Lazard Situation...

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Tonyan was the best TE we had. He came in as a nothing rookie and was fairly productive for us and then had a pretty good injury and came back from it. he wasn't taking a roster spot from anyone that he didn't deserve.

Same with Lewis. He was vital on this Oline, regardless of his pass catching. He may not show up in stats, but he was also here because he served a very good purpose.

Cobb, he was here because he was familiar with Rodgers, no doubt. Biggest knock was age/health. I'm ok with a guy like that being an option because of familiarity when you already have a bunch of no production hoping to develop guys already on the roster that we easily stashed on the PS anywa.. We didn't really need another one of those, we needed to develop the ones we had.

While Cobb didn't make a ton of plays, he did make some important ones. If we'd have had a younger guy that looked ready or like he had the potential to be better i'd have more issues with Cobb getting snaps over him, but we didn't really. The young guys we had that fit that bill were playing a lot when they were available.
It tells you how weak our TE position was with Tonyan being the best we had. He was not good after his injury. He had 53 catches for 470 yards and played in all 17 games. He was pretty much a jersey filler. Not a play maker.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It tells you how weak our TE position was with Tonyan being the best we had. He was not good after his injury. He had 53 catches for 470 yards and played in all 17 games. He was pretty much a jersey filler. Not a play maker.
yeah, our TE's were subpar to say the least. My point was simply, he didn't take a roster spot because he was friends with Rodgers over someone else that deserved it.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point was simply, he didn't take a roster spot because he was friends with Rodgers over someone else that deserved it.

Not like they brought in guys to challenge for these spots. I think there is a zero percent chance of them drafting 2 TEs at the expense of Tonyan or Lewis's position spot if Rodgers was with the team in 2023. If "Well, we can't bring in TEs because if they deserve it over Tonyan/Lewis and we cut them Rodgers will be angry" was at all a consideration then that was a problem. TE/WRs, about 50% were considered Aaron's guys and that 50% wasn't anything special.

Krabs

Reaction score
Not like they brought in guys to challenge for these spots. I think there is a zero percent chance of them drafting 2 TEs at the expense of Tonyan or Lewis's position spot if Rodgers was with the team in 2023. If "Well, we can't bring in TEs because if they deserve it over Tonyan/Lewis and we cut them Rodgers will be angry" was at all a consideration then that was a problem. TE/WRs, about 50% were considered Aaron's guys and that 50% wasn't anything special.
I believe Lewis was on the Packers due to Rodgers. He is not a play maker and his blocking ability went down last season. I'd be surprised if he made any squad besides the Packers last season and won't make any this year. That is, unless Rodgers gets the Jets to sign him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They recently have drafted 2 in the 3rd rounds while both Tonyan and Lewis were on the team, so I'd disagree they weren't trying to upgrade the position.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They recently have drafted 2 in the 3rd rounds while both Tonyan and Lewis were on the team, so I'd disagree they weren't trying to upgrade the position.
Is that why Rodgers didn't want to throw to Deguara

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Malik Taylor....then Lazard...now Cobb.....I'm not gonna be surprised one bit to hear Lewis is going there.

Krabs

Reaction score
Malik Taylor....then Lazard...now Cobb.....I'm not gonna be surprised one bit to hear Lewis is going there.
Lol, Malik Taylor. Lewis is donzo. Great for Lewis and the Packers. Should help with losing and making our draft pick better.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Upgrade is one thing. Challenge for a spot to where they are cut is different. Tonyan was appearing to round into a TE1, but post injury, don't see that happening now.

Bottom line is I just don't think it works well to have a significant chunk of positions tied up by players that are friends with a guy to where it is a detriment to consider replacing them for personal reasons. Right now, 3 of those 4 guys are bodies in the NFL, but for one man, they are all important.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and so it continues...

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Funny, Jets have a bunch of good young WR's. So much so that they traded away Elijah Moore.

Now they're signing old Packer receivers.

Is Rodgers going to be looking for Lazard first and Cobb second, at the expense of his other wideouts?

That would be hilarious.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol, Malik Taylor. Lewis is donzo. Great for Lewis and the Packers. Should help with losing and making our draft pick better.
What?

Lewis, if he signed with the Jets is not going to be a big enough contract to assist in Compensatory due to level of pay I would bet. Lewis needs retained in GB IMO, best person to learn the art of blocking for Musgrave and Kraft and is a veteran presence who what he does do he does arguably still better than any TE in the league, albeit he is not the receiving threat.

Krabs

Reaction score
Funny, Jets have a bunch of good young WR's. So much so that they traded away Elijah Moore.

Is Rodgers going to be looking for Lazard first and Cobb second, at the expense of his other wideouts?

That would be hilarious.
Jake Kumerow is currently a free agent. I'm sure there's room for him too.

Krabs

Reaction score
What?

Lewis, if he signed with the Jets is not going to be a big enough contract to assist in Compensatory due to level of pay I would bet. Lewis needs retained in GB IMO, best person to learn the art of blocking for Musgrave and Kraft and is a veteran presence who what he does do he does arguably still better than any TE in the league, albeit he is not the receiving threat.
I wasn't talking compensatory picks. I just meant that the Jets roster would stink helping next years 1st rounder be higher in the draft. Also, Lewis was the 25th highest graded tight end last year by PFF with an overall grade of 65.6. He had a receiving grade of 51.9, a pass blocking grade of 72.9, and a run blocking grade of 66.6. He is not what he once was and would be a jersey filler at best. If they want him to teach the younger guys then hire him as a coach. Don't waste a roster spot on him.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't talking compensatory picks. I just meant that the Jets roster would stink helping next years 1st rounder be higher in the draft. Also, Lewis was the 25th highest graded tight end last year by PFF with an overall grade of 65.6. He had a receiving grade of 51.9, a pass blocking grade of 72.9, and a run blocking grade of 66.6. He is not what he once was and would be a jersey filler at best. If they want him to teach the younger guys then hire him as a coach. Don't waste a roster spot on him.

Gonna disagree on this one. That man still serves as one of the best and knowledge blockers in the NFL. You wouldn't want him starting over at the expense of Kraft or Musgrave should they be ready - but we will agree to disagree that Lewis has such little value any longer.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Upgrade is one thing. Challenge for a spot to where they are cut is different. Tonyan was appearing to round into a TE1, but post injury, don't see that happening now.

Bottom line is I just don't think it works well to have a significant chunk of positions tied up by players that are friends with a guy to where it is a detriment to consider replacing them for personal reasons. Right now, 3 of those 4 guys are bodies in the NFL, but for one man, they are all important.
well they would have had to get 3 more TE's to push Tonyan down to a point where he would have been cut. He wasn't just on the team because he was Rodgers' friend, just like he's not on the Bears now because Rodgers owns them and gave him a spot. He's earned it. GB brought in people to be better, they just weren't, it wasn't because Rodgers said he's my guy.

Lewis I thought was going to retire 2 years ago already. But he too, performed a function on this team others couldn't in terms of blocking, and we needed it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That would be hilarious.
I don't think Cobb is there for anything more than that veteran presence, his familiarity with working with Rodgers and getting others up to speed and to serve a situational limited role vet WR for the Jets. My bet is he's hardly on the field if he's even on the final roster after camp.

Lazard was one of the top 5, top 3 in some preseason publications, WR free agents this year. He was going somewhere with the plan on being used and catching passes. He'll probably have similar numbers as he had here.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers called Cobb a guy he could win with. Yet he couldnt when it counted in Green Bay. For a team that was supposedly a QB away they sure are picking up a lot of retreads.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers called Cobb a guy he could win with. Yet he couldnt when it counted in Green Bay. For a team that was supposedly a QB away they sure are picking up a lot of retreads.

Eh to be fair Cobb is the first tire that has had to be retreaded. Lazard is not a retread, he was to many a Top 5 free agent WR given he is still relatively young and has skillsets not all WRs have when it comes to blocking.

Krabs

Reaction score
Gonna disagree on this one. That man still serves as one of the best and knowledge blockers in the NFL. You wouldn't want him starting over at the expense of Kraft or Musgrave should they be ready - but we will agree to disagree that Lewis has such little value any longer.
Fair enough, you will not convince me Lewis deserved a roster spot last season or in the future. I will not convince you otherwise. The world will continue to rotate.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
One thing about the Jets bringing in "Rodgers guys" that I wonder about, is how the other players feel. Obviously, they take a roster spot of someone else, as well as snaps. While I do think Cobb still has gas in his tank, the Jets have at least 3 if not more better WR's than Cobb. So did this improve their team or just done to placate Rodgers?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing about the Jets bringing in "Rodgers guys" that I wonder about, is how the other players feel. Obviously, they take a roster spot of someone else, as well as snaps. While I do think Cobb still has gas in his tank, the Jets have at least 3 if not more better WR's than Cobb. So did this improve their team or just done to placate Rodgers?
Can't be good for team morale if one of the displaced guys was well liked.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Cobb was brought in to help in the way of transition new players to QB and QB to new players. 1st, we have always said, veteran presence is big with young guys. Cobb is that. he's exactly that. He's also friends with Rodgers. If a team without Aaron had a bunch of young guys and said they were bringing in Cobb in because he could serve a limited role as a WR situationally and also help the young guys learn to watch film, how to handle the day to day, set an example, we wouldn't bat an eye.

If he "displaces" anybody it's going to be a bottom of the roster guy that likely wouldn't play anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts