Jared gets 3 year deal

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Veron Davis 2 catches for 19 yards vs KC and openly *****ing why he isn't more involved in Denver's offense
Because clearly I'm talking about 30 year old Vernon Davis with a 40 year old QB throwing the ball for 2 weeks and not the one who caught 13 TDs when he was in an actual offense.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Physical attributes can go a long way during game time. Vernon Davis didn't have much variation in his route running, but he was effective because he out-matched any defender on him.

And to say Janis has done nothing to show promise is untrue. A good portion of passes he caught during preseason went for TDs, which is why so many people are surprised he hasn't been utilized. And he made a couple of heads up plays that resulted in long gains this year, and has done nothing but show effort during ST duties.

With Jones being shut down as of late and Adams proving he's not a reliable WR, I think they could try any other guys they've got.
Of course physical attributes can go a long way but much more physically gifted players have never found success at the NFL level then Jeff Janis. My point was I saw more from Abberderris last week at WR during the regular season than I have from Janis.

Special teams, preseason play, athletic ability is all great. Show it on the field on offense. That's why he's here. I hope he can. But given the choice, I'll take Abberderris.

Edit: Adams play may be inconsistent, but I wouldn't count him out. At least Rodgers is looking to him a lot. Jones has the most snaps of any WR and is the one that's completely vanished. That's a problem.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Abby is very skilled but frail. Janis is a physical specimen but doesn't seem to have a great head for the position. Wish Abby's brain could be transplanted in Janis' body: we would have another Jordy Nelson.

I don't think either player has a long NFL career but at least Abby is serviceable against NFL starters (when he isn't hurt).

Those clamoring for Janis should ask themselves: Why can't he get snaps with Jordy out for the year, with Jones struggling, and Montgomery sidelined? --Seems obvious that something isn't clicking for him at WR with the offense... Sometimes promise isn't fulfilled.

D

Deleted member 6794

http://www.packers.com/media-center...ng-trust/8d207a7d-5fac-4855-83bd-4843f0c9a42e

What are yalls thoughts on Abbrederis? Do you think if given a good opportunity and sufficient amount of playing time could he develop into a really good WR?

I personally have a good feeling about him. In the small amount of him I've seen of him I see a lot of potential. I just got a good feeling about him.

Abbrederis is a highly talented receiver, something he proved on Sunday. The question mark about him, which is a huge one, is his ability to stay healthy.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I was somewhat glad to hear it was a rib issue with Abby as opposed to another concussion. I fear his career will end with too many more of those. It's very obvious that Rodgers and the Packers are more comfortable with Abby then they are with Janis. I read an interview with Abby and he must have mentioned the word "trust" in regards to Rodgers a half a dozen times during it. Although its important for Rodgers to have trust in his receivers, with what has been going on with the offense lately, he needs to shift from trust to faith. I know its just semantics, but if Rodgers isn't throwing to guys that Clements and MM put on the field because he doesn't trust them, something isn't right with that. AR needs to have faith that the players can perform and if they do, they will earn his trust. If they don't perform, the coaches won't play them.

JP Doyal

AR12
Reaction score
I was somewhat glad to hear it was a rib issue with Abby as opposed to another concussion. I fear his career will end with too many more of those. It's very obvious that Rodgers and the Packers are more comfortable with Abby then they are with Janis. I read an interview with Abby and he must have mentioned the word "trust" in regards to Rodgers a half a dozen times during it. Although its important for Rodgers to have trust in his receivers, with what has been going on with the offense lately, he needs to shift from trust to faith. I know its just semantics, but if Rodgers isn't throwing to guys that Clements and MM put on the field because he doesn't trust them, something isn't right with that. AR needs to have faith that the players can perform and if they do, they will earn his trust. If they don't perform, the coaches won't play them.

Its's odd because Adams drops a lot of passes and Rodgers trust him quite a bit. He targeted him the most...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Its's odd because Adams drops a lot of passes and Rodgers trust him quite a bit. He targeted him the most...
Remember, we don't get to see (or hear much) about what happens in practices. Also, remember Adams hasn't seen a lot of action due to his injury (rustiness factor).

I think Adams has earned the spot he has based more on practice then his game stats (65 catches for 718 yards and 3 TD's). Rodgers and the Packers obviously see a lot of potential in Adams and its going to take more then one bad game for them to lesson their faith that with more playing time, Adams will be a good WR.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Rodgers has often made the distinction between mental errors (Janis not knowing where he should be) and physical mistakes (Adams dropping a catchable ball). He hates the former probably because he thinks they are due to a lack of dedication and preparation. And he forgives the latter. At some point I would think he'd get pi$$ed about receivers habitually dropping the ball because that is due to a lack of concentration. Jones is the embodiment of this concept. He dropped a lot of balls early in his career and he worked to correct that by even going so far as to talk to himself - to remind him to concentrate - before every play.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Rodgers is too worried about some dropped balls early in a receivers career. He's seen it before with Jordy and JJ, and they both turned out alright. Not to mention that one TE we had...who never really figured it out.

D

Deleted member 6794

According to McCarthy Abbrederis will be out several weeks with a rib injury. Frustrating that he can't stay healthy.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
According to McCarthy Abbrederis will be out several weeks with a rib injury. Frustrating that he can't stay healthy.

Abby may be one of those players that we never get to see his true potential due to injuries.

I wonder if there is any thought up in GB right now about putting him on IR and bringing in a street FA to replace him. Chris Matthews was released by the Seahags, but besides his impressive physical attributes, his body of work is similar to Janis.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Story of our season... Injuries

I don't know, I would hate to blame our last 3 game on injuries. Yes, loosing Jordy has turned out to be a bigger blow then expected or probably should have been, but I don't see the Packers as having anymore injuries then most teams to use that as an excuse.

D

Deleted member 6794

I wonder if there is any thought up in GB right now about putting him on IR and bringing in a street FA to replace him. Chris Matthews was released by the Seahags, but besides his impressive physical attributes, his body of work is similar to Janis.

I don't think the Packers have any plans on bringing in a street free agent receiver not knowing the system. Rodgers would for sure not have any trust in him.

I don't know, I would hate to blame our last 3 game on injuries. Yes, loosing Jordy has turned out to be a bigger blow then expected or probably should have been, but I don't see the Packers as having anymore injuries then most teams to use that as an excuse.

According to a website tracking injuries the Packers have the 7th-highest injury impact to a team's approximate value.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't think the Packers have any plans on bringing in a street free agent receiver not knowing the system. Rodgers would for sure not have any trust in him.

According to a website tracking injuries the Packers have the 7th-highest injury impact to a team's approximate value.

I agree Captain, wouldn't be TT like to bring a guy in at this time for sure. Sadly, unless Janis gets into the mix, without Abby and with Montgomery healing we are down to Jones, Cobb and Adams.

I will trust your stats and 7th was surprising to me. I am guessing that Jordy and Barrington are both bringing that stat up, both being before or right at the start of the season. The remainder of the season has been a key guy getting nicked here and there (Cobb, Shields, Adams, Montgomery, Lacy, Burnett, Jones, etc.) I guess I was thinking more along the lines of losing guys to IR, so I guess when you consider all the games lost along the way by some key starters, they do add up and possibly are even more disruptive to the flow then losing someone like Barrington when you know its permanent and can plan for it. So I stand corrected and thank you for pointing it out. I still refuse to use it as an excuse LOL

D

Deleted member 6794

I will trust your stats and 7th was surprising to me. I am guessing that Jordy and Barrington are both bringing that stat up, both being before or right at the start of the season. The remainder of the season has been a key guy getting nicked here and there (Cobb, Shields, Adams, Montgomery, Lacy, Burnett, Jones, etc.) I guess I was thinking more along the lines of losing guys to IR, so I guess when you consider all the games lost along the way by some key starters, they do add up and possibly are even more disruptive to the flow then losing someone like Barrington when you know its permanent and can plan for it. So I stand corrected and thank you for pointing it out. I still refuse to use it as an excuse LOL

The stat I posted above isn't the total number of man games lost (the Packers are tied for 24th in that category) but the approximate value of the guys missing games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The stat I posted above isn't the total number of man games lost (the Packers are tied for 24th in tjat category) but the approximate value of the guys missing games.
Although possibly a bit subjective, I agree with you in that it's probably a more telling stat. Again though, the loss of Jordy and Barrington weight heavy on this, players that our supposed quality depth at the time of their loss, should have covered.

Reaction score
I've seen several plays by Abby that make him look better than Janis at receiver at this point. Although Abby has drawn some concerns on the injury front, I'd take him over Janis if I had to choose, even with the recent injuries. My personal concern was if he could recover fully from missing last year. He just proved it to me Sunday
Jarred's performance in college shows that this string of injuries is unusual and unlikely to continue. As a pro, he has had 3 separate injuries which is telling. I'd be more concerned if it was the same reoccurring problem. I think he'll make a full recovery and we'll see him snagging more catches early December. I wouldn't be surprised to see him fit a role similar to what Boykin did as a #3 or 4. btw, his role as a sideline threat should be exploited as it proved formidable Sunday.
Dr. Phil "people do what works"

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Abbrederis is a highly talented receiver, something he proved on Sunday. The question mark about him, which is a huge one, is his ability to stay healthy.

I wouldn't necessarily say he proved anything. Lots of young WRs have a good game or two before they disappear into oblivion. Yeah it was a nice game but its going to take a heck of a lot more than 4 catches for 57 yards in 1 NFL game before I hang my hat on the guy.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't necessarily say he proved anything. Lots of young WRs have a good game or two before they disappear into oblivion. Yeah it was a nice game but its going to take a heck of a lot more than 4 catches for 57 yards in 1 NFL game before I hang my hat on the guy.
He was getting open, which is something we desperately need. Montgomery seems to have given Rodgers another option on multiple plays as well. Rodgers seems to have the best chemistry with Jones, and as long as he is getting shut down and Adams is dropping balls, the next best thing we can hope for is a couple of guys running free.
I don't think Rodgers is too worried about some dropped balls early in a receivers career. He's seen it before with Jordy and JJ, and they both turned out alright. Not to mention that one TE we had...who never really figured it out.
I am honestly not so sure about that. Look at his highlights in the NFL, even on a good number of his catches, the ball was bobbling in his hands before he secured it. All it takes is a CB to swat it out, which is what we were seeing Sunday. That's more concerning than the open drops to me.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Members online

Latest posts