Free Agency Thread

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Depending on when it gets scheduled, I am hoping to head down to Nashville for the game with the Titans. I have only driven through Nashville, really have wanted to spend some time there, so this will be a good excuse.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Been to Lambeau so many times personally...ive never been to sao palo

Nashville would be a real fun one as well, it's a great city and the football stadium is right in the middle of everything.

Ill be making every effort to attend both

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We just signed former first round Tackle Andre Dillard OT who last played for Tenn.

Excellent value and experience for worst case depth Tackle with starting experience.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Coming out:

6050, 315#, 33.5" arms
1.69 ten yard split
9'10" broad jump
4.40 short shuttle
7.44 three cone

I realize that he came out a long time ago, but is basically the platonic ideal of a Packers' OL.

Welcome home, young man.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Low risk, at worst Newman replacer......with a lot of area above that to become should he reach what his potential has always been given his traits.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Low risk, at worst Newman replacer......with a lot of area above that to become should he reach what his potential has always been given his traits.
And arguably has as much upside (if it pays off) as most college players who've never seen an NFL snap.

It's a deep draft for tackles, but really - once you get past the first half dozen, how many are there who are an almost sure thing? They all come with some degree of risk and uncertainty; but this guy is as good a pure athlete as anyone we're likely to get a shot at in the draft, and maybe Gutekunst has enough faith in his position coaches that he's wiling to gamble that they'll find a way to coach him up.

Green Bay's offensive line coaches have worked miracles with a lot of players who don't have anywhere near Dillard's tools. Maybe Gute thinks there's a reasonable chance they can work a little magic on him, too. The man has been right a lot more times than most GMs; I have faith in his judgement.

This also gives him a lot more space to focus on a cornerback in round one, which I think is our greatest need and suspect that Gtekunst thinks so too.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'S even worse than Newman. You guys live on hope.

To be fair, no one is expecting he is a world changer, or that this changes draft strategies or anything truly.

However, this is precisely the perfect signing. Dillard struggled last year, abso-freaking-lutely….BUT we see it every year guys pull through past injuries or struggles and resurrect what little may be left of their career. Shoot Devondre Campbell was not wanted by nearly anyone and had a pro bowl year for us (which led to us overpaying for more years but still)…Rasul Douglas couldn’t find the field and BAM.

I think everyone knows Dillard could just as easily be a roster cut down causality…OR is your this years Yosh from last year. Do I envision him being a starter? Personally no, but if he can give us a serviceable back up when called on that’d be of great value.

Imagine for a moment if say Gute drafts like Jordan Morgan and Blake Fisher….i could see us instantly have a Walker - Jenkins - Tom - Morgan - Fisher line up front and that puts us with Rhyan, Myers, Dillard, Jones and Tenuta in reserve…or maybe Newman if he doesn’t suck this year. That’s far more depth than we had last year already and likely we have others.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides Dillard playing horribly last year, there is the fact that the Eagles just let him go after his rookie contract was up. I don't have much faith he will be any better. Someone on another forum compared him to Spriggs. Just not enough strength. I guess it is not a problem if he is let go because he couldn't make the team. Don't see at as good signing and hope you are right that it does not affect the draft one iota.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dillard will be in his 6th season coming off of two very bad declining seasons. He's not a replacement for Newman because outside of a few snaps, he's an OT. He's a camp body and if he somehow turns the tide and becomes serviceable, great. Signing him is a low risk deal for the Packers. If he washes out, no big deal. If he shows he deserves a roster spot, then it was a good move. Either way, the signing shouldn't impact the draft priorities.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depending on when it gets scheduled, I am hoping to head down to Nashville for the game with the Titans. I have only driven through Nashville, really have wanted to spend some time there, so this will be a good excuse.
Let's keep in touch. I may swing down for that too. Nashville's one of my favorite cities in the US, and if the game pairs up with a good show at the Ryman or something, it'd be hard to pass up.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dillard will be in his 6th season coming off of two very bad declining seasons. He's not a replacement for Newman because outside of a few snaps, he's an OT. He's a camp body and if he somehow turns the tide and becomes serviceable, great. Signing him is a low risk deal for the Packers. If he washes out, no big deal. If he shows he deserves a roster spot, then it was a good move. Either way, the signing shouldn't impact the draft priorities.
He got a 3 year 30 mil deal a year or I assume 2 seasons ago ... Sounds to me like he is a legit prospect to make the team... Although I liked the part of the story where a 7th rounder took the job of LT from the 1st rounder:)))

Honestly... Linemen on offense and defense many times take 3 years or more to grow into the NFL. Besides the hand full of blue chip, can't miss guys each year... There's so much strength and development that happens between being drafted and them reaching maturity. It's much better to have numbers, than hype in those positions. One 2nd rounder traded back can get you 4x the 4th/5th round prospects.

That's why I think 4th and 5th rounds should be linemen rounds each and every year.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides Dillard playing horribly last year, there is the fact that the Eagles just let him go after his rookie contract was up. I don't have much faith he will be any better.
That's what jumps out at me, too. They develop some of the best O-lines in the NFL over in Philly, year in and year out. I have a lot of faith in our coaching staff, but if the Eagles couldn't get anything out of him, I'm skeptical.

But still, it's a low-risk high-reward move. If it fails, we haven't lost anything and nobody will ever remember his name this time next year. If it works, Gutekunst looks like a magician.

I've read in a couple of places today that after the Titans played Cleveland last season, Myles Garrett schooled him both during and (literally) after the game - handed him his *** so many times during the game that he felt sorry for him and gave him some blocking tips after the game. If that's true, it's not very encouraging.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's what jumps out at me, too. They develop some of the best O-lines in the NFL over in Philly, year in and year out. I have a lot of faith in our coaching staff, but if the Eagles couldn't get anything out of him, I'm skeptical.

But still, it's a low-risk high-reward move. If it fails, we haven't lost anything and nobody will ever remember his name this time next year. If it works, Gutekunst looks like a magician.

I've read in a couple of places today that after the Titans played Cleveland last season, Myles Garrett schooled him both during and (literally) after the game - handed him his *** so many times during the game that he felt sorry for him and gave him some blocking tips after the game. If that's true, it's not very encouraging.
9 times out of 10, when we hire a new offensive or defensive coordinator, the first two days are dedicated to their picks, that fit their schemes ...

I'm guessing we go heavy on defense in first 3 rounds.

Id sure love to see a top tier RB picked day 2 though. That would probably help the defense more than any other single player, by helping the defense stay off the field....

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He got a 3 year 30 mil deal a year or I assume 2 seasons ago ... Sounds to me like he is a legit prospect to make the team... Although I liked the part of the story where a 7th rounder took the job of LT from the 1st rounder:)))

Honestly... Linemen on offense and defense many times take 3 years or more to grow into the NFL. Besides the hand full of blue chip, can't miss guys each year... There's so much strength and development that happens between being drafted and them reaching maturity. It's much better to have numbers, than hype in those positions. One 2nd rounder traded back can get you 4x the 4th/5th round prospects.

That's why I think 4th and 5th rounds should be linemen rounds each and every year.
Dillard is a former 1st round pick entering his 6th season. I think the developmental stage of his career is long gone. Could the Packers work some magic with him? Maybe, but I doubt he's anything more than the 9th or 10th o lineman on the team. I hope I'm wrong but he's washed out of two teams and gave up 12 or 13 sacks last season. I don't want him "protecting" Jordan Love unless he stages a tremendous turnaround which is highly unlikely.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Coming out:

6050, 315#, 33.5" arms
1.69 ten yard split
9'10" broad jump
4.40 short shuttle
7.44 three cone

I realize that he came out a long time ago, but is basically the platonic ideal of a Packers' OL.

Welcome home, young man.
Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dillard is a former 1st round pick entering his 6th season. I think the developmental stage of his career is long gone. Could the Packers work some magic with him? Maybe, but I doubt he's anything more than the 9th or 10th o lineman on the team. I hope I'm wrong but he's washed out of two teams and gave up 12 or 13 sacks last season. I don't want him "protecting" Jordan Love unless he stages a tremendous turnaround which is highly unlikely.
5 years in the league. And a couple seasons ruined by injury.... Torn biceps, and another year he broke his forearm in preseason, and something else later that season too...

Also... Two different teams. Maybe the scheme didn't fit for the second team?. Maybe the eagles online was too good by drafting 7th rounder who became the LT. And his cost didn't warrant keeping him...

Last year didn't look good. No doubt... But again. Maybe there was a reason not obvious to the eye...

I'm optimistic we can turn his career around... Anyone know how long we signed him for?

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
The Dillard signing won't change the Packers draft plans. He will be lucky to make the roster, if the draft brings some top OL talent. He's 29 years old, and only had 1 decent year... his rookie year.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

He was a viable backup in Philly. It was a disaster in Tennessee. Their OL coach is also a nobody.

I think the ceiling of the deal is that he’s a better backup tackle than they currently have.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Let's keep in touch. I may swing down for that too. Nashville's one of my favorite cities in the US, and if the game pairs up with a good show at the Ryman or something, it'd be hard to pass up.
Sounds good. As long as they keep the Titan game off the Dec./Jan. schedule, I'm about a 95% shot at going. Even if it happens to fall in either of those months, I would probably go. I think I am looking forward to seeing Nashville and catching a good band or 2, more than the actual Packer game.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds good. As long as they keep the Titan game off the Dec./Jan. schedule, I'm about a 95% shot at going. Even if it happens to fall in either of those months, I would probably go. I think I am looking forward to seeing Nashville and catching a good band or 2, more than the actual Packer game.
And a full rack of ribs at Rippy's on Broadway.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw headline about a deep massage under anesthesia to bust up the scar tissue. Didn't read the article to see what it was about.
Remember a back that Lombardi paid a boatload to keep from going to the AFL, Jim Grabowski? He was the starting FB to replace Jim Taylor in 1967. He suffered a season ender similar to other backs. But the story was that he did not put in the necessary rehab effort and when he came back the next season he was toast.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dill

Dillard gave up 12 or 13 sacks last season in only 10 games depending on who you read. I really don't want him protecting Love if he doesn't make a miraculous improvement. He's 28 entering his 6th season. I'd be surprised if he makes the team.