Free Agency: Packers Should Green Bay Pursue?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
A poster had suggested some outside the box thinking a while back: Jenkins to RT and a Taylor return to LG.
I raised that a possibility some months back. There was a recent report that the Packers are not considering moving Jenkins.

I think there is a greater possibility to see Turner kicked out to RT and his position at RG to be assumed by someone else. The Packers have multiple players (potential moving parts) involved in what will happen in 2020 in regards to the starting OL; Bulaga, Taylor, Linsley, Jenkins, Turner, Veldheer and potentially Jason Spriggs.

I doubt they resign or keep all of Bulaga, Veldheer, Spriggs, Taylor and Linsley, but they have 5 offensive lineman under contract (Bahk, Jenkins, Linsley, Taylor and Jenkins) so something is going to give on resigns, changing positions or cutting.

Right now, the only thing that I would bet on is that Bahk is our LT.

Sky King

Reaction score
Turner was inconsistent just often enough that he did not inspire a high level of confidence in me that he would be the better fit at the more difficult tackle position. He may be just fine out there and I hope that he will be. He’s listed as a G/T on the Packer website, so it likely is the plan to move him over there.

Physically, he appears to possess all the necessary abilities to excel. Maybe stunts are not really his Kryptonite but it sure seemed like it sometimes.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Turner was inconsistent just often enough that he did not inspire a high level of confidence in me that he would be the better fit at the more difficult tackle position. He may be just fine out there and I hope that he will be. He’s listed as a G/T on the Packer website, so it likely is the plan to move him over there.

Physically, he appears to possess all the necessary abilities to excel. Maybe stunts are not really his Kryptonite but it sure seemed like it sometimes.
very much agree with that.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm surprised that we haven't heard any news on Lane Taylor. With the savings of cutting him, a backup, pretty sizable ($4.6M), he seems like a no brainer to cut. However, they may just hang on to him as insurance, until after Free agency and the draft to see where they are at with the OL needs. It appears they will only owe him an additional $62.5K if he is on the roster longer than than another week, so might be cheap insurance until they find out if they have enough starters and depth worked out.

Actually the Packers don't take an additional cap hit by holding on to Taylor until OTA workouts start. Therefore there's no need to release him at this point aside of the team needing the cap space to make moves in free agency.

I prefer Taylor's type of contract over the ones where the big roster bonus kicks in a few days after the new league year starts. I realize players love the big roster bonus's to occur soon after the new league year starts, but I really wish that there could be a compromise to this and they don't kick in until say June 1.

Well, there's no rule preventing teams from negotiating bonuses that way. It seems like they aren't popular with players though.

And now that we'll have one more extra game in the Playoffs, we're going to need said players.

Don't worry, the Packers will secure the #1 seed in the NFC next season.

Turner has started at both tackle spots in the NFL, therefore he's an option to replace Bulaga on the right side entering next season. I wouldn't feel comfortable about him being the starter though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cordy Glenn...is now an intriguing option out there with Tackle experience. He and the Bengals did not get along last year during his concussion return, BUT the dude is a fairly decent LT, and if the team would think he'd transfer to RT could be a decent RT option out there. I'm just split on what his cost is gonna be...typically player with his recent injury and relationship issues with a previous team could lesson his cost some....or having T experience may bump him too high...just throwing him out there.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt we'll do anything in regards to this, plus it's a rumor, but still, it would be fun if we could somehow land him, even though we don't need a number one.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...p9MzA11HiE-mb060JBXjdnePewVGorH2NHop5U-6MPOA4

To be fair...if we're going to resign an offensive guy in the $10M a year type contract I'd rather it be a WR than a RB named Jones. As much as it pains me RB's time and time again prove to not be worth the investment unless they're just INSANELY unique or a once a decade type guy. So with that said...Hopkins dead cap hit is very team friendly moving forward...but is quite expensive still.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said it before, but some folks really need to live in a realistic world, not their desired world. There is no world where we pay for Tier #1 at TE and ILB and having a starter level RT going into the 2020 season...without making arguably two more cuts; most logical two would be Taylor and Linsley....BUT until we know the direction at RT cutting another OL starter could be tough to swallow.

With that in mind and some things discussed and such I'm going to do a 2.0 prection:

Realistic Free Agency Scenario 2.0 (amendments in bold):

"In" team notable decisions
  • Let Tramon walk...maybe even retire a Packer.
  • Re-sign Crosby (already decided)
  • Let Bulaga walk (hard)
  • Sign Veldheer to a two year deal...OT becomes a plan in draft.
  • Release Graham
  • Keep Taylor and not cut as I've been predicting...due to unknown at RT...and his Guard experience may keep him here if either G is slid outside.
  • Re-sign Marcedes Lewis maybe*
  • Fackrell and Martinez walk without offers

"Outside" team decisions
  • Sign Nick Kwiatkoski (ILB) or Joe Schobert (ILB)...as our #1 ILB
  • Sign Bashaud Breeland (CB) ...this time do it for a few years.
  • Taking this off now...I don't see it occurring. Sign Tyler Eifert* ...if healthy he still is a smart savvy TE receiving option and could be that FA dice roll that gives far more than his $ will demand.
  • Sign a DL supporter for Clark and run stopper...my prediction is Snacks Harrison but there are some options (I have another thread discussing this)
  • Sign a Tier 2/3 ILB with experience, think Kirksey or someone similar...this could occur no matter what, BUT could also be a sign we are targeting ILB in draft and don't need a TRUE stud (Littleton, Kwiatkoski, Schobert)

Enter the draft with only true dire need at WR, with OT right behind. Then look for ILB, DL, TE, CB also always at the front of thought.

This of course isn't my dream scenario...just more of a realistic possibility at the current time I think.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
For me it's pretty simple. I'll take the coverage LB over the thumper every time. That said I am starting to think Schobert will/would be better value then either.

Then again it doesnt matter what I think with the reports that the Packers and Raiders are rumored that they're going to be all over Littleton come tomorrow afternoon

And they just gave Kirksey 2/16.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Is it just me or are we seeing a lot of once high priced CB's get dumped by teams? Falcons release Trufant today, who still had 3 years left on his contract.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Falcons also released Freeman. I'm not sure if he's completely washed or not, but we could certainly do worse for a #3/#4 RB on the depth chart.

It will be VERY interesting to see what Gute does with those additional 2 roster spots under the new CBA. If he drafted 3 WRs without cutting MVS, ESB, and Kumerow before camp I wouldn't bat an eyelash.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be all for uniting Trufant with his old teammate from Washington Kevin King. He's had a solid career. Wouldn't call him elite, but he's definitely one of those 2nd tier guys who can make your roster look stacked.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Falcons also released Freeman. I'm not sure if he's completely washed or not, but we could certainly do worse for a #3/#4 RB on the depth chart.

It will be VERY interesting to see what Gute does with those additional 2 roster spots under the new CBA. If he drafted 3 WRs without cutting MVS, ESB, and Kumerow before camp I wouldn't bat an eyelash.
Kumerow is not currently under contract and is an ERFA. Depending on their plans for the draft and FA signings, we may not see him back in Green Bay.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hottest current rumors.
Packers went to three teams in on Hooper
And although I'm not buying this one, Texans may trade Hopkins, Packers mentioned as one team.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Hooper to the Browns. Expectation is that he will become the highest paid TE in the league.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Hopkins rumors I love...but some tough calls are gonna be needed.

Bringing on his contract, while in dead money after this year is low...if you keep him the dude is gonna cost you $15M (1.5 Dead) in 2021 and $13.9M (zero dead) in 2022. That ain't cheap....

...but with the Wagner signing I think does make it more likely Taylor OR Linsley could be cut if it means somehow making money work to bring him on. I'll say it now unless they're asking far too much in pick equity for him this is a discussion Gute and Co. has gotta consider. Essentially folks we could only have to pay him for a year....and then cut or two years and than cut even with the tiny dead cap money in contract.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Hopkins rumors I love...but some tough calls are gonna be needed.

Bringing on his contract, while in dead money after this year is low...if you keep him the dude is gonna cost you $15M (1.5 Dead) in 2021 and $13.9M (zero dead) in 2022. That ain't cheap....

...but with the Wagner signing I think does make it more likely Taylor OR Linsley could be cut if it means somehow making money work to bring him on. I'll say it now unless they're asking far too much in pick equity for him this is a discussion Gute and Co. has gotta consider. Essentially folks we could only have to pay him for a year....and then cut or two years and than cut even with the tiny dead cap money in contract.

Actually, the amount of his salary is less than what you are thinking. Whatever team would trade for him would only be on the hook for:
  • 2020: $12.5M
  • 2021: $13.5M
  • 2022: $13.915M
When a player is traded away or cut, their old team is on the hook for the dead cap money.

While I think that is a great deal for a team, it is also probably going to cost the Packers at minimum, a first round and maybe more because of that great contract.

While I would love to have Hopkins, not so sure I would want to invest that much in salary and draft assets into him.

Members online