Matt Flynn

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get that, but a system QB can flourish in a system right? I mean, our passing attack is a system. I'm not talking about making him a star, but the last game proves that QBs can be somewhat productive in this system.
No matter how you slice it, he has to make those throws at TT right? Flynn beat out Brohm so why can't Harrel be the next Flynn? It's not as crazy as it sounds.

It's possible, but what you have to look at is the type of system. At TT, they play a spread 4 wide almost every set from the shotgun. Almost all of the guys they turn out play under 10% of their snaps under center. Throwing motions are usually different and not pro style due to the nature of the shotgun and drop, and historically have huge arms but brutal accuracy.

Perfect case is Kliff Kingsbury. He was a beast in college but a victim of the system at the pro level. I have no faith in Harrell because of the nature of the system he played in. If they made great QB's then TT would drop a 1st rounder every 3 years.

I would love for him to be a diamond in the rough, but it isn't gonna happen.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
on Flynns mind today - "Hmm maybe I should talk to TT about sending me to Miami. I would love to hang out with lebron."

"What kind of cars should I buy? Lambo? Ferrari?"

"I really hope they dont ship me off to Carolina or Seattle."

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if you were going to look at history in the NFL as far as recent traded QBs that would fall in the limited tape you would look to Schaub and Hasselbeck.

Schaub went to houston for 2 2nd round picks and swapped 1st round picks. Hasselbeck went to Seattle for their first and seventh-round draft picks, to the Seahawks for their first and third-round draft picks.

Fair comparison?

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
It's possible, but what you have to look at is the type of system. At TT, they play a spread 4 wide almost every set from the shotgun. Almost all of the guys they turn out play under 10% of their snaps under center. Throwing motions are usually different and not pro style due to the nature of the shotgun and drop, and historically have huge arms but brutal accuracy.

Perfect case is Kliff Kingsbury. He was a beast in college but a victim of the system at the pro level. I have no faith in Harrell because of the nature of the system he played in. If they made great QB's then TT would drop a 1st rounder every 3 years.

I'll concede you know more about him in the college ranks. I just figure a winner is a winner. They find a way to get it done. There are always negatives and positives on each player, where they're from, physical attributes and so on. So he played in that system, that doesn't mathematically eliminate him from being good. Plus he's won, he obviously has some talent, and we have the best QB coach in the game right now.
I write with my right hand, but I don't think I'd have alot of trouble signing my name on a check for a million if I had to use my left hand right?

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score

AND, Denver churned out HOF running backs year after year, it was thought is was the Zone Blocking Scheme, now we're finding out that the ZBS isn't as easy as we all thought.
It's not crazy to figure that we can churn out good QBs with our system. I have alot of faith in MM. I'm not saying he's the next Matt Flynn but they like him enough to keep him around, I guess time will tell.
But I wouldn't be afraid to bet a few bucks on him.

Cheesehead Brittany

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matt Flynn Traded

So i figure if Ted Thompson was to trade Matt Flynn where would he go?

I think it would be an AFC team so that he wouldnt really play against us that often, or possibly Carolina.

Thoughts? :)

lancer84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chiefs! I think they'd be a great team for him to goto....I saw somewhere that they're not too impressed with Cassel anymore...plus! (i highly doubt) but we could make a deal for McCluster

packfan52

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep him. Hell get better. Yeh, he was thrown into a crappy situation but he did better than most.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why the chiefs? i thought matt cassell made the playoffs

I think the Chiefs will keep playing Cassel. I don't think they are ready to admit they were wrong in bring him to KC just yet.

I think there is a real possibility Flynn will get traded. Just like Mike Holmgren & Ron Wolf, MM & TT are a QB factory.

I can see the Titans being interested, the Dolphins, Raiders, Sea-hawks & Cardinals.

Teams that wont be interested but should be are the Vikings and Bills. But since their last Packers QB's didn't work out so well there is no way they make the move.

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A 49er fan who is a friend of mine offered their #1, the Golden Gate Bridge and an evening with his ex wife for him.

I was ok with the first two, but the third part...well if he would exchange that for a six pack of Schlitz, now we would be talking.

His ex looks like B.J Raji....not a pretty thought.

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am glad we didnt draft McCluster in hindsight. All he is to me is a gadget player who doesnt really have an NFL body. I think Arizona, SF, Miami, Carolina, or Buffalo. They get a guy who is smart and a winner (at LSU) and give him an opportunity to battle for a starting position... He beat out Brohm when Brohm was a "shoe-in" for second string. Good QB with a brain, cant beat it.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah flynn would fit in well with harbough and his offense, from what I've heard, don't know his offense enough to say on my own. Maybe Holmgren would want him if they don't want to go the mccoy direction. SF def seems like the most logical choice to me though, they are a good team so they should not be in the Luck running next year so a semi-proven taughted back-up might be the way to go just like the texans and schaub a few years back.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if a team who's looking for a "QB of the future" such as the Panthers might decide spending a high-ish pick on Flynn is less risky than reaching on Cam Newton. I think it is.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if we don't trade him, ....decide to keep him as our backup? Wouldn't be a bad idea, the problem would be if Flynn pushed to be starter and fueled up a qb controversy.

If trade, there is still plenty of teams that still need qbs. Consider Cleveland, they could do with a solid qb.

Whatever we do, I just hope they have the sense NOT to trade him within the division. I'm not feelin Flynn in Purple at all. It makes me sick to think if it!

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Did you guys see the numbers Cassel put up this year? He ain't going anywhere.

3,116 yards, 27 TD's and just 7 INT's. Completion percentage is only 58. That could come up. But other than that I see no reason Cassel would be in any danger of losing his job.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I'm starting to believe we don't really know how tested Flynn truly is.

When he took over for Rodgers in the Lions game, his interception in the red zone helped Detroit beat us, and after the New England game all I heard is how he could be a starter for us (Over Rodgers? NO WAY) but suppose the kid does go to San Francisco, Arizona, or even Tennessee and has to deal with a bad O-Line. Would we still be thinking he's the best thing as a back up?

I like the kid, but I'm telling you, I don't think we really can judge him yet. Hell the 49er fans are STILL trying to defend their bust Alex Smith after 6 years of blown games. I say give Flynn one whole season as a starter at some other team before we know how he truly is.

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
KC is not trading for him, dunno why that's a question. They have a really good thing going right now with their awesome running game and Cassel who does more than enough to win. He really just choked pretty bad in the playoffs, which is not good at all, but still its too early to say nothing good can come of him.

I have to say though, I don't understand why people think the Bills need to rush to get a new QB. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Fitzpatrick did a lot of good things this year and stepped up well... and that's on the F-ing Bills. Am I missing something?

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts