Free Agency

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 years / $6 mil total, about 1/2 what we're paying Brad Jones.

According to JS Online,
"a source close to the Packers said, "That's just agent (bull)",
referring to his supposed meeting with the Packers.

Oh, well.

So, we go back to the previous default view of the safety position...MM likes his 3 young guys next to Burnett.
I'm surprised - thought he would get more than that.

So be it.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need a safety and I don't think we have one on the current roster.

Yes we do but unfortunately Huff just signed with the Ravens of course smh. Hopefully we can bring Woodson back for cheap because this is gettng ridiculous. Seems like they know something we don't, hopefully the offense is a juggernaut because it's looking like we won't be able to depend on the defense yet again. There comes a point when you have to think big picture and think outside the box. I see alot of teams trying to get better by signing BETTER talent. Heck even Dallas who is a Cap mess is trying to get better in areas where they struggled and they don't have alot to work with. So frustrated we can't get even a B- type free agent to come to Green Bay.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes we do but unfortunately Huff just signed with the Ravens of course smh. Hopefully we can bring Woodson back for cheap because this is gettng ridiculous. Seems like they know something we don't, hopefully the offense is a juggernaut because it's looking like we won't be able to depend on the defense yet again. There comes a point when you have to think big picture and think outside the box. I see alot of teams trying to get better by signing BETTER talent. Heck even Dallas who is a Cap mess is trying to get better in areas where they struggled and they don't have alot to work with. So frustrated we can't get even a B- type free agent to come to Green Bay.

Yes but we can get a C level guy and pay him like a B level guy. Drum Roll please..............Brad Jones.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm surprised - thought he would get more than that.

So be it.

Huff will be 30 at the start of the season. If we've learned anything from this FA period it's that guys at that age or above are getting squeezed under the stagnant salary cap. Nonetheless, that does seem like a cheap deal for a good player. Ozzie strikes again.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like McMillan as well but I don't know if he's ready to step in there.

Mcmillan is fast but being fast doesn't translate into making game changing plays. People talked about how Woodson lost a step but one thing you could count on is sooner or later he was going to make a game changing play. If you are going to cut a guy of that caliber you better have a viable replacement or draft one.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I think Woodson is done. I'd take McMillan at this point over him. My concerns are McMillians readiness. He came from a small program.

I would have felt better about the position if we had signed Huff.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mcmillan is fast but being fast doesn't translate into making game changing plays. People talked about how Woodson lost a step but one thing you could count on is sooner or later he was going to make a game changing play. If you are going to cut a guy of that caliber you better have a viable replacement or draft one.
Its not just about talent, its also the cost to have that player. Did Woodson add $9M in value to the Packers? I'm not sure that he did. So going with a player who is 80% of the player Woodson is, at 5% of the cost - is a move that must be made if you are going to be competitive as a team.

McMillian has a way to go to be a complete football player, no doubt. Instincts and study can certainly improve your play and hopefully McMillian, and others, will take that step.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its not just about talent, its also the cost to have that player. Did Woodson add $9M in value to the Packers? I'm not sure that he did. So going with a player who is 80% of the player Woodson is, at 5% of the cost - is a move that must be made if you are going to be competitive as a team.

McMillian has a way to go to be a complete football player, no doubt. Instincts and study can certainly improve your play and hopefully McMillian, and others, will take that step.
Couldn't have explained it better myself.. My rule of thumb is you do NOT release a player of woodsons caliber no matter what they cost if you do not have someone of equal or greater value to replace him, Unless its THAT glaring of a price.. That's a move that should be applauded by TT and I'm one of the biggest Woodson fans around.. Another move that should be applauded is letting Finley stay but I've already explained why

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couldn't have explained it better myself.. My rule of thumb is you do NOT release a player of woodsons caliber no matter what they cost if you do not have someone of equal or greater value to replace him, Unless its THAT glaring of a price.. That's a move that should be applauded by TT and I'm one of the biggest Woodson fans around.. Another move that should be applauded is letting Finley stay but I've already explained why

That's just nuts. At any price? I don't agree.

Look I may have problems with some of Ted's decisions but this isn't one of them. Woodson's legs are as dead as last weeks farts.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Champion Ravens signed Huff today, as they signed Elvis Dumervil last week.

It amazes me, in a LMAO way, that we have a title called FREE AGENCY and we have pages and pages, 90 replies.
This is the PACKERS .... might as well have threads with UFO and GHOST SIGHTINGS and CONGRESSIONAL HIGH MORALS & VALUES threads.......

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Champion Ravens signed Huff today, as they signed Elvis Dumervil last week.

It amazes me, in a LMAO way, that we have a title called FREE AGENCY and we have pages and pages, 90 replies.
This is the PACKERS .... might as well have threads with UFO and GHOST SIGHTINGS and CONGRESSIONAL HIGH MORALS & VALUES threads.......

LMAO. Perfect....

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's just nuts. At any price? I don't agree.

Look I may have problems with some of Ted's decisions but this isn't one of them. Woodson's legs are as dead as last weeks farts.
Re-read my post 13.. I said letting Woodson go and keeping Finley were two moves us as fans should applaud Ted for..Woodson would've been the exception to my rule because the difference was too drastic as Amish pointed out

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I actually thought McMillian was our second best safety last year. If he hadn't gotten lost in coverage he'd have easily ousted both Jennings AND Woodson. The caliber Woodson was playing, I'm a bit shocked McMillian didn't bump him off anyway. They were both just as big a liability in coverage, and just as good in run support. I feel he's a viable replacement anyway. Hopefully Burnett improves at calling adjustments and steps up to that leadership void Collins left.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Rewatch the second (I think) game of the season. MC Million made a few splash plays throughout the season. He just couldn't get out of the doghouse in order to start.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have high hopes for Jerron McMillian, and I like the fact that he's at least built STRONG, and is one of the few who is not thin, lean, finesse-ish back there.
He's already got the dreads down..... just needs to learn & improve.

I remember the early growing pains of Nick Collins too, and the need for better "communication" back there from him.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re-read my post 13.. I said letting Woodson go and keeping Finley were two moves us as fans should applaud Ted for..Woodson would've been the exception to my rule because the difference was too drastic as Amish pointed out

The more I read your posts the more confused I become. I'm not sure what your position on Woodson is.:confused:

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I have high hopes for Jerron McMillian, and I like the fact that he's at least built STRONG, and is one of the few who is not thin, lean, finesse-ish back there.
He's already got the dreads down..... just needs to learn & improve.

I remember the early growing pains of Nick Collins too, and the need for better "communication" back there from him.
Are you talking about DB's as a whole, our secondary as a whole, the S position as a whole, or our S? Because McMillian is the second smallest S on the roster #'s wise and Richardson, Powell, and Woodson ain't exactly small framed.

Best dreads on the team. Hopefully it doesn't take him 4 years like Collins.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there is something else that needs to be kept in mind regarding Woodson. He played corner for the Packers up until last season. You could argue he was a short term fix for the safety position. You could also argue he didn't play very well there.

Members online

Latest posts