Fire Philbin

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand a statement like this. Are you professing to know what Philbin did in his role? He certainly wasn't calling the plays since that was McCarthy. The guy was an important part of the offense prior to his departure in 2011 but I don't think many of us outside Lambeau really know what he was and wasn't allowed to do by McCarthy this season.

I'll argue (feel free to disagree) that Philbin may be the best route. Philbin had a good track record within the Packers. He's been a head coach but he doesn't have any recent, relevant play-calling experience. If the team runs the table under him this year they could offer him a two year prove-it deal. Most people here agree that there are no top coaching candidates out there, we are just rummaging through what is available. So why push a square peg into a round hole? If the team shows a spark this season, they could roll with Philbin and if needed be, pull a Ray Rhodes after next season and possibly plunder a deeper/richer coaching crop at the end of 2019. If we select a young coach this season, we might be tied to a longer contract and/or the desire to give him time to make it work. With Philbin we might be able to dump him faster if he's not the one.
I don’t think the Packers the luxury of Putting Philbin on a 2-year “prove it” contract.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
less than 17%
YOUR FIRED!!!!! Lolololol

Maybe the raiders are willing to trade us Chucky at a cut rate? Lol JKJK.

I like philbin for the job. Not overbearing. Bring in #12's buddy who got fired this spring, as oc. Vanpelt. And let them open up the offense.
Otherwise its fire everyone, and let some new coach try to teach Rodgers a new system. Lol.

Either way we need to get #12 some stud o linemen.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if we win 2 of the last 3 give him a 1 year contract. I think we could do far worse. He knows the team. I'd give him a chance.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think if we win 2 of the last 3 give him a 1 year contract. I think we could do far worse. He knows the team. I'd give him a chance.
I think if we did that, we would be back here again next year, talking about who the new coach should be. Time to take advantage of the opportunity to clean house of most of the coaching staff and start fresh in 2019. Only way I remotely consider Philbin staying one more year, is if there is a guy out there that the Packers really want, but for whatever reason(s), he can't take over until 2020.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers need a head coach that doesn't know the team going forward.