Free Agency: Packers Should Green Bay Pursue?

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good signing for depth and potential. Redmond is only 26 and the Packers are the only team where he has actually played in a regular season game.

I like the Redmond resigning. Greene, Redmond, and Sullivan give the Packers a lot of depth at safety.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be shocked if King was not back.
$10M is a lot to pay Linsley. Who did that contract? Probably would like to trade him. Except I doubt anyone would take that salary.

Last edited:

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gurley and Matthews are 2 signings that the Packers don't need and can't afford. Let's concentrate on the positions of need!

not sure what our cap situation is looking like but I’d rather have Gurley over any free agent receivers. Draft some beef up front and pound the rock with 2 stud RB’s. Same for Our defensive line. One year rental 4 mil should do it.

Reaction score
Concentrate you bastards! :mad:

I apologize profusely for the outbursts. I’ve been kinda stressed lately. :whistling:

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Both the Bears and Vikings are currently over the cap with having to sign rookies (Vikings will be about 5 million over and the Bears are about 10 million over). Cuts and/or restructuring coming up at both places

The Vikings will free up the space they need for rookies and in-season funds when they trade Anthony Harris.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nelson Agholor and Breshad Perriman would both be kinda fun adds.

Agholor we would definitely be buying low on, and Perriman perhaps the opposite...Agholor would fit into the slot nicely, whereas Perriman is what we want MVS to be.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings will free up the space they need for rookies and in-season funds when they trade Anthony Harris.

That seems like the only possible scenario. They are already telling people he is available. Vikings now probably need 2 or 3 cbs and 1 safety in the draft. Maybe they will be able to free up a little money for Sendejo to come back.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both the Bears and Vikings are currently over the cap with having to sign rookies (Vikings will be about 5 million over and the Bears are about 10 million over). Cuts and/or restructuring coming up at both places

So do Da Bears ask Mack for a discount? Who do we even want from them from cuts? I mean I'd take Roquan Smith and Akiem Hicks for sure. Cody Whitehair to replace Taylor.

I'm still open to Rudolph from Minny too.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So do Da Bears ask Mack for a discount? Who do we even want from them from cuts? I mean I'd take Roquan Smith and Akiem Hicks for sure. Cody Whitehair to replace Taylor.

You might want to check our war chest before you start dreaming, last time I looked we got just enough in there for some saltine crackers and a bottle of MadDog 2020! So basically, we can bring Ha Ha or Janis back.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
That seems like the only possible scenario. They are already telling people he is available. Vikings now probably need 2 or 3 cbs and 1 safety in the draft. Maybe they will be able to free up a little money for Sendejo to come back.

They might not realize it yet, but they're rebuilding.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I haven't been very high on resigning Tramon because I think he's too risky at his advanced age, however with the options that remain out there he makes the most sense. The young players that we could expect to play as well or better have been snapped up.

Keeping Tramon wouldn't mess with the comp. pick formula, since it's unlikely that he plays for anyone but the Packers at this point in his career.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't been very high on resigning Tramon because I think he's too risky at his advanced age, however with the options that remain out there he makes the most sense. The young players that we could expect to play as well or better have been snapped up.

Keeping Tramon wouldn't mess with the comp. pick formula, since it's unlikely that he plays for anyone but the Packers at this point in his career.

Is it me or is this 2020 CB Draft Class superbly underwhelming? I'm definitely in favor of bringing back Tramon because we're going to have to really find a gem in Day 3 to make this group better without using some serious draft capital. We have a good young nucleus in King, Alexander, and Sullivan. We don't yet know what we have in Hollman so I'm not in favor of just pushing him down the depth chart and Redmond is on standby as emergency flexibility. Plus, a better front seven/pass rush will only make this secondary better.

Let's roll with Tramon one more year, and allocate a Day 2 pick in 2021 if the need arises. Besides, Gute is going to work the roster every week. That's how we found Sullivan, I'd be confident he could possibly do the same this summer as well.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it me or is this 2020 CB Draft Class superbly underwhelming? I'm definitely in favor of bringing back Tramon because we're going to have to really find a gem in Day 3 to make this group better without using some serious draft capital. We have a good young nucleus in King, Alexander, and Sullivan. We don't yet know what we have in Hollman so I'm not in favor of just pushing him down the depth chart and Redmond is on standby as emergency flexibility. Plus, a better front seven/pass rush will only make this secondary better.

Let's roll with Tramon one more year, and allocate a Day 2 pick in 2021 if the need arises. Besides, Gute is going to work the roster every week. That's how we found Sullivan, I'd be confident he could possibly do the same this summer as well.

There's only a couple guys with top talent, but there's some good dudes in the class for sure.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

First, full disclosure, I don't think CB, at least right now, is high priority, given other needs. However, a guy that I am going to keep my eye on is OSU CB Damon Arnette. If he makes it to the Packers 2nd round pick (#62) I would be all over him. I might even try to move up slightly in the second round to grab him. He played his final season with a broken wrist and was still pretty damn good. OSU seems to be a DB factory and Arnette probably steps right in and takes Tramon Williams spot. He excels at press coverage and is a big hitter. His teammate Okudah is now the talk of the CB draft, but I think Arnette might be the better value if he makes it into the second round.

Last edited:

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Packers may not land a very good FA, most of them have a price tag to high for cap$, we may have to look for the draft to fill needs, I’m keeping fingers crossed on at least 2 good position FA,s.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Given the alternatives, I do think we're better off keeping Tramon for one more year, which is funny considering how most people are typically ready to get rid of players that get up there in age.

Last edited:

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will admit I don't know a lot about Walker, but seems like having him, would just be doubling up on Marcedes Lewis?

Walker is (or maybe was) much more of a receiving TE. His last two years have been injury-riddled - just 5 games. In those 5 games he had 25 catches for 250 yards and 2 tds. That is more than Lewis has had playing 32 games the last 2 years. Walker is much more of receiving type tight end. 2 years ago he would have command 8-10 million a year because he was coming off 3 seasons of averaging 75 catches and over 800 yards and 6 tds per season.

Depending on his demands he is a good option. If he can play 12 plus games and even keep his last two year averages of 5 catches and 50 yards a game you are look at 60 catches and 600 yards. If he played all 16 at those numbers you would be at 80 catches and 800 yards which is right at his numbers from the seasons without injury. His production is there. It is all about health. Incentive laden deal makes sense. Sounds like it is between the Packers, Colts, and Redskins. So it should really be between the Packers and Colts if he wants to try to win. The Colts should have around 22 million in cap space after the Rivers deal so they have the space to outbid us.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always liked Walker, but he'd be more what they envision Jace as, not Mercedes. But I worry the injuries and age will leave a TE that can no longer do what made him effective. Like when we signed Jimmy. They athleticism, run after the catch, etc were gone. If Walker can't split the seem and run away from linebackers, I don't see him as anything to be too excited about at this point.

Members online