Free Agency Thread

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think you're giving the coaching staff a huge pass here.
It's the scouts job to identify NFL talent, not to assess capabilities of the coaching staff. The head coach needs to get rid of assistants that are failing to develop talent.
In the case of the players that I named (Amari Rodgers, Sternberger, Josh Jackson, J'Mon Moore, Josh Jones, Jason Spriggs, Quinton Rollins, Jerel Worthy) are you talking about the Packers coaching staff or the next team(s) coaching staff?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Add McKinstry with McKinney, and the secondary room will be a mess.;)
Will sell a lot of programs!

Wait, do they still sell programs? I don't think I have ever seen them at games.

I can't remember the Badger coach, but he specifically didn't want players names on the back of their jersey's and he said "it will sell more programs".

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the case of the players that I named (Amari Rodgers, Sternberger, Josh Jackson, J'Mon Moore, Josh Jones, Jason Spriggs, Quinton Rollins, Jerel Worthy) are you talking about the Packers coaching staff or the next team(s) coaching staff?
blame the position coaches, head coach, and gm for these beauties

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His younger brother German is also a DB from Michigan and a potential draftee or UDFA in 2 weeks. Wouldn't that be a bit confusing if the Packers land his brother too. Gemon and Germon, what where their parents thinking?
Could things possibly get any greener in Green Bay? Yes they could. Renardo Green from FSU is on my list of day 3 DBs.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Donald Driver was probably the greatest 7th rd pick in the history of The Green Bay Packers! Some guys work their ***** off to be great..some do the bare minimum to be mediocre!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Donald Driver was probably the greatest 7th rd pick in the history of The Green Bay Packers! Some guys work their ***** off to be great..some do the bare minimum to be mediocre!

DD is a top 10 7th round pick probably in the entire NFL truthfully.

Some that pop in my head in "modern" time are Julian Edelman, TJ Houshmandzadeh, Matt Cassel, Ryan FitzMagic, Cortland Finnigan, Captain Munnerlyn, Jordan Poyer, Shelby Harris, Pat Tillman,

Believe Bo Jackson was too

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brock Purdy

I didn't include because IMO still incredibly new - easily in five years could be one of the best from the 7th.

Same reasons for Pacheco, and especially Jonathan Cooper who has looked like an absolute STEAL in the 7th

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
True but Bart Starr has to be the Packers draft steal of ALL time, 17th round. Of course there were fewer teams and that turned out to be the 200th pick of the 1956 draft.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's already had a better career than most backup QBs.

Well of course, but that doesn't just blanketly put you in the discussion for some of the greatest 7th rounders because of two good years.

I could add some if I was going to do that. I debated not putting Cassell and Fitzpatrick in there and their careers are below:

Ryan Fitzpatrick has 166 games / 3,072 Completions / 5,060 Attempts / 34,990 yards / 223 TDs and 2,625 rushing yards / 21 TDs
Matt Cassel has 107 games / 1,578 Completions / 2,683 Attempts / 17,508 yards / 104 TDs and 1,025 rushing yards / 5 TDs

Brock Purdy has 25 games / 422 Completions / 614 Attempts / 5,654 yards / 44 TDs and 157 rushing yards / 3 TDs

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
An article timed just perfect for the draft and our discussion of failed picks.

"Getting upset about a team's "hit rate" in the NFL Draft is like getting upset about the 75 percent of times baseball players get on base."

I think the author meant "don't get on base"?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
OK....who's watching this forum? 2 articles in a row, of exactly what we were discussing?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a hard time putting players that have their careers seemingly altered by injuries or non-criminal things outside of football as 'bad picks'. In particular Cole Madison. And, it was a 5th rounder.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I have a hard time putting players that have their careers seemingly altered by injuries or non-criminal things outside of football as 'bad picks'. In particular Cole Madison. And, it was a 5th rounder.
I would agree that any pick beyond maybe Round 4ish is one that I don't fret over if they "fail". Madison was a double whammy. His mental state after his friend and teammate's death by suicide kept him from playing his rookie season. Then in 2020, he makes the team, is never on the active game day roster and tears his ACL at practice in Nov., definitely tough breaks for him.

Compare that to DeAngelo Yancey, who is 10th on that list. Yancey was a 5th round pick, but despite being healthy, never saw a snap in his year and a half as a Packer. He traveled around the NFL and XFL for a few years, but never saw a real game snap. That tells me he was a guy who just couldn't figure things out on the field, despite being healthy.

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Figured id stick this here... Interesting article.. Tend to say , either they think Tom is that guy or not, if these folks really believe this kid (Love) is it, might as well stock that line up and protect him for the long term foreseeable future..

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Figured id stick this here... Interesting article.. Tend to say , either they think Tom is that guy or not, if these folks really believe this kid (Love) is it, might as well stock that line up and protect him for the long term foreseeable future..

Good read, thank you for sharing. Jackson Powers-Johnson is a guy I've been reading a lot more about lately, I guess I'm surprised I have never seen him mocked to Green Bay (as near as I can recall), but damn - he would certainly play a big part in making our O-line one of the top units in the NFL.

More and more, any way you slice it or mock it or juggle the multiple possible scenarios, I am becoming very confident that our offensive line - which was aready surprisingly good in 23 - is going to step up to a substantially higher level in 24. There are just so many options available to us in so many different scenarios and rounds. We're in a terrific position to pick the best scenario at any one of a number of different points in the draft.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you take into account the drafting teams investment and a player doesn't have a productive "stint" with that drafting team, do you feel like the GM did his homework or that the drafting team did well on their investment?

If I am a stock broker and I continually give you advice on stocks that lose you money while you are holding them, but do really well after I have convince you to sell them, am I a good stock broker?

I feel like you are answering a question such as: "Did/Is Montavious Adams having a productive career in the NFL for a 3rd round pick?" To that question, I would agree with your answer. However, if the question is "Was Montravious Adams a good draft investment/pick for the Green Bay Packers, I would say "No, especially not for a 3rd round pick."

@Team Ronny mentioned Lawrence Guy. The Packers only invested a 7th round pick in Guy. Would you say Guy was a GREAT investment for the Packers, considering his career 13 years later? Had he spent all 13 of those years on the Packer roster and still had the same stats that he has now, I would say "He was an absolute steal and worth way more than the investment." However, he didn't play a snap for the Packers, so they got zero return on a small investment.
Ok I get that.
There’s 2 separate arguments of thought. Immediate benefit and full potential. Two almost separate arguments there. I’m more of the thought that you expressed yourself here.
7th rounder for the Packers. Not much of an investment, but too bad they didn't hang on to him. Maybe gad he not gotten injured his rookie year, they would have seen his potential?
Listen. Things happen I’m quite sure whoever let Rasul go to the Packers felt foolish. He was a fantastic selection but he definitely isn’t a bad draft pick nor would I ding the GM or scouts who went after him. Would you?
I might ding them for being idiots and letting him go though

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Listen. Things happen I’m quite sure whoever let Rasul go to the Packers felt foolish. He was a fantastic selection but he definitely isn’t a bad draft pick nor would I ding the GM or scouts who went after him. Would you?
I might ding them for being idiots and letting him go though
I don't think there is a 100% accurate formula, since "bad pick", "bust", etc. are mostly subjective opinions. I prefer to just look at players as "investments". Since really, that is what they are. If you invest a 1st round pick and pay in a guy and get little in return, for me that is a bad investment, even if the guy goes to another team and becomes a HOF player.

If you invest that same amount and get a solid starter, but he leaves after 4 years, I would call it a solid investment, that only paid out for 4 years (plus the potential compensatory pick).

Douglas is kind of a unique case. The Eagles invested a 3rd round pick and pay in him. They actually got decent play out of him for 3 years, but not great. He was cut, played a partial year with Carolina and then bounced through 3 other team without playing, before the Packers snagged him from the Cardinals PS. I guess if I was an Eagles fan, I would say that he was a decent investment, but one that we gave up on too soon. As did the Packers IMO.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw where Sternberger and Rodgers are both playing for Birmingham in the (whatever the name is because nobody goes to games) spring league. I watched one play, and decided that I'd rather watch a rousing game of cricket between Mumbai and some guys from another town. It was so "entertaining." :sleep: