Griese to Chicago

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it's in amy way, shape, or form a fear of failure. He "failed" every year he didn't win the Super Bowl. To me, it's caring more about your team if you are honest and saying I'm tired, and might not want to do this anymore. And if I'm not 100% commited to it, then i would be letting down my team mates, the fans, the organization to just go through the motions in order to collect a big paycheck.
Is THAT a fear of failing? Don't think so.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Look Phil, the past 4 years the media has blown it out of proportion. Look, perhaps the first two years were a little overblown, but the fact is good QB's have retired at 33 and 34. So it is natural to wonder if Brett would stick around.

The past two years have been called for. It was a really hard time for Brett to loose his father, and the fact is that no one was sure if he would want to come back after that. Then last year, he lost his brother in law and found out his wife had breast cancer. He faced a road in which he had to decide if his career was worth staying away from home, where seemingly so many problems were arrising. You cannot blame Brett for the media questioning his retirement for the past 2 years. Maybe they overblew it the first couple of years, but it is a real issue for now (after what his family went through in Katrina), and the it has been an issue the previous 2 years.

The quote said that Brett wasn't sure he wanted the ball in crunch time, with the game on the line. That does not mean that he is afraid to fail. Phil I am sure you can attest to this, if the game is on the line, a person's competitive nature kicks in. If you are good at what you do, then you want the ball because you think you can win. Brett never said he didn't think he could win, Brett questioned whether he had that competitive nature in him still to want the ball. As Winni pointed out, real men with integrity are not afraid to question themselves. What Brett did was merly point out that if he felt he wasn't willing to have the ball in his hands and lead the Packers on a last drive, whether or not he should be playing.

Brett has had the ball in his hands during the final two minutes many times. He has won a few, and also lost a few. Why on earth would he be afraid of loosing when he already has lost a few before. Answer me that Phil. Even Brett knows he can't win em all, and he isn't concerned with winning them all. Just going out there and doing his best. But he questioned whether that was possible if he didn't have the spirit and drive to want the ball in crunch time. He never ONCE said he was afraid to fail, because Brett will be the first to tell you he has failed on many occasions.

And you say I consider Brett a hero? Well I consider Brett to be a source of inspiration. This man has faced more adversity than most do in a lifetime, yet he has bounced back every time. He has NEVER missed a game, when it would have been easy for him to. He could have skipped one after his father died, but no. He honoured his father in a way that his father would have been proud. His wife lost her brother, found out she had breast cancer, and Brett lost a friend in Reggie White. He never once took a game off to deal with those distractions. He showed up for work and by God he did it with a smile. Then his family went through hell during Katrina, and fighting for their lives. Did he skip any games? NO! Brett has played with broken thumbs, something I think you would appreciate since Grossman struggles to stay healthy. Is Brett a hero, well it depends on the person you ask. But in mordern times, Brett is certainly inspiration for people that no matter how hard things get, you can make it through. I said it before, I take exception to anyone challenging this man's will and desire. Brett Favre is Brett Favre, but one thing Brett Favre is not is a coward (which means being afraid to loose).

I never said that Favre is a coward. Why does everyone keep bringing up Fave's father, grandmother or other family members?

There are many, including myself, who have had just as much hardship in life as Brett Favre has had and probably more.
I lost my father and both of my grandmothers in a 6-month span.
My brother died with out any warning at a young age. My best friend died of AIDS at 32. My wife's mother died the same week that my daughter was born. My wife had 2 miscarriages in less than a year. On top of that she has some serious health issues and is having surgery again next Friday. Her 9th surgery since we were married.
My daughter’s appendix ruptured when she was 10, needed emergency surgery to have her intestines removed, cleaned and placed back inside and now has a ten-inch scar to prove it. You want to talk about heartbreaking.
We all have had to deal with life’s tragedies but we can't just decide to retire in our 30s with millions in the bank. We go back to work and try to put our lives back together. Spare me about Brett's personal troubles because I would trade places with his hard times in a heartbeat.

PackerSacker54

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Popcynical said:
Meh, he's not that great anyhow. Step up from what they had, but I'd still rather have Rodgers (or Favre obviously).

That is ridiculous. Aaron Rodger better than Brian Griese? :-? Give me a break. This is Homerism at it's finest. Favre 10 years ago was better, now I don't know, he's definitely better at throwing interceptions though.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerSacker54 said:
arrowgargantuan said:
Griese is doo doo.

You might want to check Griese's numbers( not too bad), but then again denial is the first sign of FEAR. :D

would i rather have Griese over a green QB, hell yes. but lets not go crazy and call him any good...mediocre might be a better adjective for him. maybe i'm crazy, maybe Bob Griese strikes FEAR into any defense he faces!! :wink:

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd rather GB had Chris Simms..over Aaron Rodgers..

oh well..will never happen!

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
I'd rather GB had Chris Simms..

the kid made some strides last year, but since i labeled him a future flop in college i need him to revert back to sucking in order for me to be right. i am that vain... :lol:

PackerSacker54

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
PackerSacker54 said:
arrowgargantuan said:
Griese is doo doo.

You might want to check Griese's numbers( not too bad), but then again denial is the first sign of FEAR. :D

would i rather have Griese over a green QB, hell yes. but lets not go crazy and call him any good...mediocre might be a better adjective for him. maybe i'm crazy, maybe Bob Griese strikes FEAR into any defense he faces!! :wink:

He's pretty good. If you're too blind to see it just because he'll be in a Bears uniform, then so be it. Ignorance is bliss. :wink:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is true gopack............maybe by August we will know who is the Packer QB this year...........maybe

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerSacker54 said:
arrowgargantuan said:
PackerSacker54 said:
arrowgargantuan said:
Griese is doo doo.

He's pretty good. If you're too blind to see it just because he'll be in a Bears uniform, then so be it. Ignorance is bliss. :wink:

c'mon Sacker. do you think i would have problems admitting you guys made a nice acquisition? i thought he stunk in Denver and Tampa...subsequently, i think he'll stink in Chicago, after grossman gets hurt of course. :wink:

he's definitely an upgrade over Orton though, can't deny that.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:

Cundiff is an upgrade over Orton. (For the n00bs who don't know I know, Yes, I know two different positions. :p )

PackerSacker54

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
PackerSacker54 said:
arrowgargantuan said:
PackerSacker54 said:
arrowgargantuan said:
Griese is doo doo.

c'mon Sacker. do you think i would have problems admitting you guys made a nice acquisition? i thought he stunk in Denver and Tampa...subsequently, i think he'll stink in Chicago, after grossman gets hurt of course. :wink:

He didn't stink in Denver and he had Tampa at 5-1 before he got hurt last season which is more wins than Brett Favre had in 16 games, but hey Orton won more games than "The Selfish One" too(ouch). I said Griese is pretty good and nothing more and he is. Sure he's not Favre, Elway, Marino good/great, but how many QB's are. I can see your standards being a little high, seeing as how you've been spoiled at the QB position for 15 years, which by the way will soon come to an end. I know you are really hoping Rex goes down because he's undefeated aginst your fudgies so far. I guess we'll just have to wait and see on this one.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerSacker54 said:
I can see your standards being a little high, seeing as how you've been spoiled at the QB position for 15 years

cut it out buddy! i'm a football fan first so this doesn't have anything to do with who's QB'ing for the Packers. Griese has reached 3k yards once in 6 or 7 years? maybe twice, i'll double check. those aren't favorable stats by any means my man. if you want to compare him to Favre last year then be my guest...you're setting the benchmark a little low if you ask me.

if you think he's good, fantastic. we'll see what he does for you guys if he gets on the field...if he performs above average, it wouldn't be the first time i was wrong.

PackerSacker54

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
PackerSacker54 said:
I can see your standards being a little high, seeing as how you've been spoiled at the QB position for 15 years

cut it out buddy! i'm a football fan first so this doesn't have anything to do with who's QB'ing for the Packers. Griese has reached 3k yards once in 6 or 7 years? maybe twice, i'll double check. those aren't favorable stats by any means my man. if you want to compare him to Favre last year then be my guest...you're setting the benchmark a little low if you ask me.

if you think he's good, fantastic. we'll see what he does for you guys if he gets on the field...if he performs above average, it wouldn't be the first time i was wrong.

Ohhh sweet denial.

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
PackerSacker54 said:

At least he's 2-0 against the Packers. lol

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Griese gets to compete for starter with a good team. Good for him.

The Bears have some needed insurance if Grossman gets hurt again. Good for the Bears.

The Bears also have a developmental guy in Orton for the future. Again good for the Bears.

The Bears are not worse in this pick up. It puts pressure on all three of their QB's. With the multi-year contract to Griese, Orton will have to earn heir apnt status again. The best outcome for the Bears is if Orton continues to improve to the point where the Bears can trade away one of the other 2 in 2007 or 2008.

PackerSacker54

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:

The Bears have some needed insurance if Grossman gets hurt again. Good for the Bears.

The Bears also have a developmental guy in Orton for the future. Again good for the Bears.

The Bears are not worse in this pick up. It puts pressure on all three of their QB's. With the multi-year contract to Griese, Orton will have to earn heir apnt status again. The best outcome for the Bears is if Orton continues to improve to the point where the Bears can trade away one of the other 2 in 2007 or 2008.

That's the way I see it. Very intelligent insight. Nice post. :D

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
PackerSacker54 said:
CaliforniaCheez said:

If it's how you see it why didn't you post it instead of waiting for a PACKER fan to?

;)

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
PackerSacker54 said:
CaliforniaCheez said:

If it's how you see it why didn't you post it instead of waiting for a PACKER fan to?

;)

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

-If an American said this quote instead of Yamamoto, it would be less poignant.

Members online

Latest posts