Game 16 -- Vikings rematch [pregame and post game thread]

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just want to see how they play next. But I do hope Barry has some kind of plan and that he shows he can adjust during the game.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although I agree with the premise of your post, In my view this team is playing steadily worse instead of better the last few weeks. They were lucky to win, and probably should have lost to two beat up and inferior teams the last couple of weeks. Interesting comments I saw about Barry and the defense recently. The guy who is a packer writer don't know his name right now, says the problem is that opponents have had enough film now to figure him and his defense out. We'll see.
At any rate the way this team is playing now will not work in the playoffs. We keep waiting for them to play their best game, but maybe this is who and what they are.

Who they are is a team that has found ways to win - if that is what they are I'll take it regular season, post-season or any season.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although I agree with the premise of your post, In my view this team is playing steadily worse instead of better the last few weeks. They were lucky to win, and probably should have lost to two beat up and inferior teams the last couple of weeks. Interesting comments I saw about Barry and the defense recently. The guy who is a packer writer don't know his name right now, says the problem is that opponents have had enough film now to figure him and his defense out. We'll see.
At any rate the way this team is playing now will not work in the playoffs. We keep waiting for them to play their best game, but maybe this is who and what they are.

Who they are is a team that has found ways to win - if that is what they are I'll take it regular season, post-season or any season.
That's all well and good now in the regular season against subpar opponents with lousy quarterbacks. It will not work in the playoffs against top quarterbacks in the playoffs or top teams in the playoffs we need.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's all well and good now in the regular season against subpar opponents with lousy quarterbacks. It will not work in the playoffs against top quarterbacks in the playoffs or top teams in the playoffs we need.

So wait...all of our wins have been against subpar opponents and lousy quarterbacks. I amend my whole entire statement - they are not a team that has figured out ways to win games, 12 times teams have figured out ways to lose.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not what I said at all you're missing the point. What we seen lately will not last long in the playoffs.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not what I said at all you're missing the point. What we seen lately will not last long in the playoffs.

I'm well aware they didn't play their best. Also well aware they've played some better teams quite well also. The defense should concern anyone with their regression. I am not worried too much about the offense personally - OL guys like Newman and Yosh appear to be hitting their stride and despite a rough game out of the TEs they found ways to punch the ball in the endzone a decent amount. Also our STs is trending upwards finally....although that for sure didn't take much, however is a valid observation the same as saying the defense is trending down.

Either way, folks pretending Green Bay isn't where they deserve just don't understand the parody of the NFL - especially this year (this line is not directed at you specifically for the record, I actually sense you know how good they are, but the concern is recency bias and there is validity there).

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just put 4 players on Covid list. Braden, Galeai, Amari Rodgers and Summers. Luckily, none of them are starters. Just hoping it doesn't spread through the locker room. This is not good.
Oh no, our ST might suck, now!! :p
- I'm hoping Barry watches the Cleveland game film and figures-out why there were unoccupied lanes and game-plans to prevent getting gouged, again.
- Stopping Jefferson should be do-able (double team, more zone, ???), but will that allow someone else 1-on-1 coverage and torch the D?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Either way, folks pretending Green Bay isn't where they deserve just don't understand the parody of the NFL - especially this year (this line is not directed at you specifically for the record, I actually sense you know how good they are, but the concern is recency bias and there is validity there).
There is no doubt that the Packers are a good team, I think what has me and others concerned is the same thing that has plagued them in the last 2 NFCCG's, are they good enough to beat another team that is playing really well? The Cowboys, Bucs and Rams are playing good football, as of now. The Packers haven't really played good football since they beat......??

I think they definitely have the ability to play better, especially if they get some starters back from IR. The question is will they have both of those things happen?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no doubt that the Packers are a good team, I think what has me and others concerned is the same thing that has plagued them in the last 2 NFCCG's, are they good enough to beat another team that is playing really well? The Cowboys, Bucs and Rams are playing good football, as of now. The Packers haven't really played good football since they beat......??

I think they definitely have the ability to play better, especially if they get some starters back from IR. The question is will they have both of those things happen?

Jokes aside, they played great against the Rams I'd say was the most complete game so far. While they haven't made anyone feel all warm and fuzzy of late (essentially Vikings game till now) here we sit still finding ways to score when we need to and getting big plays from our otherwise lately porous defense. I have as much hope as I have worry about them personally.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just remember Rams game was after the Vikings...so three out of our last four have for sure not been pretty on our part.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jokes aside, they played great against the Rams I'd say was the most complete game so far. While they haven't made anyone feel all warm and fuzzy of late (essentially Vikings game till now) here we sit still finding ways to score when we need to and getting big plays from our otherwise lately porous defense. I have as much hope as I have worry about them personally.
I agree with that … but it’s not a comfortable feeling. I never think the Packers are playing an opponent they can’t beat… unfortunately I never go into a game thinking it’s a relatively sure thing either. Maybe that’s entitled thinking, but it would be nice to expect a dominant win once in a while lol.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
it would be nice to expect a dominant win once in a while

I definitely don't expect the Packers to dominate the Vikings, the Lions, is another story. Whether one thinks that it is important for the Packers to have a bye and the guarantee of playing all playoff games at home, I think its almost equally important to win these last 2 games and ride that momentum into the second round of the playoffs.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Packers have played the NFC west and AFC North this year. 2 of probably the top 3 divisions in the league and always 8-0 against those 2 divisions. Unless you want to argue the other teams played bad 8 times I don't think anyone should ask that question.

Hell the fact that the Packers got some of those wins while playing poorly themselves should be a bonus

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers have played the NFC west and AFC North this year. 2 of probably the top 3 divisions in the league and always 8-0 against those 2 divisions. Unless you want to argue the other teams played bad 8 times I don't think anyone should ask that question.

Hell the fact that the Packers got some of those wins while playing poorly themselves should be a bonus
Like I said, the Packers being 12-3, means they are a top team for sure. However, they really haven't impressed me as a team that is going to be that hard to beat by a team that is playing their best football of the season. IF the Packers can take their game up a notch on both offense and defense, then they are going to be very hard to beat. I think most of us are just waiting for that moment to happen, as well is it happening for more than a Quarter, a half or a game.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said, the Packers being 12-3, means they are a top team for sure. However, they really haven't impressed me as a team that is going to be that hard to beat by a team that is playing their best football of the season. IF the Packers can take their game up a notch on both offense and defense, then they are going to be very hard to beat. I think most of us are just waiting for that moment to happen, as well is it happening for more than a Quarter, a half or a game.
I guess I'll just ask what "a team playing their best football" actually looks like?

Cause if it's about how the team was playing coming into the game (Cardinals) and the Packers winning they have that covered.

If it's about how the team has played all season it would seem the Packers have that covered as the Rams would be the #1 seed had GB not beaten them

If it was about beating quality teams all season long it would seem the Packers have that covered going 8-0 against the NFC West and AFC North

I honestly am asking cause I see that get said almost every year and "they have played a complete game" or "the haven't played even a full 4 quarters on both sides" almost always just comes off as "well they aren't blowing out teams so that sucks"

I'm not saying that's what you're saying but simply asking for opinion of what it looks like

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I guess I'll just ask what "a teams best football" actually looks like?

Cause if it's about how the team was playing coming into the game (Cardinals) and the Packers winning they have that covered.

If it's about how the team has played all season it would seem the Packers have that covered as the Rams would be the #1 seed had GB not beaten them

If it was about bearing quality teams all season long it would seem the Packers have that covered going 8-0 against the NFC West and AFC North

I honestly am asking cause I see that get said almost every year and "they have played a complete game" or "the haven't played even a full 4 quarters on both sides" almost always just comes off as "well they aren't blowing out teams so that sucks"

I'm not saying that's what you're saying but simply asking for opinion of what it looks like
I would say the closest example of what they look like to me is the 2019 team. They have won a lot of close games and looked terrible in a few as well. Really not being a dominant team in any phase of their game consistently all season. If you think they looked like a Super Bowl champion against the Cardinals and the Rams, I might agree with you. However over the last 3 games, they have struggled on Special Teams in 2 of them, defense in all 3 and offense in 2 of them. I just don't see that formula working when it comes to beating Dallas or Tampa Bay right now. Things can change quickly though and the next two regular season games, will tell us a bit more where the Packers are, in comparison to others.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad that we're 12-3, but this team reminds me a bit too much of the 2019 team which won ugly and not convincingly. Sure, I'd rather win ugly than lose, but how you win does matter. There are exceptions, but teams that limp through the regular season with a lot of close wins usually don't win super bowls. Our close wins and relatively small point differential are the reasons why some of the advanced metrics don't think that we're as good as our record.

Let's take a closer look at point differential. Although point differential isn't everything, it matters. In the last ten years (since 2011) there have been 25 teams that finished with a record of 13-3 or better. As of right now, the 2021 Packers (+59 PD) would have the worst point differential of any of those teams. Maybe we'll blow out the Vikings and Lions and it'll improve, but that's where we are now. The second worst is actually our 2019 square at +63. The next worst was the 2017 Steelers who were at +98, significantly better than ours. So even if you discounted week 1 of this season we would have the second-worst point differential of all 25 teams. The average PD of those 25 teams is 156, so 100 points better than we are now.

Right now, we're 11th in point differential, and only three teams in the last 20 years have won the Super Bowl when outside the top ten (2007 Giants, 2011 Giants, 2012 Ravens). We'll see what happens. This team is very talented and I'm certainly not counting them out. But I was feeling a lot more optimistic a few weeks ago about our chances than I am now.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, they wanted parity in the NFL. It seems most games do come down to 1 or 2 plays. With all of our injuries, who would have thought they would be 2 wins away from securing the top seed and best

Members online

No members online now.