Houston signs Ahman Green

tabojc03

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if we offered the exact contract to Travis Henry (Who was contacted by the Packers before Green signed with Houston)? I would say it would be fair if not cheap market value. So why would people be disgusted with Ted's decision to not sign Green. If we can sign Henry away from Denver wouldn't that be an upgrade over Green? I'm interested in everyone's thoughts.

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if we offered the exact contract to Travis Henry (Who was contacted by the Packers before Green signed with Houston)? I would say it would be fair if not cheap market value. So why would people be disgusted with Ted's decision to not sign Green. If we can sign Henry away from Denver wouldn't that be an upgrade over Green? I'm interested in everyone's thoughts.

Henry is better than green anyways...I know we all had sentimental ties, but face it he was injury prone and washed up....He wasnt a long term answer, henry is better!!!

If he is available through trade though I say we get RICKY WILLIAMS!!!!

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, we will see what ol' Ted has up his sleeve this time.

I was roundly booed by all when I *suggested* the Packers franchise Green for this year, keeping his services. Then draft a back to learn the system and spell him this year. In 2008 you cut Green loose and you have it set. "Too much money" was the yell. Check the numbers Green signed for in Texas vs. the franchise numbers. Pretty close.

Lets see. What are the Packers options now? They can go to the free agent pool with an even older C. Dillon, J. Lewis who will want huge money from dwindling production, etc. Notice no one jumped on these folks in the first few days? Hmmmmmm?

So you tell a productive player in your offense to go to hell, the only significant free agent you have.

Ahman Green loved Green Bay. He was an All-Pro behind an aging Brett Favre. He could catch the ball. He could block. He could run in mud.

So it came down to money and Ted blinked when he could have kept him AND stayed way below the salary cap....by franchising him.

Lets hope we get Lynch(absolutely no guarantee there) or maybe find some fourth-rounder as some wags were suggesting over the weekend. Hello? There's a reason people fall to the fourth round.

Ted should open an antique store. He seems to like bargains, but for most of us, it appears to be junk.

sbp_387

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Willis McGahee, He is young and will be a verry good RB. We should get him.....
This way we can still go for a Saftey and a Wr in the first and second rounds.

Gattocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really dont like Henry, i watched him move around the league and have some flashes of light, but no better then green was in his injury era. Theres always Blaylock for cheap and hopefully a stud RB in the draft. We need a cut runner for the zone blocking defense, instead of a downhill runner.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm confident Verland can be one of our 2 backs. He looked better carrying the ball than Green did last year, anyhow. Also, Green dropped more passes last year than probably all his previous seasons combined. This isn't a big loss if we draft well.

tabojc03

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I was roundly booed by all when I *suggested* the Packers franchise Green for this year, keeping his services. Then draft a back to learn the system and spell him this year. In 2008 you cut Green loose and you have it set. "Too much money" was the yell. Check the numbers Green signed for in Texas vs. the franchise numbers. Pretty close.

Lets see. What are the Packers options now? They can go to the free agent pool with an even older C. Dillon, J. Lewis who will want huge money from dwindling production, etc. Notice no one jumped on these folks in the first few days? Hmmmmmm?

So you tell a productive player in your offense to go to hell, the only significant free agent you have.

Ahman Green loved Green Bay. He was an All-Pro behind an aging Brett Favre. He could catch the ball. He could block. He could run in mud.

So it came down to money and Ted blinked when he could have kept him AND stayed way below the salary cap....by franchising him.

Lets hope we get Lynch(absolutely no guarantee there) or maybe find some fourth-rounder as some wags were suggesting over the weekend. Hello? There's a reason people fall to the fourth round.

Ted should open an antique store. He seems to like bargains, but for most of us, it appears to be junk.

Wait, if everybody said that franchising Green was too much, why wouldn't Ted match an offer with similar first year costs. Because it was too much. Alot of people say the Pack needs to upgrade on offense so there will be some different stars on the offense. ESPN even made a reference of a similar situation in Indy letting go James. I can understand the the bitterness towards everyone, please calm down. Most of us enjoy your posts, don't let a few get u so defensive.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green got 8mil first year and 4 mil a year after that. Denver offered him 8 mil also but no guarantees after the first year.

It was more than Green even thought he was going to get in Free agency. Once the offer was made, a call was made to GB to see if they could match. Green said that he would have stayed even if the offer was close but it wasn't. The packers didn't budge much from their initial offer of 2mil. So green took the Houston offer. He signs this morning.

Green will keep his house in GB and live there in the off season. He is also keeping his lakehouse 45 min away from GB.

Even Green admits he was overpaid. He understands GB's position. The comments of the good and bad were toward what I had said before. Many of the Packers feel they are underpaid. Oh, well....then they shouldn't have signed their contracts.

Personally, I hate to see him go but I understand Ted's strategy and pure business sense of not overpaying. We may pay the same for a first rounder like Lynch but he will have more udpside for potential and longevity. I think Ted has a good strategy of not risking the long term good of the team to overpay for today. It will show in the next few years. We may not like the sentimental side of his decisions but his business acumen is IMO excellent.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Packers weren't willing to pay 5 mil this year. Green is going to make over 8 with the money given to him up front. What's your point? Your providing an opinion that he should've been franchised. If Green runs for 1500 yards and 5 to 8 touchdowns this year, then you can bring this back up. However if his production is similar to that of the Packers then you'll need to retract your statement.

They're many options left. Jamal Lewis and Travis Henry are both coming off better seasons than Ahman Green. Both are younger as well. Though Lewis has had nearly 2000 carries in his career which is a lot. A RB via the Draft is very likely. Rookie RB's come in and often find success early on especially with the blocking scheme the Packers run.

It's a little premature to act as if the sky is fallen because Ahman Green won't be in Green Bay no more. 1000 yards and 5 touchdowns is not a difficult number to obtain.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I hate to see him go but I understand Ted's strategy and pure business sense of not overpaying. We may pay the same for a first rounder like Lynch but he will have more udpside for potential and longevity. We may not like the sentimental side of his decisions but his business acumen is IMO excellent.

Exactly trippster...Green WAS great for the franchise, but he's 30 and has been slipping a lot ever since his 1800 yard season. The draft has some excellent rbs even if the FA market is suspect.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also thin Corey Dillon could be a year or two stop-gap. If we don't get Lynch in round one I would like to get Booker in two or three. I think he fits the West Coast offense well. I would not be upset to see us take a RB in round two and three since this is a very weak area IMO, especially now.

YERCELL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also thin Corey Dillon could be a year or two stop-gap. If we don't get Lynch in round one I would like to get Booker in two or three. I think he fits the West Coast offense well. I would not be upset to see us take a RB in round two and three since this is a very weak area IMO, especially now.
You're kidding right? He's washed up, ask Maroney.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Cory Dillon, Willis McGahee, Michael Bush, Tony Hunt, Marshawn Lynch are all the choices I would like to have.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me, Green was on the down side of his career. At a low pay, he would have been worth keeping. But at 8 mill, no way.
I think even HE is going "CHA-CHING!!!" He's probably laughing at how the Texans were willing to put up that kind of money for an aging RB.
Don't get me wrong, i'm sure he will give his all for the money, but how much will his all really produce now?
With him we knew what we had, about a 1000 yard a year runner with diminishing skills. With a newer younger guy, who knows what we might get? It's a chance, but to me an exciting possibility.
Morency looked pretty good last year too, and might carry more of the load.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me, Green was on the down side of his career. At a low pay, he would have been worth keeping. But at 8 mill, no way.
I think even HE is going "CHA-CHING!!!" He's probably laughing at how the Texans were willing to put up that kind of money for an aging RB.
Don't get me wrong, i'm sure he will give his all for the money, but how much will his all really produce now?
With him we knew what we had, about a 1000 yard a year runner with diminishing skills. With a newer younger guy, who knows what we might get? It's a chance, but to me an exciting possibility.
Morency looked pretty good last year too, and might carry more of the load.

Cheese, you have to be the wisest person in this forum. You never let something like, hatred of the GM, tainte your perspective like some posters in this forum do. You weed out all the BS and shoot straight, and that is very admirable. The only thing I would add to your post is how many games did Green miss last year and the few years previous to last?

If I'm a GM putting out the kind of coin Green just got, I want a guy I know is going to be on the field for 16 games.

ohiopacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you think about Antonio Pittman RB from Ohio State ? He ran a 4.4 / 40 at the combine . I watched him play for the Buckeyes , he's got speed to go the distance and has good hands . 2nd rounder - he might be gone by 3rd rd. :packbeer:

Members online

Latest posts