Official Game Day Thread: Packers @ Vikings 11/21: WIN 31 - 3

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I don't care what their QB thinks. Their D won't get the pressure they once did. Their O line will let the old man get battered like Aunt Jemima Pancake mix. Their fans will get quiet after the first quarter. Their Coach will whine and complain and make bone headed decisions. The Pack in a decisive win. 31 - 14.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I don't care what their QB thinks. Their D won't get the pressure they once did. Their O line will let the old man get battered like Aunt Jemima Pancake mix. Their fans will get quiet after the first quarter. Their Coach will whine and complain and make bone headed decisions. The Pack in a decisive win. 31 - 14.

You forgot to add their Coach will blame the loss on the Refs.

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to go deer hunting but there are going to be thousands of tickets on the street for this game. Do not feed the scalpers! Wait until an hour before kickoff and get tickets cheap.

The Packers have been their own worst enemies in The Dump. I don't see that happening this time. What I see is the Packers taking a cue from the Iggles and playing some long ball.

Packer fans have a chance to take over the stadium. That would help!

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I'm riding on high now with all these predicitions!..
I'm still going with the thought its going to be a shut out in Minny so 28-0!! GREEN BAY ALL THE WAY!
... and as far as Brett's "injury-of-the-week ", my guess is going to be he's going to claim a trick knee,... or something along the knee troubles!!

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay -- It's Vikings week, but surprisingly the conversation revolved around the Metrodome and the noise factor more than it did around Brett Favre.

Don't know if it was the media or the players who were experiencing Favre fatigue, but the subject did not come up at all in coach Mike McCarthy's news conference and only in spots around the locker room. You would have never thought this is possibly Favre's last game against the Packers.

One good quote about Favre came from defensive end Cullen Jenkins, who was asked if the biggest difference in the Vikings quarterback was his loss of mobility.

"I don’t know if it's possible for Brett to be less mobile," he said.

Jenkins wasn't necessarily dissing Favre.

"One thing Brett can do is he’s real savvy in the pocket.," Jenkins said. "When you go to sack him, he can make moves on you to make him miss. He’s been doing that ever since he’s been here. Once he gets outside, he just doesn’t look to run the guy. He’s never really been a mobile quarterback as far as running the ball."

Here's more from the locker room:

SEEN....

During practice, Jenkins was not wearing a cast on his left hand for the first time since breaking it in Week 1. His fingers are now mobile and able to help him shed blockers and tackle quarterbacks.

Jenkins estimated he missed four to five sacks because of the club he was forced to wear.

"There's just a pad around it," Jenkins said. "Now it’s just strengthening the wrist and the hand and all that stuff and getting used to having it on the ground and putting pressure on the finger and things like that."

HEARD...

QB Aaron Rodgers isn't afraid of playing in the Metrodome, it's just that he's not sure whether his vocal chords can take much more of it.

He'll use the silent count when he's in the shotgun, but when he's under center he's got to make calls that the offensive line and backs can hear.

"The toughest thing for me is losing my voice, screaming from the first quarter on," he said. "The toughest stretches are first quarter, and drives after a score because the crowd is obviously into it. Third-down is easy on my voice because we do silent count like all teams do on the road. But you have to kind of manage your voice, how it’s feeling after the first quarter and then after scores."

SEEN . . .

His locker is in a different area, but TE Spencer Havner still knows how to navigate the premises on and off the field.

Re-signed last weekend, Havner played linebacker during the majority of time with Detroit following his release from the Packers and has some catching up to do. But it's not like a lot has changed around here (other than the position of his locker) and he expects to play Sunday.

"I think they’re probably feathering me in a little bit," Havner said. "I guess that’s probably just how they do it. Hopefully, I’ll get in and make an impact. I feel great. I had a great practice."

HEARD...

It has been awhile since DE Ryan Pickett has been healthy.
After a week off against Dallas and a week off because of the bye, Pickett feels he's getting closer to playing shape. He didn't do much at practice, but he has been running and he's expecting to practice on Thursday.

"I feel good," he said. "Tomorrow I’ll practice and see how it feels. It’s just one of those nagging things that won’t go away. Hopefully, the bye week gave it some time to make it better. The hard thing is picking a game not playing in. Cowboys, that was a big game. Every game coming up is a big game. It’s hard to just step back and say let it heal. I don’t want to miss a snap."

SEEN...

Rookie offensive tackle Bryan Bulaga was doing his best to play through the simulated crowd noise in practice. But not even that can prepare him for the noise at the Metrodome.
Bulaga will be playing in familiar territory given his University of Iowa and Big Ten roots, but that doesn't mean that having played there with the Hawkeyes counts for anything.

"That was with (the University of) Minnesota," he said. "The last time I was in there, we beat them, 55-0. And that was in their last game in the dome. That’s not even going to come close compared to what it’s going to be Sunday. I can’t even use that as a reference point."

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay -- Wide receiver Donald Driver said he has no regrets about sitting out the Dallas game before the bye because his injured thigh wasn't allowing him to do what he does best.

Driver, who had missed just two games since becoming a full-time starter in 2002, missed the Cowboys game after aggravating the thigh injury against the New York Jets Oct. 31. As the week wore on, it became evident that Driver wasn't going to be able to help the team.

On Wednesday, however, nearly three weeks later, he's getting close to coming back. He worked out with the training staff in the Don Hutson Center and is awaiting the green light to practice in full.

He made a brief appearance in the locker room and answered a few questions about his injury.

"I had to run, (do) the conditioning test," Driver said. "I did good. I’m hoping that’s OK to pull the trigger and let me go back to work."

Driver said his injury started innocently enough with a thigh bruise, but trying to play through that made things worse and caused a strain, which is a tearing of the muscle. He said the blood that pooled around the muscle caused undue stress and led to the strain.

"The blood and fluid can’t go anywhere," Driver said. "So you overwork the muscle to try to pump it out and you end up messing something else up. I thought it was just a bruise and I could play through it. I’ve had plenty of those before, but I guess this one said no."

Missing the Cowboys game came on the heels of two straight games in which he did not have a catch. The first game, against Minnesota Oct. 24, broke a franchise-record streak of 139 straight games with a reception.

Driver refused to pin the streak's end on his injured thigh and said he made the right decision to sit out the Dallas game.

"I feel that my body can’t do certain things, I’m not going to risk tearing it up worse than it was," Driver said. "It was a enough tear, maybe if I kept playing on it, I would have made it worse and worse. We’re playing well right now and I don’t want to miss the rest the season by trying to fight through an injury (when) we had a bye week coming up.

"I felt like if I missed one game it wasn’t going to hurt me and it wasn’t going to hurt this team. I’m hoping I can come back the last seven games out."

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay -- It will be a heckuva lot warmer inside the Metrodome Sunday than it was on Clark Hinkle Field Wednesday afternoon.

But there were the Packers running through their normal walk-through and practice in 42-degree temperatures with a wind chill factor of 37.

It might seem unusual for coach Mike McCarthy to have the players outside on the week of a dome game, but there is some logic to having the players practice on a softer surface heading into back-to-back games played on turf.

McCarthy didn't specify on Monday why he was practicing outside, but you can bet that was part of the reason. That, and he's setting the tone for December when the Packers play at New England and at home against the New York Giants and Chicago Bears.

Here's the wrapup from practice:

WR Donald Driver (thigh) was back with the team after missing Monday because of a personal issue, but he did not do much more than stand around during the walk-through. He left during the full practice.
DE Ryan Pickett (ankle), LB Clay Matthews (hamstring), CB Charles Woodson (toe) and OT Chad Clifton (knee) were all present and took part in the walk-through. Pickett and Woodson left to go get treatment, but Matthews stuck around and watched the full practice.
TE Spencer Havner has been thrown into the mix right away and is getting plenty of snaps. Rookie Andrew Quarless is back from a shoulder injury, but since the team did not practice in pads it's hard to know how well he'll hold up in full contact.
The special teams work did not include kickoff return while the media was present so it's unclear how much work Sam Shields got. But McCarthy said last week Shields had the job.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some more evidence, facts of why we cannot and should not expect the Vikings to lay down and die for us.
I expect their best game of the year. We need to play our A game to beat those ******s this week.

• Once 5-2, Kansas City tumbling on the road within the division for a second consecutive week, slipping back into that 5-4 morass that seems to represent about half the league. The Raiders (5-4), praise be, are actually in first place through 10 weeks.
• Ditto for Tennessee, which lost 29-17 at Miami despite its new toy, Randy Moss, and the Dolphins going through every quarterback in town this side of Earl Morrall. Just the other day, I was writing about the surprising 5-2 Titans, with their high-powered offense. They're now 5-4 and have lost two in a row to teams that were at .500 or below.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay -- This week the Packers tried to come up with some explanation for their 20-16 road record under coach Mike McCarthy. Since 2006 when he took over, only 11 teams have had winning records on the road: Indianapolis and New England (26-11 each), New York Giants (24-12), New Orleans and Philadelphia (22-14), Dallas (22-15), New York Jets, San Diego and Tennessee (21-16) and Pittsburgh (19-18).

“When you’re going on the road, you just have to be more focused, more fundamentally sound, know that it is going to be a hostile environment,” said receiver James Jones. “You’ve got to overcome a lot of odds that you might not have to overcome at home.”

The Packers were 5-3 on the road last year.

“There’s focus, on the road. There’s no distractions. You’re away from home. It is all business,” said Ryan Pickett.

This season Green Bay has won at Philadelphia and at the Jets and lost at Chicago and Washington in overtime.

“Some guys feel, I don’t know, less pressure on the road,” said receiver Jordy Nelson. “For whatever reason. I don’t know why. It is not in front of your home fans, you might not be getting booed as much if something goes wrong. And it is yourselves against everyone. It might bring a team closer together. It is just the guys beside you against everyone. So maybe you come together, a little more focused. I don’t know how else you could figure that out.”

Green Bay plays four of the next five games on the road, starting with a trip to Minneapolis this Sunday.

Guard Josh Sitton said communication is the biggest key to surviving on the road, especially in a place as noisy as the Metrodome. The Green Bay linemen in particular have to battle the noise to brace for the pass rush.

“It’s hard for everyone, really, to get off on the snap,” said Sitton. “Especially the tackles. You’re really kind of going on feel, going on movement. So the noise has a large part in that. So we need to jump on them early and try and get the crowd out of it.”

This will be rookie Bryan Bulaga’s first game in one of the loudest venues in the NFL.

“You have to concentrate out there, make sure you’re getting off on the snap count,” said Bulaga. “It’ll be a challenge.”

“It’s not fun playing there. It’ll be exciting for him,” said Sitton, who added that can help Bulaga with a lot of reads but not with everything. “The snap count – he’s on his own.”

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My favorite Lombardi Quote......."God, Family, and the Green Bay Packers and in that order."

Attachments

• vince-lombardi-custom-framed-16x20-canvas-god-family-packers_7706c96759b977f843c086b01dc98283.jpg
    vince-lombardi-custom-framed-16x20-canvas-god-family-packers_7706c96759b977f843c086b01dc98283.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 242

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
HBO is showing a new film, titled "Lombardi" starting 12/11/2010....saw previews and started crying...Damn. I went to some of those games.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Today's the day GBP!!!!!!!

"GO PACK GO!!!!" I'll be back on a few hours after the game, but I wanted to get my cheer on before I left!!!

Here's to Clay for a record number of sacks today!!! :drinks:

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
texing chicks and throwing picks or is it texting dongs and throwing long?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. The big three: This should be the debut of the jumbo front on defense. That’s 340-pound end Ryan Pickett, 340-pound nose B.J. Raji and 360-pound end Howard Green. It will be a first-down defense most likely used when the Vikings go with two receivers or double tight ends. It’s one way to clog things up for running back Adrian Peterson.

2. The return of the screen: The Packers had a lot of success with that play against the hard-charging Vikings in the first meeting. This time around, watch for one of the Vikings linemen to soft rush or drop off into coverage to combat the screen. If that happens, the Packers need to run the ball where it looks like they are going to throw the screen.

3. Short and shorter: Kicker Ryan Longwell’s kickoffs aren’t very long, which is one of the reasons the Vikings are one of the worst teams in the NFL in average drive start. Longwell will place the ball in the corners and try to pin down new returner Sam Shields, but if there are low line drives, Shields has to make use of them.

4. Low and lower: Don’t expect the Packers to kick away much to returner Percy Harvin. I wouldn’t be surprised if they squib-kicked every time. They have to keep him from dominating the game with his returns. He had a 48-yarder in the last meeting and he’s even more dangerous on turf.

5. Clifton and Bulaga won’t be as good as they were at Lambeau Field: If the pair of offensive tackles hold Jared Allen and Ray Edwards to no sacks at the Metrodome then you can start anointing them. The get-offs are so quick it’s next to impossible to keep the two ends in check, especially for a passing team like the Packers. They will get pressure on Aaron Rodgers.

6. To blitz or not to blitz: That is the question facing defensive coordinator Dom Capers. The Vikings did a great job getting the ball to Peterson in the passing game during the last meeting and he was able to get some yards because the Packers were blitzing. Capers wants pressure on Brett Favre, but can he afford to let Peterson run wild?

7. Expect Shields to be tested: The Vikings saw how Dallas’ Dez Bryant used his height advantage against the 5-10 Shields and they’ll try to get the 6-4 Sydney Rice matched up on him. If Bernard Berrian plays, he’ll be another option. If Rice lines up outside all day, expect Tramon Williams to match up against him as much as possible

8. Tight end vs. tight end: The Vikings have Visanthe Shiancoe, who has developed a tight relationship with Favre and should have had a touchdown catch in the last meeting (replay wrongly reversed it). Aside from Harvin, he’s the best option the Vikings have had of late. By contrast, the Packers’ tight ends have been virtually invisible the last four games. If rookie Andrew Quarless is going to be a player, now would be a good time to show it.

9. The right stuff: It makes sense for the Packers to run the ball at Allen, who sells out on the pass rush and can be moved in the running game, but the strength of the offensive line is the right side where Josh Sitton and Bryan Bulaga reside. I wouldn’t be surprised if Tom Crabtree lines up next to Bulaga and the Packers attack that side.

10. Hole in the backfield: It’s likely fullback Korey Hall won’t play because of a back injury and it could affect the way the Packers run the ball up the middle. Hall functions better against speed than Quinn Johnson or John Kuhn. He’s best at picking off linebackers on the second level. It will be interesting to see how his absence affects the run game.

via jsonline

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
5. Clifton and Bulaga won’t be as good as they were at Lambeau Field: If the pair of offensive tackles hold Jared Allen and Ray Edwards to no sacks at the Metrodome then you can start anointing them.

I love that part! I'll be hoping they do just that!!! I was just watching the video's on the Packers home page,the intro part with the snow flying and cheers always inspires me!

I was expecting Clay to be a little more fired up, but I'm sure he'll be right about 11 or so!

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder how many guys chose Deer hunting over watching the packers this weekend

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
My guys just came in from hunting... we have to drive 50 miles to the Packer bar!

i'll check in later,.. ENJOY THE GAME!!!!!!!! :clapping: :happy0005:

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My guys just came in from hunting... we have to drive 50 miles to the Packer bar!

i'll check in later,.. ENJOY THE GAME!!!!!!!! :clapping: :happy0005:

Is it possible to be 50 miles from a bar in Wisconsin? Hard to make it 50 feet!
HTML:

Y'all enjoy the game (picked up that accent when I worked in Dallas)

Members online

Latest posts