Grade Ted Thompson's Performance

Reaction score
I give him a B+ he did create this team very well by drafting players which is the way to do it. But i would of liked him to make a couple more moves in free agency that could have helped us a lot

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I give him a "haven't won a ring yet" grade.
He deserves to continue on his job IMO, but quite simply, there are GMs who have won a ring, and GMs who haven't.

LonelyPoet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No Grades

Ted Thompson's strategy of building a young team kept Packers off big success. When there were good players wandering around as free agents this guy was drafting rookies who gets injured on the third game. Packers always had problems with a receiver no real support for Donald Driver after Javon Walker went away. Line Backer does not exist. Nothing done to fix the problems in special teams. Above all that Ted Thompson is the one reason why Brett Favre played for Vikings. The mistakes or wrongs of Ted Thompson is unforgivable. Without Ted Thompson Packers should have had at least two Superbowl Performances with at least one win.:hunter::Arrgghh::spiteful:

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted Thompson's strategy of building a young team kept Packers off big success. When there were good players wandering around as free agents this guy was drafting rookies who gets injured on the third game. Packers always had problems with a receiver no real support for Donald Driver after Javon Walker went away. Line Backer does not exist. Nothing done to fix the problems in special teams. Above all that Ted Thompson is the one reason why Brett Favre played for Vikings. The mistakes or wrongs of Ted Thompson is unforgivable. Without Ted Thompson Packers should have had at least two Superbowl Performances with at least one win.:hunter::Arrgghh::spiteful:
Hi. How are you doing?
Take it easy, you just hit your head.
No, this is not 2006. This is 2010.
Yes. August.
No, man, I'm not kidding.
Yes, Fave did screw up once again in a crucial game. No, not the Rams. Not the Ealges. Not the Giants either. This time was the Saints. I know, right? After all that time, one would figure he would've learned by now...

But anyway, can you walk properly? Will you be OK? Great.
See ya!

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL, you can only laugh at comments like that...we are on the verge of having dominating consecutive seasons, IMO, and you can thank TT and MM for that...they have the team going in the right direction, and our future is looking brighter then most of the teams in the NFC...Lonely Poet, if you were the GM, you would make Matt Millen look like a genius.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
B

Would like to see some more moves in free agency to bring some more quality free agents who really want to win. Look at Reggie White, he put GB over the top. But I understand why he doesn't. Pros and Cons to free agents. They want an assload of money so you can't take care of the guys who have worked hard for you and deserve money. A lot of free agents are just looking for a payday and have no motivation to work hard after that. And usually free agents are free agents cause the other team decided they were expendable at that point in their careers and didn't work to extend their contract before they get to that point. Very rare to find a free agent like Woodson who can resurrect their game.

btw, I was at the Dallas-Philadelphia game back in the early 90s when Reggie White led the Eagles on an 11 sack spree on Troy Aikman at Texas Stadium. Damn he was impressive in his prime. RIP Reggie.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
B

Would like to see some more moves in free agency to bring some more quality free agents who really want to win. Look at Reggie White, he put GB over the top. But I understand why he doesn't. Pros and Cons to free agents. They want an assload of money so you can't take care of the guys who have worked hard for you and deserve money. A lot of free agents are just looking for a payday and have no motivation to work hard after that. And usually free agents are free agents cause the other team decided they were expendable at that point in their careers and didn't work to extend their contract before they get to that point. Very rare to find a free agent like Woodson who can resurrect their game.

btw, I was at the Dallas-Philadelphia game back in the early 90s when Reggie White led the Eagles on an 11 sack spree on Troy Aikman at Texas Stadium. Damn he was impressive in his prime. RIP Reggie.
No free agent during TT's period has ammounted to a SB ring for his team. Not one that the Packers were coveting, at least (Sharper).

I'm not saying I disagree. I would've liked for TT to be more agressive. But there were no FAs like Reggie out there.

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a tough one, it really depends on how you look at it. On one side we can say that Ted has made some great moves and slowly built a very solid team that can possibly contend for years to come. On the other hand, you can simply say that in the 6(?) years TT has been here, we have ONE playoff win. I like to go with the former, and give him a B+. How we fair this season will determine a lot.

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A, no plus because of no ring. He's put together a super bowl caliber team that is also one of the youngest, which means it will be a super bowl caliber team for years to come.

jkrelt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know Rome wasn't built in a day or anything; I understand the idea of recognizing potential talent through the draft. TT has done a A++ job at building a solid core group of players through the draft.

However, I think free agency is a valuable asset to any organization. I think that TT should utilize free agency more to integrate time tested players into the mix RIGHT NOW, as opposed to always building through the draft. A great example of this would be Morgan Burrett. I believe that he will be in the upper eschelon of DBs in the NFL in a few years. He is a good enough prospect to keep any cheesehead happy. However, the Pack have a lot of potential and right now one of the bigger detriments to the team is the thin secondary (especially in the nickel and dime). I like how he kept Tramon Williams, Will Blackmon, and Bigbi on the roster, but why not test the waters with some experience...like Cromartie (Jets), Rogers (Redskins), or at a long shot...Champ Bailey from the Broncos? All I'm saying is there is value to free agency and TT isn't taking enough advantage.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a great read comparing both the Packers' and the Vikings' administrations: Isn’t it nice to cheer for a competent team? « Ol' Bag of Donuts

Isn't it nice to cheer for a competent team?

I’ve spent the last hour going back and forth with myself about posting this; there are some of you who’d prefer we focus solely on the Packers and not touch the ongoing soap opera west of the Mississippi from them — well, I guess today, the soap opera is in Mississippi, but I digress. This one is just too funny. I can’t leave it alone.
So, a disclaimer: What follows below will be me mocking, ripping and generally calling out the gross incompetence with which the Minnesota Vikings conduct their day-to-day business. Not interested? Cool. We’ll have some more Packers stuff later today. But if you are, read on…

By now, you’ve probably heard the news that the Vikings dispatched three members of Brett Favre’s inner circle (Ryan Longwell, Steve Hutchinson and Jared Allen) to Hattiesburg, Miss., effectively in hopes of begging the quarterback to play this year. That’s an unprecedented step in modern-day sports, and as ESPN’s Kevin Seifert points out, it amounts to the Vikings asking players to clean up a mess their front office created.
How was that mess created, though? You’ve got to go all the way back to 2006, when Brad Childress decided to trot out his tough guy act. He told Daunte Culpepper that the quarterback’s plan to rehab his torn ACL on his own terms – in a HealthSouth club in Florida, if I remember correctly – weren’t going to fly. That led to a long standoff that included Culpepper e-mailing members of the media, Childress publicly flagellating the quarterback and the Vikings eventually traded him to Miami, as Childress crowed about his “culture of accountability” and likened the Culpepper episode to him standing up to Terrell Owens in Philadelphia.
Problem was, Childress had no suitable plan to replace Culpepper, who’d had one of the greatest seasons in NFL history just two years before. He drafted Tarvaris Jackson, and threw his support behind the QB in what’s still one of my all-time favorite attempts by a coach to dress up a situation. Asked after OTAs in 2006 how his new starting QB looked, Childress’ first response was to praise Jackson, as offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell did, for his breathing techniques while calling plays in the huddle.
And when Jackson waffled on the field, Childress – Mr. Culture of Accountability – didn’t stand by his handpicked QB. The guy who’d supposedly made his reputation by grooming quarterbacks benched Jackson after bad games, turned to journeymen like Gus Frerotte and Kelly Holcomb when he struggled and sat Jackson at the first sign of an injury. He’s still never started more than 12 games in a season, and the Vikings are still asking themselves if he can play. Remember, Childress created the need for a QB by standing up to Culpepper, which was probably the right decision, and throwing his support behind Jackson – a move he clearly regretted. And the Vikings’ goofy front-office structure – their famous Triangle of Authority – left Childress with more power than a rookie head coach should have (Seriously? Culture of Accountability? Triangle of Authority? Is there someone from George H.W. Bush’s speechwriting staff working for this team?).
Anyway, we know what happened from there: Jackson failed, ticket sales dwindled and Childress’ job security weakened as the QB plan he’d crafted didn’t plan out. So when Brett Favre became available in 2009, with the Vikings still struggling to sell tickets despite coming off a division title and Childress facing a make-or-break year, he cashed in his chips.
He told Favre to take as much time as he wanted, even after Favre told the Vikings ‘no’ not once, but twice. He let Favre skip training camp, famously picking up in his SUV from the airport and driving him to Winter Park. Is it any surprise, then, that reports surfaced late last year of Childress and Favre clashing over how to run the offense, with Childress’ button-downed ways cramping Favre’s gunslinger style?
And we’ve been over this next part many times, but after this episode, how does Childress run his team with a straight face? He got on Adrian Peterson’s case for skipping OTAs, but he lets Favre – a player on the Vikings’ roster – skip camp, and then excuses players from practice to beg him to come back. And this is all for a soon-to-be 41-year-old quarterback who hasn’t put together two straight productive seasons since 2003-04.
Compare that – or contrast it – rather, to how the Packers handled Favre. Seeing the end of his run was near, they drafted Aaron Rodgers with plenty of time to groom him while Favre was still playing. They got one more season of efficient play out of Favre in 2007, riding his renaissance to the NFC Championship Game, where Bad Brett made his customary January appearances.
And when Favre retired in March, only to waffle a month later, general manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy told Favre they’d be willing to welcome him back, on one condition: He had to be in 100 percent, and they had to know. That was too much for the quarterback to promise, so they cut ties with Favre, damn the PR beating it would bring them, and moved forward with Rodgers.
Aside from the marketing deal they offered Favre – which got construed by his camp as a bribe to stay retired – I can’t see too many missteps in the way the Packers played this. They made a smart football decision by drafting Rodgers. They made a smarter one by sticking to their guns with Favre, even though his Avenger World Tour saw him make a victorious return to Lambeau last year. And they’ve been rewarded heading into the 2010 season with a 26-year-old QB who’s blossoming into one of the game’s elite passers and is leading a championship-caliber offense.
What if Thompson and McCarthy had played it the way Childress did? They might have been roped into two years, maybe more, of Favre’s waffling, all while Rodgers’ original contract expired and the QB fumed after the Packers gave Favre his job back. And they would have perpetuated a situation that Packers executives have said was becoming untenable – Favre thinking he’d earned the right to do whatever he wanted.
We’ve bashed Ted Thompson a fair amount around here, and he still takes – and will continue to take – grief for his dour personality. But give Thompson credit: Faced with the toughest decision he’ll likely ever have to make as a GM, he did right by his team and stuck to his call.
I’ve said it before, but that kind of stuff makes me proud to be a Packers fan. It means something to cheer for a team that conducts itself with some integrity – and we could go on all day about the Vikings’ other missteps there – and from a football standpoint, it’s sure nice to know that the men in charge have a better plan than kowtowing to an aging QB.
And when it’s a Tuesday afternoon in August and your team is supposed to be practicing, it’s awfully nice to know where your most important player is going to be.

–Gene Bosling

John

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I give Ted a solid "A".

In his now sixth year, he has transformed the roster from an aging and thin to one of the NFL's youngest and deepest. He has drafted or signed as a free agent many elite players:

Rodgers
Collins
Woodson
Finley
Matthews
Sitton
Jennings

and several who will probably get there shortly:

Bulaga
Raji

As a result, the best players on the roster are young and on the upside of their careers (with the exception of Woodson).

He made the bold and correct move of trading Favre (after he unretired) and replaced him with a guy 14 years younger, but who could be equally as talented. He resisted to temptation to live in the past and move forward.

He is quick to fix problems and is bold in changing out coaches or groups of coaches who don't perform as they should.

He has resisted the temptation to overspend in the free agent market on the marquis free agents, focusing instead of developing from within or signing lesser known free agents.

He has gotten to the playoffs in 2 or the past 3 years and has a roster capable of doing the same for the next few years. He has been honored as the NFL Executive of the Year in a vote of his peers.

He respects the tradition of the Packers brand and works to uphold it.

And, if he wins a Super Bowl he moves from an "A" grade to an "A+" grade.
I give him an "A" as well. I love how he's consistently kept the Packers as one of the youngest teams in the league. He knows when to "hold'em and when to fold'em" so to speak when it comes to players and coaches. He's built a solid young, deep team that can compete for a Super Bowl year in and year out.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A based on where we are and how we have plugged in players when others go down.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
ted thompson gets an A. he didnt get people like cromartie who is on the jets cuz HELLO he is a troublemaker. i believe ted looks at personality as well as desire to win and motivation to learn.

Members online

Latest posts