Janis??

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
According to Silverstein's story yesterday even before Montgomery left the game, Janis was going to get some snaps with the offense:
The debut of receiver Jeff Janis in more than a bit role against the Chargers was another sign the offense could be opening up a little more. Janis played 40 snaps, and while a number of them were the result of Montgomery's injury, he was part of a package the Packers intended to use.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...s-offensive-attack-b99599297z1-334441651.html

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Silverstein's story yesterday even before Montgomery left the game, Janis was going to get some snaps with the offense:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...s-offensive-attack-b99599297z1-334441651.html

Did you see how excitedly Rodgers congratulated Janis on one of those two catches (can't remember which). We all know that Rodgers is a hard *** when it comes to expectations of the receivers, but on one of those catches Rodgers was extremely thrilled and pumped up and let everyone including Janis know it. It was really cool to sell.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Did you see how excitedly Rodgers congratulated Janis on one of those two catches (can't remember which). We all know that Rodgers is a hard *** when it comes to expectations of the receivers, but on one of those catches Rodgers was extremely thrilled and pumped up and let everyone including Janis know it. It was really cool to sell.
I did see that, but Rodgers was back in hard*** mode after the game:
While Rodgers and the Packers offense added rookie standout receiver Ty Montgomery (ankle) to the injury list, taking a seat in the training room next to Davante Adams who was already there, Rodgers was hesitant to anoint Janis with the usual "next man up" slogan so often used by the rest of the team whenever injuries pop up. "I think it's yet to be determined," Rodgers said. "We'll see what Ty's status is and Davante. It'd be great to get Davante back because he adds another dimension on the outside with his quick-twitch ability. "The week (off) will be good for both of those guys, but we have spots for a lot of different people. We've got to find ways to get our best players on the field at all times and ways to get the ball to them in space."
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...e-status-uncertain-b99598796z1-333975161.html

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying there is reason to get over exited over Janis yet, just pointing out what I thought was cool moment in the game.

I thought his best play was his downfield blocking for James Starks on the 65-yard touchdown run. It's good to see him have his head in the game when he doesn't have the ball.

Janis still has a way to go....he needs to get more separation and learn to run patterns other than the deep post. If he doesn't do that soon Abbredaris is likely to pass him by on the depth chart, and he's already buried behind Cobb, Jones, Adams and Montgomery (when healthy). Next year Nelson comes back, so Janis's window will close fast if he doesn't step it up.

Sky King

Reaction score
There should not be any doubt about two things: Janis is physically gifted and also quite short on experience at a major level of ball.

He needs time for anyone to decide one way or the other if he will be a significant contributor in the passing game. He's already establishing himself nicely as a STs gunner. Overall, some folks may be expecting too much, too soon.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
There should not be any doubt about two things: Janis is physically gifted and also quite short on experience at a major level of ball.

He needs time for anyone to decide one way or the other if he will be a significant contributor in the passing game. He's already establishing himself nicely as a STs gunner. Overall, some folks may be expecting too much, too soon.
What? Wait? He's a TT draft pick. He is supposed to be all-pro after his first preseason game. :whistling:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Possibly but for Janis to even have a chance at matching Drivers 39 total receptions through 3 years right now it looks like he'd have to improve astronomically from his 2nd to 3rd year.

Also the reason why it's brought up is because Janis just might be the most hyped up 7th rounder ever

Not many seventh rounders ever show the kind of potential Janis showed in either the preseason or the even the regular season. His touchdown production in preseason games has been ridiculous, that 30+ yarder against the Rams last year was electric and his two splash plays against SD were huge. Next Jordy Nelson? No way. Next Bill Schreoder, that I can see. Bottom line there aren't that many players who go about 220 and can run in the 4.3s. We'll see if he ever becomes more than a special teams gunner.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not many seventh rounders ever show the kind of potential Janis showed in either the preseason or the even the regular season. His touchdown production in preseason games has been ridiculous, that 30+ yarder against the Rams last year was electric and his two splash plays against SD were huge. Next Jordy Nelson? No way. Next Bill Schreoder, that I can see. Bottom line there aren't that many players who go about 220 and can run in the 4.3s. We'll see if he ever becomes more than a special teams gunner.

We have late round picks and undrafted players all the time play just as well as Janis has in the preseason. We currently have a rookie undrafted CB on our roster that played WAY better then Janis has his two preseasons and he rarely gets brought up anymore (at least not remotely close to the extent of Janis). Yes we haven't experienced the injuries to CB that we at WR but Janis would still be being brought up regardless by some fans.

And there are more then a few players with that size and speed who never amount to much. Honestly theres not a shortage of guys thst are big and fast. Whether they can run a route or catch the ball is a different story.

If he can become Schroeder that's a huge win for his draft position but for the amount of hype he's received one would think he's closer to Jordy. It's gotten that bad at points.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have late round picks and undrafted players all the time play just as well as Janis has in the preseason. We currently have a rookie undrafted CB on our roster that played WAY better then Janis has his two preseasons and he rarely gets brought up anymore (at least not remotely close to the extent of Janis). Yes we haven't experienced the injuries to CB that we at WR but Janis would still be being brought up regardless by some fans.

And there are more then a few players with that size and speed who never amount to much. Honestly theres not a shortage of guys thst are big and fast. Whether they can run a route or catch the ball is a different story.

If he can become Schroeder that's a huge win for his draft position but for the amount of hype he's received one would think he's closer to Jordy. It's gotten that bad at points.

Yeah I agree with most this but Janis is a special athlete. I listened to a podcast where they broke down his numbers relative to his size and speed and he's in the top 99th percentile at the position so I would say there's a bit of a shortage of athletes of janis' ilk

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I agree with most this but Janis is a special athlete. I listened to a podcast where they broke down his numbers relative to his size and speed and he's in the top 99th percentile at the position so I would say there's a bit of a shortage of athletes of janis' ilk

Maybe my math is a lil fuzzy but assuming there's 6 WRs per roster and another two on each teams PS, shooting high on this, then him being in the 99th percentile would mean there's only 2 or 3 other WRs, (if you include all cut WRs during TC), in the whole league that are comparable to Janis in both size and speed. A sentiment I definitely disagree with

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think Janis has a rare combination of size and speed, even for the NFL but I’m not sure how rare or in which percentile it puts him. As his draft profile on nfl.com says, he has “exceptional measurables and leaping ability -- will test through the roof”. If he had put up the same production at a major college, I'm sure he would have been drafted much higher. Even so, the draft profile guessed he’d be taken in rounds 4 or 5.

Of course it takes more than speed to succeed in the NFL. I did a search for the fastest 40 times and found a Bleacher Report article written a year before Janis was drafted. In its opening it says, “This article takes the top 25 40 times since 2006 and ranks the value of those players. You’ll immediately notice that several players on this list have never developed into difference-makers.” http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1646779-power-ranking-the-25-fastest-players-in-the-nfl

BTW, the fastest 40 time I found (not an exhaustive search) was Joey Galloway at 4.18 seconds.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis has been in on many tackles during kick offs or punts, the downfield block as someone mentioned above was great too. Keep working young man, most receivers take awhile to figure it all out. Ty, has got me really happy so far.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think that Janus has some similarities to Driver and Schroeder though I don't think he's as raw as Schroeder at the same stage in their career.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm simply not sold on Janis, Abby either for that matter. I just don't think they will amount to anything special. I hope I am wrong but it is my opinion that there are plenty of WRs just like them sitting at the bottom of depth charts around the league and spread across the practice squads of many NFL teams.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm simply not sold on Janis, Abby either for that matter. I just don't think they will amount to anything special. I hope I am wrong but it is my opinion that there are plenty of WRs just like them sitting at the bottom of depth charts around the league and spread across the practice squads of many NFL teams.

I think that Abbrederis is a hugely talented receiver. As I've mentioned repeatedly take a look back at his game against Ohio State in 2013 (10 catches, 207 yards, 1 TD) when he schooled Bradley Roby who ended up being a first-round pick for the Broncos and is now the nickel corner for one of the best defenses in the league. The huge question mark with Abby is if he's able to stay healthy.

Janis is a special athlete who played college football in Division II and it's not surprising it takes him time to get used to playing in the NFL, especially for a guy like Rodgers at QB who doesn't forgive any mental errors. If he ever figures out the Packers offense he will be a dangerous threat on every play.

Overall, I don't think there are many receivers either on the bottom of other teams depth charts or the practice squad as talented as those two. That doesn't mean one or both of them will ever make a huge impact with the Packers but I like having them as the fifth and sixth receivers.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that Abbrederis is a hugely talented receiver. As I've mentioned repeatedly take a look back at his game against Ohio State in 2013 (10 catches, 207 yards, 1 TD) when he schooled Bradley Roby who ended up being a first-round pick for the Broncos and is now the nickel corner for one of the best defenses in the league. The huge question mark with Abby is if he's able to stay healthy.

Janis is a special athlete who played college football in Division II and it's not surprising it takes him time to get used to playing in the NFL, especially for a guy like Rodgers at QB who doesn't forgive any mental errors. If he ever figures out the Packers offense he will be a dangerous threat on every play.

Overall, I don't think there are many receivers either on the bottom of other teams depth charts or the practice squad as talented as those two. That doesn't mean one or both of them will ever make a huge impact with the Packers but I like having them as the fifth and sixth receivers.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree then. On this one I hope you are right.

Sky King

Reaction score
Why I cheer for Janis to succeed:
  1. He's a Green Bay Packer and I'm a lifelong fan of the Packers (I should be able to stop here)
  2. He is a gifted athlete with tremendous upside who needs more experience, not to mention patience
  3. As a small town Midwesterner, I can identify (My WI hometown is small similar to his)
Why I am mystified with Packer fans who are curiously critical of Janis so much, so soon:
  1. See: 1-3 above

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I will always hope for the best for any player and member of the organization, even if I hope they're replaced like Slocum. But while he/they are here, why not hope for the best? I hoped Mandarich would be the best OL in the league, Justin Harrell would justify his draft status, Forest Gregg would turn the franchise around, etc. So of course I hope Janis becomes a great WR. In addition to his physical attributes and potential, he'll be on his rookie deal through 2017.
Why I am mystified with Packer fans who are curiously critical of Janis so much, so soon: See: 1-3 above
I think one of the reasons he's received so much criticism here is it started as a reaction to a couple of posters who posted (IMO) unrealistically high expectations for him. Then a couple of posters posted the idea that there was a reason he lasted to the 7th round, the others doubled down on their expectations, etc.

Sky King

Reaction score
... I think one of the reasons he's received so much criticism here is it started as a reaction to a couple of posters who posted (IMO) unrealistically high expectations for him. Then a couple of posters posted the idea that there was a reason he lasted to the 7th round, the others doubled down on their expectations, etc.
My expectation was that it would take him some time to catch-up facing dramatically superior competition, college vs. NFL. He belongs just based upon his play on STs. Anything the team gets out of him at WR will be a bonus.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
My expectation was that it would take him some time to catch-up facing dramatically superior competition, college vs. NFL. He belongs just based upon his play on STs. Anything the team gets out of him at WR will be a bonus.
Yes, look at how long Jarrett Bush lasted on the Packers because of his STs play. He hasn’t been missed because of Janis and Banjo, just to name two.

Here’s what I wrote in my first post about Janis: “I hope Janis becomes a force at WR. His measurables are fantastic. But realistically, he does have some negatives to overcome – obviously that’s why he was a seventh rounder. Here are his negatives from the nfl.com combine profiles”. The negatives from his nfl draft profile were small and inconsistent hands, not a nuanced route runner, not strong after the catch, not a consistent blocker and the competition he faced in college. I thought his biggest hurdle would be catching the ball consistently but IMO he’s overcome that and the other negatives except the concern with route running.

Last edited:

UCSB616

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gorgeous Janis parody account on twitter @janischrist83. It's a thing of beauty.