If I do play this year, it will be my last.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett is not hurting the team by not making a decision. This is a fabrication so sports writers have something to discuss. TT drafted a young QB last year who will work to be on the field this season. Brett's salary is not a factor because there's still a ton of cap space.

It's obvious that TT's plan to improve this team would be the same with or without Favre. Improve the defense, develop an OL with our current players and develop young players with potential. These are the keys with Brett Favre behind center or Aaron Rodgers.

So how is Brett hurting the team by not deciding now??

FrozenTundra4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett will anounce when and if he thinks TT has improved the team enough to win. Brett won't actually get his bonus until Sept. They can keep pushing out the date until after the draft. I don't think Brett likes TT JMO.
If Bretts comes back it will depend who we draft and sign in FA or trade for on Offense. Brett does not want to live his life with 30 concusions after retirement cause TT was cheap.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, I am a huge Favre fan. Between him and Reggie White they elevated the franchise to heights not seen in 30 years. As far as TT, I believe the jury is still out on his capabilities as a GM.

That being said, I am getting tired of this whole exercise wondering if Brett will return and laying the blame at the door of TT.

Brett recently was quoted as saying that if he returns it will be for 1 year only, and while I would love to send him out on a high note I do not feel that it would be prudent to mortgage the future for 1 more year out of any player.

This team was in serious decline 2-3 years before TT took the helm and these trends are not typically reversed in just 1 or 2 offseasons.

Teams that spend lavishly on "big name" free agents are not better represented in the playoffs than other teams. If the Packers were to go the route of many big signings and they worked out for 1 year so we could send Brett out on a high note that would be great for 1 year, but what would the long term ramifications be when Brett retires in 2007 and we have $$$ tied up in aging/declining "names", little cap flexibility and low draft position.

As I stated, I think the jury is still out on TT, but I think he has a rational plan to prepare this team for the long run and not just next year. If Favre is not on board with this plan, then I would thank him for the magic and memories he has provided over the years and wish him well in retirement.

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have to disagree with you on a couple of points...spardo..

Yes..this team was on the decline..but not as severely as you suggest..

Letting both guards go last year was a huge mistake..(TT should have kept at least one..and letting Longwell go is another thing that is going to bite TT on the ***...)

He probably could have handled the Bates thing better too and maybe had him here as DC at least one more year...(look what Washington did to keep their DC.) They gave him a big raise..and made a big stink about keeping him..

Also...TT should have done something about the Walker/receiving corps situation...Not dealing Walker and not going after a guy like Moulds is a big mistake....and the receiving corps is a big question mark right now...

No..there were definitely things that TT could have done without totally stripping this team down to the frame and starting over...but he dropped the ball...

(or perhaps this was TT's plan all along...??? To blow up the Packers and REALLY start from scratch....)

not a good idea..imo..

especially when you've got Brett Favre watching and waiting and wanting to come back for another run...

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
spardo is right about the hasty spending and future ramifications...as I mentioned in another thread, that contributed to MS being relieved of GM duties.

I agree with you about keeping one of the guards and the bates situation, Levens, but he has to play hardball w/ Walker...

you can't let the tail wag the dog...you could make an arugment that Grady and Walker's complaints came about due to MS letting McKenzie be traded (indicating that the Packers would be willing to fold). Trading disgruntled players, or giving them more $$$ needs to be reserved for rare and extreme situations.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did not mean to imply that I agree with everything that has transpired under the watch of TT. Seeing where the market has gone the last 2 years for top notch guards Wahle should have been retained. I do not think it would have been wise to put up Cowboy money for Riveria.

I just would like to emphasize that the program was in a decline that would have eventually hit bottom no matter what moves would have been made. The trick is to shorten the length of this bottoming out. By drafting purdently, making wise trades, and not signing free agents just for the sake of keeping the team competitive for Brett he has a chance to do this, but the jury is still out.

BTW

I would love to see a trade for Moulds.

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think Grady coulda/shoulda been retained without breaking the bank...Grady with that new guy they got from the Rams would be formidable...

(There is a thing called being "too frugal" you know..and I think TT has a perverse desire to be so...)

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, D. Levens, that TT is fairly frugal (not quite to a fault...but getting there)...with the excpetion of Bubba, who I think he drastically overpayed for.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:
4packgirl.....YOU LEAVE BRETT ALONE!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
He has enough distractions, he doesn't need some babe talking to him on the phone!!!!

ok, ok, buckeye - whatever you say!! :wink: :lol:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
krd005 said:
Anyone who is ragging on Brett about all this has never played a compettive sport. It's so apparent....by the comments.

Once again what does it matter if he says anything at this point? What will change? I keep asking this question and none of the Brett haters give me a answer.

You are right krd....not only have they never played a competitive sport my guess is they break out into a sweat while typing a response.

So, people who think Brett is out of line..are fat people? Thats...very stupid.

krd005

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NO!!! people who think he needs to decide RIGHT NOW to save the season are looking that way!!!

Tro: why does he need to decide right now?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well bretts indecision went from being an annoyance to us fans to a media spectacle now. Everyones words are being twisted around, to make a good story.

Brett just needs to decide. IF he doesnt have enough faith in TTs decision making, he should retire, even though I wish he wouldnt. But he needs to decide.

krd005

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I mean is people who have never played the game have no idea what is all about. They have no idea what it takes nor do they have a idea on how talented these guys are.

I think what he was getting at is that a majority of people who sit here and ***** just don't get it.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you HAVE to have played football to understand the game?

Then if YOU havent played in the NFL, then YOU are not allowed to talk about free agency and salary cap issues, because YOU dont know what its all about.

(See how thats silly? A little pop warner football doesnt make you a scholar)

krd005

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tro so you can't give me a better reason then it bothers you and you are tired of it! Sounds like it's our fault and the media's fault not Brett's!

krd005

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have you ever played a competitive sport my friend? At what level?

I would bet by your comments that you haven't

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
krd005 said:
Tro so you can't give me a better reason then it bothers you and you are tired of it! Sounds like it's our fault and the media's fault not Brett's!

he knows how the media works.

And this is not helping a rookie HC and a 2nd year GM.

krd005

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT is a big boy as is the MM. It is not affecting anything they are doing anyway. So, maybe they are tired of the questions but other than that it just doesn't matter

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
krd005 said:
TT is a big boy as is the MM. It is not affecting anything they are doing anyway. So, maybe they are tired of the questions but other than that it just doesn't matter

So TT is a big boy
MM is a big boy

but Brett gets to play "I dont know what i wanna do" like a child?

seems fair.

Come back, Brett!

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
krd005 said:

Trom: this is not Favres job... He needs to be the teams QM not TT and MM nanny, if they cant do the job by themselves then they should just resign. Acctually it is TT´s job to make life simpler for everyone on the team, make the right decitions thata GM must make, keep the good working aura, bring the guys that the team need, avoid the apearance of any kind of issues that could affect or hurt the team like Walker, etc, etc.

krd005

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett can take as much time as he wants!!!

Brett did not start any of this crap.......he just wants to be competitive and play football.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chamuko said:
tromadz said:
krd005 said:

Trom: this is not Favres job... He needs to be the teams QM not TT and MM nanny, if they cant do the job by themselves then they should just resign. Acctually it is TT´s job to make life simpler for everyone on the team, make the right decitions thata GM must make, keep the good working aura, bring the guys that the team need, avoid the apearance of any kind of issues that could affect or hurt the team like Walker, etc, etc.

But they have to make their decisions based on Favres decisions. Or in this case, Indecision. Im sure thats easy though, right?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
krd005 said:
Brett can take as much time as he wants!!!

Brett did not start any of this crap.......he just wants to be competitive and play football.

yeah he did, the second he said "I wanna see what the team does in the offseason" ted was on the clock.

He started all of this.

Ted is in his 2nd year, continuing to try and clean this team up from shermans mess, and now hes on the clock, being pressured by Favre.

I love favre, want him to come back, but dont tell me he didnt start this.

Members online

Latest posts