1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

No Pass Rusher In Round 1

Discussion in 'Draft Talk' started by Wood Chipper, Feb 10, 2012.

1. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +579 / 31 / -20
    If the scenario comes up where a WR and QB are the top two players on the board, wouldn't it be smarter to trade the pick instead of drafting the player?
  2. AmishMafia

AmishMafia There's cheese under that hat

Ratings:
    +1,522 / 52 / -4
    We also had Jennings who was looking good and drafted Jones in third year before. Ruvell was serviceable. At the time everyone wanted oline and cb help (this was pre Tramon stepping up). Fans were angry about the pick as I recall.
    Jordy only caught 55 catches for 586 yard his first 2 years. That isn't bad as a rookie, but I think it shows we weren't looking him to plug any hole or anything.

Now look at the players we passed on in areas most considered critical:

Offensive Line:
    Chilo Rachal
    Mike Pollak
    Jon Greco
    Jeremy Zuttah

CB
    Tracy Porter
    Tyrell Johnson
    Pat Lee
    Terrence Wheatly
    Terrell Thomas

Now I don't follow other teams nearly as close as I follow the Pack, but I'm not recongnizing any of those names as having much impact. I would much rather have Jordy being impactful 3 years down the road and getting little use for his first 2 years, than to get a player who will get lots of use, but never will amount to much.

I think TT doesn't count on or expect rookies to make big impacts. I think he is always looking a few years down the road. In 3 years we could lose Jennings and nelson to FA and lose Cobb or Jones to injury. Too much can happen in a few years.

Something we can agree on!
  3. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +579 / 31 / -20
    I would much rather get extra draft picks instead of drafting WR Malcom Flyod or QB Ryan Tanehill.
  4. AmishMafia

AmishMafia There's cheese under that hat

Ratings:
    +1,522 / 52 / -4
    Finley, Sitton, Flynn, Bishop, Crosby, Jennings, Collins, etc. all played much better than their draft position may indicate. TT doesn't need to use a 1st to find an impact player. I agree with you, trading down isn't such a bad thing.