Green Bay Packers 'every bit as physical' as Pittsburgh Steele

Reaction score
Steelers won both of those games, and it's in the books as such. You see fellows, you are missssssssing the point. The Steelers always have midseason swoons. Some years, it kills them, like last year. But, they also have another thing they do that is consistent - and that is finish strong in the end. Usually after Thanksgiving the Steelers turn on the afterburners. Some years like last year, the middle season swoon hurt them enough to put them out by the last game of the season. But, in years they click, like this year, they finished strong. 8-1 in the last 9 games is finishing strong, and there is one more big game tomorrow.

For the record, fellows. In 05, the Steelers started 7-2, then dropped to 7-5, before they went on an 8 game run to win the SB. In 08, the Steelers had a mid-season swoon as well, but ended up finishing strong at 12-4 and winning their last 4 to get their second trophy in 4 seasons.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
GB also lost games to weaker opponents due to 16 guys on IR and when Rodgers went out with concussion against the Lions. And he missed the game against the Patriots.

Yeah, we missed winning the division by one game. We beat the 1,2,3 seeds in the NFC ON THE ROAD. Packers are legit.

All teams in the SB are physical or they wouldn't be there. This is football right, not paper mache class.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Steelers won both of those games, and it's in the books as such. You see fellows, you are missssssssing the point. The Steelers always have midseason swoons. Some years, it kills them, like last year. But, they also have another thing they do that is consistent - and that is finish strong in the end. Usually after Thanksgiving the Steelers turn on the afterburners. Some years like last year, the middle season swoon hurt them enough to put them out by the last game of the season. But, in years they click, like this year, they finished strong. 8-1 in the last 9 games is finishing strong, and there is one more big game tomorrow.

For the record, fellows. In 05, the Steelers started 7-2, then dropped to 7-5, before they went on an 8 game run to win the SB. In 08, the Steelers had a mid-season swoon as well, but ended up finishing strong at 12-4 and winning their last 4 to get their second trophy in 4 seasons.
Right, the Steelers never lose because the other team is better, only because they let them.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
Steelers won both of those games, and it's in the books as such. You see fellows, you are missssssssing the point. The Steelers always have second half swoons. Some years, it kills them, like last year. But, they also have another thing they do that is consistent - and that is finish strong in the end. Some years like last year, the middle season swoon hurt them enough to put them out by the last game of the season. But, in years they click, like this year, they finished strong. 8-1 in the last 9 games is finishing strong, and there is one more big game tomorrow.

For the record, fellows. In 05, the Steelers started 7-2, then dropped to 7-5, before they went on an 8 game run to win the SB. In 08, the Steelers had a mid-season swoon as well, but ended up finishing strong to get their second trophy in 4 seasons.

I think the thing is, it seems like many Steeler fans are basically acting like the Steelers are this offensive juggernaut with an unbeatable defense that just steamrollered everyone, while the Packers are a bunch of pathetic losers who are lucky cuz they barely beat crappy teams. THAT is the attitude that frequently comes across.

When the reality is, both teams beat who they had to beat to be in the SB, both are good teams, both have strengths and weaknesses, and it'll be a hell of a game.

Reaction score
Right, the Steelers never lose because the other team is better, only because they let them.

Here's what I think. I think there are a lot of teams in the NFL that can win it all (probably about 8 of them this year). That what I believe. But, I also think the Steelers can beat any of those teams.

Reaction score
For the record, as for the teams that I think had a legit shot at the Superbowl trophy this year, i'd say New England, New Orleans (I actually thought them, instead of the Packers were going to be in the SB as a wildcard), Steelers, Baltimore, NY Jets, Packers, and Indy were all worthy.

I always felt Atlanta (who hasn't proved itself yet in the playoffs over 2 years), and Philly were going to have let downs. Chicago was an unknown because they definitely had a decent defense, but Cutler was unproven since he hadn't played in the playoffs. Everyone pretty much expected KC to lose their playoff game. Seattle was also a playoff sacrifice, and everyone expected it sooner than later. As for the would-could-shoulda lots of people felt the Chargers were going to win it all this year, and they sputtered at the start of the season and never overcame it, you could add Dallas as another one of those paper-tiger teams. None of those teams are there yet, though.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Any given Sunday. Two good teams going at it tomorrow. You play this game 10 times, you'd probably see 5-5 is my guess. It's anybody's guess who's gonna win, and why we play the games.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Here's what I think. I think there are a lot of teams in the NFL that can win it all (probably about 8 of them this year). That what I believe. But, I also think the Steelers can beat any of those teams.
The key word in your post.

Of those teams that can win a championship, no team is really better than any other because the outcome could be different in each game those teams play against each other. The Lions beat us, would you say they're better? It's an entirely subjective judgment to definitively say one team is better than another, until they play the game.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know what. If Steelers fans want to come in here and say that our Packers team will be a pushover, and is overrated, and whatever else they say. That's cool.

In fact, I hope the Steeler's are thinking the exact same thing right now. I hope behind closed doors they are saying that we are weak, that we are not physical, that we are a joke, that we don't stand a chance. I really do. And more than just saying it, I hope they believe it.

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And here's what I'm getting from all this........

The Packers aren't all that good. They have no running game. They beat the Bears because Cutler quit. They beat the Falcons because the Falcons are overrated. Their defense isn't all that good and Clay Matthews is overrated.

On the other hand.

The Steelers beat the almighty Ravens.......and the awesome Jets defense. Their defense can stop anybody whenever they want.

And here are some facts........

The Packers shut out the Jets on the road.......something the Steelers defense couldn't do twice on their own field.

The Packers defense also didn't allow Tom Brady to have a career day against them.

Oh........and I nearly forgot. The team that allows fewer yards always wins.........because points don't matter.

What's all that mean?

Nothing........that's why they play the game.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
You know what. If Steelers fans want to come in here and say that our Packers team will be a pushover, and is overrated, and whatever else they say. That's cool.

In fact, I hope the Steeler's are thinking the exact same thing right now. I hope behind closed doors they are saying that we are weak, that we are not physical, that we are a joke, that we don't stand a chance. I really do. And more than just saying it, I hope they believe it.
I actually haven't seen a whole lot of them saying we're a pushover or that our team is bad. Just that in every respect, their team is better.

Kool Aid must make a fortune in Pittsburgh.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
I think as long as the Packer D can contain Big Ben, and not allow him to make those exciting plays on the run, they'll keep him looking like a marginal QB - he just has this uncanny ability to avoid sacks like he avoids prosecution. Keep him in the pocket, he's fairly pedestrian. His O-line can be dominated up front.

Steeler Tim

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dolphins- packers lost and you guys should have lost as well. you know it.

Pats - You lost @ home 39-26 while the packers lost @ foxboro by 4 when we didnt have Rodgers.

Bills - You won 19-16 while we won 34-7

Jets - You lost (reg season) 22-17 @ home while we won 9-0 @ NY

Falcons - You won without Ben @ home 15-9 while we lost @ atl 20-17.

I really get tired of hearing about that Miami game when people don't know what they are talking about. Even if they would have given that fumble to Miami doesn't mean we would have lost.

If we had lost that game the media would have been talking about another call. Two plays before the Ben fumble play Mendy ran the ball and appeared to score a TD. The officials ruled it short. Replay showed that he was definitely in. So we all wait for Tomlin to challenge but he never does.

It turns out that in Miami, in the visiting coaches booth the only video feed you have is from their jumbo tron. Being loyal Dolphin fans they refuse to show the replay on the jumbo tron. Our coaches never get to see whether Mendenhall was in so we don't challenge. Meanwhile, on network tv, we are calling for Tomlin's head for not challenging.

We end up kicking a FG and winning the game but I have no apologizes for that game. Good teams tend to overcome bad calls or bad plays. That's what makes them good.

Reaction score
And here's what I'm getting from all this........

The Packers aren't all that good. They have no running game. They beat the Bears because Cutler quit. They beat the Falcons because the Falcons are overrated. Their defense isn't all that good and Clay Matthews is overrated.

On the other hand.

The Steelers beat the almighty Ravens.......and the awesome Jets defense. Their defense can stop anybody whenever they want.

And here are some facts........

The Packers shut out the Jets on the road.......something the Steelers defense couldn't do twice on their own field.

The Packers defense also didn't allow Tom Brady to have a career day against them.

Oh........and I nearly forgot. The team that allows fewer yards always wins.........because points don't matter.

What's all that mean?

Nothing........that's why they play the game.

This year, I think the Steelers, Ravens, Patriots, Jets, and Colts could beat Green Bay in a Superbowl. Green Bay would have beat KC with ease.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
It turns out that in Miami, in the visiting coaches booth the only video feed you have is from their jumbo tron. Being loyal Dolphin fans they refuse to show the replay on the jumbo tron. Our coaches never get to see whether Mendenhall was in so we don't challenge. Meanwhile, on network tv, we are calling for Tomlin's head for not challenging.

Same thing happened to the Packers in the first game against the Falcons in the regular season. Our coaches video feed to the booth was delayed 30 seconds or something and we didn't challenge the clearly incomplete Gonzales TD. Cost us the game, AND (if you want to go there and play what if) the #1 seed in the NFC.

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This year, I think the Steelers, Ravens, Patriots, Jets, and Colts could beat Green Bay in a Superbowl. Green Bay would have beat KC with ease.

Really ?

The Jets are so awesome they couldn't even score a single point on the Packers on their home turf but yet they'd beat them in a Super Bowl?

Ooooookay.

The Chiefs? The same Chiefs that goit pounded by the Raiders? Why even bring them up? The AFC West was as big a joke as the NFC West.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score

:rotfl:

I don't see the Ravens or Jets being able to put up enough points to beat the Packers no matter how good their defense is - their offenses pretty much sucked *** against teams with good defenses. The Colts were too inconsistent towards the end of the year, and Manning didn't have his best year - he was not able to carry his team like he usually can, and the Colts defense is ****.

The Pats beat them once during the season, but it was a close game (closer than the Steelers game) without their starting QB - New England had a crappy game, but some of that is due to the Packers' D - I would have worried as a Pats fan having to play the Packers again, frankly.

And the Steelers? That would be a toss-up like the Pats, too. But of those teams that you listed, I think only the Steelers and the Pats would have a chance. But even then, I wouldn't guarantee they'd beat the Packers, and I sure as hell wouldn't make any wagers on it.

Reaction score
Wow, you just lost all credibility man. LOL

I stick by it. You guys lost to the bears once, had two close call games with them too. They have something those other teams have too - DEFENSE! Flacco can put together good games, and they would just pound the ball down your throats in a run, and defensive grudge game. Their secondary is also good enough to shut down Rodgers, and maybe intercept him a few times. . Hell just like the Steelers.

Jets would let you run a little bit more, but once again they have a good secondary and did a good job shutting down the Patriots and Colts. You might have won a 9-0 game on the Jets, but they could beat you. In fact, only 9-0 against one of the two 3-4 defenses that the Packers has played is telling.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts