skillset is very narrow.

Agreed and after I typed that (quality CB's in 2nd round), I was like, oh crap, look what happened in our mock draft.

This is possibly why the Packers may need to find a way to either manufacture another late 1st or early 2nd rd pick by either a trade back (#14 for #23 and #31) with Patriots or a packaging of later picks to trade with Cleveland for one of their top pics in Round 2.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Agreed and after I typed that (quality CB's in 2nd round), I was like, oh crap, look what happened in our mock draft.

This is possibly why the Packers may need to find a way to either manufacture another late 1st or early 2nd rd pick by either a trade back (#14 for #23 and #31) with Patriots or a packaging of later picks to trade with Cleveland for one of their top pics in Round 2.

Or just take a good DB at #14. This may be one reason, as reported, they’re pretty set on taking one in the first. It may not be true, but the rumor is that Ward is the apple of their eye and Jackson/Fitz are the more realistic options that they’ll need to decide between. It makes sense— cover corner is the most important piece of a Pettine defense.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers would have to address the cornerback position in free agency with either Breeland, Breaux or Rodgers-Cromartie if they don't select a decent one in the first two rounds of the draft.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers would have to address the cornerback position in free agency with either Breeland, Breaux or Rodgers-Cromartie if they don't select a decent one in the first two rounds of the draft.

I think they still should, unless Ward or Fitz drop into their lap. I don't expect any other rookies to be ready to jump right in and play a lot their first season. I'm still fuzzy on Fitz being played as a CB well.

I would be a lot more comfortable at CB starting the season with:
  1. King
  2. Williams
  3. DRC/Breeland/Breux
  4. House
  5. Rookie

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

It would seem that their meetings with Breeland and Breaux might have been intended to keep communication open in case they come away from the draft without the help they want. Of course, they could both draft AND sign someone. That wouldn’t go amiss.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here are all of the offensive Linemen I can find that fit the Packers' mold (6'3"+; sub 7.75 3C; sub 4.75 SS) along with their grade from Lance Zierlein. LZ's specialty is OL, so I tend to trust his takes on these guys. Following are the players that hit the marks, those who are close (within a tenth/inch of the numbers), and those notable players who don't have numbers available:
  • Quenton Nelson, 7.34
  • James Daniels, Iowa, 6.03
  • Kolton Miller, UCLA, 5.80*
  • Joe Noteboom, TCU, 5.75*
  • Brian O'Neill, PIT, 5.71*
  • Scott Quessenberry, UCLA, 5.52
  • Aaron Stinnie, JMU, 5.30*
  • Brett Toth, ARMY, 5.24
  • K.J. Malone, LSU, 5.20*
  • Elijah Nkansah, TOL, 5.13*
  • Greg Senat, WAG, 5.06*
  • Nick Gates, Nebraska, 5.00*
  • Coleman Shelton, Washington, 5.00
  • Connor Hilland, William & Mary, 4.99
  • Austin Golson, Auburn, 4.98
Close:
  • Will Hernandez, UTEP, 6.12 (6'2")
  • Connor Williams, UT, 5.87 (7.83 3C)*
  • Austin Corbett, NEV, 5.79 (7.87 3C)*
  • Will Richardson, NCSU, 5.73 (7.8 3C; 4.83 SS)
  • Desmond Harrison, WGU, 5.72 (4.79 SS)*
  • Braden Smith, AUB, 5.68 (7.81 3C; 4.77 SS)
  • Mason Cole, Michigan, 5.56 (7.77 3c; 4.78 SS)
  • Wyatt Teller, Va. Tech, 5.54 (4.84 SS)
  • Dejon Allen, Hawaii, 5.47 (4.82 SS)*
  • Colby Gossett, App State, 5.47 (4.83 SS)
  • Brandon Parker, NCAT, 5.44 (7.82 3C)
  • Taylor Hearn, Clemson, 5.35 (7.84 3C; 4.80 SS)
  • Matt Gono, Wesleyan, 5.19 (7.76 3C)
  • Anthony Coyle, Fordham, 5.08 (4.79 SS)
  • Aaron Evans, UCF, 5.00 (7.76 3C)*
  • Christian Dilauro, ASU, 4.98 (4.76 SS)
  • Austin Schlottman, TCU, 4.90 (4.76 SS)
  • K.C. McDermott, MIA, 4.90 (4.82 SS)
Notable with missing numbers:
  • Isaiah Wynn, 6.11*
  • Mike McGlinchey, 5.95*
  • Billy Price, OSU, 5.90
  • Martinas Rankin, MSU, 5.76*
  • Geron Christian, LOU, 5.61*
*Left tackle

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I wanted to have this list together so I can see whether or not Gute sticks to the thresholds.

Nick Gates, Aaron Stinnie, K.J. Malone, and Elijah NKansah are late rounders who have Packer written all over them. They're late round options who hit the athletic numbers all the way across and played left tackle in college. Aaron Evans is another who strikes me as a Packer and was just 1/100 off the mark in the 3C.

OldSchoolPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The packers need a impact player on D in this draft! The 2018 draft class is deep at CB. With that said, I’d trade up & grab Roquan Smith ILB Georgia! Pair this beast up w/ Martinez in Pettine’s new D & the packers would be set w a dynamic duo at ILB! Smith is a sound, tackling machine! I see Ray Lewis in this kid! Getting strong in the front 7 is key! A consistent pass rush helps out your secondary. Having LBs that can cover backs & TEs is vital in today’s game! Smith can disrupt a passing GM w/ his quickness & can hit! Ted traded to get back in the first round to draft Clay Matthews! And that was a good move that helped win SB 45! Smith could be that player for GB that could help transcend the team back to winning the franchises 5th & Rodgers 2nd Super Bowl! WITH THE 9th PICK in the 2018 NFL DRAFT the GREEN BAY PACKERS SELECT...ROQUAN SMITH, LB , GEORGIA! Trade that red Georgia “G” for a Green Bay Packers “G”✌

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The packers need a impact player on D in this draft! The 2018 draft class is deep at CB. With that said, I’d trade up & grab Roquan Smith ILB Georgia! Pair this beast up w/ Martinez in Pettine’s new D & the packers would be set w a dynamic duo at ILB! Smith is a sound, tackling machine! I see Ray Lewis in this kid! Getting strong in the front 7 is key! A consistent pass rush helps out your secondary. Having LBs that can cover backs & TEs is vital in today’s game! Smith can disrupt a passing GM w/ his quickness & can hit! Ted traded to get back in the first round to draft Clay Matthews! And that was a good move that helped win SB 45! Smith could be that player for GB that could help transcend the team back to winning the franchises 5th & Rodgers 2nd Super Bowl! WITH THE 9th PICK in the 2018 NFL DRAFT the GREEN BAY PACKERS SELECT...ROQUAN SMITH, LB , GEORGIA! Trade that red Georgia “G” for a Green Bay Packers “G”✌
How do you plan on getting one of those CBs without a 2nd round pick? That's about what it would take to get from 14 to 9. Might swing it with a 3rd and some 4ths.

OldSchoolPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do you plan on getting one of those CBs without a 2nd round pick? That's about what it would take to get from 14 to 9. Might swing it with a 3rd and some 4ths.

To move up would cost a 3rd rd pick. Maybe a 5? Smith is legit! And he’d be worth, both a 3rd & a 5th rounder! Realistically how many 5th rounders contribute in the first yr, if ever at all? Look at Yancy last yr! Practice squad player. Packers missed by one pick in 1996 in Ray Lewis! Remember the packers pick that yr in the 1st rd? JOHN MICHAEL! Would GB have won SB 45 if Ted didn’t trade back into the 1st rd and draft Clay? Smith needs to be a packer! Hope that happens

OldSchoolPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To move up would cost a 3rd rd pick. Maybe a 5? Smith is legit! And he’d be worth, both a 3rd & a 5th rounder! Realistically how many 5th rounders contribute in the first yr, if ever at all? Look at Yancy last yr! Practice squad player. Packers missed by one pick in 1996 in Ray Lewis! Remember the packers pick that yr in the 1st rd? JOHN MICHAEL! Would GB have won SB 45 if Ted didn’t trade back into the 1st rd and draft Clay? Smith needs to be a packer! Hope that happens
GB has had more misses than hits w/ 3rd & 5th rd picks in recent years. The last 10 years Micah Hyde was only pro bowl player(w/ bills) packers had drafted in 5th rd. Remember Alex Green rb Hawaii? Green is still playing in Canada but Ted drafted him in the 3rd rd! Kyri Thornton another 3rd rd bust by Ted. I’d take Roquan Smith over any two players the packers draft this yr in rounds 3 & 5! The two 3rd rd picks giving to the pats that yr Ted got Clay were Derek Cox & Brandon Tate. Both have made a decent career in the NFL but no where near Clay Matthews impact w/the pack!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB has had more misses than hits w/ 3rd & 5th rd picks in recent years. The last 10 years Micah Hyde was only pro bowl player(w/ bills) packers had drafted in 5th rd. Remember Alex Green rb Hawaii? Green is still playing in Canada but Ted drafted him in the 3rd rd! Kyri Thornton another 3rd rd bust by Ted. I’d take Roquan Smith over any two players the packers draft this yr in rounds 3 & 5! The two 3rd rd picks giving to the pats that yr Ted got Clay were Derek Cox & Brandon Tate. Both have made a decent career in the NFL but no where near Clay Matthews impact w/the pack!
Last year, Jones, Williams and we'll still see about Biegel. Then Martinez and Lowery and Ryan Hundley, Rip.
Then Thorton, but also Rodgers and Linsley.

Then BakhT, Tretter, Franklin(injured), Hyde and Boyd who was decent, but blew out an ankle and never got to fully develop either. There were lots of good football players taken in the middle rounds.

OldSchoolPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year, Jones, Williams and we'll still see about Biegel. Then Martinez and Lowery and Ryan Hundley, Rip.
Then Thorton, but also Rodgers and Linsley.

Then BakhT, Tretter, Franklin(injured), Hyde and Boyd who was decent, but blew out an ankle and never got to fully develop either. There were lots of good football players taken in the middle rounds.
I agree some decent players.
But when you can get the caliber of player like Smith, You’re not losing out, your gaining an impact player that will instantly make your team better!✌

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree some decent players.
But when you can get the caliber of player like Smith, You’re not losing out, your gaining an impact player that will instantly make your team better!✌
I would like a guy like that in the middle. I think Dom favored some DB's and OLB's for pressure and the defense. I have a feeling we'll see more emphasis on DL and LB's especially inside guys being more than just bodies out there for other guys to work around and make plays. I think ILB will get more attention in this defense in terms of what the team is willing to invest, than what our last DC required.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I've been watching a lot of D.J. Chark lately. There's a lot to like there. The speed is his calling card, and it is evident. But I really like how he takes advantage of it on hitches and comebacks. He can be a dangerous YAC threat in those situations. I also saw a post-corner route I really liked, as well as some shallow crossers and out routes back to the sideline. He lined up all over the formation-- as the flanker, in the slot, in line, and in the backfield. He's a dangerous option on end-arounds and punt returns. He's also a really physical blocker in the running and screen game. He isn't a 50/50 ball receiver, but he can track the ball over his head and catches the back should ball well. I could see Rodgers having a field day throw back should fades to him since DB's would have to respect his downfield speed.

He's certainly not a perfect prospect. He's fast but not especially quick, I'm assuming he didn't often play the X because of the reports that he can struggle with physical press corners, and his routes can be sloppy/rounded. But the book on him is that he's a mature leader who puts in the work. If true, he would profile as a guy that you can count on getting better.

I'm leery of athletic WR prospects who run like 3 routes in college and only ever line up in one spot. Chark isn't refined, but he also isn't that. And he would bring to the Packers exactly what their receiving corps is missing-- speed. If he's there at #45, I think he needs to be a strong consideration.

Now if internally, the FO thinks enough of Allison, Yancey, and Clark to want to let that situation play out and see if they have their #2 WR on the roster already, then I think you can turn your attention to an eventual replacement of Cobb-- someone like Miller or Kirk. Kirk is literally a Cobb clone. It's freaky. They come out of the same conference with the same skill set and eerily similar production. Look at thetir physical/athletic comparison:

Cobb:
  • 5'10" 191 lbs, 31" arms, 9.5" hands
  • 4.46 forty yard dash
  • 33.5" vertical; 115" broad
  • 7.08 three cone
  • 4.34 short shuttle
Kirk:
  • 5'10" 201 lbs, 30.5" arms, 10" hands
  • 4.47 forty yard dash
  • 35.5" vertical; 115" broad
  • 7.09 three cone
  • 4.45 short shuttle
Crazy close. They're both short, compact slot options who demonstrate elite agility and COD skills on tape but tested poorly in the agility drills. Their speed is essentially identical and they are/were both really good punt returners.

So if the FO wants to let the situation at Z simmer for a season, they might target Kirk to use as a backup to Cobb and punt returner for a year. Then you have a clone to replace him with in 2019.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
  • I've been watching a lot of D.J. Chark lately. There's a lot to like there. The speed is his calling card, and it is evident. But I really like how he takes advantage of it on hitches and comebacks. He can be a dangerous YAC threat in those situations. I also saw a post-corner route I really liked, as well as some shallow crossers and out routes back to the sideline. He lined up all over the formation-- as the flanker, in the slot, in line, and in the backfield. He's a dangerous option on end-arounds and punt returns. He's also a really physical blocker in the running and screen game. He isn't a 50/50 ball receiver, but he can track the ball over his head and catches the back should ball well. I could see Rodgers having a field day throw back should fades to him since DB's would have to respect his downfield speed.
He's certainly not a perfect prospect. He's fast but not especially quick, I'm assuming he didn't often play the X because of the reports that he can struggle with physical press corners, and his routes can be sloppy/rounded. But the book on him is that he's a mature leader who puts in the work. If true, he would profile as a guy that you can count on getting better.

I'm leery of athletic WR prospects who run like 3 routes in college and only ever line up in one spot. Chark isn't refined, but he also isn't that. And he would bring to the Packers exactly what their receiving corps is missing-- speed. If he's there at #45, I think he needs to be a strong consideration.

Now if internally, the FO thinks enough of Allison, Yancey, and Clark to want to let that situation play out and see if they have their #2 WR on the roster already, then I think you can turn your attention to an eventual replacement of Cobb-- someone like Miller or Kirk. Kirk is literally a Cobb clone. It's freaky. They come out of the same conference with the same skill set and eerily similar production. Look at thetir physical/athletic comparison:

Cobb:
  • 5'10" 191 lbs, 31" arms, 9.5" hands
  • 4.46 forty yard dash
  • 33.5" vertical; 115" broad
  • 7.08 three cone
  • 4.34 short shuttle
Kirk:
  • 5'10" 201 lbs, 30.5" arms, 10" hands
  • 4.47 forty yard dash
  • 35.5" vertical; 115" broad
  • 7.09 three cone
  • 4.45 short shuttle
Crazy close. They're both short, compact slot options who demonstrate elite agility and COD skills on tape but tested poorly in the agility drills. Their speed is essentially identical and they are/were both really good punt returners.

So if the FO wants to let the situation at Z simmer for a season, they might target Kirk to use as a backup to Cobb and punt returner for a year. Then you have a clone to replace him with in 2019.

I love Kirk, Miller, and DJ Moore if we're looking for a future slot receiver that could possibly play outside as well. Moore seems like he's going to go a lot higher than expected and I like Kirk a lot. That being said, I fell in love with Anthony Miller all season and not much has changed for me yet. He just has that "it" factor on the field and he tested very well at his pro day.

Anthony Miller:

• 5'11"
  • 201 lbs
  • 10" hands
  • 31 5/8"
  • 4.50 forty
  • 39" Vert
  • 6.65 3 cone
  • 4.26 short shuttle
He's got a better 3 cone than DJ Moore and the same vert, but Moore beats Miller at the short shuttle with a 4.07. Besides Miller, I can't help but be curious about the size and speed of EQ St. Brown. He has such a high ceiling that he's worth the risk on day 2. If we're looking at late round wide receivers, I'd love to take a look at Wims(UGA) or Watson(PSU).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts