Free Agency: Packers Should Green Bay Pursue?

D

Deleted member 6794

They also threw a ton of money at Jimmy G....so I'm taking their moves with a grain of salt presently. Is Burton worth that much, I'd agree right now at his moment in his career NO. Could he be depending how he leaves 2019 behind and progresses who knows.

Burton is a talented tight end but his injury history and the Bears moving on from him without saving significant cap space is reason for concern though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Burton is a talented tight end but his injury history and the Bears moving on from him without saving significant cap space is reason for concern though.

I don't disagree, everyone knows of the TEs out there with unknowns or concerns I'm an Eifert guy for the right price.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

What I find comical with the Bears. They are moving on from Burton due to injuries and I kind of get that. However, they signed a guy like Jimmy G for way to much money and when healthy, he now has to be considered the lessor player between him and Burton. Not sure what Ryan Pace is smoking, but I am willing to chip in and buy him more if he is running low.

Reaction score
One formula to consider is looking at strengths in the draft to further consider where you would go in FA or trades.
The 2020 draft actually fits near perfect with the priorities of GB’s needs. Nobody will argue that WR holds prominence as a dire need in GB. It’s been forever and a day since #12 was given ample provisions in the W/O dept. Funchess is a nice security chess piece, but it’s time.. and 2020 holds more than a dozen value worthy WR prospects inside of the pick #62 who will both contribute early and keep the Packers Cap space in line.

While GB really should pair a LB with Kirksey, GB obviously seems to think Burks is still on the rise and he actually won a starting role before an early injury last season. Defenses now have to consider well rounded LB’s who can both defend the Run, but also drop into coverage. The days of the dedicated Run stopper (like Martinez) are still waning. That means the hybrid Safety position becomes paramount. I believe it’s a big part of why Burks isn’t being kicked to the curb, he’s highly athletic (see Combine) and he has that hybrid capacity teams covet, he just can’t stay on the field thus far. GB just may be safer to pick a bigger Safety type that can compete in the box against the Run... verses a dedicated ILB who majors at Run D and minors as a coverage guy. Which leads me to the increasing importance with the big guys upfront (particularly in a 3-4).

The DT/DE/Edge/Jack is paramount. It’s the first line of Defense (pun intended) and it all trickles down. You can’t both play light and transient at the second level and not win in the trenches. GB both had a poor coverage LB paired with a DL that largely got pushed around (I’m sorry the truth hurts) GB is missing 2 chess pieces that are the Rooks/Castles next to Kenny. Let’s call it.. we got absolutely humiliated upfront at SF (and against several other running teams) and the score did not reflect the beat downs. Either GB needs to invest by day 2 upfront in a DL heavy draft... or GB needs another veteran upfront, one or the other or BOTH.
I’d prefer we take a shot at another OLB with some upside to start grooming behind Gary, even if it’s a late round selection, but it’s unlikely a position we get through FA.

This is an above average draft at OL. If GB needs one (they do) in the near future.. this would be a wise time to strike early OR double down on a couple versatile mid rounders with upside, while they have time to get acquainted. OT/C is always best found homegrown (See Bak or Linsley) as it also can be a much larger monetary chunk if we go shopping outside. Hard to do while paying near 33.5M annual to a QB. Id use the draft here.

CB? Right smack dab in the middle. Not the least or most needed this season. Also CB is not feast or famine in the draft..but leaning famine early. Outside of a notable presence in Okuda, this draft is thinner than usual towards the top.. but it also presents some great prospects with great upside in late day 2 and well into day 3. Might be the time to double down here starting #94 range or similar.

TE and RB are a thin crop that will be low supply and high demand anywhere before day 3 draft. Those are 2 more positions I’d strongly consider in FA/trades as they generally aren’t Cap killers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I don't disagree, everyone knows of the TEs out there with unknowns or concerns I'm an Eifert guy for the right price.

Eifert's injury history is a major reason for concern as well though.

While GB really should pair a LB with Kirksey, GB obviously seems to think Burks is still on the rise and he actually won a starting role before an early injury last season.

Burks didn't start any games last season but after returning from injury in week 5 played only 57 total snaps on defense while being healthy enough to line up on the majority of special team plays.

With the Packers desperately needing an upgrade at inside linebacker last season that's not a promising sign.

I’d prefer we take a shot at another OLB with some upside to start grooming behind Gary, even if it’s a late round selection, but it’s unlikely a position we get through FA.

The Packers have more pressing needs to address than adding an outside linebacker stuck behind the Smiths and Gary on the depth chart.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eifert's injury history is a major reason for concern as well though.

Burks didn't start any games last season but after returning from injury in week 5 played only 57 total snaps on defense while being healthy enough to line up on the majority of special team plays.

With the Packers desperately needing an upgrade at inside linebacker last season that's not a promising sign.

The Packers have more pressing needs to address than adding an outside linebacker stuck behind the Smiths and Gary on the depth chart.
I think Edge or OLB is very low on Gluten’s list of needs for this draft. DL? Most definitely. CB? As Josh Jackson heads toward bust, they all but have to draft a CB.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Edge or OLB is very low on Gluten’s list of needs for this draft. DL? Most definitely. CB? As Josh Jackson heads toward bust, they all but have to draft a CB.

Let's not forget Fackrell last year played on about 40% of the snaps according to spotracs. Gary around 23%.

At worst case we have to have another Edge/OLB that will contribute almost or around 25% of the snaps. That person could be on the roster already, but given the importance of edges in today's NFL I do suspect mid to late rounds we grab someone...if one falls that Gute loves I don't think he would hesitate 3rd round on.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They have their "edge" guys. Unless there is a generational talent they believe and he is, it will be a 3rd or later developmental pick

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Edge is one of those positions that tends to impact the whole team. And you can't have too many pass rushers. It wouldn't surprise me, especially if a good one ends up dropping.

In general, I think teams should try to draft a CB, O-line, and d-line player each year. It's a passing league. Needing 3 starter quality CBs in the minimum and if the trend continues, Dime will be the new "practically starter" just like Nickel was 5-8 years ago. Assuming it isn't already.

D-linemen have a hard job and there are only so many athletic big men.

And there is a general shortage O-Line talent across the league.

Doesn't mean you need to swing big or do it literally every year. You don't even need to get a lot of hits--a 5th round rotational player that is solid and leaves after his rookie contract was still valuable.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not forget Fackrell last year played on about 40% of the snaps according to spotracs. Gary around 23%.

At worst case we have to have another Edge/OLB that will contribute almost or around 25% of the snaps. That person could be on the roster already, but given the importance of edges in today's NFL I do suspect mid to late rounds we grab someone...if one falls that Gute loves I don't think he would hesitate 3rd round on.
I agree with you, It all depends on what the expectations are for Gary this year. Did Gluten make a mistake taking him so high? He was treated like a project last year. IMO, he made a mistake taking Gary at #12, and will add some help, probably on day 3.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you, It all depends on what the expectations are for Gary this year. Did Gluten make a mistake taking him so high? He was treated like a project last year. IMO, he made a mistake taking Gary at #12, and will add some help, probably on day 3.

I cannot state a mistake, as I am a BPA type guy with the weighed thinking of need as well. I would not have take Gary at that position is my contention on a few accounts: personally I didn't have him rated high enough and secondly I think there were guys equally as high at their specific positions that we "needed" more. I doubt we ever know, but I'm forever going to be curious if we tried to trade back...or was Gute really and truly as high on this guy as it has been made out to be.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without using hindsight to claim anything. I wanted a trade back or I had these few circled on my list to grab: Dexter Lawrence, Jerry Tillery, Andre Dillard, DeAndre Baker, N'Keal Harry and I hate to admit it I had Noah Fant despite NOT being a fan of TE in first.

With hindsight of course there are some others we'd wish we'd done but I was shocked when the pick came in honestly.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without using hindsight to claim anything. I wanted a trade back or I had these few circled on my list to grab: Dexter Lawrence, Jerry Tillery, Andre Dillard, DeAndre Baker, N'Keal Harry and I hate to admit it I had Noah Fant despite NOT being a fan of TE in first.

With hindsight of course there are some others we'd wish we'd done but I was shocked when the pick came in honestly.

Once Hockenson and the ILB's were off the board, I was a fan of trading back to the late teens for Fant or... dare I say... D.K. Metcalf. ;)

Reaction score
Skipping at OLB with 10 draft selections and walking a veteran in the offseason is not smart.
I guess we’ll see who’s right or wrong in a few days :tup:

Teams should always carry a surplus at OLB in a 3-4. It’s a vital position group to have good depth. Losing Fackrell hurt us this year and does not help that position if we ignore it as you say.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Skipping at OLB with 10 draft selections and walking a veteran in the offseason is not smart.

Teams should always carry a surplus at OLB in a 3-4. It’s a vital position group to have good depth. Losing Fackrell hurt us this year and does not help that position if we ignore it as you say.

The snap count % I laid out before illustrates how well Fackrell performed as our #3. Gary has BIG shoes honestly, and we cannot expect him to just blindly double his snap count without growing pains IMO.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think he was meaning with a high round pick. I do not foresee a 1st round OLB, or 2nd. Now we could if someone they think is going to be great is there and is better value than some other positions. But I think OLB is likely 3rd round maybe, 4th on a definite pick for this team.

I think Rd 1 is going to be OT, DB or WR and that's as much as i'm going to declare. I couldn't even begin to guess who.

Reaction score
“I’d prefer we take a shot at another OLB with some upside to start grooming behind Gary, even if it’s a late round selection, but it’s unlikely a position we get through FA”

I think he was meaning with a high round pick. I do not foresee a 1st round OLB, or 2nd

While I appreciate you are trying to help. This was the post he responded to. I never said to use a “high round” and even very clearly said I’d be fine with any stab at the position even later as a #4 on the depth chart behind Gary. Can’t get much clearer than that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

At worst case we have to have another Edge/OLB that will contribute almost or around 25% of the snaps.

I fully expect Gary to take the majority of Fackrell's snaps. Otherwise it would be extremely disappointing.

It would definitely be nice to kick the tires on Lee now that the Jags released him.

I don't think the Packers are interested in adding another veteran receiver.

I wasn't advocating for Gutekunst to not draft an edge rusher at all but there are definitely more pressing needs to address early in the draft.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Gluten may have tried to trade back and simply found no takers. And the pick (Gary) was even more head-scratching after the FA acquisitions of the Smith Bro’s. It might have been a case of BPA, but I don’t think so.

And it’s a shame. It’s rare when GB gets a pick that high, and to use it on a guy who maybe played 20% of snaps last year is nuts. With all that said, I’m ok giving him the benefit of the doubt, but only if Gary’s snap count increases dramatically and he makes a big impact on the D this year.

I’m not holding my breath. That was last year. Let’s hope he uses his picks a bit more wisely this year, esp rds 1, 2 and 3.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gluten may have tried to trade back and simply found no takers. And the pick (Gary) was even more head-scratching after the FA acquisitions of the Smith Bro’s. It might have been a case of BPA, but I don’t think so.

And it’s a shame. It’s rare when GB gets a pick that high, and to use it on a guy who maybe played 20% of snaps last year is nuts. With all that said, I’m ok giving him the benefit of the doubt, but only if Gary’s snap count increases dramatically and he makes a big impact on the D this year.

I’m not holding my breath. That was last year. Let’s hope he uses his picks a bit more wisely this year, esp rds 1, 2 and 3.

I think immediate starter vs total impact is the wrong way to view picks. Or that taking Gary is unwise.

I'm not saying how he will turn out--my view point is cautious optimism. But hypothetically, if Gary turns into the second coming of LT and plays for 12 years, how well he performed in year 1 is irrelevant.

The inverse if Deebo Samuel turns into nothing more than Billy Schreoder v2.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think immediate starter vs total impact is the wrong way to view picks. Or that taking Gary is unwise.

I'm not saying how he will turn out--my view point is cautious optimism. But hypothetically, if Gary turns into the second coming of LT and plays for 12 years, how well he performed in year 1 is irrelevant.

The inverse if Deebo Samuel turns into nothing more than Billy Schreoder v2.

Agree. Way too many examples, both ways, of guys excelling and failing after year 1 and even 2 and beyond, to get too worried about prematurely rushing to write a draft pick off or label him a success.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. Way too many examples, both ways, of guys excelling and failing after year 1 and even 2 and beyond, to get too worried about prematurely rushing to write a draft pick off or label him a success.
I agree with both you guys, and I said as much in my post. Give Gary another year or two. I’d be overjoyed if he became half a second coming of LT!

Members online