Mike McCarthy Getting Unfairly Blamed For Injuries, Bad Kicking And Team Youth

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta wonder, though, if his definition of 'best' is based on $$$ and stats versus wins.

The $$$ is based on NFL front office definitions of best (otherwise Damarious Randall would be paid a ton) and stats, at least the ones he's the best at (TD:INT ratio primarily) are mainly associated with winning. You might have an argument if he was the best at running the ball as a QB, or tackling (those aren't great stats for a QB) but I'm not sure how 'best' in regard to his stats doesn't actually coincide with being the best.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The $$$ is based on NFL front office definitions of best (otherwise Damarious Randall would be paid a ton) and stats, at least the ones he's the best at (TD:INT ratio primarily) are mainly associated with winning. You might have an argument if he was the best at running the ball as a QB, or tackling (those aren't great stats for a QB) but I'm not sure how 'best' in regard to his stats doesn't actually coincide with being the best.

Hard to tell, but I don't think we're that far apart. I think he's near or at the top of the stats, and he's certainly at the top of pay structure. My (perhaps ill-stated) question/concern was whether he's more interested in those individual recognitions as opposed to term performance. In other words, if being ONE of the highest paid and CLOSE to the statistical best would result in another Lombardi, would he make the trade? Nobody but AR, and perhaps even he, can be sure, but that was my reason for the post.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to tell, but I don't think we're that far apart. I think he's near or at the top of the stats, and he's certainly at the top of pay structure. My (perhaps ill-stated) question/concern was whether he's more interested in those individual recognitions as opposed to term performance. In other words, if being ONE of the highest paid and CLOSE to the statistical best would result in another Lombardi, would he make the trade? Nobody but AR, and perhaps even he, can be sure, but that was my reason for the post.

Ahh, makes sense. I see what you're saying but the way this team is built (or rather, should be built) shouldn't require Rodgers to be the absolute best to win (a well built and coached team should be able to win with a top-5 QB). I think unfortunately that's the team that's been created however.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think disagreeing “X” should have limitations! Maybe like challenge flags per thread. If we use more than 3 disagrees it should hold some unsportsmanlike ramifications. Each disagree over the threshold should flip to an “Agree” once the user exits the thread? :tup:
It does. I highlighted the important part.
Personal Attacks:
We have had a rash of situations pop up that should be addressed again. We are not going to tolerate name calling or personal attacks on other people just because you disagree with their point of view. A preponderance of negative ratings directed at a poster will be viewed as a personal attack. Rating posts that are over two months old in an attempt to incite the poster will be viewed as a personal attack. If you disagree with a post and then follow it up with a post explaining your point of view, it will not fall under this guideline.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not just that. A disagree without a post on why is meaningless and doesn't encourage discussion. I'd take that off for good. You can agree, but to disagree you need to make a counter point.

Well if it's gotta go that far, I'd day just throw the red X out entirely.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not just that. A disagree without a post on why is meaningless and doesn't encourage discussion. I'd take that off for good. You can agree, but to disagree you need to make a counter point.
I was very tempted to hit that post with a red X lol. I do disagree with it however. I very often agree with a post and will hit the agree button without a follow up. Occasionally, I will disagree and do not feel obligated to always explain why. Often I will... but feel no obligation to do so. I will not troll anyone with a string of red x’s but will throw one out here and there. Statistically... I’d say it’s likely that I probably give them to the same person more than once since it is likely that I will disagree with them more than others lol.

Starr To Dowler

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I like your thinking.

My personal view on the Red X is that it's meaningless any way you look at it. If someone X's a post and doesn't comment on why, then they were either doing it only to poke me with a stick or they had a reason that they didn't feel like explaining - and neither of those two things is going to affect my position in any way. Has no impact on my life.

On the other hand, if they X me and offer an argument for why they did, then the X wasn't necessary - the counterargument alone is sufficient. So again, the X didn't affect my life in any way.

So I really don't worry about it. I've been hit by a mass-X attack recently, and I knew who it was and why. I just thought it was funny. Personally, there is nothing I would do differently with the X policy, because it doesn't affect me in any way.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back to McCarthy, all he needs is just to hang 38 points up there this Monday, and offense will have the confidence to go pound for pound with the Rams.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have plenty of talent on offense to be one of the five best in the NFL if the players can either A) get a scheme that plays to their strengths or (if you believe MM is an innocent scapegoat that's been the target of bad luck for three years) B) get a coach that can get the players to buy into the scheme in a way that the current players (ahem, Rodgers) just aren't. We can complain about Rodgers not buying in and not playing to the scheme as much as we want but if the best way to get him to play within the scheme is to change the coach, then that's the way the team should go. Just wagging your finger at Rodgers and saying, "do better" might not be that effective.

If Rodgers doesn't buy into McCarthy's offensive scheme anymore the Packers need to replace the head coach. I don't think that to be the case though.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No issues with Rodgers not buying into MM's offense period.

Only QB I'd put in that category of not buying into coach schemes is Mariota who took 11 sacks today.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only people that thinks MM should stay is the people thats still living in 2010. Get over it, that was a miracle season get over it, its almost been a decade. MM is just not creative enough. His offense might work in college where the talent level is significantly different from team to team. Aaron has carried him long enough.

D

Deleted member 6794

Only people that thinks MM should stay is the people thats still living in 2010. Get over it, that was a miracle season get over it, its almost been a decade. MM is just not creative enough. His offense might work in college where the talent level is significantly different from team to team. Aaron has carried him long enough.

Yet for some strange reason the Packers rank third in points scored in the NFL since the start of the 2011 season :rolleyes:

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pretty sure you're talking about Adam Gase and Kyle Shanahan here

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet for some strange reason the Packers rank third in points scored in the NFL since the start of the 2011 season :rolleyes:
Is that the offensive game plan or is that Aaron doing what he does by extending plays A LOT, but hey I can be wrong im not to much of a stat guy. Just hasn't seem like an efficient offense to me. Lets just say stats doesn't tell all of the truth capt. The offense was shut down vs the lions and they played prevent second half. Oh and I hope the offense start playing like a 3rd rank offense since 2011 because it sure doesn't look like it. Honestly I think Aaron is tired of MM's game planning/playbook

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offense so far has looked pretty good tonight.

Now that joker Joe Whitt running this pass defense is certainly an idiot. Hopefully McCarthy fires him at halftime.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offense hasn’t looked that good. A couple nice passes and a nice run. A bunch of **** plays, a lot of pressure given up and more mistakes. 6 freaking points off gift turnovers? The offense is sucking a bag so far too

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There have been some play calls that got me scratching my head sure, and a few missed opportunities. But if we gotta win a 43-40 game like last night just to beat these guys, that's on the defense being sucko 100℅.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll just say I was willing to give MM and ARod some blame when the offense went stagnant tonight. And there were some bad play calls that had me scratching my head like that one play where Montgomery took the handoff and then looked to pitch it out on a reverse or something. And at times yes, MM should have used more man beater routes in his passing calls.

But the reason I'm still much more hot at our defensive coaches and Whitt especially is because it's inexcusable to allow a lousy offense like SF with a terrible backup QB to go all vertical on you and make second rate receivers look as good as Julio and Fitz. Thank god Bethard decided to pull a bad Brett Favre and go for the greedy TD shot that went in Kevin King's hands instead, or Whitt would be in the barbecue right now.

D

Deleted member 6794

Is that the offensive game plan or is that Aaron doing what he does by extending plays A LOT, but hey I can be wrong im not to much of a stat guy. Just hasn't seem like an efficient offense to me. Lets just say stats doesn't tell all of the truth capt. The offense was shut down vs the lions and they played prevent second half. Oh and I hope the offense start playing like a 3rd rank offense since 2011 because it sure doesn't look like it. Honestly I think Aaron is tired of MM's game planning/playbook

The offense has definitely not performed like an elite one this season. That doesn't mean McCarthy doesn't know how to coordinate a successful unit.

Just to clarify, if they don't improve over the course of the year it might be time to move on from him though.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What just needs to change is this 23-24 point stagnation pattern.

Thus far it's either been start out slow like we did against Chicago, Washington and Detroit and not get anything going until late in the game. Or it's start out hot like we did against Buffalo and last night, and then go full sputter, or at least until we found ourselves down 30-23.

Although none of that is an excuse for this pass defense.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to hear the reason that Aaron Jones got 19 snaps in this game. Last week it was because the game was out of hand early. This game was really close. So why is the best RB on the team STILL playing so little?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I would love to hear the reason that Aaron Jones got 19 snaps in this game. Last week it was because the game was out of hand early. This game was really close. So why is the best RB on the team STILL playing so little?
This is a good question.

He's running at nearly 6 yards a clip.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually do have a beef with MM in that regard in that this RB by committee should stop.

Montgomery is useless when he carries the ball and should get no more snaps unless he is sent out of the backfield on deep routes. Now I get why we converted him to RB in 2016 because we had no depth at that position at the time with Lacy going down, Starks being awful and the Michael experiment failing. But that was then and not the case now. In my opinion, other than making some catches Montgomery is damn near useless out there.

I do think when taking handoffs on first or 2nd down and 10, Jones should be the key back because he's the fastest and most explosive.

I think Williams has more power in his runs and can be used on 3rd and short situations to move the pile, so I'm okay with him still getting some fair share of touches. But yes MM needs to abolish this 3 RB system.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I actually do have a beef with MM in that regard in that this RB by committee should stop.

Montgomery is useless when he carries the ball and should get no more snaps unless he is sent out of the backfield on deep routes. Now I get why we converted him to RB in 2016 because we had no depth at that position at the time with Lacy going down, Starks being awful and the Michael experiment failing. But that was then and not the case now. In my opinion, other than making some catches Montgomery is damn near useless out there.

I do think when taking handoffs on first or 2nd down and 10, Jones should be the key back because he's the fastest and most explosive.

I think Williams has more power in his runs and can be used on 3rd and short situations to move the pile, so I'm okay with him still getting some fair share of touches. But yes MM needs to abolish this 3 RB system.
Montgomery did have the big 14 yard run that step up the game winning FG drive, but I do agree that I'd like to see much more of Aaron Jones.