OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
Mortfini said:
what if in the draft we could kill to birds with 1 stone and draft a CB that returns Punts and kicks

Is that what Will Blackmon was drafted for, competition on the PR duties. He was drafted in the third round and should be able to supply something. Unless he is a bust?

its not that big a deal but he was drafted in the 4th round. Abdul Hodge and Jason Spitz were are two thrid round picks.

My bad, I knew that too, good catch :)

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, we couldn't expect TT to pay a guy MORE than $1.3mil + incentives, can we? Hell, that's a lot of money when you have only $14mil to spend, isn't it? Thank goodness we have a GM who refuses to pay market prices. Who do these pro players think they are, anyway? Just because there are punters making more money than that(not on the Packers, of course) why should DBs with experience expect to be respected with a decent contract? Shame on them! Well, now James can just go ahead and play for a team with a real chance in the SB derby. It'll just put him in a higher tax bracket now. :twocents:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed. how dare ted not get a cornerback when we have al harris and charles woodson, those guys suck. because im sure thats what tory james would have wanted, to come to Gb and play nickel back.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, we couldn't expect TT to pay a guy MORE than $1.3mil + incentives, can we? Hell, that's a lot of money when you have only $14mil to spend, isn't it? Thank goodness we have a GM who refuses to pay market prices. Who do these pro players think they are, anyway? Just because there are punters making more money than that(not on the Packers, of course) why should DBs with experience expect to be respected with a decent contract? Shame on them! Well, now James can just go ahead and play for a team with a real chance in the SB derby. It'll just put him in a higher tax bracket now. :twocents:

Lol, I agree completely. It was a given that GB wouldn't sign him. The Pats sure are making alot of moves.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed. how dare ted not get a cornerback when we have al harris and charles woodson, those guys suck. because im sure thats what tory james would have wanted, to come to Gb and play nickel back.

I doubt he will be anything more than that in NE. We lack depth at the CB, so it wouldn't have been a bad signing.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just wait until the end of the season and then we'll compare the Packers record to the Patriots. What they're doing this offseason is stupid, everybody knows that you get to the Super Bowl by building through the draft.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Here is my opinion on NE, they are looking up for one final run under BB, I don't see him staying there much longer. That is what all this activity seems like, they were missing pieces from last year, they had a lead on the Colts an blew it. This smells like a go for broke type moves. Just an Opinion.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is my opinion on NE, they are looking up for one final run under BB, I don't see him staying there much longer. That is what all this activity seems like, they were missing pieces from last year, they had a lead on the Colts an blew it. This smells like a go for broke type moves. Just an Opinion.

I can't say I agree completely. I don't buy into the gearing for a run thing. In the NFL, with FA, every year you can make a run. NE wants to put the best product they can on the field every year. They are just making there normal push. This year they have alot more holes to fill so they are doing that.

They are ATTEMPTING to improve, and thats respectable.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just wait until the end of the season and then we'll compare the Packers record to the Patriots. What they're doing this offseason is stupid, everybody knows that you get to the Super Bowl by building through the draft.

Duhhh

Reaction score
Lare said:

Duhhh

The thing is, though, that the Pats have the best franchise QB in the NFL right now, and he can make average talent look above average. They have a core of vets that can make one last run, and the Pats retooled to make a final run.

The Packers are in the exact opposite situation, so I'm not sure why anyone would compare the two.

If anything, I'd compare the Packers to the 49ers because we are similar in terms of retooling, and the Packers took an extremely conservative approach to FA while the 49ers retooled (to some extent) in Free Agency.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Lare said:

Duhhh

The thing is, though, that the Pats have the best franchise QB in the NFL right now, and he can make average talent look above average. They have a core of vets that can make one last run, and the Pats retooled to make a final run.

The Packers are in the exact opposite situation, so I'm not sure why anyone would compare the two.

If anything, I'd compare the Packers to the 49ers because we are similar in terms of retooling, and the Packers took an extremely conservative approach to FA while the 49ers retooled (to some extent) in Free Agency.

Excellent post. Comparing the Packers to the Patriots is asking a lot especially when you pointed out Tom Brady is in his prime but don't for get Bill Belichick as well. He'll get the most out of that team where as McCarthy is promising but he's not on that level yet.

I think comparing the Packers to the 49ers is a very fair assessment. They finished one game apart. The 49ers chose to dig deep in free agency and the Packers did not.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Patriots have already built their team through the Draft. They are just putting themselves over top with free agency.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will be interesting to compare the 49ers status in January with the Packers. They are definitely improving, IMO, while it would appear the Packers are in "idle" mode. I shudder with disbelief when I look at our $14mil sitting unused. The draft will take between $4mil and $5mil so I expect at least $9mil on April 30th. Now if we shoot the works for Moss, I expect TT will use $6mil on him, leaving us with $3mil for injury signings. I'd rather sign Kris Jenkins(at $4mil) and have a D line that's scary to other RBs. He's only 28 and much feared. It won't happen but I love to dream.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a lot will surely happen. i don't understand why everyone is freaking out about our salary cap room. Ted will use it... wisely! so many people have this vision of Thompson as this money monger, hoarding it, hiding it under the mattresses. thing is, there is no conceivable reason for him to 'save up'. It's not like it's his money. just because he hasn't used it yet doesn't mean he won't use it. his future is tied with the packers record. if the team wins, he wins. if the team loses, he loses. rest assured friends, he'll use the money.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no doubt Ted will use up all of this year's salary cap money. However, whether he'll use it up wisely is another matter altogether.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no doubt Ted will use up all of this year's salary cap money. However, whether he'll use it up wisely is another matter altogether.

Exactly. There's not alot left to spend it on.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:

Exactly. There's not alot left to spend it on.

Like last year when the world was ending, and oh yeah, we got Charles Woodson. In May.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Lare said:

Duhhh

I agree with Porky on this one.......GREAT post!
Comparing the 2 teams is not fair. The Pats are OBVIOUSLY just adding depth to an already strong team. The Pack needs to get the guys in place first, THEN build depth. Which i think is what TT and MM are doing.
And just because he heasn't spent the money YET, doesn't mean TT is not going to use it. I'd rather have someone that thinks BEFORE he just blows the *** on some over hyped free agent.
If he doesn't do anything by the start of the season, THEN i'd say he was stupid. But to jump on him now is stupid.
If he proves me wrong by the season's start, then i will say the negative people were right.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Lare said:

The Patriots have already built their team through the Draft. They are just putting themselves over top with free agency.

EXACTLY!

It's amazing how ******** some people can be. You don't go splurging in the FA pool unless you're trying to fill a void or two. The Packers have atleast six!

Saying the Patriots are respectable beacuse they are trying to make their team better is ... (fill in the blank with many words) Every team is trying to improve!
YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!

God forbid a PROFESSIONAL doesn't make the moves YOU demand because of course that then means that PROFESSIONAL does not want the team to win. :whippin: :whippin: :whippin: :whippin: :whippin: :whippin: :whippin: :whippin: :whippin: :whippin: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm guessing the vast majority of us don't need large font letters in order to understand the basic fundamentals and intent of football, but I suppose it is necessary for some of you, especially those that are ********.

All that aside, I would imagine that most teams honestly feel they are trying to make their themselves better. The difference is that some are successful, and some are not. Lately, the Packers are not.

Sorry if I don't find that as acceptable and satisfying as some of the rest of you apparently do.

Reaction score
I think another reason to compare the 49ers and Packers is that TT and the 49ers GMs are both disciples of Ron Wolf. Wolf himself has said that the 49ers GM has a great eye for talent, while he himself suggested TT for the Green Bay job.

Just adds to the similarities between the two, as they are in similar stages of development with two people leading the organizations being disciples of the same great GM, yet choosing two extremely different approaches to winning.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would imagine that most teams honestly feel they are trying to make their themselves better. The difference is that some are successful, and some are not. Lately, the Packers are not.

So free agent pickups is the only way to make your team better? Thanks for the heads up, GM.

The packers arent getting better? you're right, bro. Jennings,Hodge,Hawk,Collins,Spitz,Colledge,Pickett,Morency,Woodson all suck. right on, GM.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:

They did? Lets look at impact players/starters on the team. I will include

Draft
Brady, Tom
Tedy Bruschi
Kevin Faulk
Jarvis Green
Ellis Hobbs
Dan Koppen
Matt Light
Logan Mankins
Laurence Maroney
Steve Neal
Asante Samuel
James Sanders
Richard Seymour
Ty Warren
Vince Wilfork
Troy Brown

FA's/etc
Rosevelt Colvin
Don Davis
Heath Evans
Jabar Gaffney
Larry Izzo
Rodney Harrison
Artrell Hawkins
Ray Mickens
Chad Scott
Junior Seau
Mike Vrabel
Tory James
Adelius Thomas
Donta Stallworth
Kelley Washington
Wes Welker

So while its popular to say that NE builds through the draft they actually have a nice overall mix.

Members online

Latest posts