I am so pissed off at Ted Thompson...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yes, more spread out and that's easier to survive but it sure wasn't easy.

Take the Sam Shields injury away in 2016 and the Packers most likely are a better team. Good enough to beat Atlanta THAT day? I don't know, but yes, a good season and a great season, could possibly be the result of losing just one guy or the timing of losing one or more players. One can probably go back and use that same argument when AZ beat us, as well as when Seattle beat us in the NFCCG. But then, every team can use the same argument, its football. Small margin of error, but that is why you need to have adequate experienced depth, which the Packers thought they had at CB last year, turns out they didn't then, do they now?

D

Deleted member 6794

Small margin of error, but that is why you need to have adequate experienced depth, which the Packers thought they had at CB last year, turns out they didn't then, do they now?

Unfortunately the cornerbacks currently on the Packers roster don´t have a ton of experience with House having started the most games out of the group at 34. That´s especially concerning as Randall, Rollins and Gunter have performed on a significant better level while benefitting from being on the field with a veteran leader.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Unfortunately the cornerbacks currently on the Packers roster don´t have a ton of experience with House having started the most games out of the group at 34. That´s especially concerning as Randall, Rollins and Gunter have performed on a significant better level while benefitting from being on the field with a veteran leader.
I am guessing there are teams with less experience at CB and by no means can you say Randall and Rollins shouldn't know what they are doing back there by now. I think their ineffectiveness in 2016 can be attributed more to their skill sets, injury status and magnified by not having enough talent around them once Shields was lost. Year #3 coming up....put their feet further into the flames and see what happens appears to be the plan.

D

Deleted member 6794

I am guessing there are teams with less experience at CB and by no means can you say Randall and Rollins shouldn't know what they are doing back there by now. I think their ineffectiveness in 2016 can be attributed more to their skill sets, injury status and magnified by not having enough talent around them once Shields was lost.

Let's hope that Randall and Rollins struggled for some other reason than skill set because otherwise the Packers defense will give up a ton of points against good offenses once again.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finding someone who would actually address the worst pass defense in the NFL with heavy cap space and options available on a team contending for a Super Bowl is far from trying to "chase a unicorn" when it comes to someone that could help the Packers.

Soon enough the Packers won't be a contender any longer and then I think it will finally register with many what was lost.

Which is why I said Thompson will be the most hated GM ( IMO). Ultimately this franchise needs to stop patting itself on the back for the loser spot. I was sickened when Murphy complimented and said the team had a good season. Did you win a SB? No. Failure!!! End of story. This organization should be judged on SB's and nothing else.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I read about coaches being "incensed" with Lang move. I think a lot is on the line for THompson this this year. He is gonna come out of this whole thing looking like a genius or an idiot.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I read about coaches being "incensed" with Lang move. I think a lot is on the line for THompson this this year. He is gonna come out of this whole thing looking like a genius or an idiot.
They could have easily matched Lang's contract. Ted's just being cheap. Of course if he thinks the Packers are stacked at guard..........

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
They could have easily matched Lang's contract. Ted's just being cheap. Of course if he thinks the Packers are stacked at guard..........

Yes they could have. But not matching a big contract on a guard at that age with that injury history isn't necessarily being cheap. That's a lot of money for a guy whose best play is probably behind him.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's hope that Randall and Rollins struggled for some other reason than skill set because otherwise the Packers defense will give up a ton of points against good offenses once again.
Injuries.... I'm banking on the same rebound that davante Adams had after an injury filled season. Both Randall and Rollins were getting great reviews early on, just like Adams did. Both battled multiple big injuries, just like Adams did his 2nd yr...

So as I said earlier this off season. I think Gunter is our replacement for Hyde. Both physical, good tacklers, and play well despite being a half step slow...

then you have house, Randall, and Rollins all fighting to start. All backed up by a great safety duo.

Add a rookie or two...

I still think Revis was faking his suckyness to get out of NYJ...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I too hope Randall and Rollins have great comeback 3rd years, we are going to need it. One thing that bothers me a bit about Randall, I think some are looking back at his rookie season as "fantastic". While it wasn't bad for a Rookie, he was ranked by PFF as only the 63rd best CB in the league and that was with Sam Shields as the Packers #1. So yes, with good health and improvement, odds are Randall will be better than last year, but I still have my doubts that by just adding House, we are going to see the big improvement that the defense will probably need from Randall and Rollins.

D

Deleted member 6794

While it was the right move not to match the Lions offer for Lang the Packers currently aren't stacked at guard by any means having only Taylor, Barclay, Patrick and McCray on the roster at the position with Murphy possibly moving inside.

Injuries.... I'm banking on the same rebound that davante Adams had after an injury filled season. Both Randall and Rollins were getting great reviews early on, just like Adams did. Both battled multiple big injuries, just like Adams did his 2nd yr...

So as I said earlier this off season. I think Gunter is our replacement for Hyde. Both physical, good tacklers, and play well despite being a half step slow...

Unfortunately neither Randall or Rollins were great during their rookie season but serviceable while benefitting of playing with a veteran #1 cornerback in Shields. They haven't proven to be capable of performing at a decent level without a leader though.

Gunter isn't agile enough to play in the slot, therefore he isn't an adequate replacement for Hyde.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Which is why I said Thompson will be the most hated GM ( IMO). Ultimately this franchise needs to stop patting itself on the back for the loser spot. I was sickened when Murphy complimented and said the team had a good season. Did you win a SB? No. Failure!!! End of story. This organization should be judged on SB's and nothing else.

I understand the whole super bowl or bust thing but gotta keep some things in perspective when evaluating seasons. One season being like 2013 where Aaron Rodgers missed significant action and the team had no answer at back up QB until Matt Flynn came back. I thought the team still fought very hard and never gave up in that epic comeback against Dallas so to me I would not consider that season a total failure even though a Super Bowl victory wasn't the end result.

I think it comes down to "is the team heading in the right direction" when evaluating these seasons and right now I don't believe we are. I think what's happening is with all of the heartbreak along with TT's cheap ways is catching up with him.

Despite this there is still "hope" and it's called Aaron Rodgers and he is the only reason why I recently secured tickets to the Seahawks game and contemplating getting tickets to Pittsburgh game. Mine as well see him in a Packer uniform as long as I can. It's certainly not because TT has built some unbelievable roster or what we call "defense". Thompson at this stage is literally "blood sucking" off Aaron Rodgers and the fact that others are blind to it I can't quite figure out.

But oh well.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
That's pretty much always the case isn't it? Is there ever any middle ground? A transaction or lack of transaction either works out or it doesn't.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
That's pretty much always the case isn't it? Is there ever any middle ground? A transaction or lack of transaction either works out or it doesn't.

I think a lot of people have given a lot of middle ground in regards to Thompson. I know I have in the past but this "they know better then us" and "we're just belligerent fans" is starting to crack. People want to win a damn Super Bowl and Thompson is consistently avoiding immediate needs on a team competing for a World Championship.

I'm fully vested in this Packer season but if his "big experiment" rolling these corners doesn't work it's time for him to go. That's where I'm at.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it comes down to "is the team heading in the right direction" when evaluating these seasons and right now I don't believe we are. I think what's happening is with all of the heartbreak along with
TT's cheap ways is catching up with him.
Time to end this alternative fact with some real data:
Here's how much each team spent in cash on player salaries between 2013 and 2016.
  1. Eagles: $613.9 million
  2. Broncos: $587.7 million
  3. Seahawks: $584.3 million
  4. Packers: $583.1 million
  5. Dolphins: $578 million
  6. Chiefs: $575.5 million
I will grant cash spent is not cap value.

ETA: btw, don't let the facts get in the way of a deeply held bias.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Time to end this alternative fact with some real data:

I will grant cash spent is not cap value.

ETA: btw, don't let the facts get in the way of a deeply held bias.

That's fine and dandy but thats pretty much money spent on his own guys. We're in the midst of a Super Bowl run with immediate holes to fill and he is just letting money sit there that will flip over to next year's available cap money. He could of used the money available today to plug holes.

I don't see any urgency other then hoping guys that played horrible somehow play great and don't get hurt.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[QUOTE="captainWIMM,

Infortunately neither Randall or Rollins were great during their rookie season but serviceable while benefitting of playing with a veteran #1 cornerback in Shields. They haven't proven to be capable of performing at a decent level without a leader though.

Gunter isn't agile enough to play in the slot, therefore he isn't an adequate replacement for Hyde.[/QUOTE]

Shields missed a good amount of 2015 too with concussions. And considering CBs tend to take a while to develop. I'd say Randall, Rollins, both had a very solid year by veteran cb standards. Great for rookies, one could say...

As far as Gunter not being agile enough... that may be true. But I think the physicality,ball skills, and tackling of Gunter will make up for any of his short Comings.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand the whole super bowl or bust thing but gotta keep some things in perspective when evaluating seasons. One season being like 2013 where Aaron Rodgers missed significant action and the team had no answer at back up QB until Matt Flynn came back. I thought the team still fought very hard and never gave up in that epic comeback against Dallas so to me I would not consider that season a total failure even though a Super Bowl victory wasn't the end result.

I think it comes down to "is the team heading in the right direction" when evaluating these seasons and right now I don't believe we are. I think what's happening is with all of the heartbreak along with TT's cheap ways is catching up with him.

Despite this there is still "hope" and it's called Aaron Rodgers and he is the only reason why I recently secured tickets to the Seahawks game and contemplating getting tickets to Pittsburgh game. Mine as well see him in a Packer uniform as long as I can. It's certainly not because TT has built some unbelievable roster or what we call "defense". Thompson at this stage is literally "blood sucking" off Aaron Rodgers and the fact that others are blind to it I can't quite figure out.

But oh well.

I think this franchise as constituted is not bad enough ( Obviously) to get key picks, nor good enough to win a SB.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think this franchise as constituted is not bad enough ( Obviously) to get key picks, nor good enough to win a SB.

I find it so bizarre that people are so insistent that this franchise, with the same GM/HC/QB, can't win a super bowl when they have literally done exactly that.

I get how some people feel like they could do more to improve their chances, but you can't say they can't do it when they've already done it.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it so bizarre that people are so insistent that this franchise, with the same GM/HC/QB, can't win a super bowl when they have literally done exactly that.
Hold on, let me clarify, for myself at least. I don't think the current team is good enough to win the Super Bowl as it sits right now. I'm not talking about 2010 or even 2018. I'd be very surprised if they were able to pull it off this year.

In fact, this is the first year since 2010 that I've felt they don't really have a realistic chance.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Shields missed a good amount of 2015 too with concussions. And considering CBs tend to take a while to develop. I'd say Randall, Rollins, both had a very solid year by veteran cb standards. Great for rookies, one could say...

As far as Gunter not being agile enough... that may be true. But I think the physicality,ball skills, and tackling of Gunter will make up for any of his short Comings.

Shields missed 4 games in 2015 (Carolina, Oakland, Arizona and Minnesota). The Packers were 10-4 with Shields in the lineup. Without him, the Packers lost 3 out of 4 of those games and the stats weren't "that pretty" during 3 of those games:

Carolina: Loss 29-37 Newton 297 yards passing, 3 TD's
Oakland: Win 30-20 Carr 276 yards 2 TD's
Arizona: Loss 8-38 Palmer 265 2 TD's
Minnesota: Loss 13-20 Bridgewater 99 yards 0 TD's

So without looking how Randall and Rollins individually graded out, I doubt they were "Great" in at least 3 of those 4 games that Shields didn't play in, based on the stats.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields missed 4 games in 2015 (Carolina, Oakland, Arizona and Minnesota). The Packers were 10-4 with Shields in the lineup. Without him, the Packers lost 3 out of 4 of those games and the stats weren't "that pretty" during 3 of those games:
I'm not surprised, Shields was a good corner. He's definitely missed.

Members online