Merriman?

ARodIsGod

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really see why this would be a bad move for TT. Even if Merriman doesn't pan out, he gives us a fantastic insurance policy for Matthews and Jones. What happens if Matthews goes down this year? It will be the same trickle down effect that saw Bush somehow squeeze his way into the roster. I for one see Green Bay having the No. 1 Offense in the league with all of Rodgers' weapons next year, so it only makes sense to go out, spend the money we have sitting in the bank, and complement him with a beefed up defense. This team is primed and ready to bring Lombardi back home and i for one say we take it.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Idk I'm not a big fan of rumors posted on twitter, or as I like to call them "tumors." Anyone remember that picture of Taylor Mays wearing a Green Bay hat?
I think that's different.

That was him training with his best friend, which happens to be a Packer (CM3). And I don't rule out that TT would've picked Mays, where him available at our 2nd.

This remark about cheese was completely out of the blue...

And what else could it be? He has no leverage in negotiations. Implying going to GB wouldn't help him, as far as I know...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that's different.

That was him training with his best friend, which happens to be a Packer (CM3). And I don't rule out that TT would've picked Mays, where him available at our 2nd.

This remark about cheese was completely out of the blue...

And what else could it be? He has no leverage in negotiations. Implying going to GB wouldn't help him, as far as I know...

Take a look at this NFL Forum :: - Merriman Hinting About GB on Twitter?

Cheese can't simply mean going to the Packers. That thread is spot on. Merriman didn't sign his offer sheet during the draft when the chargers were shopping him because the contracts that those teams were proposing didn't fit what he was looking for. Cheese=moo-lah=money=the real motivation for Merriman's displeasure. He's working hard and hitting the gym because he likes that cheese. Translation: he's working hard to have a breakout season so he'll get a nice fat contract extension.

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First Pac man talk and now Merriman? I don't know...I just don't know.

Maybe my neck is too red, or I'm too Old School...but my gut tells me no.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take a look at this NFL Forum :: - Merriman Hinting About GB on Twitter?

Cheese can't simply mean going to the Packers. That thread is spot on. Merriman didn't sign his offer sheet during the draft when the chargers were shopping him because the contracts that those teams were proposing didn't fit what he was looking for. Cheese=moo-lah=money=the real motivation for Merriman's displeasure. He's working hard and hitting the gym because he likes that cheese. Translation: he's working hard to have a breakout season so he'll get a nice fat contract extension.
good point

Green_Bay_Packers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 14 of the 16 games he played last season he did not have a sack. In addition he had several no tackle games. He missed almost the whole season two years ago, and has not shown anything that would give anyone a reason to think about putting him on the field since he tested positive for roids. Add in the off the field drama and the red flags come up.

He didnt have a sack?

Really?

OMG! I would have never thought that

supermancc0386

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are, though. According to ESPN, they're still looking for a very good deal for him.-- a similar deal they were before this past offseason.

Actually, after doing some serious research, the Chargers seem willing to part ways with Merriman for a reasonable price. Two teams seriously inquired about him during the draft and the Chargers were not against making the deal. The trouble was with the extension. Both teams felt Merriman's representatives were asking too much.

Not saying for sure, but it would not surprise me if one of the teams that inquired was in fact Green Bay. Sounds very much like TT. He wouldn't overpay.

That all being said, I think I would like to have him on the team. I've followed him on Twitter for a while and he seems to be friends with Matthews, Grant, and Barnett (maybe more? not sure). So I think the chemistry would be good. Also, it would solidify a position. I really like Brad Jones. I was not one of those guys saying OLB was our big need. I thought there were some good OLB's out there this year. It would have been nice if one had fallen into our laps. But mostly to get another guy at the position. I like Chillar too. But this is football. You need to have depth. I think we're all comfortable enough with Matthews and Jones as starters. But whats after them? Chillar? Sure. But I like him for what he is: a specialty guy. I don't know if I'd feel comfortable with him being an every down guy (not to say he couldn't be). And what if we suffer two injuries? To that extent, I think grabbing Merriman would be great. We'd have three guys I'd feel comfortable starting. You can never have too many good football players. Especially good LB's in a 3-4.

If I was TT, I'd be driving home the recent production and injury issues with his people. What if he has another crappy year or gets hurt again? Then what's he going to get paid in FA? They'd probably counter with the fact that someone will pay for him (ala Kampman even though Aaron was more productive and probably worth it). Then, I would say yeah that's probably true. Some desperate, losing team will probably throw money at him, but he'll never see the playoffs again. He's got a chance to come in to a young, playoff team, poised to make multiple runs at SB titles. He's got good friends on that team. On that team, he has the chance to come in and contribute from day one and possibly even add some leadership. Then, offer him a reasonable contract and line it with some incentives. If it were me, going to play with some friends, on a young, winning team for some good money would definitely win me over.

I think at the end of the day, Merriman is a gamble worth taking. It's likely he would benefit on and off the field from moving to Green Bay. He's got a great upside. It'd be beneficial for us depth-wise. If we could work out the contract, it seems like the Chargers won't be asking for a king's ransom (also, barring anything serious, most of our 2011 picks will probably be late in the rounds anyway so essentially, our 2nd is almost a 3rd and our 3rd almost a 4th). He would benefit by getting to play on a high quality, young team where he would have a good shot at winning a SB(making him more valuable in the future. He's 25 now. 3-4 year extension would line him up for a nice payday). If he comes back well and is productive, he still makes some good money. If you could get him to a reasonable contract, I'd make the deal. Too much upside to pass on.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love the thought of getting Merriman, but I watched him last year and he really did no better than Brad Jones did. I know Merriman was coming off the ACL and that takes awhile, but Jones was also a rookie and he too should improve.

If it would be the same Merriman as 2007, I'd throw in some of my own money.

I also follow him on Twitter and he is funny, also publicly thanks God like Will Blackmon does all the time, and Larry Fitzgerald, Aaron Kampman, etc.... I like guys like that.

Still, I don't see it happening. TT seems to have addressed this situation by bringing in 3 undrafted guys to add depth behind BJ. He is content with BJ being the guy, but wants depth.

Jerry Hughes.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
I bet he was thanking god when he was taking all those steroids, This guy has character questions as well, I dont see why you guys are so High on merriman but dont like players like pacman jones etc.. Merriman has had more than his fair share of run-ins with the law, and the commissioner. Look at his numbers Post-Steroid sanction, Their terrible and he ends up getting injured, you guys wanna give up a draft pick, and give this guy a huge contract???, he's not gonna come and play for Base NFL salary the guy thinks he's an ultra megastar, he wants TOP Elite NFL money.

NICKBARNETT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet he was thanking god when he was taking all those steroids, This guy has character questions as well, I dont see why you guys are so High on merriman but dont like players like pacman jones etc.. Merriman has had more than his fair share of run-ins with the law, and the commissioner. Look at his numbers Post-Steroid sanction, Their terrible and he ends up getting injured, you guys wanna give up a draft pick, and give this guy a huge contract???, he's not gonna come and play for Base NFL salary the guy thinks he's an ultra megastar, he wants TOP Elite NFL money.

top elite money? no team will give him elite money.and please dont compair jones to merriman, thats dumb jones is the worst problem the nfl has ever seen he has s h i t on goodell and the nfl a number of times.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
top elite money? no team will give him elite money.and please dont compair jones to merriman, thats dumb jones is the worst problem the nfl has ever seen he has s h i t on goodell and the nfl a number of times.

That is what he WANT'S, not what he is going to get, and players that want a lot of money, and end up not getting a lot of money, dont usually play well, especially if they have prior character issues.

NICKBARNETT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is what he WANT'S, not what he is going to get, and players that want a lot of money, and end up not getting a lot of money, dont usually play well, especially if they have prior character issues.

thats what he wants? who told u that his agent.... there is no way in hell he expects top elite money sorry.

supermancc0386

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, he's not too much different than Brad Jones. That's kinda why I wouldn't mind having him. I wouldn't feel bad starting one or the other. May the best man win.

As for giving up a pick for him, yeah I don't think it could hurt much. I mean sure if we give up a 1st or 2nd that's probably not ideal. Outside of that, our 3rd rounder will likely (*knocks on wood*) be like an early 4th ect... He's got enough upside and he's young enough I would give up our 3rd to get him with a reasonable contract extension. Really nothing to lose when you think about it. You're getting an NFL ready guy. Whether he is a superstar or not is yet to be determined. He's shown the upside. At worst he's an NFL ready OLB. Not much of a downside.

**While checking into his steroids issues, I began looking over his stats. In his first 3 healthy seasons, he posted 39.5 sacks. If that's not enough upside, I don't know what is. In 2008, he had the knee issues and came back in 2009 from the knee issues and battled a foot injury. Most athletes are not the same until two years after major knee surgery, so I would expect him to bounce back well this year **

As for his "troubles", I think they are more just growing pains than chronic issues like Pacman. He messed up with the steroid thing. Did he need them? Maybe, maybe not. He was an unknown and I don't think teams respected him enough and that's why his stats were so good. But he did get suspended for steroids so now we'll never know and everyone will say his numbers were because of steroids. People mess up and there was a lot of pressure on him. He's tested clean on 19 of 20 random tests(some were prior to his suspension) so I doubt his performance was entirely due to steroids. And his issues with Tila are laughable. After reading about it, I would say it had more to do with Tila trying to climb back into the limelight than anything. He should have never got involved with her in the first place, but I think he's learned his lesson. And I took like the idea of keeping Tila's diseases out of WI.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
thats what he wants? who told u that his agent.... there is no way in hell he expects top elite money sorry.

YOU ARE CRAZY MAN

lol
you think shawne Merriman doesnt think's he's the baddest **** in the league. He's been complaining about his contract in SanDiego since he got there. Every year we hear about S.Merriman is gonna be traded cause he wants a new contract and nothing happens. The guy isnt as good as he used to be, Theres no room for players like that on the packers roster. He has already said this offseason that HE Personally wants BIG ELITE MONEY, BIG CONTRACT. What makes you think if we give up a 5th round pick, he would even come to green bay. All he cares about is money, money money money money money money money money, you give a guy like that a ****** contract and he'll play like garbage. I dont want someone that yells at refs and coaches, thinks he's better than he is, and hangs out with tila tequila. Chargers consider dimming the lights out on Shawne Merriman - Shutdown Corner - NFL Blog - Yahoo! Sports Read, he needs a new contract, He will expect to be the highest paid linebacker on the team. And if you think he's gonna be happy with "rotating" in and out with brad jones you need to get your head checked out by a doctor. Merriman will be a sandiego charger by the end of the year, cause no one wants to pay a washed up alcoholic steroid user big NFL money. not to mention he is a bad football player as of right now, until he proves that he has his strength back.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like Merriman is available via trade according to the following report. It also states that the Chargers were asking a lot for him on draft day. The Saints were interested in getting him but the Chargers wanted nothing less than a 1st round pick. I wonder how much lower San Diego is willing to go if they decide to get rid of him.

Shawne Merriman was and is available for trade | ProFootballTalk.com

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like Merriman is available via trade according to the following report. It also states that the Chargers were asking a lot for him on draft day. The Saints were interested in getting him but the Chargers wanted nothing less than a 1st round pick. I wonder how much lower San Diego is willing to go if they decide to get rid of him.

Shawne Merriman was and is available for trade | ProFootballTalk.com
I would say the guy is worth the 32nd pick, as long as he's healthy.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think what the article meant is that the Chargers were asking for a 1st round pick no matter who was interested. Would Merriman be worth the 23rd pick if we were trying to get him? IMO I think it'd be a horrible trade.

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not even close. I just watched NFL Live. They said the Chargers were asking for a 2nd rd pick for Merriman. Look where that got them..... Teams obviously think even a 2nd rd pick is too expensive for Merriman. Thats harsh.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys wouldnt give up a 2nd rounder for Merriman? I think I would...
Anyone who wouldn't is absolutely crazy.
This guy was the NFL Sack leader a few years ago.
Last year he was coming off the torn ACL and most players take a year to get back full speed. This is that year.

To get a guy that is that proven as a sackmaster, who is a perfect compliment to Clay, for a 2nd rounder? Shoot, I'd throw in some money myself to make that happen.

I don't buy the report that says that. That's bogus. Who would leak that?
If the Chargers were to leak that, it would be a ploy for negotiating. Still, I think that's an internet rumor that they're shopping him for a 2nd rounder.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Proven sackmaster when he was on roids. He hasn't been the same since. If he could be had for super cheap, I wouldn't mind having him as a veteran presence, but to be honest, I think Brad Jones is going to improve. He'll have a second year under the system and all offseason to train as if he's going to be the starter. Plus we just drafted a couple of pass rushers as well, so I don't know that we need to blow any higher round draft picks on Merriman.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Merriman was coming off serious surgury, where you won't be the same the first year back, it just doesnt happen like that.. He's still a very young guy at 26 and a great talent. Anyone who wouldnt do it for a second is crazy... I like brad jones, don't get me wrong, but he's not at the same level as merriman...