Packers talking to James... Tory James CB

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
If I had to take a guess, I believe not only are we looking to building CB depth, but I believe they are looking at trying to see if one of these fits the FS position as well. Anyone else get the feeling that Walker or maybe James if signed will be looked at in the FS slot as well?

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070411/PKR01/704110597/1989

The Green Bay Packers have engaged in preliminary contract talks with free-agent cornerback Tory James.

James' agent, Mark Bartelstein, said the Packers were among four teams that have shown interest in the 12-year veteran, who played the past four seasons for the Cincinnati Bengals.

"We've had conversations for quite a while now," Bartelstein said. "Talks are ongoing, and we'll see where it leads."

The other three teams that remain interested in James are the New England Patriots, New Orleans Saints and Oakland Raiders, according to Bartelstein.

"I'm hoping to get something done this week," he said.

Bartelstein said the Packers have indicated they're interested in James as a possible No. 3 cornerback. The Packers' only free-agent signing this offseason was also a cornerback — fifth-year veteran Frank Walker, formerly of the New York Giants.

The 6-foot-2, 192-pound James started all 16 games for the Bengals last season, when he made 33 tackles and had four interceptions. It was the fourth straight season in which he started every game.

"He's been a starter his whole career," Bartelstein said. "If someone gets him as a third corner, that's a heck of a weapon to have."

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh no.....we are Bidding against the Saints, Raiders and Patriots. We're cooked on this one, lol

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:twocents: There are three CB's in the draft that could be available at 16. Don't think GB needs another older CB at this point with Both Woodsen and Harris getting up there in yrs. There are two CB's ranked 2nd and 3rd at CB that should be available but, whoever GB takes at 16 will have to be the best player still available in the draft, unless TT sees a real need.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:twocents: There are three CB's in the draft that could be available at 16. Don't think GB needs another older CB at this point with Both Woodsen and Harris getting up there in yrs. There are two CB's ranked 2nd and 3rd at CB that should be available but, whoever GB takes at 16 will have to be the best player still available in the draft, unless TT sees a real need.

I wonder by seeing them bringing in Walker and now looking at James if they are looking at experienced depth while the young CB's they have get a little more time.

Rather than this be a statement that they aren't confident in the young guys they have I see these moves as buying them a little more time to gain experience and improve.

Especially considering Woodson's tendency to get hurt.

I like the thought in this. We talk about all these positions and players we would like and the #3 CB position is as important as any as much as they get in the ballgame these days.

Getting what has been a full time starter can improve that position as much as we saw with Woodson being moved to the #2 for the first time. That payed off big time.

sbp_387

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need a SS more than a CB, why not sign one or are we looking to the draft for that?

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is one of the deepest drafts for defensive backs in a long time, would be foolish not to pick up at least one.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is one of the deepest drafts for defensive backs in a long time, would be foolish not to pick up at least one.

If its deep then there's gonna be some available after round one...not downplaying Revis/Leon Hall, but I think guys like Eric Wright would make solid 2nd/3rd round picks

robkeg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't Kevin Mathis available now? Released from Atlanta. I believe he is a 10 year vet but, could be useful until young CB get more experience. I think Mathis is a better fit than James.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy will turn 34 in May, so he is by no means a young guy. He'll probably only sign a 2 to 3 year deal tops where ever he lands.

I say why not if we can get him at a decent price? He'd be decent insurance in case Harris or Woodson would go down.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the draft the first thing they have to address is running back. We've got corners, we'd like to have some depth at CB but..............the running back issues has to be addressed first. If they can pick up Tory and be better for a year or two, that gives you the chance to take a CB in the later rounds.

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what if in the draft we could kill to birds with 1 stone and draft a CB that returns Punts and kicks

i dont think we will sign any of these CBs

becasuse TT wants a young team he will probs draft som1

remember we got 9 or 10 draft picks and even a 7th rounder can be a good player

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Isn't Kevin Mathis available now? Released from Atlanta. I believe he is a 10 year vet but, could be useful until young CB get more experience. I think Mathis is a better fit than James.

Mathis has a severe neck injury and failed his Atlanta physical, I don't think he will be playing anywhere this year.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
what if in the draft we could kill to birds with 1 stone and draft a CB that returns Punts and kicks

Is that what Will Blackmon was drafted for, competition on the PR duties. He was drafted in the third round and should be able to supply something. Unless he is a bust?

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the draft the first thing they have to address is running back. We've got corners, we'd like to have some depth at CB but..............the running back issues has to be addressed first. If they can pick up Tory and be better for a year or two, that gives you the chance to take a CB in the later rounds.

I don't agree. More and more questions are coming up about Lynch and I believe we can get somebody else in round 2 or 3 who can be just as productive and use the 1st pick more wisely.

If you are not going to get a RB in the first round that is capable of carrying the team on his back than don't do it. Peterson is worthy. Lynch is not.

You seem to be letting the NEED for a RB cloud your better judgement by saying that's the first thing we should address. The first thing to address is taking the BEST football player out there that will be a good player for us for years to come.
We can't afford to miss on first round picks anymore and later round RB's have proven to produce so reaching in the 1sr round is really kind of senseless to me.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
I don't agree. More and more questions are coming up about Lynch and I believe we can get somebody else in round 2 or 3 who can be just as productive and use the 1st pick more wisely.

What questions are being raised? Sources? Has he been a disappointment in any of the workouts? Hasn't been in trouble? What issues?

Just like Quinn has gotten worse over the winter. And Russell all of a sudden has become a god at QB after one decent year and some below average ones.

The talking heads say something and it becomes gospel, but if you look at the players productivity and health no issues are raised.

What they say about Lynch..

Highly respected by his teammates and staff, bringing a good attitude into the locker room with his work ethic and ability to keep the players "loose"

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/lynch_marshawn

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:

What questions are being raised? Sources? Has he been a disappointment in any of the workouts? Hasn't been in trouble? What issues?

Just like Quinn has gotten worse over the winter. And Russell all of a sudden has become a god at QB after one decent year and some below average ones.

The talking heads say something and it becomes gospel, but if you look at the players productivity and health no issues are raised.

What they say about Lynch..

Highly respected by his teammates and staff, bringing a good attitude into the locker room with his work ethic and ability to keep the players "loose"

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/lynch_marshawn

There are, in fact, health issues with Lynch and his former coaching staff seems reluctant to give him a glowing report. These are all things being discussed on many of the draft sites.

Look on Yahoo Sports NFL page and it discusses players on the decline and he's listed. Read it for yourself and it's not the only place I have seen some negative stuff.

I'm not out here just making random crap up. I didn't write it. I read it.

I have said before I am not a big fan of using the 16th pick on Lynch and it's not because he's not a good player. I think he is. I DO NOT, however, think he is worth the 16th pick and one of the big reasons for this is that the zone blocking system doesn't require a 16th pick running back in order to be successful.

If you can convince me this guy is so good he can carry the team on his back I will gladly change my mind. Unlike many here I have been WRONG BEFORE.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Warhawk..

Not directed at you so much as at the talking heads, he had a pulled muscle in his back and niched up ankles. He started wearing the Vick shoes and that reduced the ankle issue last year.

Yes, could the debate be made for a running back lower in the draft, yep, but so can just about any position. The more I watch some of the games the more impressed I was with the way Lynch attacked the hole an his burst. Once past the intitial line of scrimmage, was very elusive and displayed very good vision. Isn't a runaway back with speed but is very quick.

All the being said, to me, unless someone starts falling in the draft, Lynch or Griffin are the best values at that spot. I am probably WRONG, but something tells me that 3 or 5 years from now, Lynch will have turned out to be the better back between him and Peterson.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will not "slam my fist on the table" if Lynch's name get's called. What I know about him and his style is a good fit for what we do. I do not think he has the body type to carry it 25 times a game in the NFL. Not many can do it anymore. Peterson maybe. If he doesn't get hurt which is a big if.

So the question is do we use the 16th pick for a player that will more than likely split time so he doesn't get banged up and worn down?

I look at this like the WR's. I see none at #16 worthy. Go with a CB or Safety if they are rated high enough before a player so many feel we need so badly.

I get a little nervous when the name mentioned happens to coincide with a need we might have. We have tried putting square pegs in round holes before and it never worked out very well.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
I agree that fitting a player in a need slot is risky, but when the need and players value meet then I feel better about the pick. I look at him a little different than most, I see him as a primary with Morency has a dart type of back to give us balance. His frame is compact and he runs low, which Peterson does not. And as far as his back, nothing was noted at the physical in Indy.

Ross or Griffin from Texas seem to fit what we are looking for. Both smart kids with lots of range, Griffin more of the Safety mold or Ross to convert to safety or stay at CB. Physical CB.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that when need and value match it's a win, win, situation. You just have to try and be even MORE certain when that happens that the value is indeed there.

I look at what we do and see some draft day advantages in that certain guards, centers, tackles, FB's, and RB's may not be high on other teams lists but could do real well for us.

Ten or fifteen teams may pass on that smaller but quick Tackle that will do well for the Packers.

I see now that Petrino has gone to Atlanta they are now going with big vs. mobile and getting away from the zbs there. Good.

Less competition for the type of players that will fit with what we do.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I absolutely HATE the 16th pick. We're out of the elite class of player there and yet must get an impact one. I'd rather trade down for more chances to upgrade. Here's where the scouts expertise gets really tested. We can't afford even one bust, although that is unrealistic. As always, my big worry is the OL. We have several "possibles" already on the team but none who appears ready to step in if Tausch or Cliffy goes down. I also wonder how much "younger" this team can afford to go. If guys like Underwood, Blackmon, Morency, Moll, etc. can step up, we've got a chance to improve. But depending on the draft every year is not going to work. TT has pretty much said the same thing. Our future hinges on the improvement of the young guys already on the team. There is definitely "promise" there.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember Al Harris isn't a spring chicken anymore, either. The Packers had dangerously little depth at the corners last year...especially when Terrell Buckley, Jr. was traded to Jacksonville.

James would be a backup on one side and the other side would be Frank Walker. Walker probably would be the 5 back, James the 6. Injuries pop up, veterans to replace them. I'm all for that!

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tory James: Born: May 18, 1973
Al Harris: Born: Dec 7, 1974
Charles Woodson: Born: Oct 7, 1976

The guy is older then both Harris and Woodson we really need to try and get younger at our CB position and adding him would only make us older there instead of letting some of our young guys develope. I myself really find it surprising we are looking at him seeing we already picked up Frank Walker and also still have the draft.

Mortfini said:

Is that what Will Blackmon was drafted for, competition on the PR duties. He was drafted in the third round and should be able to supply something. Unless he is a bust?

its not that big a deal but he was drafted in the 4th round. Abdul Hodge and Jason Spitz were are two thrid round picks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts