Latest Mock...this is far too good to occur

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers might benefit from having the fifth year option with another first round pick down the road as well.

I think the mind of Gute is hoping a few are on his board at #12, he can move a few (pick up a 3rd maybe) and keep two picks in the 5th year option first round. Sense I got from the interviews I've seen.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the mind of Gute is hoping a few are on his board at #12, he can move a few (pick up a 3rd maybe) and keep two picks in the 5th year option first round. Sense I got from the interviews I've seen.

I wouldn't mind the Packers moving back some spots from #12 to pick up an extra pick if there are several players in the top tier left at positions of need.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think many are talking about the Packers trading back from #12, mainly because of what Gute did last year in his first draft. How would people feel about trading up to the 4th or 5th pick by combining the #12 with the #30? Neither the Raiders or the Bucs are probably looking at a QB, so they might be willing to get 2 picks for 1. Although the Raiders already have 3 1st rounders, so not sure they would want to do it.

Personally, I prefer keeping the 2 first rounders and I am thinking that the group from 4-12 won't have enough separation to warrant giving up both of our picks. As well as the fact that I think we can find a quality TE, S or OL at #30. However if for some odd reason Bosa or some other top guy the Packers really love was sitting there at 4, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, say someone with a crystal ball tells you GB is involved in 1 trade at some point in Rounds 1 - 3 what is it...my answer would be we traded in order to get back into the 2nd due to the depth of this draft at certain positions. While trading from #12 to say #15 is pleasing to the mind and gaining an extra pick without sacrificing quality of availability most likely...I just don't see it playing out that way with how the QB musical chairs is seemingly falling.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think many are talking about the Packers trading back from #12, mainly because of what Gute did last year in his first draft. How would people feel about trading up to the 4th or 5th pick by combining the #12 with the #30? Neither the Raiders or the Bucs are probably looking at a QB, so they might be willing to get 2 picks for 1. Although the Raiders already have 3 1st rounders, so not sure they would want to do it.

Personally, I prefer keeping the 2 first rounders and I am thinking that the group from 4-12 won't have enough separation to warrant giving up both of our picks. As well as the fact that I think we can find a quality TE, S or OL at #30. However if for some odd reason Bosa or some other top guy the Packers really love was sitting there at 4, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

I prefer the Packers to hold on to their picks and maybe acquire another extra pick by moving back a bit if there are several players in the remaining top tier left fitting a positional need.

Reaction score
As I've mentioned in another thread I highly doubt the Packers would receive a top 50 pick in return moving back five spots from #12 though.
I would obviously expect pairing with an early third day selection and or a future pick

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Irv Smith at 44 is the only likely part of that scenario.
We really can’t predict how the draft will shake out. As fans we think 2-3 TEs could go in the first, but realistically you may not see any TE go in the first. The beauty of the draft is that anything can happen.

green&goldsoul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
12th traded to Washington for 15th & 77th
15th traded to NYG for 17th & 133rd
30th traded to Tampa Bay for 39 & 108th
13 total picks in 2019 Draft

17th pick: Noah Fant TE Iowa
39th pick: Dalton Risner G KSU
44th pick: Parris Campbell WR OSU
76th pick: Amani Hooker S Iowa
77th pick: Isaiah Buggs DT Bama
108th pick: Lonnie Johnson Jr. CB UK
115th pick: Dakota Allen ILB TTU
119th pick: Mike Weber RB OSU
133rd pick: Isaiah Prince OL OSU
151st pick: Corbin Kaufasi DE BYU
186th pick: Mecole Hardman WR UGA
196th pick: Khalil Hodge LB Buff
228th pick: Sutton Smith EDGE NIU

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really think that many trades are going to happen and that we'll take 13 guys?

I don't even think we keep the 10 picks we have.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Agree, I think Gutes move last year in the first round has everyone shooting for the stars. While I wouldn't mind moving back, if THE guy the Packers want isn't there at #12 or #30, I will take quality over quantity once you start hitting the 9-10 mark in number of drafted rookies.

green&goldsoul

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Lol, no. Just did it for the sake of argument. Should use our 12th and one fourth round and get Quennin Williams or Devin White. But Idk much about Gutz mindset.

green&goldsoul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay serious question Packers fans. We know this draft isn't the norm. No top tier quarterbacks and edge rusher heavy. But I can't remember in past years there not being a cornerback taken in the top 10 picks. Greedy Williams (LSU) is a top 10 corner, but the edge rushers are pushing him out of that spot. Given Kevin Kings injury history, Greedy will be available at 12. Should the Packers take him???

Reaction score
While I absolutely would like to trade back day 1 if our top several choices are gone, I’d prefer to use that capital to move back up for 2 true blue chip players so we’re not guessing if it’s Josh Jones version 2.
I’d go from ten to eleven selections, then back to 9 or 10 picks.

Then I’d package that #76 and #75 to get into an earlier position (top 50 again).
OR hold #76 and package #30 + #75 to get back into the top 22 a second time.
Ideally I’d like to see us finish with 8-9 guys tops, but better graded players.

#15, #21, #44, #76, #114, #118, etc..
Or..
#15, #30, #44, #49, #114, #118 etc..

Last edited:

morango

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No to Irv Smith. At #30 or #44. IMO with his traits, he is an H-back. More like a pass catching fullback than a true TE.

He is a winner, though.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
No to Irv Smith. At #30 or #44. IMO with his traits, he is an H-back. More like a pass catching fullback than a true TE.

He is a winner, though.

Interestingly, you'd be hard pressed to find any system in the league that values a good H Back as much as Shanahan/Lafleur's.

morango

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I absolutely would like to trade back day 1 if our top several choices are gone, I’d prefer to use that capital to move back up for 2 true blue chip players so we’re not guessing if it’s Josh Jones version 2.
I’d go from ten to eleven selections, then back to 9 or 10 picks.

Then I’d package that #76 and #75 to get into an earlier position (top 50 again).
OR hold #76 and package #30 + #75 to get back into the top 22 a second time.
Ideally I’d like to see us finish with 8-9 guys tops, but better graded players.

#15, #21, #44, #76, #114, #118, etc..
Or..
#15, #30, #44, #49, #114, #118 etc..

I would not mind to see Gute again manufacture some draft capital for the following year 2020. If the deal provides positive value and makes sense, it is nice to go into a draft with additional assets from the start.

Example, let’s say instead of including a mid 3rd rounder in this years 2019 draft, see if a team offers (as part of a trade up package) a significantly higher 2nd round pick in the following years 2020 draft.

Granted this a pretty stacked draft, so Gute would really have to be sure of it.

Just putting it out there. We don’t necessarily need to add WAY more quantity in this years draft, instead we could pay some of that draft capital forward.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
see if a team offers (as part of a trade up package) a significantly higher 2nd round pick in the following years 2020 draft.

As we found out this year with the future (2019) 1st rounder we acquired from the Saints last year, you have no assurances as to if that 2020 2nd round pick will be #33 or #64

Reaction score
I would not mind to see Gute again manufacture some draft capital for the following year 2020. If the deal provides positive value and makes sense, it is nice to go into a draft with additional assets from the start.

Example, let’s say instead of including a mid 3rd rounder in this years 2019 draft, see if a team offers a significantly higher 2nd round pick in the following years 2020 draft.

Granted this a pretty stacked draft, so Gute would really have to be sure of it.

Just putting it out there. We don’t necessarily need to add WAY more quantity in this years draft, instead we could pay some of that draft capital forward.
That’s a good idea.
Although there’s an obvious risk is we pick at the end of the round like we did with the NO trade. But absolutely.

If they sweetened it so we had some type of benefit this season. Their future 2020 Second Round selection plus their 2019 5th (153) for our 2019 6th (194).

That would give us two 5th rounders instead of two 6th rounders. Using that by Trading a 153 + 185 gets you three selections middle of the 4th round and still leaves us a 5th and 7th.
#15, #30, #44, #75, #112, #118, #125, #150, #226 (2020 2nd round selection)

There always seems to be a honey hole there for solid developing OL/LB/RB/TE etc.. smack dab in the middle of the draft. Go ahead, pick your 3

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol, no. Just did it for the sake of argument. Should use our 12th and one fourth round and get Quennin Williams or Devin White. But Idk much about Gutz mindset.

If 12 and a 4th gets us Williams or White I'd jump all over it but I doubt that would happen. They would probably have to fall to at least #10 for the numbers to work and they might both be gone by #5.

All in all I'd prefer the method that OldSchool has been harping on (I use harping with the utmost respect. :D) We have the ammunition to load up in the front part of the draft I say we do it. Move down several spots from 12 and use the capital gained to move up from 30 (15/23?) . I'd like to leave our 44 and 75 in place with the option to maybe use one of our 4th rounders to move up and grab someone who falls withing range of those picks. If not try using one of them and a later pick or two to move back up into the third round.

Obviously it all depends on who falls into place and I think everyone realizes that. If the right guy falls to within striking distance I'd be willing to move any picks from 3 on down but I would like to come away with at least those 3 picks in the top 44.

Its tempting to say that in a normal year you only get 1 first round pick anyway so why not trade 12 and 30 to go up and get someone like Bosa, Allen or Williams at #5 if one should happen to slip, which could very well happen (just using the numbers from the chart, that is assuming TB would make the trade. Might even have to throw in a late round pick to sweeten the deal.) But like I have always maintained we are sitting in very good position to add some play makers at a few spots and I'd just as soon do that. If it does happen though I won't be throwing bricks at the TV.

Members online