NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga will be fine.

I have a feeling that Neal is gonna be an absolute monster in the 3-4

I'm extremely excited to see Shields return some kicks.

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd really like to see some big things out of Neal on the line. It'd be cool if our line could do more than just stop the run ya know? Although I don't really want to trade off our best in league run D for pass rush... if only we could have both effectively...

As for Defensive rookies, I think I'm most excited about Burnett. Aside from the idea of having another playmaking safety next to Collins, it is GREAT to hear that he can play nickel and dimeback for us. That will help out a ton, especially with the status of our injured corners not certain.

I'm not too worried about Bulaga either. I think his first year will be a grooming one as he learns behind Clifton. And he'll be great to have if their is an injury on our line.

As for the rest of the offense, I'm extremely excited about Andrew Quarless. I feel like he has the ability to do some big things for us. If he can be half as productive as Finley has been, I'll be happy.

Then, in my opinion, we have a bit of a darkhorse with Starks. With his injury and what not, I don't know if anyone is expecting him to just come out and tear it up out there. I'm not holding my breathe on him, but he could turn out to be something really good.

But anyway, only time will tell...

21dmvp21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im expecting sheilds to make the team by a mile. i think there is no doubt about it unless he is injured. he is what we have been lacking in the return game for the past few years. and he cant be as bad as bush at corner either.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just one thing with Burnett, though. There's a reason, despite being a playmaker, that he wasn't taken 1st overal.

He's a gambler. Sharper-like gambler. He gives some big plays.

But so was Collins in 08. He corrected it. How many big plays did Collins allow in 09? Slim to none. While mantaining his playmaking production.

I think Perry is one heck of a coach, and he and Capers will make Burnett into a star.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im expecting sheilds to make the team by a mile. i think there is no doubt about it unless he is injured. he is what we have been lacking in the return game for the past few years. and he cant be as bad as bush at corner either.
I watched some Miami games last season... He's not a good corner...

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
He may be better than Bush, but I don't think we should use him as a milestone in any way shape or form

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard that Sam Shields is fast but not "explosive." sure he runs a 4.3 but ot's more in terms of straight line speed. Sounds more like a track guy imo. I want someone who can provide some burst and possess the elusiveness to make guys miss. Some say that Starks has this kind of ability as he's able to "wiggle" through defenders. Starks may not be a top notch returner but a serviceable one at best.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
i'm predicting good things for Cj wilson, and Marshall Newhouse.

also this khalil jones guy might be better than burnett and shields...

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm predicting good things for Cj wilson, and Marshall Newhouse.

also this khalil jones guy might be better than burnett and shields...

I see Wilson as our impact rookie this year. Our biggest weakness last season was generating a pass rush and that is exactly what Wilson delivers. In his interviews Wilson said that was his specialty and that's what he's willong to work towards.

As for Khalil Jones, I hope he does become a splid safety but I just can't see him making the team. Teams typically carry four safeties on the depth chart. Four us it's Bigby, Collins, Burnett, and Martin. I doubt we have space to squueeze in 1 more safety.

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see Wilson as our impact rookie this year. Our biggest weakness last season was generating a pass rush and that is exactly what Wilson delivers. In his interviews Wilson said that was his specialty and that's what he's willong to work towards.

As for Khalil Jones, I hope he does become a splid safety but I just can't see him making the team. Teams typically carry four safeties on the depth chart. Four us it's Bigby, Collins, Burnett, and Martin. I doubt we have space to squueeze in 1 more safety.

I see Wilson having a huge impact as well. I still can't believe he fell to the 7th round.

Maybe we will have room for jones. Are we gonna carry 3 FB's again?

21dmvp21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im excited to see quarless play, i think with him and finley we will have two TE that are a huge missmatch for oposing defenses. i like mike neal too, i think he will have a solid rookie season.

Bossfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really think that this years draft is going to be the sleeper draft of the decade for us. Not any big names except for Bulaga but some high quality athletic football players that will get on the field this year...

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im excited to see quarless play, i think with him and finley we will have two TE that are a huge missmatch for oposing defenses. i like mike neal too, i think he will have a solid rookie season.

I can't wait to see Quarless on the field. There seems to be a lot of people disappointed with this pick, and I think he will prove them all wrong. Quarless and Finley in a 2 Tight End Set is just going to be too much for teams to handle.

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't wait to see Quarless on the field. There seems to be a lot of people disappointed with this pick, and I think he will prove them all wrong. Quarless and Finley in a 2 Tight End Set is just going to be too much for teams to handle.

Agreed, with our west coast offense we run having two dynamic TE is a huge asset. In short yardage situations we will be able to keep the D guessing as to if we run or pass.

bhepper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those of you that weren't able to see the page before it was removed, the video is actually still up:

MJS 440 Wide Blog

In order of the players you see i believe is: Starks, Quarless, Bulaga, Newhouse, Shields, Burnett, Neal.

I also managed to capture and save the video in case it gets removed from brightcove albeit there is no sound.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Shields will be much more than serviceable as a return man. Running a 4.3 forty means he is fast. Not just fast, but insane fast. Sure he may not be explosive, and have just track type speed, but thats what the other ten guys are supposed to do on a kick return, create lanes. I'm thinking that if this guy can get a lane he will be gone, and with his speed he will be damn near impossible to run down. Granted I haven't seen him return a kick in the NFL yet, I am just thinking that this guy will be more than just serviceable.

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Shields will be much more than serviceable as a return man. Running a 4.3 forty means he is fast. Not just fast, but insane fast. Sure he may not be explosive, and have just track type speed, but thats what the other ten guys are supposed to do on a kick return, create lanes. I'm thinking that if this guy can get a lane he will be gone, and with his speed he will be damn near impossible to run down. Granted I haven't seen him return a kick in the NFL yet, I am just thinking that this guy will be more than just serviceable.

My friend who is a Hurricanes fan, said that Shields ran a 4.2 at Miami.

Khalil Jones was quoted as saying: “He usually runs 4.2,” said former Miami teammate Khalil Jones, who is a first-year safety with the Packers. “I heard it was a wet surface or he could have run 4.1. I’ve been around some fast guys, Devin Hester. I’ve run track with fast guys. I consider myself a fast guy, but Sam’s got exceptional speed.”

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish I could have seen it, they had taken it down before I got a chance. Was there anything good or anything/anybody that particularly stood out?

There really wasn't much footage to go by since it was only a minute and 45 seconds long. But from what I saw here are the main highlights:

1. James Starks looks pretty quick given his size. He was able to catch some balls effectively and looked pretty fluid in his cuts.

2. Sam Shields and Morgan Burnett were doing DB backpedals. For a guy who runs a 4.3 Shields looks awfully slow in his backpedal and his recovery is really sloppy. This might be due to his rawness as a corner but it'll take a long time to develop. Burnett looked very natural. He's quick in and out of his breaks and looked natural when looking for the ball in the air.

3. Bulaga and Newhouse did some run blocking. Bulaga looked perfect when driving the defender back. Newhouse the same but could use some footwork.

4. Mike Neal has quick violent hands and explosive burst of the line. That's something that Mike Tragovic could really work with.

That's why our special teams sucks in the first place, we can't create those lanes. Shields may be able to break open a long run if he finds the seam but our special teams certainly can't create one. This is up to the coaching staff to fix and it's something that Shields has nothing to do with.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear ya. With all the talk about special teams being a priority, I'm sure MM has something in the works to at least get some decent blocking on kick and punt returns. I also think that even without lanes Shields' speed will be an asset. If he can cover another 10 yards before the kickoff team corrals him, thats 10 less yards the offense has to cover. Besides, Shields isn't that big so he probably doesn't need all that much of a lane. LoL