Pick #30, Who are your favorite prospects?

Who do you take at 30?

• Grant Delpit S LSU

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Jonathan Taylor RB Wisconsin

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Justin Herbert QB Oregon

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Cesar Ruiz OL Michigan

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has anyone ever guessed our #1 pick correctly?
I remember someone posting on this board that he thought we would draft Kenny Clark. I remember cause I didn't know who the hell Clark was and was therefore very strongly against drafting him. How naive I was.

Patrick Queen, Josh Jones, Denzel Mims. But to be fair there are so many WR's with which we can't go wrong imo. Also I'd be strongly opposed with using our first rounder on DL. Definitely a need we should address in FA.

isocleas2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think ideally the Packers fill the tight end position in free agency, and hopefully either a right tackle or ILB. So whichever position they dont address in FA they can fill with #30. If one of the top ILB/RT/WR/DL are not available trade back and pick from the next batch.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever guessed our #1 pick correctly?
I would think someone here may have guessed Dix correctly but I get your drift, it’s always been a shot in the dark normally. Thompson didn’t give away any hints.

morango

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because I am stuck at home, thought maybe we would play a little game. Here’s the scenario.

Pick 30 comes up and the four players in the attached poll are the four highest-rated players on your board. All four have equal grades, represent good value at #30, and are quite a bit higher than the next players on your board. The top tier of WRs and LBs are all gone. No one is looking to trade up for #30 so you have to pick one of these guys.

You get to be Gutey. If you have the time, explain your thinking.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because I am stuck at home, thought maybe we would play a little game. Here’s the scenario.

Pick 30 comes up and the four players in the attached poll are the four highest-rated players on your board. All four have equal grades, represent good value at #30, and are quite a bit higher than the next players on your board. The top tier of WRs and LBs are all gone. No one is looking to trade up for #30 so you have to pick one of these guys.

You get to be Gutey. If you have the time, explain your thinking.
I’m partial to a RT with that pick, under the conditions you describe, but I take Taylor. Why? Jones coming into a contract year. RB is a punishing position and it’s good to great to have depth there, especially in MLF’s scheme emphasizing the run and run-like options (jet sweep, bubble screen).

(Disclaimer, I know nothing about Ruiz. If he grades out well as a RT, I probably take him.)

Fun exercise. Thanks.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly could not disagree more.

If I'm taking a WR round one, I'd prefer that they've shown they can beat man press. Not always possible because you don't see a ton of it in college, but a requirement is that they've shown they can win from the outside. Jefferson has done neither. Doesn't mean he's bad, but Rd 1, not for me.

Gallimore is a freak athlete with good power and linear speed, but poor agilities. He doesn't anchor well, doesn't two gap that well, he's a gap shooter. He's a poor fit for what we do on defense, and he's got a ton of developing to do. He's a 2nd or 3rd round player, at best.
Hey GG, good points. Who is your pick at #30. FWIW, I like Mims.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My favorite realistic options at #30?

1) Trade down a few spots and get a late 3rd or early 4th
2) Denzel Mims
3) Kenneth Murray
4) Cesar Ruiz
5) Zack Baun
6) Ross Blacklock
7) Trade up 10 spots for Andrew Thomas
Probably not gonna get Murray or Baun unless we trade up, but I understand this is a wish list, and a good one at that!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would think someone here may have guessed Dix correctly but I get your drift, it’s always been a shot in the dark normally. Thompson didn’t give away any hints.
I think Dix was the most obvious first rd pick in the last ten years. As for the other years, I’ve always been surprised (and mostly not in a good way), with our #1 pick. Gary being the most recent example. A development project at #12? Yikes. But it’s early and I hope I’m wrong.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shelf life of RBs is not very good. Taylor is a great RB and a great person. I think he will be a very good receiver as well. Jones may be looking for too much money next year.

It was close call with Ruiz. But I prefer a guard later and move Jenkins to center.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shelf life of RBs is not very good. Taylor is a great RB and a great person. I think he will be a very good receiver as well. Jones may be looking for too much money next year.

It was close call with Ruiz. But I prefer a guard later and move Jenkins to center.
Agreed. And I forgot about how much Taylor improved his receiver skills last year. That alone probably brings him into RD 1. He’s a RB first and foremost, but would give Rodgers a reliable target underneath. Jenkins could move to C and they can still probably find a decent OL (preferable a RT) later in the draft, or with cap casualties. Same for WRs. All signs point to Gluten taking a WR at #30, but again, that depends on if/who he can bring in from FA and cap casualties. Many questions yet to be answered.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So wait, you went with Ruiz?

Personally, I went with Taylor. Underrated RB prospect, and would maybe give us the best one two punch in the backfield in the league. We might not want to extend AJ. Also it would eleviate a lot of pressure of AR and the passing game.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So wait, you went with Ruiz?

Personally, I went with Taylor. Underrated RB prospect, and would maybe give us the best one two punch in the backfield in the league. We might not want to extend AJ. Also it would eleviate a lot of pressure of AR and the passing game.
No I went with Taylor. I was saying we dont need a center because we can get a guard later and move Jenkins to center. I do believe we need a center.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I am against targeting a replacement for Rodgers this year, but if Justin Herbert somehow fell to #30, I run to the podium and make that selection. He's a great QB prospect. Slam dunk over those other options.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am against targeting a replacement for Rodgers this year, but if Justin Herbert somehow fell to #30, I run to the podium and make that selection. He's a great QB prospect. Slam dunk over those other options.

At the very least, we can turn him into a TE.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Josh Jones
Denzel Mims
Jalen Reagor
Brandon Aiyuk

If we can trade down and get one, awesome.

If we can't, just take one of them. Goodness I'm excited to get some good WR talent in this draft!

Reaction score
Christian McCaffrey was also similarly undervalued due to “wear and tear” and “RB trending obsolete” and we’ve all seen how that worked out.

I think Taylor would get top quality help in improving his receiving game and ball control (both weaknesses). The combo of Jones and Taylor would instantly give GB the most dangerous running 1-2 punch in the league. If either RB missed time there would be virtually zero drop-off.

Taylor gives GB the best shot at an immediate and noticeable Offensive weapon (of this group) and allows GB to use Aaron Jones as a dual purpose Slot option and create a total mismatch with many LBs. If GB combined that RB selection at #30 and made a move into the top #50 (where they could also likely still get Ruiz) to get one of these top #5-6 WR they would be instantly better on Offense. They not only should plug O resources this draft, they’re just simply long overdue.

While not flashy picks thus far, GB also now has the ability to wait until day 2/early day 3 to get the best of a LB, WR, OL or even DT.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Christian McCaffrey was undervalued? He was taken 8th overall.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If WR and OT get cleaned out, I'd be open to Jaylon Johnson, CB out of Utah. He'd have a role as a rookie and would project to upgrade over Kevin King in 2021.

Members online

No members online now.