Mike Neal Out

Rodgers_Forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Packers DE Mike Neal is out indefinitely after undergoing a surgical operation on his knee this week.
Coach Mike McCarthy characterized Neal's timetable for return as "considerable," which doesn't sound good. McCarthy did say Neal isn't an I.R. candidate yet. Jarius Wynn acquitted himself well at right end in the opener, racking up four tackles (three solo), and a sack. Wynn will remain the starter."
-From Rotoworld

Not looking good for Mike Neal, I'm glad Wynn looked good last week. Do you guys think we'll be able to generate enough pressure w/ CJ and Wynn?

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Aug 17th: "It’s nothing," Neal said. "I just fell down. Nothing’s torn at all. I just have a little inflammation. Everybody’s tripping out for no reason. I’m not on crutches or anything. I’m walking perfectly fine."

Guess not, Mike.

I just lowered my expectations even further on this guy: From `Probably a bust`to `almost certainly a bust`.

OP
OP
Rodgers_Forever

Rodgers_Forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woah now, lets not go labeling him a bust...dude just got injured, but he has the potential to be a very good player.

I define bust as not living up to your expectations, but when you're injured, you don't have the opportunity to live up to them.

At least he had surgury now, so we can let him get healthy for our postseason run.

Besides, have you seen the talent on this football team, we've got a pretty easy schedule the first 16 weeks ;)

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah you and I have different definitions of a bust.

Greg Cook, not a bust.

Jamarcus Russell, a bust.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aug 17th: "It’s nothing," Neal said. "I just fell down. Nothing’s torn at all. I just have a little inflammation. Everybody’s tripping out for no reason. I’m not on crutches or anything. I’m walking perfectly fine."

Guess not, Mike.

I just lowered my expectations even further on this guy: From `Probably a bust`to `almost certainly a bust`.
This must be why Mike apparently quit Twitter the other day.
I noticed a Tweet from Jason Wilde or Tyler Dunn retweeting a twit from Neal saying goodbye to Twitter.

Someone must have called him on that BS above.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's great that they let Cullen Jenkins go in favor of this guy's potential.
Jenkins would miss 3, 5 games a year.
This guy can't make it thru 3 games a year.
And at least we know Cullen produces out there.
With Mike, he "looks like" he will. But we never know.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I told someone not to long ago on here, that dont count on Neal, as he is always hurt..

Hate to be right

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Significant in MM's terms a lot of times means season-ending. Not good, not good. I wish him a speedy recovery, and Jarius Wynn and CJ Wilson a great season, because we'll need it.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woah now, lets not go labeling him a bust...dude just got injured, but he has the potential to be a very good player.

I define bust as not living up to your expectations, but when you're injured, you don't have the opportunity to live up to them.

At least he had surgury now, so we can let him get healthy for our postseason run.

Besides, have you seen the talent on this football team, we've got a pretty easy schedule the first 16 weeks ;)

How is someone who never plays because of injuries living up to expectations? Its not my expectation they get injured, and you can't "assume" they are going to play well when they are in there. Every player has the potential to play well because they were picked up by an NFL team, meaning they played well in college. At this point I refrain from using the bust word on most players but I will say mike neals injuries have been a disappointment.

JamesCA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he's going to be out for half a season or more then they should IR him and maybe look at Igor Olshansky who knows the 3-4 defense.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he's going to be out for half a season or more then they should IR him and maybe look at Igor Olshansky who knows the 3-4 defense.

Agreed. The fact they haven't IR'd him leaves some hope. Another possible candidate to replace him would be ex-Bears and Colts Tommie Harris. He's not a true 3-4 DE, but he looked pretty good in the preseason. I believe he is still available.

Hopefully Vic So'oto can replicate his great preseason in the regular season and help provide some more pass rush.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got a bunch of grief over my posts about the DL and Neal a month or so ago when I voiced concerns about his health, and depth of the DL. Not happy I was right but it appears I was correct about the injury bug and his ability to be healthy. We really need to avoid DL guys with injury problems in college that manifest again at the pro level. I think keeping Jenkins was the smart thing. Even if Wynn continues to play like he did in the first game we are so thin on the DL. I'm afraid another guy will get nicked there.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just play a 2-4-5 the rest of the year. Two down linemen. Raji and whoever else can fog a mirror. We will still outscore all other opponents.

PackersDraft

Draftnik
Reaction score
I would not label A.J. Hawk, Reggie Bush, or Carson Palmer as a bust. I would label Alex Smith, Jamarcus Russell, and Ryan Leaf all as busts. Mike Neal is not a bust. However, a 3-4 end is something I would be wiling to bed that Ted is going to target in next year's draft. Ted loves his big defensive lineman.

JASIII

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's zero % chance of Olshansky coming to GB. I've heard numerous times he's not the personality type TT wants. He's not "Packer People". Read into that what you will...

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Is Justin Harrell still available, in shape, and healthy? He was just as available his first two seasons as Neal looks to be. May as well try to get him for min wage to get some worth out of him. He did play (study) in Caper's D for his entire short-lived injury filled career.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Yeah it was..You wanted to count on Neal and I said dont
It was like this. I have seen players get hurt once and people call them injury risks. Neal only had been hurt last year. I just expected him to come in and play a good portion of the season. I really didn't think it would be so brief.
I hope I'm wrong but it feels like another Harrell situation.
So my whole position about letting Jenkins leave is obviously wrong. I sure do wish we had him now.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It was like this. I have seen players get hurt once and people call them injury risks. Neal only had been hurt last year. I just expected him to come in and play a good portion of the season. I really didn't think it would be so brief.
I hope I'm wrong but it feels like another Harrell situation.
So my whole position about letting Jenkins leave is obviously wrong. I sure do wish we had him now.

Seems like Neal has issues staying healthy just like Jenkins...

So if he isnt playing he cant be as good as Jenkins

http://www.packerforum.com/threads/eagles-dream-team.29190/page-2#post-377768

Aug 16th is when I posted about Neal and not being healthy...

Now I really wish they kept Cullen

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Well crap. 10 days ago they supposedly weren’t sure if he’d play against the Saints and now surgery. The Packers have 5 healthy DL and with Neal out for probably a couple of months I checked the practice squad to see who was up next… … … Apparently that player is currently on another teams’ practice squad or pursuing employment outside of the NFL. It’s pretty obvious Jenkins wasn’t going to be in their plans no matter what since they could have afforded what Philly paid him. I’d guess it was because they view him as injury prone too and young injury prone is preferable to old injury prone.