Free Agency

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So sign the guy based on Bulaga could shift to left tackle??? I think we are better off with Bulaga at right tackle and finding a real solution at left tackle.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So sign the guy based on Bulaga could shift to left tackle??? I think we are better off with Bulaga at right tackle and finding a real solution at left tackle.

Completely agree. If Bulaga hasn't been inserted at LT over Newhouse by now theres no way he's the future there. I honestly believe they are praying for Sherrod to get healthy and be that guy but i keep hearing he's still gimpy. Maybe TT finds a way to get into the top 12 and take either Erick Fisher or Lane Johnson? I wouldn't be shocked if that happened folks. It's evident that TT is wanting to put together a line to protect his 23 million dollar a year qb because they have been trying for quite some time now. It all starts at LT and as i said before that guy is not on the roster.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Completely agree. If Bulaga hasn't been inserted at LT over Newhouse by now theres no way he's the future there. I honestly believe they are praying for Sherrod to get healthy and be that guy but i keep hearing he's still gimpy. Maybe TT finds a way to get into the top 12 and take either Erick Fisher or Lane Johnson? I wouldn't be shocked if that happened folks. It's evident that TT is wanting to put together a line to protect his 23 million dollar a year qb because they have been trying for quite some time now. It all starts at LT and as i said before that guy is not on the roster.

I hate it but Sherrod is a total long shot. Already rumors of Bulaga shifting to LT and finding someone else at RT. Why not bring in some talent instead of hoping for the best in the draft?

Look where that philosophy has gotten the o line over the years.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Someone forgets what a rumor is. We don't know who started that rumor or how much truth it holds. For all I know it all started with Jimmy mishearing Bob from down the road at the barber shop, and the coaching staff, while considering it, don't see as a viable option.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don’t know what kind of condition Sherrod is going to be in at the beginning of TC and I don’t know how they are evaluating the youngsters at OT already on the team. If Bulaga has to play LT, they may believe they already have two or three decent/good candidates to play RT and - try not to shudder - one of ‘em may be Newhouse. (He could hardly be worse than at LT.)

But IMO Packers fans should be shocked if Thompson trades up into the top 12 because 1) that would probably cost him his first three picks in this draft and 2) everything we’ve heard from, and seen of Thompson says he just doesn’t think that way.

It looks like either Thompson will consider signing a UFA after the draft, or he/they decided because of the Rodgers and Matthews’ contracts they were not going to do significantly more in UFA than they’ve already done.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can't say Thompson hasn't made some efforts to put a OL in front of Rodgers. He used first round picks on Sherrod and Bulaga. Sherrods injury was something you can't predict. Damn shame. I do think Bulaga will snap back from a poor season.

And Like Jack I don't see Ted moving up to take an OL. Notice I said OL.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, none of us know, but you can bet the Packers staff has been keeping close tabs, and THEY know if Sherrod is on track or not. The best indicator we have is the draft. If they think Sherrod is OK, then we are solid, as Newhouse, if nothing else, is better than the average backup. If not, then we will probably see a first or other high draft pick of an O Lineman. I doubt it would be Fischer or one of those other big road graders, though. Keep in mind, we still theoretically are running the damn ZBS, and thus would draft some slightly smaller OT that none of us have on the radar.

H

HardRightEdge

Yeah, none of us know, but you can bet the Packers staff has been keeping close tabs, and THEY know if Sherrod is on track or not. The best indicator we have is the draft. If they think Sherrod is OK, then we are solid, as Newhouse, if nothing else, is better than the average backup. If not, then we will probably see a first or other high draft pick of an O Lineman. I doubt it would be Fischer or one of those other big road graders, though. Keep in mind, we still theoretically are running the damn ZBS, and thus would draft some slightly smaller OT that none of us have on the radar.

A year and half after Sherrod's surgery, at the NFL meetings in Feb., MM was uncertain whether he will be able to participate in OTAs. That's does not inspire optimism.

http://espnmilwaukee.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=19331

The offseason program begins this coming Monday. We await an update, if any. An assessment must be made in order to construct the draft board. Pre-draft silence on the matter would be inauspicious.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A year and half after Sherrod's surgery, at the NFL meetings in Feb., MM was uncertain whether he will be able to participate in OTAs. That's does not inspire optimism.

http://espnmilwaukee.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=19331

The offseason program begins this coming Monday. We await an update, if any. An assessment must be made in order to construct the draft board. Pre-draft silence on the matter would be inauspicious.
The crazy thing is last off season he was saying he should be ready to go for training camp.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Yeah, but wht he feels or says is much different from what the team medical staff is seeing. The outlook on him is grim. I am betting he is done for.
Our medical staff sends their kids to the hospital for paper cuts. I'm one of the very few on this forum who thinks Sherrod will be fine. Flanagan took 3 years to recover from the same injury, but he studded out. The only way I cut Sherrod is if we plan to re-sign him next year when Newhouse is up.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand why some of you think TT wouldn't trade up to take an OL?? i for one hope he doesn't, but as i mentioned before it wouldn't shock me. Look if Rodgers is going to be the highest paid player in history you better believe they are planning on keeping him upright as much as possible. With a questionable defense this team will only go as far as #12 takes us. We NEED a bookend at LT...period. No it's not Bulaga.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't understand why some of you think TT wouldn't trade up to take an OL??
You didn't say 'trade up for an OL', you said "Maybe TT finds a way to get into the top 12..." That's a big difference. And as I posted, the reason we should be shocked if that happens is it would probably cost the Packers first, second, and third round picks to get there. It would be by far the most aggressive move Thompson had made in a draft to date. Now if a LT they liked fell to a point in the first round where Thompson could get him for a first and a third I could see that happening. But he won't trade up into the top 12.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You didn't say 'trade up for an OL', you said "Maybe TT finds a way to get into the top 12..." That's a big difference. And as I posted, the reason we should be shocked if that happens is it would probably cost the Packers first, second, and third round picks to get there. It would be by far the most aggressive move Thompson had made in a draft to date. Now if a LT they liked fell to a point in the first round where Thompson could get him for a first and a third I could see that happening. But he won't trade up into the top 12.

Thompson if true to form will more likely trade up in the second or third for a guy he wants. I think the only way he trades up in the first round is for a defensive guy and I really doubt that. Like you said, trading to 12 would just be too costly. This may be a surprise to some but the Packers aren't exactly flush in picks. Another reason I wanted to see the Packers more active in free agency.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I actually said maybe TT finds a way to get into the top 12 and take either Erick Fisher or Lane Johnson... but wouldn't that basically be the same thing as saying "trading up for an OL" seeing that both guy's are offensive linemen that he would have to trade up for???

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually said maybe TT finds a way to get into the top 12 and take either Erick Fisher or Lane Johnson... but wouldn't that basically be the same thing as saying "trading up for an OL" seeing that both guy's are offensive linemen that he would have to trade up for???

Can you say ZBS? I hate that damn scheme, but the Packers are still pretty much committed to it, and big road grader OTs are not what the ZBS calls for. I've said elsewhere, the big question is what about the status of Derrick Sherrod? (and secondarily, is there any reason why Bulaga would continue to suck like he did even before the injury last season?) If Thompson/McCarthy/et al see problems with either or both of them, then somewhere high, maybe 2nd or 3rd round, they might draft a ZBS-type OT. If they don't, that means they have a fair degree of confidence in the OTs we have now.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you say ZBS? I hate that damn scheme, but the Packers are still pretty much committed to it, and big road grader OTs are not what the ZBS calls for. I've said elsewhere, the big question is what about the status of Derrick Sherrod? (and secondarily, is there any reason why Bulaga would continue to suck like he did even before the injury last season?) If Thompson/McCarthy/et al see problems with either or both of them, then somewhere high, maybe 2nd or 3rd round, they might draft a ZBS-type OT. If they don't, that means they have a fair degree of confidence in the OTs we have now.

Yea that pretty much sums it right there. I hate the ZB scheme with a passion.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
No it's not the same: Thompson could trade up into the #19 or #20th spot for an OL by packaging his first and third rounders. Or he could trade up a couple of spots for one. That would be significantly different than 'getting into the top 12' to pick an OL.

I don't think the ZBS (which I never liked) has much to do with the Packers' problems at LT. The "big road graders" at LT ordinarily wouldn't be good enough pass blockers for the Packers' offense unless they are elite and when was the last time they had the chance to select an elite LT? Remember Clifton wasn’t a road grader or much of a run bocker at all but he was plenty good enough and as much as I wish they never would have gone to the ZBS, it too was good enough in 2010. .

H

HardRightEdge

MM stated recently that except for the Seattle game Bulaga graded out as an All Pro. That seems like a stretch to me, but he was surely Pro Bowl caliber in 2011. Regardless, he's not going anywhere.

On the subject of ZBS, road graders and QBs who like to hold the ball don't mix.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM stated recently that except for the Seattle game Bulaga graded out as an All Pro. That seems like a stretch to me, but he was surely Pro Bowl caliber in 2011. Regardless, he's not going anywhere.

On the subject of ZBS, road graders and QBs who like to hold the ball don't mix.

I didn't mean 2011. Bulaga was damn good then, but SOMETHING was clearly wrong with him, not just in the Seattle game, but all last season even before his injury. I wish I knew why he played like crap then, and if it is likely to carry over to this season or not.

Agreed about your last paragraph, but I wish they'd ditch the damn ZBS, gradually upgrade to road grader tackles, and just let Aaron Rodgers keep on keepin' on. I'm thinking along the lines of a Kenny Stabler era Oakland Raider type offense.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't mean 2011. Bulaga was damn good then, but SOMETHING was clearly wrong with him, not just in the Seattle game, but all last season even before his injury. I wish I knew why he played like crap then, and if it is likely to carry over to this season or not.

Agreed about your last paragraph, but I wish they'd ditch the damn ZBS, gradually upgrade to road grader tackles, and just let Aaron Rodgers keep on keepin' on. I'm thinking along the lines of a Kenny Stabler era Oakland Raider type offense.

It's funny you metion Kenny stablerand the type of offense Oakland ran in those days. The thing is Oakland would pound teams with their run game and then Stabler who was the master of the deep ball (Rodgers is in todays NFL) would stretch the defense with the occasional deep pass. I think this offense would be great not just good if we had sombody to pound the ball with and a true speedster on the outside.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It's funny you metion Kenny stablerand the type of offense Oakland ran in those days. The thing is Oakland would pound teams with their run game and then Stabler who was the master of the deep ball (Rodgers is in todays NFL) would stretch the defense with the occasional deep pass. I think this offense would be great not just good if we had sombody to pound the ball with and a true speedster on the outside.
That'd be great except we'd probably have to replace 4 of 5 O linemen - who other than Sitton would be suited for that 'pound 'em' offense? And of course we'd have to acquire that speedster on the outside. [sarcasm] And all the resources spent on McCarthy's modified WCO could be … traded away? And we'd want to change the offense because almost all of the Packers' problems are on that side of the ball as McCarthy's offense is always at the bottom of the league in scoring. Luckily the defense is set and doesn't need any more talent. Sure, I don't see any problem with that, talent- or cap-wise.[/sarcasm]

But at least the Packers have the TE for that scheme. Perhaps you should take a Mulligan for this suggestion? :D (Sorry, I couldn't help it!)

Members online

Latest posts