Packers have become GREAT at losing GREAT games.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hate to say it but MM and Rodgers have a horrible overtime win/loss record and MM as a HC?? is terrible as well. Especially in the playoffs. The last two exits from the post season have been tough to swallow. This loss was more on the defensive blunder in OT and poor tackling and pursuit angles... But the loss to Seattle last season should've never happened. That was on MM and his staff.

Rodgers still has a lot of great football in him but the Packers should have played in at least 2 More SBs with him as the qb. At least. last year, and the year we went 15-1. You can even throw the loss to SanFran Cisco the year before last in there... when Hyde dropped that pick six Kap threw right to him. For some reason we just don'take enough plays when it counts most in the post season. Tired of hearing oh wait til next year. But hey, wai til next year haha

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Well eventually if you keep throwing **** at a wall it will stick. Eventually we will win a OT playoff game.....I hope.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tired of hearing oh wait til next year. But hey, wai til next year haha
What do you want to hear? We're firing McCarthy and Thompson? Nobody is happy with a loss like this, but I'm not sure that drastic changes will get you any closer to what you want.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But we're getting more sure all the time that lack of changes is getting us further (or at least the same frustrativng distance) from what we want.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last two OT losses in the playoffs were especially tough when #12 doesn't even get a chance to see the field. Even more frustrating that the defense has a lapse in game situation. i.e."we don't get the ball back if they score a TD"

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hate to say it but MM and Rodgers have a horrible overtime win/loss record and MM as a HC?? is terrible as well. Especially in the playoffs. The last two exits from the post season have been tough to swallow. This loss was more on the defensive blunder in OT and poor tackling and pursuit angles... But the loss to Seattle last season should've never happened. That was on MM and his staff.

Rodgers still has a lot of great football in him but the Packers should have played in at least 2 More SBs with him as the qb. At least. last year, and the year we went 15-1. You can even throw the loss to SanFran Cisco the year before last in there... when Hyde dropped that pick six Kap threw right to him. For some reason we just don'take enough plays when it counts most in the post season. Tired of hearing oh wait til next year. But hey, wai til next year haha

This is a game where we had our secondary healthy for the first time in several weeks and our OL healthy for the first time in half a season. It's a game we had to play without FOUR of our top five WRs. It's a game against a team that blew us out of the water 3 weeks ago where the home team was picked to win 95% of the time. By all accounts we never should have had a chance in hell in this game. In the end, it came down to a damn coin-toss and one play. And I'd still like to know who screwed up and left #11 wide open. And yeah, I don't care if you're tired of hearing it, but wait til next year. You really have no choice.

Last edited:

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well eventually if you keep throwing **** at a wall it will stick. Eventually we will win a OT playoff game.....I hope.
NFL OT rules are still crap. Importance of the coin toss needs to be eliminated. The winner of the coin toss still wins about 60% of the time. Both teams need to be guaranteed at least one offensive possession. I'm all in favor of playing 8 minute overtime periods until the game is over.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL OT rules are still crap. Importance of the coin toss needs to be eliminated. The winner of the coin toss still wins about 60% of the time. Both teams need to be guaranteed at least one offensive possession. I'm all in favor of playing 8 minute overtime periods until the game is over.
They were talking about that on NFL Network last night. Your suggestion or both teams get at least one possession. But just for the playoffs.

c_mac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know that Super Bowl 45 was the one time we really came through but think about McCarthy's time with the Packers overall. Fact is, he loses the big games consistently. '07 to the Giants, '09 to the Cardinals, '13 to the 49ers, '14 to the Seahawks, and now this game. That's not counting the blowouts to the 49ers in '12 or to the Giants on '11 (when we were 15-1!).

We overcame a lot of injuries at WR and ended up making a game out of it against the Cardinals but McCarthy teams just never seem to have that killer instinct to close out a game, especially in the playoffs. I thought SB45 was gonna be the start of a dynasty yet here we are again, out of the playoffs. We have one of the best QBs ever to play the game and we are pissing away season after season of Rodgers being in his prime. Just VERY frustrating.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Wish people would stop putting all blame on MM and say Rodgers is being pissed away.

Rodgers is to blame for some of it too...Just as Brett was...

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wish people would stop putting all blame on MM and say Rodgers is being pissed away.

Rodgers is to blame for some of it too...Just as Brett was...

Rodgers threw a hail mary as time expired while falling down and pressure in his face. No, this is not Rodgers fault. This is entirely on the defense.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fact is if Rodgers isn't perfect the Packers can't win because they "Relax" when they have a lead. As soon as they took the lead last night AZ moves the ball down the field in huge chunks. Before that, coverage was tight. And then when Rodgers miraculously throws an incredible hail marry, the defense again pissed itself. A lot of fans sound just like Cubs fans." Wait til next year" Unfortunately next year comes and the results stay the same.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's the ultimate team game. You win as a team, you lose as a team.

And if I don't win the "Cliche of the Week" award for the day- no, for the week- then something's really wrong here.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Until a team goes on a 15 play 8 minute drive and wins the game. Then they will need to be overhauled again. I was fine with the way they were, I'm OK with them the way they are now and I'd be OK with making it so both teams had an offensive opportunity with kickoffs, none of this college crap where they star in FG range.

The CT winner may still win 60% of the time but that's not on the first drive (last time I checked that was about 33%) so both teams do usually get a chance.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Until a team goes on a 15 play 8 minute drive and wins the game.

I don't think so. It wouldn't be sudden death so that's fine. It would be no different than the last 8 minutes of regulation.

I've seen some more exotic options offered including having coaches bid on starting field position in 5 yard increments. I think it might have been from a Sporting News article in 2009. IIRC, the idea was that Coach A says, "I'll take the ball on our 35." Coach B says, "I'll take it on our 25." Coach A says, "I'll take the ball on our 20." Coach B says, "We'll take it at the 10." Coach A says, "You can have it." Then you do the OT rules as they are now. It would eliminate the coin toss, which is the main issue. I thought that one was kind of an interesting option.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Each team with the ball at least once..

Or

Start over time as it is just a 5 th q.. No coin toss... Just continue on

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers threw a hail mary as time expired while falling down and pressure in his face. No, this is not Rodgers fault. This is entirely on the defense.
He bounce passed the ball to Jones on 4th down when we had time to score more conventionally. The fact is Rodgers had a sub-par season for his standards, as did our receiving corps, the O-line, and offensive coaching staff. Our defense bailed out this season game after game when the offense kept going 3 and out. The defense played outstanding against one of the top offenses in Arizona. The Packers defense had a major lapse to lose the game but one should never focus on the final play, but on all the cumulative plays that put the team in that do-or-die moment.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He bounce passed the ball to Jones on 4th down when we had time to score more conventionally. The fact is Rodgers had a sub-par season for his standards, as did our receiving corps, the O-line, and offensive coaching staff. Our defense bailed out this season game after game when the offense kept going 3 and out. The defense played outstanding against one of the top offenses in Arizona. The Packers defense had a major lapse to lose the game but one should never focus on the final play, but on all the cumulative plays that put the team in that do-or-die moment.

Yes he did, and the fact is that in this game and over the course of the season Rodgers has missed on a lot of throws. Plus, he has also ignored an open receiver for the sake of trying to make a big play downfield. These have both been negatives about ARod this year.

Tacklynn

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I was shocked when the OT rules changed about 4 years back. OT should be an extension of the regular game, just more time. Isn't that what OVERtime means? It does not mean we usher in a whole new set of goofy rules.

In baseball extra innings, if a team hits a home run in the top of the 10th, it is not game over.

The current rules elevate the role of sheer chance of calling the coin toss. Especially at the end of 4 quarters of play, skill/talent should take far more precedence over randomness/luck.

Not just saying this because of the Packers experience in OT.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Each team with the ball at least once..

Or

Start over time as it is just a 5 th q.. No coin toss... Just continue on

Continue on until what? It looks like you're saying play an extra 15 minutes, a negative of which would be unnecessarily beating up the eventual winner for the next game. And, if it's just a 5th quarter, that one could end up tied, also, for an even worse physical beating.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/baranczyk /2016/01/17/hesitant-rodgers-erratic-right-end/78936664/

For instance, on three straight plays in the red zone at the end of the first half, Janis or Abbrederis was open but Rodgers opted to go elsewhere.

Right after the two-minute warning, on first and 10 from Arizona’s 12, Janis ran a short slant. He was open enough for a shot at a first down and possibly a touchdown. But Rodgers gave him a cursory glance, then quickly threw a checkdown to James Starks in the right flat for a 4-yard loss. It looked a little like Rodgers might have decided to go there before the snap.

And on fourth down Rodgers bounced a back-shoulder throw to his most trusted receiver, James Jones. Janis was wide open on the other side of the field on a pick play that would have been an easy first down

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure it is easy to blame the person/s that did something at very end of the game..

But all the little things that led up to that count..