OFFICIAL THREAD We need a running back now !!!!!

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it's a steal, not considering he's 27 and we have Grant...

I'd reluctantly do it, but it's nowhere near a steal IMHO.

i really like jones, and hes very good , but honestly, theres ryan grant then theres deangelo williams. they arent even in the same general ballpark.

and next year, jesus christ, the opponents wouldnt know what to gameplan for, grant and williams in the backfield, jmike, jennings and driver. thats obscene.

a 2nd and jones is a done deal. make it happen. now.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree it wouldn't be a case of highway robbery but it would be a win-win for both sides. A 2nd round pick for a RB who's 27 sounds kinda high thought, as the life expectancy of a RB isn't great. 30 is old (Usually) I'd say on average a back like D-Will has 2-3 prime years left, then expect a drop off. Luckily for him, he's been sharing the load with Stewart, but if I remember correctly he was run, and run hard at Memphis.

He would easily be the best back we've had since Ahman in his prime though... Too bad for DeAngelo, he wouldn't be running behind THAT O-Line, he'd have our (2010) version.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
IF this rumor is true, which I can believe it, there's only one thing not mentioned.

Williams is a free agent after this year.....

So I'd think the more important thing is how long Carolina would extend him for in order for there to be a trade.. That or how difficult it would be to extend him..

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Hypothetically, and I still think there's only about a .1% chance it happens, if Williams is here do we go two-back system next year?

Or, if Williams would play well, is Grant's time here done?

Again, complete hypothetical based off the slimmest of slim chances that this would actually happen.

(I would say get rid of Grant. I doubt DeAngelo would be all that pleased to go back to splitting carries and if he were to prove he could carry the load there's no reason to have Grant around.)

fahad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I heard that there is a talk about the trade.. GB. - Get RB D. Williams & Carolina - Get A.J Hawk + 3 rd Round + WR Jones.. This is what i heard, how accurate is this news, I really do not know?
sorry no link to this and might be only rumor.. Also Carolina ask to postpone this trade till week 5 before trade dead line.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
A starter, a starting caliber player, and a highish draft pick?

Wow. That's a lot.

Honestly, if I were Ted I'd be glad they don't want to do it now, I'd need a lot of time to think this over. Because DeAngelo's damn good and might actually be worth it, but DAMN that's a lot.

Again, if that rumor's true, obviously.

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
now thats a bit much..maybe a 4th? i mean we have a deep wr corps. but i really wouldnt like to part with jones. if its jones or nothing then fine, but id rather not give up hawk then too...hawk and 2nd and 4th/5th?

Chop0Suey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that's a little much. He is 27, and nowadays runningbacks typically hit a wall at about 30, and then quickly fall off from there. I think a 3rd rounder and AJ Hawk, or a 2nd with, say, Spitz, would be a pretty good deal.

PackerManLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I heard that there is a talk about the trade.. GB. - Get RB D. Williams & Carolina - Get A.J Hawk + 3 rd Round + WR Jones.. This is what i heard, how accurate is this news, I really do not know?
sorry no link to this and might be only rumor.. Also Carolina ask to postpone this trade till week 5 before trade dead line.

If this is true if I was the packers I would tell them to shove it up there @$$, that's to much for d. Will.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No to that deal. Too much for a RB that's not named Chris Johnson or Adrian Peterson.

Wouldn't it be something though, it Ted Thompson, someone who has been very conservative with his draft picks and his hand picked players, who has NEVER overspent for anything to go out and make a deal like that. I can see it now, fans would go from calling him a tightwad to calling him ignorant for spending that much for an aging player. *Sigh*

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know, I was thinking about something, I've been searching for all the "Credible" sports writers, beat writers, etc to see if any of them mention D-Will to the Packers. None do. I've looked up how many mention Lynch to the Packers. Most do.

I wonder if the Packer FO, or someone close to the situation "Leaked" false information that we were pursuing DeAngelo Williams just to put pressure on the Bills to deal us Lynch at a reasonable price?

GreenBayTheOnlyWay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bills just cut a LB. maybe that means hawk-lynch is getting done???

Kawika Mitchell was put on IR, but expects to be healthy and still able to play later this season. He has asked to be released with an injury settlement so he can pursue another team once he recovers. I wouldn't expect a hawk-lynch deal to get done because of this. Sounds like a result of the circumstances.
There's an espn article on this by Tim Graham for the AFC East blog, but I don't have enough posts to link it.

GreenBayTheOnlyWay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know, I was thinking about something, I've been searching for all the "Credible" sports writers, beat writers, etc to see if any of them mention D-Will to the Packers. None do. I've looked up how many mention Lynch to the Packers. Most do.

I wonder if the Packer FO, or someone close to the situation "Leaked" false information that we were pursuing DeAngelo Williams just to put pressure on the Bills to deal us Lynch at a reasonable price?

A lot of teams have voiced interest in Lynch during the preseason. I don't think it would be easy to get the price to drop at all.

fahad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this is true if I was the packers I would tell them to shove it up there @$$, that's to much for d. Will.

Yes.. I know it is a lot for D. Wiliams. Also he will be FA next year.. so he demand with the trade long contract deal before the trade happen.. I believe GB would not go this far .. they are giving too much IMO.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
at first i was thinking " hell yeah get this effin deal done".. looking at it more closely, i didnt realize deangelo is 27 already.. so right there i was very reluctant.. hawk, jones, and a 3rd.. i would personally find TT and backhand him in the face

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score

I wouldn't be surprised at all. Also consider the Bills might of "shopped" Lynch around on purpose to present the idea that other teams are interested, thus making the Pack think they could lose out on the trade if they mess around.

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know what's taking so long. The Packers have had discussions with Buffalo(Lynch) Houston (Slayton) and Carolina(Williams and Goodsen) I'm hearing Buffalo wants T.J. Lang and 3rd Carolina wants 2nd and James Jones for Williams. I haven't heard what they would want for Goodsen. But his name did come up as someone Packers also have interest in if they can't get Williams. There has been talks with Houston for Slayton for a 3rd. They have been talking with these teams ever since Grant went down. That's almost 3 weeks ago. My guess is Thompson doesn't want to give up a 2nd and is even reluctant to give up a 3rd. It's a game of chicken between GM's. Neither wants to blink first. This will probably drag right up to the deadline. That could be risky for the Packers if another teams running back gets injured and they might move quickly to get something done.

Members online

Latest posts