OFFICIAL RODGERS IS MVP THREAD

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers should win it.
But Brees still might. Why?
Well his stats are going to be on-par with Rodgers, but he's going to shatter at least one of the big records.

I bet Brees ends the season with MORE YARDS and MORE TOUCHDOWNS. And his COMPLETION PERCENTAGE will be higher. What Aaron will have over him statistically will be fewer interceptions.
Plus he has led his team to a great record.
Also, Brees should have won the award in 2009 but was screwed over a little bit, and some voters might want to make it up.

So there will be plenty of votes for Brees for sure. And he might have a huge primetime game against Atlanta Monday night to extra-showcase himself, while I don't expect any big things from Rodgers tonight vs Chicago (he's had bad games vs them in cold weather), or next week vs Lions.

I agree the dome helps Brees, but I don't hear that same sentiment when I say we should (tongue-in-cheek) move our playoff games to Miami. Everyone says Rodgers is just fine in cold weather, that it doesn't negatively affect him or our great passing game advantage. So if so, than stop saying Brees has an advantage of being in a dome.... just come around and admit that this home field advantage really hurts our strength of our team: passing game.

Anyway, MVP Voting (first place vote %):
Rodgers 47%
Brees 42%
Brady 11%
Stafford
Eli

I love Tebow but he better not be in any voter's top 5!

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I agree with 100 percent of this post. Being that you are a colts fan, i am actually surprised you have brady 2nd in MVP this year (same as me). I agree completely that the patriots this year would be REALLY BAD without brady. 2 wins bad? Probably not, but i cannot see them winning more than 5 games. The O-Line has been pretty average this year..... and that has effected brady's game to an extent.
I just hope the O-Line can get healthy so that we have a legit shot at the AFC title game.

Brees has a top 2 O-Line in the league... a legit running game... AND he plays in a dome.

I would love to see how brady performs (and rodgers) if they had dome games all year long.

Hey I give credit when it's due. Not always biased lol. And I don't hate Brady, really. I sometimes hate his hair and styling but not really him as a player. He has been a great rival to Manning for so long and they are also friends. Do I like the Pats? No. I actually dislike the Steelers much more though. And Ben. I went to college in Boston from 1998 to 2002 and am pretty familiar with Brady's early days in NE since I watched them every weekend for a while.I have had some buddies in NE. In 2001 I was captivated at times watching those Pats in the regular season and the turnaround they had.

Looking back at this season it is one of the more impressive Brady years to me along with 2006 when he had little receiver help. Sure 2007 and 2009 had all the stats and prettiness but sometimes other things impress me.

If the Pats want to make playoff noise I think they will have to lean more at times on the run game and keep their D off the field. Not sure if they have a good enough run game really though.......it's not great but it's not bad either.

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey I give credit when it's due. Not always biased lol. And I don't hate Brady, really. I sometimes hate his hair and styling but not really him as a player. He has been a great rival to Manning for so long and they are also friends. Do I like the Pats? No. I actually dislike the Steelers much more though. And Ben. I went to college in Boston from 1998 to 2002 and am pretty familiar with Brady's early days in NE since I watched them every weekend for a while.I have had some buddies in NE. In 2001 I was captivated at times watching those Pats in the regular season and the turnaround they had.

Looking back at this season it is one of the more impressive Brady years to me along with 2006 when he had little receiver help. Sure 2007 and 2009 had all the stats and prettiness but sometimes other things impress me.

If the Pats want to make playoff noise I think they will have to lean more at times on the run game and keep their D off the field. Not sure if they have a good enough run game really though.......it's not great but it's not bad either.

I don't understand though why people really care about how a professional athlete looks? Who cares? As long as they perform on the field right? So what if brady had a bad haircut...(but i gotta admit, he is one handsome dood, no ****).

Nonetheless, if ****ING FINLEY stops dropping perfect passes, rodgers will win the MVP. Rodgers is sharp as **** right now

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's true, but we're talking about the MVP voting, and playoffs aren't taken into account for the MVP. It's a regular season award.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
72% completion percentage and 5 TD passes against a normally stingy Bears defense...

Just sayin.

This had to have been Rodgers' best performance against Chicago. They seem to confuse this offense every time. When's the last time we scored 35 on them? And with Rodgers out most of the 4th quarter, no less.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Rodgers should win it.
But Brees still might. Why?
Well his stats are going to be on-par with Rodgers, but he's going to shatter at least one of the big records.

I still don't get this. The only record Brees is on pace to break is the Yards Passing Record. But how does that make him the MVP?

All that means is the Saints pass the ball more.
Do yards get you into the end zone? No
Do they help you win games? No

The Bears had more total yards last night than we did. Did it matter? No

Yards passing are irrelevant and the record won't be near as impressive as it would have been when Marino set it, because of the rules that favor pass heavy offenses.

Yards passing means Brees is an effective passer and he certainly has the weapons on offense to help him. But how that makes him an MVP favorite over Rodgers? I don't get it. Those yards aren't getting his team wins or getting the ball in the end zone.

Rodgers and the Packers are first in scoring and really that's all that matters.

Rodgers is closer to breaking Brady's record for TD passes in a season and that's a more relevant stat than Single Season Passing Yards. Rodgers also hasn't thrown as many interceptions as Brees either so as a passer he's even more efficient and accurate.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
The two are closer than many of us would like to admit. But, I'd consider Brees as the runner up. I'm sorry, but nothing short of a total meltdown is going to take this away from Aaron Rodgers this year. All the cheese in Wisconsin would go moldy. He can even have a meltdown and still win the damn thing. If you want to really think about it, he already had one in KC but I think after watching the game yesterday, Rodgers chased all the doubts from people's minds as to who the MVP is. Surely Brees is an elite QB, but Brees is just not having as good a year as Rodgers is having. You can talk about Rodgers, Brees and MVP in the same sentence, that is fair, but the better QB is Rodgers. I think the decision has a good chance of coming down to turnovers. Rodgers just does not turn the ball over as much as Brees. That INT rate is a huge point in Rodger's favor and could be the deciding factor.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The two are closer than many of us would like to admit.

Rodgers just does not turn the ball over as much as Brees. That INT rate is a huge point in Rodger's favor and could be the deciding factor.
Agreed.

And southpaw, Brees is on pace to possible break the completion percentage record as well, and playing in that warm, windless dome tonight and next week surely won't hurt.

Imagine if Rodgers played in a dome, and had road games in Atlanta, Tampa, and Carolina or New Orleans....

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Agreed.

And southpaw, Brees is on pace to possible break the completion percentage record as well, and playing in that warm, windless dome tonight and next week surely won't hurt.

Imagine if Rodgers played in a dome, and had road games in Atlanta, Tampa, and Carolina or New Orleans....

again how does that stat have an impact being the MVP?

Unless those completions are resulting in 6 points, it's rather irrelevant, IMO

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Aaron won it last night IMO. Or he should have. And look at his season....sheesh. Just watch the games over if you must.

I still have Tom Brady #2 though.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Rodgers gets the nod IMO, to say Brees shouldn't even be in the conversation is a little ridiculous.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Rodgers gets the nod IMO, to say Brees shouldn't even be in the conversation is a little ridiculous.

Of course he should, and yes it is close. Brees and the Saints are having an incredible season. I give the edge to Rodgers but not by that much. If Brees wins it I'm not gonna cry foul.

Oh....and don't be surprised if Brees does win it. After breaking Marino's record and being at the helm of the #1 offense in the NFL (in many ways), a lot of sportswriters are leaning toward him--especially if he has another 300-yard game next week.

And one of the reasons why I say that is not just the stats, it's because Brees has become this year's hero story. Last year it was Rodgers, and Rodgers gave the sports guys an excuse to quit lavishing praise all over Tom Brady, which they were getting sick of doing. Starting about 4 weeks ago the endless praise for Rodgers started to get old. Sports commentators needed to find someone new to praise to the heavens. At first it was Tebow, but we know what happened there, so it became Brees and breaking Marino's record.

Frozencheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is the MVP, but is kinda close. Brees has had a GREAT year, but Rodgers has thrown more td's, has more wins, and he won head to head, less INT's, and Rodgers is twice as mobile as Brees ever was. The Saints loss to the Rams and the Bucs seals it for ARod.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Brees plays nearly the full game next week and throws 3 or 4 TDs he'll have as many as ARod, or close. That plus the yardage record would probably be enough to get him more votes for MVP.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Rodgers 45 TD's, 6 Int's, 4643 yards, 122.5 QB rating
Brees 41 TD's, 13 Int's, 5087 yards, 108.4 QB rating

I just have to ask; which of these numbers would be indicative of "value?" The only one in which Brees is the leader is in total yards passing. IMHO that is the least indicative of a quarterback's value.

Members online

Latest posts