Game 16 -- Vikings rematch [pregame and post game thread]

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad that we're 12-3, but this team reminds me a bit too much of the 2019 team which won ugly and not convincingly. Sure, I'd rather win ugly than lose, but how you win does matter. There are exceptions, but teams that limp through the regular season with a lot of close wins usually don't win super bowls. Our close wins and relatively small point differential are the reasons why some of the advanced metrics don't think that we're as good as our record.

Let's take a closer look at point differential. Although point differential isn't everything, it matters. In the last ten years (since 2011) there have been 25 teams that finished with a record of 13-3 or better. As of right now, the 2021 Packers (+59 PD) would have the worst point differential of any of those teams. Maybe we'll blow out the Vikings and Lions and it'll improve, but that's where we are now. The second worst is actually our 2019 square at +63. The next worst was the 2017 Steelers who were at +98, significantly better than ours. So even if you discounted week 1 of this season we would have the second-worst point differential of all 25 teams. The average PD of those 25 teams is 156, so 100 points better than we are now.

Right now, we're 11th in point differential, and only three teams in the last 20 years have won the Super Bowl when outside the top ten (2007 Giants, 2011 Giants, 2012 Ravens). We'll see what happens. This team is very talented and I'm certainly not counting them out. But I was feeling a lot more optimistic a few weeks ago about our chances than I am now.

With all the parity in the league this year, I'd suspect the leagues' PD has gotta be lower than normal.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With all the parity in the league this year, I'd suspect the leagues' PD has gotta be lower than normal.
That is probably true, there definitely aren't any juggernauts this year in either league. But the simple rating system, which basically weighs margin of victory and strength of schedule (thus accounting for a lower PD than normal across the league) has us 6th in NFC and 10th overall.

D

Deleted member 6794

Although I agree with the premise of your post, In my view this team is playing steadily worse instead of better the last few weeks. They were lucky to win, and probably should have lost to two beat up and inferior teams the last couple of weeks. Interesting comments I saw about Barry and the defense recently. The guy who is a packer writer don't know his name right now, says the problem is that opponents have had enough film now to figure him and his defense out. We'll see.
At any rate the way this team is playing now will not work in the playoffs. We keep waiting for them to play their best game, but maybe this is who and what they are.

The Packers have actually had trouble closing out games over the last two weeks but they played pretty well for the majority of three quarters against the Ravens and Browns leading by 14 and 12 points respectively. I agree they need to clean that up though.

There is no doubt that the Packers are a good team, I think what has me and others concerned is the same thing that has plagued them in the last 2 NFCCG's, are they good enough to beat another team that is playing really well? The Cowboys, Bucs and Rams are playing good football, as of now. The Packers haven't really played good football since they beat......??

True, the Bucs looked like a juggernaut while being shut out by the Saints two weeks ago ;)

Whether one thinks that it is important for the Packers to have a bye and the guarantee of playing all playoff games at home, I think its almost equally important to win these last 2 games and ride that momentum into the second round of the playoffs.

I would prefer the Packers to secure the #1 seed this week with the Cowboys losing, resulting in the final game at Detroit being absolutely meaningless.

They have also played alot of top 10 scoring offenses in the last month or so. Whatever the issues..they need to address them quickly!

Actually the Packers have faced only one top 10 scoring offense over the last five games in the Rams.

However over the last 3 games, they have struggled on Special Teams in 2 of them, defense in all 3 and offense in 2 of them.

I agree the Packers offense struggled in the fourth quarter vs. the Ravens and the second half vs. the Browns but they didn't the entire game.

I'm quite sure the league's point differential currently sits at zero, just like every other season :D

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I worry about my team, because they're my team :) One one hand, it's like Captain said, they did play pretty well for much of those games leading by double digits for a lot of it. They need to carry it through. That is the frustrating part. They seem to get to a point where it's like floundering on offense and giving up big chunks on defense is ok as long as they have any lead at all and then when that lead is about to go away, they make one more stop.

They always start slow, then seem to dominate, then seem to coast. It makes me nervous, but I also believe they're pretty good and the team you saw in the 2nd half of the browns isn't the team you'll see in the playoffs.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This game shifted more weight to the worry side of things seeing Big Dog added to the Covid list. Here's to hoping he is not showing symptoms and the new five day rule regardless of how he tests moving forward will have him back for game.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have actually had trouble closing out games over the last two weeks but they played pretty well for the majority of three quarters against the Ravens and Browns leading by 14 and 12 points respectively. I agree they need to clean that up though.

True, the Bucs looked like a juggernaut while being shut out by the Saints two weeks ago ;)

I would prefer the Packers to secure the #1 seed this week with the Cowboys losing, resulting in the final game at Detroit being absolutely meaningless.

Actually the Packers have faced only one top 10 scoring offense over the last five games in the Rams.

I agree the Packers offense struggled in the fourth quarter vs. the Ravens and the second half vs. the Browns but they didn't the entire game.

I'm quite sure the league's point differential currently sits at zero, just like every other season :D
Thanks for your input! Your OPINION means NOTHING to me!! We are all fans of The Green Bay Packers. I am just here to have a civilized conversation. I don't need you, Tyler SSchind or Guacamole ripping everything I say! If you don't agree with my opinion..move on!! I don't attack any of you for your OPINIONS!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this (below) is true:

I am just here to have a civilized conversation.

Then the rest of this (below) contradicts that:
Your OPINION means NOTHING to me!! We are all fans of The Green Bay Packers. I am just here to have a civilized conversation. I don't need you, Tyler SSchind or Guacamole ripping everything I say! If you don't agree with my opinion..move on!! I don't attack any of you for your OPINIONS!

Unless I missed Captain being Captain - which to be fair (his approach sometimes) has rubbed me wrong a time or two over the years no doubt, all he did was correct a claim you made that isn't opinion but fact: the number of teams in the top 10 scoring offenses over the last five weeks. You won't get any argument from anyone here that the team is not trending the right direction overall and especially the defensive side of the ball.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for your input! Your OPINION means NOTHING to me!! We are all fans of The Green Bay Packers. I am just here to have a civilized conversation. I don't need you, Tyler SSchind or Guacamole ripping everything I say! If you don't agree with my opinion..move on!! I don't attack any of you for your OPINIONS!

Im sure it wasn't an attack on your opinion, Cpt is just the forum's stats guy. Which teams are you referring to when you say the top 10 scoring offenses? Ive just checked who we have played in Nov/Dec and cant say that I can say with certainty that these teams have top 10 scoring offenses

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For reference since topic of discussions was breeched. Current Top 15:

Team2021Last 3Last 1HomeAway2020
1Dallas30.534.756.038.423.524.7
2Tampa Bay29.521.732.032.127.130.8
3Buffalo28.530.333.025.930.829.9
4Kansas City28.139.336.026.131.028.5
5Indianapolis28.026.722.028.527.427.9
6LA Rams27.726.730.027.028.423.3
7Cincinnati27.326.341.027.027.719.4
8LA Chargers27.231.329.030.323.724.0
9Philadelphia26.531.334.026.926.320.9
10Arizona26.317.016.021.730.325.6
11New England25.917.321.028.922.420.4
12Minnesota25.625.323.023.627.426.9
13Green Bay25.533.324.029.721.931.5
14San Francisco25.124.717.025.724.623.5
15Tennessee23.817.720.021.926.029.6

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this (below) is true:

Then the rest of this (below) contradicts that:

Unless I missed Captain being Captain - which to be fair (his approach sometimes) has rubbed me wrong a time or two over the years no doubt, all he did was correct a claim you made that isn't opinion but fact: the number of teams in the top 10 scoring offenses over the last five weeks. You won't get any argument from anyone here that the team is not trending the right direction overall and especially the defensive side of the ball.
Everything I say, you 2 attack me for it!!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everything I say, you 2 attack me for it!!
We are ALL Packers fans!

I think you're grossly misinterpreting a reply as an attack. Wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong if someone truly came at you and wasn't just disagreeing (opinions) or correcting (facts) point it out - quote or cite the comment number here in the thread or elsewhere; as that shouldn't be happening.

We are all Packer fans here...well mostly, some are just haters LOL but for sure most everyone is. However, that doesn't in anyway shape or form mean we all agree all the time. Shoot @Pokerbrat2000 and I go back and forth sometimes on things enough I swear I think we forget what items we agree on or disagree on at times. @Dantés and I love to unpack college prospects for the draft...somedays we agree others we are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Shoot @Pokerbrat2000 and I go back and forth sometimes on things enough I swear I think we forget what items we agree on or disagree on at times.
In all seriousness though, this is a very accurate statement, at least for me. Not sure if its bad memory, selective memory or just the way I roll. I don't really care that Person X doesn't agree with me on 2 straight topics of discussion and I probably won't remember that, when Person X agrees with me on the 3rd. As long as its a friendly and civil discussion, I respect others opinions and I hope they do the same with mine.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe the negativism on here. Well, actually I can because I've been here long enough.

Go back and look at any of our recent Super Bowl seasons. We had let downs in all of them:
1996 - we squeaked by a few teams sandwiched around the bye, and then dropped two in a row to the Chiefs and Cowboys.
1997 - there was a lull in that season too. I remember (I think the Patriots game) where Green Bay all of a sudden started using a no-huddle offense and everything seemed to finally turn around
2010 - a 10-6 season had a few low points. Obviously losing Rodgers for two games hurt but that wasn't the only speed bump.

- The Bucaneers just got shut out at home two weeks ago.
- The Cardinals are losing

Basically every team has hit a rough patch. The Packers have continued winning during their rough patch, and some of you continue to see the sky falling. Are things perfect? Absolutely not. We may indeed lose in the playoffs as 31 of 32 teams will not win the SB. However, the sky is not falling.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Basically every team has hit a rough patch. The Packers have continued winning during their rough patch, and some of you continue to see the sky falling. Are things perfect? Absolutely not. We may indeed lose in the playoffs as 31 of 32 teams will not win the SB. However, the sky is not falling.
As someone who probably worries more than I should, about the Packers, I agree with your post. I can only speak for myself, but I have recognized how good this team is, but I am also not going to get over confident, especially based on the inconsistencies we have seen from all 3 units of the Packers this season.

As one of you keeps saying "On any give Sunday....."

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As one of you keeps saying "On any give Sunday....."

I was the one saying this....however I've since been educated that while that is true for all other 31 teams in the NFL, the Packers are truly a worthless organization, with a terrible coach and an even worse leader in Gute. We've never actually won a game in about 20 years, only have had our opponents lose games we happened to be playing in. All we have to do is hope and pray that come the playoffs three or four opponents choose to lose the game we might be in.....then we are champs baby!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was the one saying this....however I've since been educated that while that is true for all other 31 teams in the NFL, the Packers are truly a worthless organization, with a terrible coach and an even worse leader in Gute. We've never actually won a game in about 20 years, only have had our opponents lose games we happened to be playing in. All we have to do is hope and pray that come the playoffs three or four opponents choose to lose the game we might be in.....then we are champs baby!
I think even after we whip the Vikings on Sunday night, you are going to have the Debbie Downers going full metal jacket!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget the REFS!! After all, the fans of the purple turds believe the Packers would never beat them without the REFS help!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
In all seriousness though, this is a very accurate statement, at least for me. Not sure if its bad memory, selective memory or just the way I roll. I don't really care that Person X doesn't agree with me on 2 straight topics of discussion and I probably won't remember that, when Person X agrees with me on the 3rd. As long as its a friendly and civil discussion, I respect others opinions and I hope they do the same with mine.

Lol