Mike Neal Out

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it annoys me when people trash players that have done nothing wrong but just are injured. Then again these are normally the same that defended brett favre too when he stabbed the packers in the back and call up the lions to tell them everything he knew.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
it annoys me when people trash players that have done nothing wrong but just are injured. Then again these are normally the same that defended brett favre too when he stabbed the packers in the back and call up the lions to tell them everything he knew.

Calling a player a bust is far from "trashing" them, Ivo. You are getting annoyed over nothing. It is simply the recognition that, thus far, Neal has produced little to nothing since being a high round pick. When a player misses most of his first two years due to injury (especially a player that was expected to start within this time frame), most people begin to suspect that the pick was not a good one. That's what the word "bust" means.

It does not mean in any way that the player did this on purpose and/or was his fault. No one is suggesting this. Had he faked an injury or did not play when he could, then trashing would commence (See: J. Cutler).

Or do you, Ivo, not have the opinion that Justin Harrell was a bust? I mean, it wasn't his fault that he constantly got injured...

And for the record, I did not defend Brett Favre.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Are there any Quality DE's still out there as free agents. Sure wish we had kept Jenkins. We could have signed him to the same contract he got in Philly. Oh well in Ted we trust.

I am sure Neal is angry and depressed about the way in which he was injured. Talk about bad luck.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I got a bunch of grief over my posts about the DL and Neal a month or so ago when I voiced concerns about his health, and depth of the DL. Not happy I was right but it appears I was correct about the injury bug and his ability to be healthy. We really need to avoid DL guys with injury problems in college that manifest again at the pro level. I think keeping Jenkins was the smart thing. Even if Wynn continues to play like he did in the first game we are so thin on the DL. I'm afraid another guy will get nicked there.

Jenkins played 4 games, 16 games, and 11 games in his past three years after running mostly full seasons in his earlier career. There's no guarantee he will (and it looks more than possible he won't) play a whole season this year. The team apparently saw a health trend they weren't willing to pay for. Now they have another health problem but that doesn't mean keeping the old health problem would have been the solution. I agree with the person who wrote that the team should consider health more when they draft for the lines.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can't miss what we never had. In my book he never contributed to the team so if we won a Super Bowl and the season opener without him, we can win any game without him.

Gimme some of that optimism juice! Not saying I think our season is over, but I am totally diggin' what you just wrote.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calling a player a bust is far from "trashing" them, Ivo. You are getting annoyed over nothing. It is simply the recognition that, thus far, Neal has produced little to nothing since being a high round pick. When a player misses most of his first two years due to injury (especially a player that was expected to start within this time frame), most people begin to suspect that the pick was not a good one. That's what the word "bust" means.

It does not mean in any way that the player did this on purpose and/or was his fault. No one is suggesting this. Had he faked an injury or did not play when he could, then trashing would commence (See: J. Cutler).

Or do you, Ivo, not have the opinion that Justin Harrell was a bust? I mean, it wasn't his fault that he constantly got injured...

And for the record, I did not defend Brett Favre.

You are confused, some posters, I wont call anyone out that hasnt already been called out, trashes the player as a person and their ability, based on them being injured. You saw it with Harrell. Oddly enough people that were at every practice reported that he was doing very well in his ability to perform.

And again I guess we can disagree on the definition of a bust. Injury is not a bust. Just plain sucking is a bust. Again, as an example for you, Greg cook, not a bust. Jamarcus Russell, a bust. See the difference? Or no?

The favre shot wasnt directed at you but if the shoe fits....

Harrell was not a bust. He was injured.

I laugh at the people who scream for him to be released. Its just typical bandwagon behavior really, on a smaller scale.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got a bunch of grief over my posts about the DL and Neal a month or so ago when I voiced concerns about his health, and depth of the DL. Not happy I was right but it appears I was correct about the injury bug and his ability to be healthy. We really need to avoid DL guys with injury problems in college that manifest again at the pro level. I think keeping Jenkins was the smart thing. Even if Wynn continues to play like he did in the first game we are so thin on the DL. I'm afraid another guy will get nicked there.

Everyone loves the "even though we are one game into the season I was right!" post.

This is going to be this years RB drama. Cant wait. :)

Reaction score
Gimme some of that optimism juice! Not saying I think our season is over, but I am totally diggin' what you just wrote.

Haha thanks! Just stating the facts, really. After last season, every Packers fan should be optimistic about every season!

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jenkins played 4 games, 16 games, and 11 games in his past three years after running mostly full seasons in his earlier career. There's no guarantee he will (and it looks more than possible he won't) play a whole season this year. The team apparently saw a health trend they weren't willing to pay for. Now they have another health problem but that doesn't mean keeping the old health problem would have been the solution. I agree with the person who wrote that the team should consider health more when they draft for the lines.

As you correctly state Jenkins played 16 and 11 games for the Packers his last two seasons. For comparison purposes Neal has played three.

And I was the one who said we should avoid Defensive linemen in with injury problems in college. :D

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
As you correctly state Jenkins played 16 and 11 games for the Packers his last two seasons. For comparison purposes Neal has played three.

And I was the one who said we should avoid Defensive linemen in with injury problems in college. :D

And on that we agree! This season will tell about Jenkins' reliability. So far he's made it through 1 game. But, in all fairness, I may well be wrong. If he makes it through the end of the season and has stellar year, we'll know it was a mistake. However, if he gets injured or only goes through the season with a couple of sacks, then it was probably ok to let him go. I mean after all, at least one of his replacements (Wynn) already has one sack one game into the year.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And on that we agree! This season will tell about Jenkins' reliability. So far he's made it through 1 game. But, in all fairness, I may well be wrong. If he makes it through the end of the season and has stellar year, we'll know it was a mistake. However, if he gets injured or only goes through the season with a couple of sacks, then it was probably ok to let him go. I mean after all, at least one of his replacements (Wynn) already has one sack one game into the year.

Well the plays, field conditions, weather, teams, etc. will be different with Philly. He could get hurt in Philly because of these circumstances or not. Same is true if he played with the Packers. All we know now is that Neal is hurt...again. And in that I'm disappointed as you no doubt are. I want to see him on the field. So far he is MIA.

PFanCan

Reaction score
...trashes the player as a person and their ability, based on them being injured. You saw it with Harrell.

I guess I hadn't noticed anyone yet pointing the finger at Neal. Froming reading the news, it is quite apparent that Neal is extremely upset with his bad case of injury-itus. I certainly am not blaming the guy.
...I guess we can disagree on the definition of a bust. Injury is not a bust. Just plain sucking is a bust. Again, as an example for you, Greg cook, not a bust. Jamarcus Russell, a bust. See the difference? Or no?

Yes, I see the difference. We just disagree on symantics. My definition of a bust is someone who does not perform anywhere near expectations-- for any reasons... including injuries. To me, it doesn't matter much why, what matters is that thus far, it seems that the Packers failed on that 2nd round pick.

...I laugh at the people who scream for him to be released. Its just typical bandwagon behavior really, on a smaller scale.

I certainly am not screaming for him to be released. If he is going to be out for more than half the season, though, he should go on IR to free up that roster spot. To tell you the truth, I am wondering if J. Harrell is available for a quick pick up? Why not?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh this board would explode if TT went back to Harrell. Then again he traded away the most popular player in packers history. so what does he care.

PFanCan

Reaction score
LOL, Croak!

You gotta admit-- how cool would it be for Justin Harrell to arrive back in GB, finish the season while playing to his potential and become a star... hypothetically speaking.

Very hypothetically speaking. :)

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we get a Harrell resign petition going pleeeeeease? Give the kid a shot!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Can we get a Harrell resign petition going pleeeeeease? Give the kid a shot!
Why not? TT brought back Tauscher when he was injured and a FA to start the season a few years back after Plan B failed miserably. By the time Neal gets healthy, Harrell will be hurt again.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
We really need to avoid DL guys with injury problems in college that manifest again at the pro level.
But that’s the rub, isn’t it? It’s OK to draft guys that had injury problems in college as long as they stay healthy in the pros, right? Of course identifying which group a player falls into is obviously the tricky part.

I understand the comparison to Harrell but I do think there’s a difference between the two. As I remember it, Harrell had a lot more injury red flags when he was drafted than Neal did: Harrell’s participation in OTAs and minicamps was limited because he was still recovering from the injury he suffered his last season at Tennessee. Although Neal was injured a couple of times during his college career, he started 23 games his last two years of college, including all 12 games his senior year and he played in the East-West Shrine game and Senior Bowl. Yes, there were some concerns injury-wise with Neal but I don’t think they were at the same level as with Harrell.

Neal hasn’t been hit by the injury bug since arriving in Green Bay, he’s been mauled by it. As we all know he strained his abdomen and missed the first three games of his rookie season, played a couple of games and then hurt his shoulder and was done for the year. And now of course, it’s his knee. I wonder if part of his problem is he’s so built up from weight lifting. You wouldn’t think so with the advanced techniques available for training in this day and age, but it could be a combination of his genetics and massive musculature.

This is just the beginning of his second year but Packers fans would have to have their heads in the sand not to be concerned. IMO he’s worth keeping around because if he can get and stay healthy, he can be a special player. This is from his biography on the Packers website: “Strong, promising defensive end and inside pass rusher who will look to come back from an injury-riddled rookie season that limited him to just two games…In that small sample of playing time, showed tremendous potential by recording five tackles, a sack and a forced fumble…” Yes, that’s a biased (and out of date) source but I was very impressed with his play during the all-too-brief period he was out there.

It may be best if he gets IR’d this year and begins next season completely healthy (if that’s possible for him). Of course if the surgery went well and he rehabs quickly they’ll keep him active. A completely healthy Neal for the middle to end of season run could be as important as Starks was to the team last year. As I said, I get the comparison to Harrell, but just because Harrell didn’t work out doesn’t mean Neal won’t. But just like the situation with Harrell in and after his second year, it would be foolish for the Packers to depend upon Neal going forward (re: next year’s draft) until he proves he can stay on the field.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
But that’s the rub, isn’t it? It’s OK to draft guys that had injury problems in college as long as they stay healthy in the pros, right? Of course identifying which group a player falls into is obviously the tricky part.

I understand the comparison to Harrell but I do think there’s a difference between the two. As I remember it, Harrell had a lot more injury red flags when he was drafted than Neal did: Harrell’s participation in OTAs and minicamps was limited because he was still recovering from the injury he suffered his last season at Tennessee. Although Neal was injured a couple of times during his college career, he started 23 games his last two years of college, including all 12 games his senior year and he played in the East-West Shrine game and Senior Bowl. Yes, there were some concerns injury-wise with Neal but I don’t think they were at the same level as with Harrell.

Neal hasn’t been hit by the injury bug since arriving in Green Bay, he’s been mauled by it. As we all know he strained his abdomen and missed the first three games of his rookie season, played a couple of games and then hurt his shoulder and was done for the year. And now of course, it’s his knee. I wonder if part of his problem is he’s so built up from weight lifting. You wouldn’t think so with the advanced techniques available for training in this day and age, but it could be a combination of his genetics and massive musculature.

This is just the beginning of his second year but Packers fans would have to have their heads in the sand not to be concerned. IMO he’s worth keeping around because if he can get and stay healthy, he can be a special player. This is from his biography on the Packers website: “Strong, promising defensive end and inside pass rusher who will look to come back from an injury-riddled rookie season that limited him to just two games…In that small sample of playing time, showed tremendous potential by recording five tackles, a sack and a forced fumble…” Yes, that’s a biased (and out of date) source but I was very impressed with his play during the all-too-brief period he was out there.

It may be best if he gets IR’d this year and begins next season completely healthy (if that’s possible for him). Of course if the surgery went well and he rehabs quickly they’ll keep him active. A completely healthy Neal for the middle to end of season run could be as important as Starks was to the team last year. As I said, I get the comparison to Harrell, but just because Harrell didn’t work out doesn’t mean Neal won’t. But just like the situation with Harrell in and after his second year, it would be foolish for the Packers to depend upon Neal going forward (re: next year’s draft) until he proves he can stay on the field.

I think Justin played most of his college games other then his senior year when he tore that bicep..And that is why his stock dropped

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tenn...7-justin-harrell-tennessee-football-team.html

They all thought he was the best to ever play there

PFanCan

Reaction score
I wonder if part of his problem is he’s so built up from weight lifting.

That's what I have been thinking, too. I wonder if he is so muscle bound that his flexibility is low. That is, if everything pushes against him as he expects (as the weights do), his strength is amazing. But, when something hits him from an odd angle, his tightly-wired body rips, rather than bends.

Just killing time. I have no clue. Hope he gets better.

Members online

Latest posts