Just How Good Does the Defense Need to Be?

M

Mr Pickle

thxjack is full of a lot of 'ifs'...... what about ands and buts???? C'mon bring in capt. Jack!

M

Mr Pickle

I love you man! Does Perry actually even resemble 'the answer'? Yea, I really suffered through that season and title... Class, **** me. The only class you can associate with is lower. You are a typical packer sheep fan... you probably wear one of those packer hats has lights on it... Are you the guy we see in the stands with his shirt off, weighing 300 lbs., with GO PACK stickers over your breasts? Sounds to me like you have a pickle fetish???? Or pickle envy???

iffffffffffffffffff

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First you have to determine what a top 10 defense is. Do you go by the NFL's stats? Which is based solely on yards? Or do you go by points? Which is more meaningful? While the Packers may have been 32nd in defense according to the NFL, they were 19th in points given up.
And no. 1 in points differential, I think. The defense has to either stop the other team with 3 and outs; or they need to keep getting the turnovers. I'd like to see the former, but will accept the latter.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Defense needs to improve DRASTICALLY

When you give up 300-400 yards consistently and can't get no pressure on the quarterback you're not going to go very far.

Just look at the schedule and there's not many average or below .500 teams for us to struggle against like last year. This defense gave up more yards than this offense gained. Teams like SF, and Houston have the defenses to shut this offense down from time to time where our defense will just let them carve it to pieces. Also the heavy passing offenses; New Orleans, Giants, Detroit could make this defense look like crap if nothing has changed.

Going back and watching tape of this defense in the last few weeks and playoffs, they looked like they didn't even care. No one is even trying to get pressure on Manning in the playoff lose, it was no different than crossing your fingers, dropping everyone back to cover and praying you get an interception.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Obviously the Packers defense has to significantly improve – even the most casual fans know that. They also know or should know it’s too early to know if that’ll happen this season or not. IMO the best indication of that is the third preseason game. League-wide that’s the game most teams do any game-planning for so while it’s still “practice” it provides the best indication as long as the starters for each team are mostly still playing. How did the Packers’ D do vs. the Bengals? The Bengals played their starters into the third quarter and as I remember it, their best play was Dalton running after not being able to locate an open receiver. He went 5/17 passing for 40 yards and two sacks. The Bengals had a first-and-goal from the one yard line and settled for a field goal. Now the Bengals rested their top 2 RBs, but this is the team that thought Benson was expendable and pass D and pressure on the QB are the major concerns IMO, not rush D. How good is the Bengals offense? I don’t know and I’m not saying the Packers D will be good enough this year because of the way it played in the “most important” preseason game (an analogy to the "tallest midget" comes to mind, no offense intended to the height-challenged). But again, IMO it’s the best indication we have so I don’t understand Packers fans pessimism at this point in the preseason.

M

Mr Pickle

My monies on Perry!!! He's fat, slow and not worthy.... Do I hear and comments? 1st game, we suck! can you say, 3rd place..... can't wait to play the bears!!!! We are overrated! F thompson!

M

Mr Pickle

1st impression... we sure improved on D!!! No worries, we're back in the Bowl!!! Just wait we'll throw for 600 yards and 7 TD's... win by 2... I'm sure of it!!!! In 'T' I trust........!!!!!!!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
1st half of 1st game gave up 10 points and people whining?

Have a beer, enjoy the game and dont let it stress you out..

Wish people had same passion to complain about the refs which is costing us more then they should

Have 15.5 games to go

M

Mr Pickle

1st half of 1st game gave up 10 points and people whining?

Have a beer, enjoy the game and dont let it stress you out..

Wish people had same passion to complain about the refs which is costing us more then they should

Have 15.5 games to go

The refs aren't playin D!!!!

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like that defense has not improved to me same frustration as last year. Smith is having all day to throw. It's ridiculous. Again Miscommunications and playing off players because of Capers garbage scheme. They are keeping Rodgers on the side lines.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy needs to take away play calling from stupid Capers. That's if they want to make a run this year

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year Capers didn't have much to work with. This season he has no excuse. He's got the personnel and he's got the pass rushers this year.

But now when I watch today's game and see our defensive backfield do the same things they did last year, miss tackles, blown coverages, players not knowing assignments, it's gotta come back down to him. Not saying he should be fired just yet but I am definitely looking for more out of him.

And what an above poster said about Capers' defenses notoriously starting out good and getting worse is intriguing but I think that's how it goes for a lot of defensive coordinators not named Capers too.

Cali's#1Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Super frustrated right now. Based on how our defense looks right now, we will be a bust. Again.

Give credit where it's due. Niners have a very good team, they will be the face of the NFC this year.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts