Houston signs Ahman Green

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
To me, Green was on the down side of his career. At a low pay, he would have been worth keeping. But at 8 mill, no way.
I think even HE is going "CHA-CHING!!!" He's probably laughing at how the Texans were willing to put up that kind of money for an aging RB.
Don't get me wrong, i'm sure he will give his all for the money, but how much will his all really produce now?
With him we knew what we had, about a 1000 yard a year runner with diminishing skills. With a newer younger guy, who knows what we might get? It's a chance, but to me an exciting possibility.
Morency looked pretty good last year too, and might carry more of the load.

Cheese, you have to be the wisest person in this forum. You never let something like, hatred of the GM, tainte your perspective like some posters in this forum do. You weed out all the BS and shoot straight, and that is very admirable. The only thing I would add to your post is how many games did Green miss last year and the few years previous to last?

If I'm a GM putting out the kind of coin Green just got, I want a guy I know is going to be on the field for 16 games.
Wow.........thank you Dakota!!! I seriously mean that!
You are right too, about how many games Green missed. He did have some good production last year, WHEN he was able to play. The other thing that worrys me is, how well would that thigh muscle hold up if he WAS on the field more. If you are paying a guy 8 million dollars, you want him to be able to carry the most work load of your RB's. I don't think Green is able to do that anymore. I think his heart is there, but he's not physically where he was back when he put up 1800 yards in a season. If he was still able to do that, THEN i would have said do anything posible to keep him.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
heard it best on 1250 am out of milwaukee at the 2 pm show..

a sucker born every minute and green found his sucker

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are right too, about how many games Green missed. He did have some good production last year, WHEN he was able to play. The other thing that worrys me is, how well would that thigh muscle hold up if he WAS on the field more. If you are paying a guy 8 million dollars, you want him to be able to carry the most work load of your RB's. I don't think Green is able to do that anymore. I think his heart is there, but he's not physically where he was back when he put up 1800 yards in a season. If he was still able to do that, THEN i would have said do anything posible to keep him.[/quote]

It's no problem. I read all this TT hate on 5 different forums, and I can't believe so many people can't see what the man is building. Gone are the hot tub soaking panzies and they are being replaced with football players.

I do have a small moral dilemma with Green here though. We got the best of his career for below market value, and that does generate a problem with me. But not enough of a problem to justify 23 million for a 30 year old running back with asthma and a fumbling problem.

Reaction score
TT spoke on the Green issue:

"Through our talks (Sunday), it sounded like (Houston’s offer) was pretty good,” Thompson said. “We adjusted ours some, but it wasn’t enough. I reiterate, some people will make out like we didn’t want to sign the guy; we were trying to keep Ahman. That’s the thing with free agency, you never know. But we wish him well."

ARTICLE.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Ahman got a crazy payday. Good for him though.

bavpb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also hate the fact that he left, but TT's decision not to pay the money Houston pays is absolutely right, although Ahman deserves a big paycheck. For the sentimental side of it: We'll see Ahman in Green Bay in 2008 when the Texans come to play against the Pack.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are right too, about how many games Green missed. He did have some good production last year, WHEN he was able to play. The other thing that worrys me is, how well would that thigh muscle hold up if he WAS on the field more. If you are paying a guy 8 million dollars, you want him to be able to carry the most work load of your RB's. I don't think Green is able to do that anymore. I think his heart is there, but he's not physically where he was back when he put up 1800 yards in a season. If he was still able to do that, THEN i would have said do anything posible to keep him.

It's no problem. I read all this TT hate on 5 different forums, and I can't believe so many people can't see what the man is building. Gone are the hot tub soaking panzies and they are being replaced with football players.

I do have a small moral dilemma with Green here though. We got the best of his career for below market value, and that does generate a problem with me. But not enough of a problem to justify 23 million for a 30 year old running back with asthma and a fumbling problem.

I know.........people are panicking because Ted isn't jumping into the FA pool fast enough. Me, i'd rather have someone that takes the time to check on HOW DEEP THE WATER IS, before jumping in. I think alot of these early jumpers are gonna end up drowning.
Yes, we got Green for a bargan. To me, that was a good move by the Packers. I think had Green been healthy, he would have got a big payday from GB by a contract extension a few years ago. But he didn't remain healthy, and i think that was his downfall. They didn't want to tie up a ton of money, on a player that might not even be physically able to play. To me thats good business sense.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should be grateful that Ahman didnt go to the Vikings. That would have been worse than him going to Houston.
So far, Packers going to Minnesota hasn't hurt us. (Longwell and Sharper) In fact, wasn't it FUN to watch DD burn Sharper last year?
(I LOVED that!)

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerChick said:
We should be grateful that Ahman didnt go to the Vikings. That would have been worse than him going to Houston.
So far, Packers going to Minnesota hasn't hurt us. (Longwell and Sharper) In fact, wasn't it FUN to watch DD burn Sharper last year?
(I LOVED that!)

I saw that first hand, and laughed my *** off at my friend the Vikings fan who, before the game, kept saying how sharper was gonna shut driver down cuz he knows all his moves.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
PackerChick said:
(I LOVED that!)

I saw that first hand, and laughed my *** off at my friend the Vikings fan who, before the game, kept saying how sharper was gonna shut driver down cuz he knows all his moves.
LOL! I would have LOVED to been there with you!
Looks like Driver knows all of SHARPER's moves TOO! (Like how SLOOOOOOOW he is!) :thumbsup:

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerChick said:
(I LOVED that!)

Yes cheesey, you are right. I have that game on tape where Sharper got burned by DD. That was a beautiful sight.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
PackerChick said:
(I LOVED that!)

Yes cheesey, you are right. I have that game on tape where Sharper got burned by DD. That was a beautiful sight.
If i had that recorded, i'd make a LOOP of that one play, and watch it over and over!
Then i'd also make a copy, and mail it to SHARPER at the Vikings office! :thumbsup:

Members online

Latest posts