Let Greg Jennings walk...

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's great, but he wont get Fitzgerald, let alone Johnson-esq contract. He'll get a good deal, but wont be 100-mill deal. Rodgers will, but Jennings does NOT have the same leverage that those two have

OP
OP
M

Mozhino

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Megatron deal highlights the one dimensional road the Lions have adopted, their offence will be Stafford throwing it up to Calvin Johnson.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's great, but he wont get Fitzgerald, let alone Johnson-esq contract. He'll get a good deal, but wont be 100-mill deal. Rodgers will, but Jennings does NOT have the same leverage that those two have

100% correct... Johnson's cap number was going to be between $22M - $27M without the deal

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know this sounds a little harsh. But in light of what Calvin Johnson just made, if Jennings is looking for a monster deal, or even anything over $10million a season, I say let him walk. We have a lot of other core players becoming free agents like Raji, Lang, Mathews, Rogers, Finely again, in the next couple of seasons and we can't afford everyone. On top of that we have Jordy Nelson who will want paying again soon if he has another great season.

I don't get it. You've launched a topic to announce what you think Jennings isn't worth before the matter has even come up for serious negotiation.

You've come up with a nice straw man for everyone to comment on, though...

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I don't get it. You've launched a topic to announce what you think Jennings isn't worth before the matter has even come up for serious negotiation.

You've come up with a nice straw man for everyone to comment on, though...

Tom Silverstein of JSOnline just wrote about it today. I posted the link on page one. It's a reasonable thing to discuss, in my opinion. At this point, he doesn't feel Jennings will be back if he demands anything close to his current market value. That doesn't mean he will get Calvin Johnson money, but that doesn't change the initial opinion of it still being too much for the Packers. It may not happen, sure, but it's an interesting thing to ponder. My guess is it will largely depend on the performance and health or our current receivers. With all the big contracts coming up in the next 1-3 years, we're going to lose at least one big time player. Who knows who it will be though. Cullin Jenkins won't be the last . . .

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if their is a bigger waste of money in the nfl than spending huge money on a WR.

Spending huge money on a running back?

Edit- I didn't see until later on that someone else replied with the same thing.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spending huge money on a running back?

Edit- I didn't see until later on that someone else replied with the same thing.
what are you talking about? We won't win anything until we get a big name underperforming overpaid running back. It's the way to send this team straight to the SB!

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aside from Andre and Larry, I don't think any other receiver can ask for this kind of extension and even then Larry is only making $15 mil while Andre is playing for $9 mil. I don't think Greg tops a 4 yr $48 mil deal.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aside from Andre and Larry, I don't think any other receiver can ask for this kind of extension and even then Larry is only making $15 mil while Andre is playing for $9 mil. I don't think Greg tops a 4 yr $48 mil deal.

Even with that amount I question if the money would be better spent elsewhere

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know this sounds a little harsh. But in light of what Calvin Johnson just made, if Jennings is looking for a monster deal, or even anything over $10million a season, I say let him walk. We have a lot of other core players becoming free agents like Raji, Lang, Mathews, Rogers, Finely again, in the next couple of seasons and we can't afford everyone. On top of that we have Jordy Nelson who will want paying again soon if he has another great season.
I think Jennings knows he's not going to get a contract like that. Green Bay Packers doesn't hand out contracts like that. Besides that Jennings knows that we have a chance for another SB championship w/the team we have. We've got one of the best offenses & the best WR core in the NFL. Work on our D & we're there.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Jennings knows he's not going to get a contract like that. Green Bay Packers doesn't hand out contracts like that. Besides that Jennings knows that we have a chance for another SB championship w/the team we have. We've got one of the best offenses & the best WR core in the NFL. Work on our D & we're there.

I don't know if you were talking about just WR but Green Bay gave Favre a 100 million contract and they will give Rodgers an even bigger one.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if you were talking about just WR but Green Bay gave Favre a 100 million contract and they will give Rodgers an even bigger one.
I didn't know they gave Favre a huge contract like that. When Brees signs his deal he'll be making at least 18-20M a year so GB will have to at least double Rodgers yearly salary as he currently makes 8M. He deserves to be in the top 5 if not top3 highest paid QBs in the league

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are studies out there that suggest long term contracts result in worse performance, so I agree with the idea that huge money should not be wasted on players. Quarterbacks being the sole exception. Maybe the savings could be used to lower ticket prices.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers let Jennings walk, I would have to call into question their sanity. Not only is Jennings a phenomenal talent, one of our top (if not the top) receivers, the chemistry he has with Rodgers is undeniable. We are a team that relies on the pass as our life's blood. Therefore our core receivers is a formula that should not be messed with. Jennings play style fits this team like a glove. He's also a huge inspiration on the field and in the locker room. We need Jennings. As for the Johnson comparison, when you have a player on your team with a talent level of that magnitude, you kind of have to do whatever you have to do to keep him. If that means paying him QB bucks, then by all means, get it done. The problem the Lions are going to run into in the future is the cap. There are 51 other guys on the roster to consider, including a QB, you can't have one player eating up the cap. Of course this is taking into consideration that there is a cap, but you kind of have to go into this with the mentality that there is eventually going to be a cap and you need to plan for it now. AnyPack, Johnson's salary is the Lion's problem, not the Packers. The Packers manage their roster very well and I remain empathetic that it is a roster that needs to have Greg Jennings's name on it carved in freakin stone.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
TBH I think Nelson may have been pulling a Hawk. Do your best during contract year, then slack. As for Johnson, its for 9 years. If it was even it would only be roughly 6mil a year. Also, who else do the lions through to?

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TBH I think Nelson may have been pulling a Hawk. Do your best during contract year, then slack. As for Johnson, its for 9 years. If it was even it would only be roughly 6mil a year. Also, who else do the lions through to?

I don't worry about that so much as CBs learning to cover Nelson more effectively after a year of him being off the radar. Nelson is going to get more attention and I think his numbers are going to drop off, but hopefully that means other receivers will benefit. In addition to Jennings, whom defenses will have to key on, I have high hopes that Randall Cobb could have a break-out year as our third receiver. With Nelson and Jennings grabbing all the attention, I could see Cobb getting 10 TDs or more.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Jennings will be able to resigned for a fair amount of money. He has in the past because he's willing to do so.

If we are indeed hanging on to Driver this year, at least one of our WR prospects will be going bye bye so we'll definitely need to hang onto Jennings.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
TBH I think Nelson may have been pulling a Hawk. Do your best during contract year, then slack. ]

Nelson was the top receiver of the game with 9 receptions for 140 yards (both career highs) in Super Bowl XLV against the Steelers on February 6, 2011

Jordy Nelson (2008-2012) in his 4th season with the Packer (2011) was #1 in Pass receiving statistics in 2011.

In 2010 , his 3rd year with Packers, Nelson had 45 pass receptions for 528 yards

Donald Driver (1999-2012) in his 4th year (2002) with the Packers Driver's was 1st in Packer pass receiving statistics. In 2002 Driver had 70 pass receptions for 1,064 yards.

Driver in 2001, in his 3rd year with the Packers had but 13 pass receptions for 167 yards

Nelson finished the 2011-12 regular season with career highs in touchdowns (15), receptions (68), and receiving yards (1,263). season,
Nelson signed a three year, $13.35 million contract extension on October 11th, 2011. Nelson signed his contract just after the 5 th game of 2011 season.

Hawk's performance for Packer 32th rated defense in the NFL in 2011; that has nothing to do with
how Jordy Nelson will perform in 2012 under his new contract he signed on August 11, 2012

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings is not just another receiver, he commands deep respect. I think we saw what life would be without him in the playoff game vs the Giants. He didn't look 100 % to me and that hurt the offense I thought (along with the turnovers of course).

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Jaybadger82, I don’t see this issue as a “straw man” at all. That term is usually used when someone misinterprets another’s argument in order to contradict it. But the OP brought up this subject so it wasn’t in response to anyone. Not only that, but this is a relevant issue now since Jennings’ deal expires after this season. Thompson’s MO has been to extend players he wants to keep during the last year of their deal. So IMO Mozhino brought up a legit issue particularly as he posted he thinks the Packers should let Jennings walk, if he “is looking for a monster deal” and defined those parameters as “anything over $10M a season”.

Of course I don’t think Jennings should be extended at any price – and I’ll bet even those whose posts could be interpreted that way don’t mean at any price. While I agree huge money spent on WRs is often wasted I also think Jennings is very important to the Packers and the Packers rely on the quality of their WR corp as much or more than any other team. And I don’t worry about his character as far as sloughing off after signing a big deal. BTW, I don’t have that worry about Nelson either. I don’t think it was a coincidence the Packers passing offense wasn’t in sync vs. the Chiefs last season because Jennings missed that game. Yes, the problem of dropped passes cropped up again in that game but I do think it showed how important the attention defenses have to pay to Jennings is to Nelson’s success. That and the attention paid to Finley.

While I think Mozhino raises a relevant and timely issue I disagree about his $10M/season “limit”. My guess is that’s the ballpark of the deal they’ll get done. And as with all contracts, it’s the guaranteed money and not the salaries at the end of the deal that are most important. As far as I know, the only significant deals that are up this year are Jennings, Lang, and LS Goode. I’m a little surprised at McCarthy’s recent inference that both Clifton and Driver will be returning this year. I hope he meant after both re-do their deals because together they take up more than $10M of cap space this season. Jennings is much more important to the team than either IMO (just because of age) and I’d rather see both gone and a deal that uses a lot of this year’s cap space on Jennings and Lang and Goode. That would still leave future cap space available to extend Rodgers, Matthews, and Raji. Also, Jennings' current deal counts over $7M on the cap this year anyway so if they tear up that deal, they could add another $7M on this years' cap ($14M total cap space on Jennings in 2012) and still have $3M left over if Driver and Clifton are released. Those numbers are just an example, my point is they could load up Jennings deal with signing bonus money in 2012 lessening the cap hit in future years. Speaking of the cap Kitten, what did you mean by: “Of course this is taking into consideration that there is a cap, but you kind of have to go into this with the mentality that there is eventually going to be a cap and you need to plan for it now.” Of course there is a cap in place now and going forward.

I think we’ll find out relatively early this season how Thompson views Jennings’ value to the team. If they don’t get a deal done in-season that doesn’t mean Jennings is gone as they could still use the tag or let him explore UFA and come back with an offer. But that’s unlikely IMO: If Thompson values Jennings, they’ll get a deal done before the season is over.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dunno, Jack. In the legal community I work in, we toss around the phrase "straw man" whenever someone raises a somewhat artificial conflict or question. This may not precisely fit the definition offered by Webster's New American Dictionary of Rhetorical Terminology, but I think this usage is widely recognized (straw man = artificial conflict). Whatever the case, I suppose you're right about Jenning's contract being a legitimate impending concern.

I imagine that the Packers front office is largely preoccupied evaluating FAs and draft prospects right now and, though I could be wrong, I don't think they shift their focus to contract extensions until after the draft.

Before we overreact to the Megatron contract by assuming that Jennings will demand a king's ransom and is gone, let's keep in mind that Mike Wallace (a player that more closely resembles Jennings) can't even garner an offer as a restricted FA. It's all highly speculative at the moment but the title of this thread is very loaded and irresponsible. My general antagonism toward this topic remains at this point.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dunno, Jack. In the legal community I work in, we toss around the phrase "straw man" whenever someone raises a somewhat artificial conflict or question. This may not precisely fit the definition offered by Webster's New American Dictionary of Rhetorical Terminology, but I think this usage is widely recognized (straw man = artificial conflict). Whatever the case, I suppose you're right about Jenning's contract being a legitimate impending concern.

I imagine that the Packers front office is largely preoccupied evaluating FAs and draft prospects right now and, though I could be wrong, I don't think they shift their focus to contract extensions until after the draft.

Before we overreact to the Megatron contract by assuming that Jennings will demand a king's ransom and is gone, let's keep in mind that Mike Wallace (a player that more closely resembles Jennings) can't even garner an offer as a restricted FA. It's all highly speculative at the moment but the title of this thread is very loaded and irresponsible. My general antagonism toward this topic remains at this point.

Well said...it is important to keep in mind that Megatron is clearly a uniquely talented WR in this league and is such an incredible player that he can "command" the kind of money he got from Detroit. Jennings, as good as he is, is clearly not in the Andre Johnson/Larry Fitz/Megatron strata of elite WR's.

He will get well paid, but I have a hard time believing it will be for $10 mil/year. For him to demand "elite" money would mean he is completely unreasonable...and I don't think that's Greg Jennings.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've gotten into the disagreement on here several times with people who have said "Greg Jennings is the best I wouldn't trade him straight up for any other WR in the league."

Ok fine I respect your opinion but if you feel that way why don't you argue for him to be paid like it?

People scream so n so is the best at insert position, but get upset when the player wants to get paid like it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts