Let Greg Jennings walk...

L

Lunchboxer

Are you nuts. Greg Jennings is going to be the Next #1 WR. He will be a beast for years to come hopefuly.

We got great depth at WR now.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's just dial up the thread on Finley when he was up for a new contract. He will want toooooooooo much money, we don't need him, etc. How'd that turn out???:whistling:

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's just dial up the thread on Finley when he was up for a new contract. He will want toooooooooo much money, we don't need him, etc. How'd that turn out???:whistling:

Clearly his agent saw a market that wasn't appealing. So a 2 yr deal was appealing.

And we won a SB without him and again the offense got better without him in 2010.

He isn't a key piece of the puzzle, more like a shiny hood ornament. It's nice to have but we keep on trucking with or without him.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you nuts. Greg Jennings is going to be the Next #1 WR. He will be a beast for years to come hopefuly.

We got great depth at WR now.

Is he the #1 or is Nelson? I'm curious to see who has a better season next year with Nelson locked into a deal and Jennings in a contract year.

yallniggascheesewiz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I love the guy. But he will be 30 when the 2013 season starts. And i think we have the depth at WR to let him walk. I'd prefer to sacrifice him over BJ or Mathews, an area where depth is very limited. Either way there will be some tough decisions to be made in the next few seasons, as much as you would like, you can't keep everybody."- Mozhino

Players like Greg Jennings don't slow down at 30. He is a star in this league and leader/core member of the Packers. He is by no means a selfish man, but I think he will get paid about the same. Green Bay could stand to lose Raji vs. Jennings.

Besides Greg Jennings is more of a slot, z, or off the line receiver. He can play both quite well, but his skills aren't that of a true #1 receiver or "x" receiver. Jordy Nelson fits the "x" role well due to his size, strength, and speed. Green Bay wants to throw the ball to exploit mismatches and they need players to fit the roles in their scheme. Just like Finley is "y" receiver they all have a specific role, and when you lose that role you lose a part of your offense. Can Randall Cobb fill his role? He could but he really fits the role as "z" receiver better than Jennings and Nelson.

Green Bay has a great receiving core. They need to keep it together as long as they can, and I really believe he will be a Packer for life.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
"I love the guy. But he will be 30 when the 2013 season starts. And i think we have the depth at WR to let him walk. I'd prefer to sacrifice him over BJ or Mathews, an area where depth is very limited. Either way there will be some tough decisions to be made in the next few seasons, as much as you would like, you can't keep everybody."- Mozhino

Players like Greg Jennings don't slow down at 30. He is a star in this league and leader/core member of the Packers. He is by no means a selfish man, but I think he will get paid about the same. Green Bay could stand to lose Raji vs. Jennings.

Besides Greg Jennings is more of a slot, z, or off the line receiver. He can play both quite well, but his skills aren't that of a true #1 receiver or "x" receiver. Jordy Nelson fits the "x" role well due to his size, strength, and speed. Green Bay wants to throw the ball to exploit mismatches and they need players to fit the roles in their scheme. Just like Finley is "y" receiver they all have a specific role, and when you lose that role you lose a part of your offense. Can Randall Cobb fill his role? He could but he really fits the role as "z" receiver better than Jennings and Nelson.

Green Bay has a great receiving core. They need to keep it together as long as they can, and I really believe he will be a Packer for life.

If by "the same" you mean roughly 6 mil a year you may be right. If you mean a 60 mil contract you're out of your skull. Ted doesn't overpay and Jennings won't ask that kind of money. I simply remind you that megatron is getting his pay OVER THE SPACE OF 9 YEARS. Quite frankley I don't know if I want Jennings putzing around the field at near 40.

Be it that he is a glorified, buffed up reciever, Finley is a TE as listed on our roster.

yallniggascheesewiz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If by "the same" you mean roughly 6 mil a year you may be right. If you mean a 60 mil contract you're out of your skull.

Be it that he is a glorified, buffed up reciever, Finley is a TE as listed on our roster.

Yes I was referring to his current pay. Calvin Johnson is a franchise player, Greg Jennings is not. Well like I said before it is the role in the offense that counts. Not the listed position on the depth chart or roster. Finley is more of a tight end than a receiver, he's not "that" fast or quick. He fits into the "x" position more because of his size which creates mismatches on smaller CBs at the line playing man/press. He plays more TE than he does WR because his skills are that of a TE who can run in space, so they get him matched up with safties, linebackers, and small CBs to exploit the defense. None of Green Bay's "receivers" can fill that role.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score

Yes I was referring to his current pay. Calvin Johnson is a franchise player, Greg Jennings is not. Well like I said before it is the role in the offense that counts. Not the listed position on the depth chart or roster. Finley is more of a tight end than a receiver, he's not "that" fast or quick. He fits into the "x" position more because of his size which creates mismatches on smaller CBs at the line playing man/press. He plays more TE than he does WR because his skills are that of a TE who can run in space, so they get him matched up with safties, linebackers, and small CBs to exploit the defense. None of Green Bay's "receivers" can fill that role.
Is Finley x or y? You listed him as both (if memory serves you were correct the first time). I agree that he is more suited for the role we have him in. Nelson probably has the height to do it, but is MUCH more valuable elsewhere as you have pointed out.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's not too many teams that I believe Jennings would want to go if the Packers don't re-sign him(which I think they will). The other team may or may not be a playoff team then you have to look at how good their QB. Some players will give a "home town discount" to stay w/the team as long as its not drastic

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe the savings could be used to lower ticket prices.

Not a chance. Ticket prices for most teams and most games are severely undervalued as it is, especially for the Packers and their 90,000+ person waiting list.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well, we proved we didn't need him, and he ultimately settled for a one year "Prove it" contract with the option for a second year. That proves he overvalued himself and the market wasn't there for him.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
will the numbers reflect that next season?

More than likely... but I think Jennings passes the "eye test" better than Nelson. Jennings has outstanding hands and racks up a ton of YAC. Plus, Jennings injury last year proved to be extremely costly. The Packers lost two games with Jennings out injured/hobbled.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts