Is Love being traded?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They also let Boyle leave, nothing about this offseason says they're looking to move Love, or even could.

I assumed that went without saying...but I guess not. Yes and they would have no backup if they traded love unless they recieved one in said trade or drafted one with the pick they received

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yes and they would have no backup if they traded love unless they recieved one in said trade or drafted one with the pick they received

Gute is trading up in the first and drafting another QB, without trading Love....just to give people something to chew on. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

I still find it interesting that people think somehow the Packers plans with Love have somehow magically changed.
  • Didn't force him into action his rookie year with no preseason, although, no real chance to play anyway.
  • Didn't extend Rodgers "til he retires".
  • Didn't resign Boyle or any other backup QB.
What did I miss that would tell people that the plans from the day they drafted Love have changed? Those plans being.....land a top QB late in the 1st round, let him learn behind 37 year old #12 and wait and see how long #12 stays in GB, as well as how long #10 takes to get ready, if at all. About the only thing that changed was Covid and not having the normal practices or preseason to give Love more work.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I have no idea whether to put any stock into this.

IF the Packers were to do this swap... 29, 135, and Love for 15, this is how Love would be roughly valued.

#15 is considered to be worth 1050 points on the value chart.

#29 is considered to be worth 640.

#135 is considered to be worth 39.

So with 679 "points" in picks going New England's way, that would mean that Love is accounting for the shortfall of 371 "points."

371 equates to ~pick 52/53 in the second round.

So in essence, the move would turn Love, the 27th pick last year, into the 52nd pick this year.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I assumed that went without saying...but I guess not. Yes and they would have no backup if they traded love unless they recieved one in said trade or drafted one with the pick they received

Or signed a free agent.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now Gary that response wasn't so full of glee. I stand by the trade. The player at 19 is going to be very good. Then you have 51, 62 & 92 to fill your holes with possible end of year starters and at least quality depth. By the points system this makes Love pick #31. I would love (see what I did there) to get that much value for him while at the same time sending AR the message that we are committed to him.

Says who?

There isn’t any guarantee that player is going to be good.

Reaction score
It’s a tough call. I can see some benefit on GB’s side by waiting as far as exploring all options and avenues. I do recall someone from GB foreshadowing an intended deal to an outside agent that was essentially hinting of a forthcoming conclusion to this dilemma of current Cap scarcity.

There’s really no hurry for GB to do an extension if they are concerned about the future budget getting out of control. Sometimes in negotiations, when the budget is tight in particular, a premature move is viewed as a weakness and patience in negotiations can often save considerable Coin.
That’s just a general lesson I’ve learned through countless mistakes I’ve personally made and it holds universally with negotiations in general (there are obvious exceptions).
Never be in a hurry to buy a home, automobile or real estate or even take an offer for employment as it can show weakness. Be prepared to walk away from an offer during the “consideration” stage of the deal. There’s actually an art to that as scary as it might seem. Often the best deals are the ones where I took my time or told the other party I’d “get back with them”
Maybe just maybe GB is letting Rodgers sweat a little on purpose, even if their plan A is to extend him.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Gute is trading up in the first and drafting another QB, without trading Love....just to give people something to chew on. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

I still find it interesting that people think somehow the Packers plans with Love have somehow magically changed.
  • Didn't force him into action his rookie year with no preseason, although, no real chance to play anyway.
  • Didn't extend Rodgers "til he retires".
  • Didn't resign Boyle or any other backup QB.
What did I miss that would tell people that the plans from the day they drafted Love have changed? Those plans being.....land a top QB late in the 1st round, let him learn behind 37 year old #12 and wait and see how long #12 stays in GB, as well as how long #10 takes to get ready, if at all. About the only thing that changed was Covid and not having the normal practices or preseason to give Love more work.
I don’t think the plan was to draft a QB late in the 1st round. I think they thought Love was a very uncommon talent and when no one picked him early, teams like Green Bay and New England saw potential to get this uncommon talent at a place they shouldn’t realistically expect him to be available.
IMO, it really is as simple as that.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don’t think the plan was to draft a QB late in the 1st round. I think they thought Love was a very uncommon talent and when no one picked him early, teams like Green Bay and New England saw potential to get this uncommon talent at a place they shouldn’t realistically expect him to be available.
IMO, it really is as simple as that.

I fully agree with one caveat. I do think Gute had his eyes on Love pre-draft and knew that if he fell far enough, he would go after him and he did. I can imagine some of the same process happened to TT with Aaron Rodgers. I believe that both the Love and Rodgers picks were clear examples of drafting the best player available, while still being able to justify the need.

Last edited:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers trading love there first and fourth to move to 15? I looked saw nothing also never heard of that site and zero percent chance there is any truth to what you read...

This was discussed within the last day or 2 on The Fan in Milwaukee. The ONLY way this happens is if the front office knows something we don't about his development. With that being said can I see us drafting a QB early? Yes, but not trading up to get one.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rumors aside, I'm genuinely curiously how interested Belichick would be in Love. How much would he value him?

It would also be funny if we traded Love to NE for their No. 15 pick, and Gute used it to pick up another QB.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe i'm even entertaining this again, yet here I am LOL

I can't see BB wanting to give up significant trade capital for a QB that has shown zip in the NFL he could have drafted at 23 last year rather than trading back. why would he?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I can't see BB wanting to give up significant trade capital for a QB that has shown zip in the NFL he could have drafted at 23 last year rather than trading back. why would he?

Oh WTG....now you armed all the Love haters with Ammo! :roflmao:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In theory, if BB liked Love last year then he should value him even more this year. He is still the unknown talent that he was at this time last year, except instead of learning from Cam Newton he sat on the bench and learned from Aaron Rodgers.

I still don't ever see this happening. GM's rarely give up on a high draft pick until it is proven without a doubt that the guy was a dud. Nobody knows anything about how Love will do, so I see a negative 0.0% change of this happening. :D

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Drafting a guy like Love is like buying a car. Once we picked Love and drove him off the lot, he immediately lost value.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh WTG....now you armed all the Love haters with Ammo! :roflmao:
on the flip side, BB is probably better at plug and play and release FA's than he is at drafting so his evaluation coming out of college might not mean that much to begin with. :)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In theory, if BB liked Love last year then he should value him even more this year. He is still the unknown talent that he was at this time last year, except instead of learning from Cam Newton he sat on the bench and learned from Aaron Rodgers.

I still don't ever see this happening. GM's rarely give up on a high draft pick until it is proven without a doubt that the guy was a dud. Nobody knows anything about how Love will do, so I see a negative 0.0% change of this happening. :D
If the pats picked at 27 and the packers moved up to 26 to take love I might think it's a slim possibility. But the Pats could have had him at 23. maybe they thought he'd be available to where they moved back to in the 2nd. But then If they didn't think he was worth a 1st round selection last year and thought they could get him at 37 why would they give up a top 20 this year? There are certainly going to be QB's they evaluated as 1st or 2nd round talents available to them again this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

Heard Pauline on local radio say that if the Packers don't trade the pick it would be dumb and means they wasted the pick on Love if they don't use him for two years.

Apparently he considers Aaron Rodgers a wasted pick as he sat on the bench for 3 years.

You need to understand that with every season Love sits on the bench the Packers lose a year of benefitting of him being on a rookie deal. That system wasn't in place at the time Rodgers was drafted.

I fully agree with one caveat. I do think Gute had his eyes on Love pre-draft and knew that if he fell far enough, he would go after him and he did. I can imagine some of the same process happened to TT with Aaron Rodgers. I believe that both the Love and Rodgers picks were clear examples of drafting the best player available, while still being able to justify the need.

The huge differences being that nobody considered Love a potential #1 overall pick, Rodgers hasn't threatened to retire nor were the Packers in a rebuilding mode.

This was discussed within the last day or 2 on The Fan in Milwaukee. The ONLY way this happens is if the front office knows something we don't about his development. With that being said can I see us drafting a QB early? Yes, but not trading up to get one.

It would be extremely stupid to draft another quarterback early even if they trade Love (which I definitely don't expect to happen) after the way Rodgers performed last season.

It's a completely unrealistic expectation by several posters who expect other teams to overpay for players on the Packers despite them already having shown not being interested in any of them.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post, but I wouldn't say that what they are doing serves only "one goal". Rather like what you say about financial flexibility, it gives them long term player flexibility as well. If Rodgers gets hurt, play drops off, suddenly retires, etc. and Love IS who they thought he was, this gives the Packers the most options at THE most important position in football and the financial freedom to make it happen.

Honestly, besides the media and fans stirring this pot, I really don't know what has changed in almost a year. Rodgers proved that he is still an elite QB, Love hasn't played a snap, which means he is at least 1-3 years from being ready and the Packers all have sung Rodgers praises. For people to try and say that the Packers not "re-committing" to Rodgers via a new contract, just seems like looking to find something to re-stir the drama pot and right up there with people talking about he didn't like MLF last year.

I ment their one goal was maintaining the opportunity for financial flexibility that they have worked hard to create...the one spot where I disagree is about Rodgers...I think you left out the part about a year ago he was clearly pissed about the jordan love pick. To what degree idk but I do know that he is still pissed about it so that hasn't changed.

But how pissed is he, that's the big question? I don't think that's all media and them not restructuring Rodgers at all is not a good sign no matter how you slice it. They still would of had that flexibility even if they had restructured him to the fullest. So something is definitely going on...it's just how big of a problem is it gonna turn into. That all depends on like you said if and how long it takes Love to be ready

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You need to understand that with every season Love sits on the bench the Packers lose a year of benefitting of him being on a rookie deal.
True enough. But two things: the QB is by far the most important position on a team and also it takes a few years for a QB to develop. This is less true with both colleges and even High Schools going to more pro style offenses. But if a QB is allowed to watch and learn; maybe get some light "contrived" situational experience, he is more likely to succeed. The investment, even if it takes a few years, is worth it.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True enough. But two things: the QB is by far the most important position on a team and also it takes a few years for a QB to develop. This is less true with both colleges and even High Schools going to more pro style offenses. But if a QB is allowed to watch and learn; maybe get some light "contrived" situational experience, he is more likely to succeed. The investment, even if it takes a few years, is worth it.

I totally agree, yeah that rookie deal thing is the best case scenario absolutely but it is not the only way and I don't think there's anyone that think Love is ready to start even this season let alone last. Yeah that worked for Joe burrow and justin herbert. Probably will work for lawrence and someone else from this draft. And I don't think it would of worked for Rodgers by the way. But if Love sits for 3 seasons and then turns into the Packers starter for the next 15 that's a home run. So a late first is absolutely worth the risk

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Playing devils advocate

Maybe he really loved Love, but was good with what he had?
But this year realized he needs better options, and is still impressed with him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I ment their one goal was maintaining the opportunity for financial flexibility that they have worked hard to create...the one spot where I disagree is about Rodgers...I think you left out the part about a year ago he was clearly pissed about the jordan love pick. To what degree idk but I do know that he is still pissed about it so that hasn't changed.

But how pissed is he, that's the big question? I don't think that's all media and them not restructuring Rodgers at all is not a good sign no matter how you slice it. They still would of had that flexibility even if they had restructured him to the fullest. So something is definitely going on...it's just how big of a problem is it gonna turn into. That all depends on like you said if and how long it takes Love to be ready

Here is the thing. Rodgers is a super smart guy, he may have been pissed about Love, but I bet deep down he understood the pick. If he didn't, then he doesn't understand football and planning very well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts