Penn State

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Isnt it "odd" that just recently Jo Pa got the record for most wins 2 weeks ago???? And all of sudden this breaks? To much of a coincidence if you ask me..

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isnt it "odd" that just recently Jo Pa got the record for most wins 2 weeks ago???? And all of sudden this breaks? To much of a coincidence if you ask me..

I've actually been thinking the same thing. I'm not suggesting the allegations are not true, but it's one hell of a coincidence that this is breaking now. Penn State is 5-0. If somebody was sitting on this information and waiting for the time to release it that would do the most damage, they couldn't of picked a better time.

Also, they may of jumped the gun a little too soon in "firing" people or whatever they call it. The investigation into this case hasn't even really begun. I think the board felt pressure by outside sources and thought they had to make it look like they were doing something. This is a huge slight on the face of Penn State, but I think they may of reacted to soon. You don't know what really went down yet and as another poster suggested, more info is likely to come out.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He said I will retire after end of the season...I think the BOD decided he wasnt going to tell THEM what he was going to do..They wanted to show that they were still in charge, and what better way than to fire Jo

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
He said I will retire after end of the season...I think the BOD decided he wasnt going to tell THEM what he was going to do..They wanted to show that they were still in charge, and what better way than to fire Jo

I think they realized that they had better take extreme action at this point to limit the University's potential liability.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they realized that they had better take extreme action at this point to limit the University's potential liability.

Too little, too late.

I think lawsuits are going to rain down on Penn State.

I hope I'm wrong but I think we've only begun to scratch the surface of this sickening scandal. :tdown:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Too little, too late.

I think lawsuits are going to rain down on Penn State.

I hope I'm wrong but I think we've only begun to scratch the surface of this sickening scandal. :tdown:

Yup more will come of this...

And lawsuits will be plenty something like 8 kids?

Wait till he gets to jail..

MNPackAttack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
paterno was scapegoated for what happened. it was not neccessary to fire him because he reported everything he knew to the correct people. sad that he had to have his career end like this

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
8 kids that we know of. A 9th victim came forward in the last few days and God knows how many are still out there but are afraid to come forward and become involved in this scandal. I think this is just the tip of the ice burg too. I think more people on campus knew of this but didn't alert the proper authorities. What about McCleary? If Joe Pa was fired, why not him too? He pretty much did the same thing Joe Pa did or it's about what the didn't do. But McCleary was the one who witnessed the incident and told his boss, Joe Pa about it. Joe Pa then reported it to his boss, who as far as we know, did nothing. Witnessing a crime and not reporting it to the police is just as bad. This has been going on for the last 15 years, how the hell wasn't it stopped? Something is still not making sense. This is just the beginning of a legal nightmare that is going to have lasting consequences for those involved.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
paterno was scapegoated for what happened. it was not neccessary to fire him because he reported everything he knew to the correct people. sad that he had to have his career end like this

He was railroaded in a manner of speaking. It's odd how he is getting more attention than the person who committed the crimes. Perhaps, The Board thought that taking down the largest, perhaps most beloved figure involved would somehow appease the crime/ scandal in the eyes of the victims and the media or make it look like some sort of justice. I don't think it will work, all they did by firing him was elevate the scandal even more by bringing more attention to it. No matter how many people they fire, NOTHING can erase what was done or make something of this magnitude go away.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe it was the fact that Paterno might have lied about what he was told? Maybe he was the one that allowed Sandusky to stay on campus?

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Really feel bad for those poor boys. Who got abused and their families. As they will have to live with this for the rest of their lives. :(

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
This whole thing makes me sick to my stomach. I have been near speechless on it. I don't even want to think about it at times but I actually read up all about it and my heart sank.

Sick creatures. Just flat out sick.

What a mess this school is in too.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone catch the Penn. Governor talking today?
What I heard was: Penn State is a fine University...All colleges have some dirt.... blah blah blah.
Reminded of the Pope defending priests for what they did.
And the same gov. was the State Atty. Gen. investigating this back in 2009. WTF took them so long? Why wait for 2 more years?
If he was smart he would have kept his trap shut instead of trying to do damage control which failed.
I think it would be some great poetic justice if students dropped out and after being accepted to attend rejected going there in huge amounts.
But a boycott of Penn State probably won't happen since those in charge will do all they can to sweep this under the rug as quickly as possible.
I don't think any of them give a damn about the victims. Instead they will do what they can to ensure that the money will keep on rolling in while trying to keep the reputation from being tarnished.
F U to Penn State.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what happens in the Nebraska/Penn State game.
Will the Huskers be so fired up that they will win and will Penn be so demoralized?
Whichever, I won't mind if the Huskers win.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a bad feeling that this story is only gonna get deeper, darker and a lot more evil than we could all imagine.

Just WAIT until they search Sandusky's home and when that story gets out. They will find child **** more than likely peppered through out his house. Im also betting a child **** ring was taking place there as well.

And im willing to bet that the # of victims will be staggering.
Let's not get carried away.
A child **** stash? Maybe, maybe not. **** does not lead to ****. But is his mind different than those who **** adult women?
A child **** ring? I kinda doubt it.
But I think there could be, unfortunately, more victims.
8-9 in the span of 15 years does seem like a small number. Hopefully that's it though.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-marquette-sex-assaults-1111-20111111,0,2593792.story

This is interesting..

What if the "coach" of the athletes knew of the charges, but didnt go to the cops..Shouldnt that coach be fired like Paterno?

They cite the Clery Act

The Clery Act requires all colleges and universities that participate in federal financial aid programs to keep and disclose information about crime on and near their respective campuses.

Compliance is monitored by the United States Department of Education, which can impose civil penalties, up to $27,500 per violation, against institutions for each infraction and can suspend institutions from participating in federal student financial aid programs.

So is this issue with Marquette the same as Paterno?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a really good take on why Joe Paterno should have been fired.
http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/...state-did-right-thing-getting-rid-joe-paterno

Paterno just pleasantly resumed his role as Joe Paterno, college icon. What became of the 10-year-old victim? Who knows? Apparently, Paterno wasn't terribly concerned.
For a man of Paterno's stature to turn his back on a child, to allow what appears to be a serial child predator to continue to have access to his program -- shockingly, Sandusky maintained an office across the street from the Penn State football team's building -- is totally unforgivable.
Legally, Paterno is clear. Morally, he is as guilty as any of the adults who maintained a code of inactivity -- especially McQueary, who chose to flee the building rather than assist a helpless child.
For those who continue to cling to the notion that because Paterno fulfilled his legal obligation, he should be allowed to finish this season on his own terms, I pose this question: If that 10-year-old in the showers with Sandusky was your brother, cousin, nephew, friend or neighbor, would you be satisfied with how Paterno handled the situation?
And now a follow-up question: How would you have felt if Paterno took the field on Saturday and thousands were cheering him?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel sensitive to creepy things that go on in places.
So if I was a Penn State coach, I would probably feel dirty taking a shower in the place where the shower incident took place. I'd probably have to take my showers at home unless they tore down the showers and rebuilt.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
This is just ******* sickening.

I never was a fan of Penn State, but I had respect of them as a team.

Honestly, let's be honest, Joe Paterno should have retired years ago. I know he won 2 Championships, and they talk like he's the greatest coach ever, but I think the game has passed him up big time. Great coach in his prime, but he never was the greatest college coach of all time, he don't even come close to Bear Bryant. Had the Bear had that much time that Joe has, I'm sure he would have hit 400 wins, and probably would have won more National Championships. Paterno reminds me of Bobby Bowden from Florida State, also a great coach in his prime, but the game had passed him up big time by the end of his career.

The whole scandal at Penn State makes them look like the Catholic Church, it's really sickening.

For one thing, I do believe that Joe should have reported the incident when it happened. Now he claims he did after he was retired. They kept this hush hush for so long, and the aftermath has really cast a black cloud on Joe's career. He should have did more than he did, but now Penn State will never be looked at the same, especially after those kids got out there and rioted. He's throwing it everywhere now saying he told the school board or what ever, but if they didn't do anything, anyone else would have went to the police, or at least I would have, but he's different than me. I'm a big mouth, I would have raised hell over it.

I do not agree with taking wins away. They have discussed this, and I did not agree with it when they did that to USC over Reggie Bush, I have NEVER agreed with them taking away National Championships, and if they do, I think it's wrong, because that's something the kids earned as a team, and despite the coaching staff, you are taking that away from the kids. Like Reggie Bush, they totally stripped him and the team, taking it away from everyone.

Members online

Latest posts