Green Bay Packers Free Agents thread

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
They have to spend 99% of the salary cap this year..so it will be spent...Havent we learned that the Packers will do what is best for the team? and not spend just to spend?

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think that Barnett has been officially released yet. Maybe after Chillar's release they're going to reconsider getting rid of him? Either that or they're still trying to trade him.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would Barnett resign? He can get more money, more years, and more playing time elsewhere. Barnett also has an ego and probably doesn't like being released in the first place.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Brandon Jackson
Jason Spitz
Daryn Colledge
Nick Barnett
Brady Poppinga
Justin Harrell
Brandon Chillar (injured)
James Jones?
Cullen Jenkins?
Mark Tauscher?
John Kuhn?

Ouch. I hope we have $ to at least extend some of the guys we have now like Clay Matthews. I will say I'd probably get rid of all these guys too (though I really like Kuhn but can't blame them if they part).

We're fine. There are a bunch of guys coming back from IR and guys who were brought in because of IR who will fit the bill quite well. The Packers are one of the few teams in the league who have the luxury of depth.

Chillarfan54

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Justin Harrell should have been cut a long time ago. He shouldn't have had a SB ring with us. AL Harris should, but w/e. It's in the past now.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does it seem to anyone else that we are cutting a TON of guys and money loose... and not pursuing anyone? This just kinda feels weird to me.

Feels weird? Feels like every other year lol.

Washington redskins are normally the free agent champions every year, look where that has gotten them. Trust in Ted. Remember the upcoming free agents.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Feels weird? Feels like every other year lol.

Washington redskins are normally the free agent champions every year, look where that has gotten them. Trust in Ted. Remember the upcoming free agents.
I do think that this is the most number of starters we've ever lost in FA. Depends on what you consider starters, but Jones started some games, Colledge was a starter, Jenkins was a starter, Jackson, though not a starter, was the main back on 3rd downs, Barnett was a starter up until he got hurt... Don't remember another time we lost so many, and so quick.

I fully trust TT, but this will be a real test to the depth he built.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see the bleeding stop as well. I think Ted needs to get on the offensive a bit more. I also trust Ted but it is a bit disconcerting seeing teams load up while we unload.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see the bleeding stop as well. I think Ted needs to get on the offensive a bit more. I also trust Ted but it is a bit disconcerting seeing teams load up while we unload.
Personally, I don't feel bad for any of the losses. We have replacements in house already for all the players leaving. Believe it or not, the player that will affect us the most if he leaves is Kuhn, as we'll be left with no proven 3rd down back. But then again, Starks is a great catcher out of the backfield, if he could develop better pass blocking, he might be a great 3rd down back.

Other than re-signing our guys, I don't see a better option in the market than Lang, Nelson, Neal. Well, not for the cost-benefit.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I don't feel bad for any of the losses. We have replacements in house already for all the players leaving. Believe it or not, the player that will affect us the most if he leaves is Kuhn, as we'll be left with no proven 3rd down back. But then again, Starks is a great catcher out of the backfield, if he could develop better pass blocking, he might be a great 3rd down back.

Other than re-signing our guys, I don't see a better option in the market than Lang, Nelson, Neal. Well, not for the cost-benefit.
Yes but we still stand to lose Jenkins and Jones.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Does it seem to anyone else that we are cutting a TON of guys and money loose... and not pursuing anyone? This just kinda feels weird to me.

I understand that feeling but it’s a familiar one, isn’t it? In fact after watching Ted Thompson for 6+ full seasons what we are witnessing is the “Thompson Way”. If we didn’t know better we’d think the Packers were in rebuilding mode. But of course we do know better as Thompson continues to work his plan. IMO that plan is the result of Ted Thompson having learned the lesson of the mistakes made by GMs before him, including his mentor, the rightly-revered Ron Wolf. What does the GM do after a Super Bowl winning season? Many GMs in that situation “fall in love” with their own aging vets and overpay them to stay. Or they gamble on an expensive big name FA or two. Some just sit back, resting on their laurels. What does Thompson do?

He sees the return of starters J. Finley, Morgan Burnett, Grant, and Brad Jones from the IR, as well as future starter Mike Neal. He sees Marshall Newhouse returning to provide depth and perhaps Anthony Smith too. That’s four or five starters returning to the World Champion Packers. Those players return to a team with such depth it can afford (IMO) to say goodbye to Jenkins, Jones, Jackson and Colledge. As well as to Barnett, Chillar, Poppinga, (I assume) Tauscher, and of course Harrell who all spent significant time on IR last season. Yes the Packers likely will lose starters Jenkins and Colledge - and James Jones who is a significant target in the offense. But four players returning from IR are likely to be starters this season (my guess: Brad Jones won’t start).

None of the significant losses and potential losses should be a surprise IMO. When Thompson extended Hawk and Bishop we should have known Barnett had played his last snap in Green Bay. He’s just too expensive to be a backup. When Thompson didn’t engage in significant talks with Jenkins, Jones, or Colledge last season many guessed they’d be gone. Thompson’s way is to extend the contracts of core players before they expire. When he doesn’t do so, I think it’s safe to say those players will only return at a bargain price since Thompson “allowed” the market to set their price. Thompson’s way also leans toward letting players 30-years and older go, with rare exceptions. Jenkins age and injury history no doubt played a big role in Thompson not actively pursuing him last season.

With all that in mind and knowing what a deep roster the Packers have, I guessed Thompson wouldn’t load up on draft picks because there just isn’t room on the roster. Instead, look what he’s done so far: He has added 15 UDFAs (as of 7-28 according to the Press Gazette) and of course, 10 draftees. This is the “genius” of Ted Thompson. The team he leads just won a Super Bowl and is among the favorites to do it again. Instead of resting on his laurels, Thompson is getting an up close and personal look at 25 players from the most recent draft eligible class.

Another aspect of Thompson’s approach is his discipline makes him much less likely to reach for players at positions of “need” than most GMs. A recent article discussed the battle for the OLB spot opposite Matthews. Boy, wouldn’t it have been great if there were a stud early in the draft that Thompson and staff loved? But there weren’t and unlike many in his profession he didn’t compound the problem by using a valuable pick hoping for lightening to strike.

But why would a GM add so many rookies to a deep roster that just achieved the ultimate goal? A quote from one of the many pre-Super Bowl XLV articles I read was from an interview with Mike Holmgren in a greenbaypressgazette article. As you no doubt remember on his way out of Green Bay Holmgren “stole” Ted Thompson and Mike Reinfeldt. (At least that’s how I remember it.) Mike said he thought they had the best front office in the NFL. Of course Holmgren was in charge but he solicited the views of his lieutenants. My favorite quote from the article is according to Holmgren, “… Thompson was known for often shooting down possible free agents to pursue by saying, “I can find better in the draft”. We have certainly seen that principle put into practice in Green Bay.

I’m certainly not saying Thompson and staff are done as they may indeed add a UFA or two. But Thompson won’t overpay and certainly won’t ever “mortgage the future”. So when Packers fans consider the proposition of adding other teams’ players to their team’s roster, I suggest they remember Thompson’s words before he assumed his duties as VP of Football Operations/GM in Green Bay: “I can find better in the draft”. And considering the acquisition of players like Tramon Williams and Sam Shields, he could edit that statement by including “in, and after, the draft”.

Most NFL fans love the rush of a big-name acquisition by their team so it’s understandable some Packers fans watch rivals pick up those players and feel left out. But look at the players Thompson and staff have already acquired as they stick to Thompson’s Way

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe the Packers have faith that Jolly will be reinstated and kept around. I have a feeling he will be, seeing that the sentence in his second 'mishap' was not much at all, probation and suspended sentence. The fact that it was the second time that happened, tells me it was hardly serious or else a judge and prosecution wouldn't agree to something that minimally punitive. But really, don't be surprised if Jolly is back.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe the Packers have faith that Jolly will be reinstated and kept around. I have a feeling he will be, seeing that the sentence in his second 'mishap' was not much at all, probation and suspended sentence. The fact that it was the second time that happened, tells me it was hardly serious or else a judge and prosecution wouldn't agree to something that minimally punitive. But really, don't be surprised if Jolly is back.
No faith whatsoever. He's not on the team's plans.

What they do have faith in is in their young guys, Mike Neal, CJ Wilson and Jarius Wynn, particularly Neal. Right now, they have 8 DL on the roster (Raji, Pickett, Neal, Wilson, Wynn, Green, Guy and Ross). Considering that they play 2 DL most of the time, I'd say we're good with the depth in there, particularly with the 6 first guys I listed.

But we are dangerously thin at ILB. Right now on the roster it's Hawk, Bishop, DJ Smith (rookie), Dyral Briggs, Robert François and Cardia Jackson. If either Hawk or Bishop goes down, the dropoff is HUGE. Maybe they re-sign Barnett, though he hasn't been officially released yet.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No faith whatsoever. He's not on the team's plans.

What they do have faith in is in their young guys, Mike Neal, CJ Wilson and Jarius Wynn, particularly Neal. Right now, they have 8 DL on the roster (Raji, Pickett, Neal, Wilson, Wynn, Green, Guy and Ross). Considering that they play 2 DL most of the time, I'd say we're good with the depth in there, particularly with the 6 first guys I listed.

But we are dangerously thin at ILB. Right now on the roster it's Hawk, Bishop, DJ Smith (rookie), Dyral Briggs, Robert François and Cardia Jackson. If either Hawk or Bishop goes down, the dropoff is HUGE. Maybe they re-sign Barnett, though he hasn't been officially released yet.

I agree on 5 of the first 6. Wynn does nothing for me. The others are just bodies. So I think we are five deep at DL.

Agree on depth at ILB.

Korey Hall has been signed by NO, Chiller cut.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree on 5 of the first 6. Wynn does nothing for me. The others are just bodies. So I think we are five deep at DL.

Agree on depth at ILB.

Korey Hall has been signed by NO, Chiller cut.
All I'm saying regarding the DL is that it's what I've heard the management thinks. In essence, we're losing Jenkins but getting Neal, who didn't play at all last year. The rest, it's the same roster as last year. But I can't really contradict your reasoning, I'm not really set one way or another with Wynn, and the rest are, indeed, just bodies...