Post Draft Free Agency

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
As we have made it through the draft, there will probably be a transaction or two before training camp to fill in spots of the roster. I wanted to highlight who is still out there. However, it's also possible that the FO would rather wait for preseason to make acquisitions, via trade or otherwise, as they did last year with B.J. Goodson.

WR: If Gutekunst wasn't interested in an addition at WR unless it was a player that they felt could help immediately, then he may choose to stand pat, or make a substantial addition via trade rather than pick someone up out of the names that are left (with the former being for more likely than the latter). But here they are nonetheless.
  • Taylor Gabriel: Itsy bitsy go/screen weapon; history with Petals; consussion issues IIRC.
  • Paul Richardson: Modestly productive with Seattle, he ended up being a FA bust in Washington.
  • Rashard Higgins: Chain moving possession guy; seemed to be carving out a role in 2018, but got buried on depth chart last year.
  • Tavon Austin: Gadget player; recently turned 30; can return for you but no longer dynamic.
OL: Offensive line is going to be pretty crowded in camp as it is, but depending on how they view Light and Runyan, they might still want a veteran tackle.
  • Cordy Glenn: 30, has struggled with injuries, and not what he once was; would still be one of the best swing tackles in the league if he's not injured.
  • Kelvin Beachum: Similarly, 30, and not what he once was, but would likely be an upgrade at tackle as far as depth is concerned.
  • Jared Veldheer: They seemed to like him a year ago, but I think the tackle market offers better, younger options.
iDL: Because Z. Smith gives the Packers so many snaps inside, this never made sense to me as the super pressing need that many found it to be. That said, adding a veteran would be fine, especially one who helps in the run defense arena.
  • Damon Harrison: Was the elite run defender in the league from 2013-2018. Last year was a down year (for the entire DET front). 31 yo and would be worth a look in spot duty.
  • Mike Daniels: Injuries did not allow him to do much with the Lions; might be a guy to bring back if he's ready to be a part time player and mentor.
LB: Last year, Martinez played over 98% of snaps, and the next highest off-ball linebacker was at 24%. So this isn't a position that sees a lot of usage overall, and thus might not be viewed as a super pressing need. Kirksey is clearly plan A as the every down guy. A base defense MIKE can likely be found during preseason. But there is one player who would provide a pretty strong backup to Kirk. I will also include a few safeties who could play the dime linebacker role that Pettine has liked to use.
  • Nigel Bradham: Bradham has been fading as a starter in Philly, but would still make for a strong reserve. Played virtually no ST last year and would have to as a backup LB.
  • Tony Jefferson: Dime LB candidate.
  • Clayton Geathers: Dime LB candidate.
CB: The Packers currently have Chandon Sullivan, Josh Jackson, and Ka'Dar Hollman behind the starters. At least (at least) one more capable player is needed here.
  • Darqueze Dennard: Never made good on 1st rd draft status, but developed into reliable and tough slot corner; was signed early but deal w/ Jax fell through.
  • Prince Amukamara: A consistently solid outside corner for years, Amukamara could work if they let Jaire cover the slot.
  • Logan Ryan: Slot CB who has overvalued himself this off-season; claimed wouldn't play for less than 10M-- maybe he's coming around?
  • Tramon Williams: Was still a good CB3 for the Packers last year, but at 37 yo, you're playing with fire.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Darqueze Dennard is #1 on this list for me and it's not close.

I know that Tramon Williams is more likely, and I would be A OK with that decision over just rolling with the young/inexperienced depth, but it makes me pretty nervous to have so much riding on a player that old. Just seems like the cliff could hit him at any moment, and older players typically come up small late in the season/post-season when it matters most.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Darqueze Dennard is #1 on this list for me and it's not close.

I know that Tramon Williams is more likely, and I would be A OK with that decision over just rolling with the young/inexperienced depth, but it makes me pretty nervous to have so much riding on a player that old. Just seems like the cliff could hit him at any moment, and older players typically come up small late in the season/post-season when it matters most.
I'd second this. Prob with Gabriel and Daniels as a close second and third. Jefferson and Higgins would also be good pick ups imo

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Are you at all interested in Percy Harvin I heard He's trying to get back in the game.

Not really, but I guess one never knows.

He would be 32, 4 years removed from playing in the league, and 8 years removed from playing well.

The chance that he becomes a helpful player in the NFL again are above zero, but not by much.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another name that might be available is Kenny Stills. Sounds like he is likely to be cut.

I would love a run stuffing DT and a cb. Harrison and Denard would be great but pretty unlikely. Although with all the interior lineman they drafted they could create some cap space.

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think my top target would be Tramon.

And Jordy if you could get him to come out of retirement.

Also I am slightly surprised you didn't list CM3 I don't particularly want him because of his injuries and our cap situation but I do think if the price tag was vet minimum I could get onboard with bringing him back as ILB/OLB4.

H

HardRightEdge

Not really, but I guess one never knows.

He would be 32, 4 years removed from playing in the league, and 8 years removed from playing well.

The chance that he becomes a helpful player in the NFL again are above zero, but not by much.
All that. And when I see a player like this wanting a comeback I can't help but think it is more about burning through his money with no alternate career options than some burning desire to play the game.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Not a free agent, but there are rumors floating around about Kenny Stills being on the block for Houston.

Stills just turned 28 and is heading into a contract year with the Texans.

Over the course of his career, he's been a very useful speed threat, both vertically and on crossing routes. He's traditionally been near the top of the league in terms of air yards per target, but the Texans used him a little bit more in the quick game. He tracks the deep ball really well, has reliable hands, and did a nice job last year of presenting a helpful target to Watson when the play broke down and he needed to scramble.

His numbers in Houston last year extrapolated over 16 games would be about 50/700/5, which is about in line with his career norms.

He would cost 7M in cap space in 2020. The Packers would need to make some adjustments to make room for him, but a good chunk of it could be handled by including Lane Taylor in the deal. The Texans need guard help.

He would be a nice acquisition to help the current roster, and he wouldn't require a long term commitment.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Another potential trade target that's floating out there, Curtis Samuel.

Samuel came out of OSU as a lightning fast gadget weapon. He had more rushing attempts than receptions his last year playing for the Buckeyes. The Panthers took his 4.31 speed and moved him to a traditional WR role, which has show some promise. He's gone from gadget weapon to downfield threat over his first few years in the league.

As he's on the last year of a rookie deal, he would only cost 1.2M in space space. Despite entering year four, he's still only 23 years old (won't turn 24 until August).

His production did not match expectations of a breakout in 2019, but that's partially explained by QB play. Per PFF, of the 26 players to receive 100+ targets last year, Samuel had the lowest rate of catchable passes at 62%.

He would certainly add a unique element to the offense.

I am torn between him and Stills. Because of age and trajectory, I think I lean towards Samuel, but Stills is probably the safer bet for immediate, veteran help.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
LOL...funny, I was just about to post this article:

https://lombardiave.com/2020/05/01/packers-three-wide-receivers-trade/

In it are discussions about trying to trade for one of Samuel, Stills or Woods.

Pretty obvious if you know me, trading for one of these guys would please me. I think doing so would serve multi-purposes now:
  • improve the WR group
  • improve the offense
  • quite possibly please #12 and show the Packers commitment to wanting to give him additional weapons
  • Please and quiet some doubters that somehow Gute and MLF are ready to move on from #12

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
LOL...funny, I was just about to post this article:

https://lombardiave.com/2020/05/01/packers-three-wide-receivers-trade/

In it are discussions about trying to trade for one of Samuel, Stills or Woods.

Pretty obvious if you know me, trading for one of these guys would please me. I think doing so would serve multi-purposes now:
  • improve the WR group
  • improve the offense
  • quite possibly please #12 and show the Packers commitment to wanting to give him additional weapons
  • Please and quiet some doubters that somehow Gute and MLF are ready to move on from #12

What I like about Stills and Samuel is that in 2 WR sets, they would be some legit speed on the field across from Adams. Speed to threaten vertically and horizontally, as well as after the catch, is really what the offense is missing at this point.

I think Samuel is a more explosive player at this point in their respective careers, but Stills is more likely to be attainable. Either one would be a good addition.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What I like about Stills and Samuel is that in 2 WR sets, they would be some legit speed on the field across from Adams. Speed to threaten vertically and horizontally, as well as after the catch, is really what the offense is missing at this point.

I think Samuel is a more explosive player at this point in their respective careers, but Stills is more likely to be attainable. Either one would be a good addition.

As much as everyone, including myself, wanted to see the Packers grab a top rookie WR in the draft, I do think that addition of one of these guys could work out better, at least in the short term. I don't doubt that out of the 37 or so Rookie WR's, some of them are going to be excellent. Which ones, when and with what team are the unknowns. The Packers very well could have used a high pick on a WR with a variety of results ranging from instant contributor to dud.

If there was ever a time to try and get AR another proven weapon, now is that time. Might go a long way in delivering a message to Aaron, the team, the media and the fans of "We believe in #12 and this is a piece that we think he needs".

All that said, I felt the same way about the WR position and potential future moves last year at this time, so I am not going to expect or hold out hope that Gute will trade for or sign a Vet WR.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
As much as everyone, including myself, wanted to see the Packers grab a top rookie WR in the draft, I do think that addition of one of these guys could work out better, at least in the short term. I don't doubt that out of the 37 or so Rookie WR's, some of them are going to be excellent. Which ones, when and with what team are the unknowns. The Packers very well could have used a high pick on a WR with a variety of results ranging from instant contributor to dud.

If there was ever a time to try and get AR another proven weapon, now is that time. Might go a long way in delivering a message to Aaron, the team, the media and the fans of "We believe in #12 and this is a piece that we think he needs".

All that said, I felt the same way about the WR position and potential future moves last year at this time, so I am not going to expect or hold out hope that Gute will trade for or sign a Vet WR.

Yes-- for 2020 only, these guys have the higher chance of making the greater impact compared to a rookie. 2021 and beyond is, of course, a different story.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yes-- for 2020 only, these guys have the higher chance of making the greater impact compared to a rookie. 2021 and beyond is, of course, a different story.

Yes, I think it would be correct to say that some of the drafted rookie WR's have the potential to be better than either Samuel or Stills, but when that happens is the unknown. Also, some of them may end up not making it in the NFL. I think the Packers would have known commodities in both Samuel and Stills, but shouldn't plan on either improving a whole lot more than what they have already shown in the NFL. Also, they probably don't just jump into the Packer offense without some growing pains either.

Have to wonder how much the uncertainty of the 2020 season is factoring into a lot of decisions for Gute and the Packers. Especially when it comes to trades, guaranteed money, bonuses and one year contracts. I know they just signed FA DL Hester yesterday, but guessing that was very little money or guarantees. I would be hesitant to trade away draft picks for a player who only has 1 year left on his contract.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The untapped potential of Samuel is more intriguing to me than Stills. A slot/gadget guy like Samuel I think would just be more of a fit. Either though would be an upgrade.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The untapped potential of Samuel is more intriguing to me than Stills. A slot/gadget guy like Samuel I think would just be more of a fit. Either though would be an upgrade.

There have been mixed reports on Samuel. Some have said he's being shopped (or was being shopped) and others say that teams were just inquiring. Who knows.

I will say that it would make way more sense for the Texans to trade Stills than for the Panthers to trade Samuel.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Samuel has one of the lowest EPAs of all receivers in the league. He's probably not much different than what GB has now

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Samuel has one of the lowest EPAs of all receivers in the league. He's probably not much different than what GB has now

That's probably true if we take EPA to be authoritative. I'm not certain how that metric is ascertained, or how reliable Advanced Football Analytics is as an outlet.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's probably true if we take EPA to be authoritative. I'm not certain how that metric is ascertained, or how reliable Advanced Football Analytics is as an outlet.

I feel like I'm pretty up on things, but EPA is a new one to me. Unless we're talking about that overreaching organization.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Kenny Stills caught 9/12 passes 20+ yards down the field last season. That 75% success rate was league best on such targets.

He's still got it down the field.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The other name that's being kicked around is Corey Davis of Tennessee. This is being driven mostly by his past experience with Petals and the fact that the Titans didn't pick up his 5th year option. I don't think he's a realistic target. They don't really have much beyond him and A.J. Brown.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davis could be an option after 2020. He's one of the best run blockers in addition to being way underutilized in TN