Josh Jackson - trade bait?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can’t imagine he’d be worth much and he has time to learn yet. Lots of DBs don’t do much until years 2,3,4. Al Harris and Tramon are examples of guys that took a while to catch on and when they did they never looked back.

I’m not ready to give up on him yet.

OP
OP
GreenNGold_81

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can’t imagine he’d be worth much and he has time to learn yet. Lots of DBs don’t do much until years 2,3,4. Al Harris and Tramon are examples of guys that took a while to catch on and when they did they never looked back.

I’m not ready to give up on him yet.

But would he be worth a Josh Rosen?! lol.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have a new DB coach. Probably couldn't get much if we traded him. He's still cheap.

I guess I don't see why we would trade him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would still flip him straight up for Dante Pettis... give two 2nd round disappointments a change of scenery. He'd fit better in Saleh's defense.

OP
OP
GreenNGold_81

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would still flip him straight up for Dante Pettis... give two 2nd round disappointments a change of scenery. He'd fit better in Saleh's defense.

I did think of that actually.... Gotta wonder why the big drop off for Pettis in San fran this year when he was supposed to be the man.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
again with the still learning excuse...if he hasnt caught on yet then what is the point of letting him linger

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I did think of that actually.... Gotta wonder why the big drop off for Pettis in San fran this year when he was supposed to be the man.

Coaching staff takes issue with his toughness and play strength. Maybe his effort level?

H

HardRightEdge

Pettis had a left knee strain early in 2018 causing him to miss 3 games. In week 15 he suffered a left knee sprain after several good games leading up to that injury. Perhaps those accumulated injuries were worse than presented. Then he injured that same knee again in Nov. 2019. There is a medical concern that needs to be closly examined. Not a lot of risk though in swapping Jackson, a guy who slid to 6th. on the CB depth chart after going from 700 snaps as a rookie to 100 last season including a few safety snaps.

Pettis is low on the physicality scale, not a good fit in my mind if a physical pass catcher isn't added elsewhere to the mix. I hate to keep harping on it, but you need somebody who can run under routes who you can have confidence won't go down on first contact (like Graham) or end up in the tent (like Allison). Some YAC in this mix would be especially helpful. Sternberger and Tonyan do not look particularly physical, more in the oversized WR mold.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's still cheap...
In 2020 he's got the 19th highest cap number so not very cheap compared to production...but with $1.3Mil dead cap and only $391k cap savings might as well keep him for '20 and see if Jerry Gray can coach him up a bit to become better trade-bait in '21? He'll have the 11th highest cap # in '21 (as of right now) so IMHO he's got 1 more year to become a player.

OP
OP
GreenNGold_81

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pettis had a left knee strain early in 2018 causing him to miss 3 games. In week 15 he suffered a left knee sprain after several good games leading up to that injury. Perhaps those accumulated injuries were worse than presented. Then he injured that same knee again in Nov. 2019. There is a medical concern that needs to be closly examined. Not a lot of risk though in swapping Jackson, a guy who slid to 6th. on the CB depth chart after going from 700 snaps as a rookie to 100 last season including a few safety snaps.

Pettis is low on the physicality scale, not a good fit in my mind if a physical pass catcher isn't added elsewhere to the mix. I hate to keep harping on it, but you need somebody who can run under routes who you can have confidence won't go down on first contact (like Graham) or end up in the tent (like Allison). Some YAC in this mix would be especially helpful. Sternberger and Tonyan do not look particularly physical, more in the oversized WR mold.

In essence, we need a Deebo Samuel and this guy is a Trevor Davis.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The outlook on this guy doesn't seem to be very good and Gutes first draft is slowly becoming much less successful than originally thought/hoped. At least we got the 2019 1st rounder that helped us move up to grab Savage.

1.18 CB Jaire Alexander, Louisville
2.45: CB Josh Jackson, Iowa
3.88: LB Oren Burks, Vanderbilt
4.133: WR J’Mon Moore, Missouri
5.138: OL Cole Madison, Washington State
5.172: P JK Scott, Alabama
5.174: WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling, USF
6.207: WR Equanimeous St. Brown, Notre Dame
7.232: DL James Looney, Cal
7.239: LS Hunter Bradley, Mississippi State
7.248: OLB Kendall Donnerson, SE Missouri State

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not good to miss out on a 2nd rounder

Hopefully Elgton Jenkins has put an end to the way too many misses that the Packers have had with their 2nd round picks. But it does seem to be feast or famine with our 2nd round picks. I like the idea of picking a WR in the second, the last 3 (Adams, Cobb, Nelson) played pretty well for the Packers.
  • 2019: Elgton Jenkins
  • 2018: Josh Jackson
  • 2017: Kevin King and Josh Jones
  • 2016: Jason Spriggs
  • 2015: Quinton Rollins
  • 2014: Davante Adams
  • 2013: Eddie Lacy
  • 2012: Jerel Worthy and Casey Hayward
  • 2011: Randall Cobb
  • 2010: Mike Neal
  • 2009: no pick
  • 2008: Jordy, Brian Brohm and Pat Lee
  • 2007: Brandon Jackson

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's see...a slow footed CB that started 1 year in college and holds receivers all the time resulting in penalties. That's what all NFL teams are looking for ...... great trade bait. (sarcasm)

OP
OP
GreenNGold_81

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's see...a slow footed CB that started 1 year in college and holds receivers all the time resulting in penalties. That's what all NFL teams are looking for ...... great trade bait. (sarcasm)

That's looking at things the most pessimistically as one could. Alternatively, he's a 2nd round draft capital player with raw skills who is in a crowded room. Jaire had made some claims when he was drafted that he thought Josh was one of the best CB's in all of college football. When discussing trade possibilities that includes even a 7th rounder. Would we trade for that now? Doubtful, I'd rather our new secondary coach take a swing at using this year to make some positive changes than take a 7th. But trading him for say a shot at a developmental ILB or other player (Dante Pettis) is a different story and IMO worth discussing what the fans think about that.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As of today, thinking Josh Jackson has much, if any trade value is the wishful thinking of a Packer Fan in my opinion. If you were a Ravens fan, how much would you want them to trade for him? Even Josh Jones, also a 2nd rounder, who did actually have some decent snaps, didn't get us anything in a trade, he was simply released.

At this point, it doesn't matter when in the draft Josh Jackson was taken or what he did at Iowa, but more of what he has done in the NFL and I would say, diddly squat.

Seems like we have had a run of guys like this, as I am sure most teams do, but these are the guys that you see on waivers, get all excited about because they were a former high pick and they turn out to be nothing burgers because they haven't made the jump from college to the NFL for whatever reasons.

Best move for the Packers, bring him to camp, hope he improves enough to play on defense or really well on special teams. If he doesn't, "adiós JJ!"

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Jackson is that far off from being a pretty productive player. He's been beaten a few times, like everyone else. and though numbers wise he appears to give up more passes than he should, most times he's not far off. another tick here or there and those plays are very different. It's a game of inches and maybe he can't learn, maybe he never processes things fast enough to get that tick faster in reaction time. But his play is a far cry from pat lee or Ahmad Carrol type players we've had.

To me he's almost like a Buckley, not in terms of style of play, but you can kind of see the material there to work with, just took a while to turn it on. We all remember TBuck as being a failure, and he actually went on and had a decent career in the NFL after us. I think Jackson could do the same, though i'm hoping it turns on for him while he's here.