Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackManDan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. That's not what he was saying at all.

All he said was he was going to give credit where credit is due. He didn't make one mention of the last three years and even acknowledged the defense still has issues.

Are you his spokesman?

He went from saying "ok I'm definitely on board with firing Capers, his scheme doesn't work anymore" to "Capers deserves a lot of credit for that last half" and seemingly, not wanting him fired anymore.

PackManDan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One game doesn't or shouldn't change your opinion of the guy. If you want him fired then the Packers coming back to win the game today shouldn't change that. If you don't want him fired then the Packers getting absolutely destroyed in the beginning of this game shouldn't change that. I don't think the entire blame is on Capers. I feel like this team seems to always have some of the poorest tackling in the NFL, and that has nothing to do with Capers. Though I do think Capers' scheme doesn't work anymore and I don't like him. I want him fired but I still acknowledge that is not the only problem with the defense.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you his spokesman?

He went from saying "ok I'm definitely on board with firing Capers, his scheme doesn't work anymore" to "Capers deserves a lot of credit for that last half" and seemingly, not wanting him fired anymore.

Your reply to his post was completely taking his out of context. Even after reading it and having me summarize for you, you still aren't grasping it.

All he was was give credit where it's due. Nothing about excusing him or not firing him.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Tired of people overreacting about the D. It played really well today for the most part and will get better like I've been saying.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One post said that if Capers gets blame for bad plays, he should get credit for good ones. Why only blame him? How could they play great for 2.5 quarters if Capers was doing a bad job?

The other said it doesn't make sense to blame Capers when a player clearly screws up.

That does not mean a play call is never bad or that a player never makes a good play.

Capers called a nice 2.5 quarters. Awesome. Doesn't change my mind about him. I've watched the Packers defense of 2011, 2012, 2013 and now 2014 struggle tremendously. 2.5 quarters of good defense against a terrible offense isn't going to erase the past three plus years in my head. I gave him a pass after '11 since the '10 defense had been so good, got a bit worried after '12, and after '13 I was ready to see him go. I still am. I'm grateful for the defense he put on the field in '10 that helped us win a Super Bowl, but that's about all. Other teams have adjusted to his schemes. I could go back and pull the data that shows how Capers defenses historically fall off after the first year or two(And if anyone is interested I will search for it).

And one more point. I think we can agree that the defense has been pretty bad since 2011. If the players just aren't executing their plays, as it argued, it's either because of poor coaching or poor talent. Maybe that has something to do with it, but then the blame would be on MM and/or TT, and I really don't think it's their fault. Capers seems to have a free hand with the defense.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers called a nice 2.5 quarters. Awesome. Doesn't change my mind about him. I've watched the Packers defense of 2011, 2012, 2013 and now 2014 struggle tremendously. 2.5 quarters of good defense against a terrible offense isn't going to erase the past three plus years in my head. I gave him a pass after '11 since the '10 defense had been so good, got a bit worried after '12, and after '13 I was ready to see him go. I still am. I'm grateful for the defense he put on the field in '10 that helped us win a Super Bowl, but that's about all. Other teams have adjusted to his schemes. I could go back and pull the data that shows how Capers defenses historically fall off after the first year or two(And if anyone is interested I will search for it).

And one more point. I think we can agree that the defense has been pretty bad since 2011. If the players just aren't executing their plays, as it argued, it's either because of poor coaching or poor talent. Maybe that has something to do with it, but then the blame would be on MM and/or TT, and I really don't think it's their fault. Capers seems to have a free hand with the defense.

I'm not trying to make people change their minds about him. I just think he deserves some credit when things go well.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I'm not trying to make people change their minds about him. I just think he deserves some credit when things go well.

Exactly, he called a good game. Once again the offense spotted some points on the D.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I want you to be right but tell me why? Why will the defense be better?

Well They played a pretty good 2nd half and played the run pretty well. They only gave up 3 pts in 2nd half. I don't think were going to have a dominant defense but I do think they are decent and will get better as season goes. Lot's of young guys on D that IMO will only get better. I believe they will be good enough to make a run at it.

I don't think we have the same safety deep middle problem we had last year. Sam shields got beat. He is one of the best corners in the league. It happens.

The one thing I would like to see is more from Peppers.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Well They played a pretty good 2nd half and played the run pretty well. They only gave up 3 pts in 2nd half. I don't think were going to have a dominant defense but I do think they are decent and will get better as season goes. Lot's of young guys on D that IMO will only get better. I believe they will be good enough to make a run at it.

I don't think we have the same safety deep middle problem we had last year. Sam shields got beat. He is one of the best corners in the league. It happens.

The one thing I would like to see is more from Peppers.

You also gotta remember that this "hurry up offense" and not really being able to run the ball puts a lot of pressure on the defense.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
If the defense continues to play like they did today they will get destroyed against the best offenses. It worked against a terrible offense just enough. Last year, the Jets were 25th in total yards and 29th in total points. I don't see how the Jets really upgraded on offense this year.

The Jets offense is nothing to get excited about but they do have a good running game and Geno Smith does look to be a little better. I don't know why they kept bringing in Vick for a play here and there.

Agreed, the defense needs to get better and IMO it will. Remember, they don't need to be great.

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After every win after the D plays like a DII school making bad offenses like all -pros people think just forgive Capers, forgive him the D will play better they do better next week. No they won't i'm sick of the excuses, I heard the same crap in 2011, 2012 and 2013, when is the D going to get better? Explain that, explain why the D for the pas three years has sucked? Explain why the Packers were down 21-3? Explain why the D made the Jets offense looked like all -pros? You can't, all you caper apologists do is say "well we won, so don't worry about it" no I do worry about, because there lies the problems.

I want to hear your excuses say when oh Billy and the Pats slaughter this D, you know BB likes to run the score up on bad Ds. If this D plays like they did today against the Pats BB will run the score up to maybe 47+, then I want to see who you blame...

And when things go wrong, whos' fault is it that people lay full blame one, that's right MM not Dom.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. That's not what he was saying at all.

All he said was he was going to give credit where credit is due. He didn't make one mention of the last three years and even acknowledged the defense still has issues.

Yes, that's exactly what I said. Also, @Dan you oughtta know in the heat of the game people can say crazy stuff when they want things to stop and get fixed, which is what I did a little. You want to know the truth? I do think Capers oughtta be put pretty closely under the microscope this year. We do need to see distinguished improvement from the defense's core in order for him to stay I say. But when I was saying give credit where credit was due today, it was because he changed some calls up, perhaps got the defensive players to finally hustle to the ball, and they went from 3 drives 3 tds, just just 3 points the rest of the way. And hey, if he can turn things around the rest of the season and pull wins against good offenses, we should reconsider calling for him to be barbecued. I think that's reasonable enough. If my bad hunch comes true and he doesn't, then yes Mike Murphy and company should put some pressure on Ted Thompson to let him go.

But honestly, some of the stuff I've been reading today has gone way overboard. In the chat today, some crazy fan says he thinks Mike McCarthy is worse than Mike Sherman. Yup, I saw that and whoever it was who said that seriously needs to get checked for dementia. And hoping your own team loses just so a coach or coordinator can get fired is just dumb. It's even starting to sound like those crazy Dallas Cowboy fans who hope for seasons of tanking just so Jason Garret gets fired and Jerry Jones retires. Come on guys, let's not act like those crazies.

I think it's good that we as fans have a winning team with winning tradition, and as such we should have high expectations especially with the defense, but at the same time let's not fly off the rails with outlandish suggestions.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still not drinking the kool aid. If they can sustain how they played in the 2nd half? Maybe. But I'll tell you what.. The Lions are a different beast. They spot the Lions 21 points they get blown out.

AZpackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He cant makes these guys tackle. Were there some play calls that put our guys in unfavorable situations today? I would said yes. But the 49ers played a good game. Remember this defense has a lot of youth on it and they are not going to be firing on all cylinders week 1. If we are still seeing the same consistent problems in say November. Then maybe it would be time to entertain Dom Capers being on the hot seat. As far as talent on that side of the ball. There is talent up front. But the secondary behind Woodson and Willaims is not very good. When house returns I expect to see much better coverage back there.
No, he can't make them tackle....and he can't tackle them himself. But he chooses what players to put on the field, or at least he is part of the decision making process (Brad Jones, last week should have been pulled).... Coaches have to bear part of the responsibility also, otherwise, why even have them? Maybe that is what this team needs, a shake up in the teaching process. I think this D has the talent, but motivation and coaching are an issue. I will give the offense a break this week because of Bulaga's injury....but Sherrod?.......come on man............

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still not drinking the kool aid. If they can sustain how they played in the 2nd half? Maybe. But I'll tell you what.. The Lions are a different beast. They spot the Lions 21 points they get blown out.

I agree, but somehow I don't see that happening. We got caught in a hangover today. Jet's caught us starting off anemically, they figured they had a tiger by the tail, they went in and attempted to go for the kill, and we had to get up and fight back to win. I think we had a wake up call, the guys remembered if they're going to go to the Superbowl, which I am sure is still the goal of the team, they knew they had to get hungry to win again.

I think this week, we see a team wanting to go in and take care of business again and that's what they'll do.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Want and outsiders perspective of the Packers Defense? To bad you are going to get it anyway. I don't see any major changes to what they did last year. They are giving up to many points and to many yards. Now, granted, week one was the Seahawks in Seattle. But this week, the first half? Holy crap. The Jet's marched down the field 3 times before the Packers defense even started slowing them down. They can't do that next week. They can't do it against the Patriots, or several other teams they play. Rodgers is not going to be able to put up 31 points every game to win. They keep this up the Packers will be at best an 8-8 team.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's not a terrible offense. They have a good O-line, Mangold is still the best center in the league. Smith showed some game as a rookie and should be better this year and they have good backs. At receiver Erick Dekker is a legit number 1 and Gerley is a decent second option. They're not going to break records this year but they are far from terrible.

You don't have to jump on the Dom Capers bandwagon but let's be honest in our analysis.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Want and outsiders perspective of the Packers Defense? To bad you are going to get it anyway. I don't see any major changes to what they did last year. They are giving up to many points and to many yards. Now, granted, week one was the Seahawks in Seattle. But this week, the first half? Holy crap. The Jet's marched down the field 3 times before the Packers defense even started slowing them down. They can't do that next week. They can't do it against the Patriots, or several other teams they play. Rodgers is not going to be able to put up 31 points every game to win. They keep this up the Packers will be at best an 8-8 team.

Raptorman, the Jets offense started their first possession inside the Packers 20 yard line. The Packers Defense played back on their heals for the next two drives before stiffening and holding the New York Jets to 3 points for the rest of the way. Against Seattle yes the Seahawks put up 31 points. Sixteen of those points came off of Offensive blunders including an interception and a sack fumble safety. The Packer defense hasn't been great thus far, but it's production has been marred by poor and sloppy play from the Offense.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I keep telling you guys the defense will have it's lumps so the offense will need to score points for us to go anywhere. Our secondary had issues with Eric Decker and Jeremy Kurley for goodness sakes. If not for a bonehead timeout by the Jets we probably go to OT and who knows. Defense looked better in the 2nd half but it was the Jets .

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus it'd be stupid to think the Packers are going to dig themselves in holes like that every week. Now I know you Vikings fans hope that happens, but it won't. Plus, the jets threw some unconventional methods in their offense early in the game and kinda caught us flatfooted with some quick snaps too. I don't see that happening with the Lions next week.

And call me crazy but the Patriots don't scare me at all. It may have been 4 years ago, but we went into their house with Matt Flynn at QB and almost beat them, and I'd say their O that year was far more dangerous than it is now. This is not the old 2007 patriots 5 WR explosive packages that go hanging 40 plus points a game on the scoreboard anymore. They've become more of a possession offense that looks to Rob Gronkowski for the bulk of their big plays, but he also has health issues these days, and if he's not 100% when they play us, our chances of winning go up even more. Yeah they do continue to find ways to win, but a lot of their wins last year they too had to come from behind to beat their opponents, and not too many of them were blowouts either. And if the Dolphins can beat them week 1, I'm certain we can too.

Myndflyte

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, bringing up Eric Decker makes me think of something. If Decker doesn't get injured, the Packers don't win this game. Decker went down not too long after the 2nd half started, and it completely changed their offense for the worse. That's pretty scary to think about.

Actually Eric Decker went down with 12:45 remaining in the 4th quarter. So give the defense a little more credit.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, actually the defense gave up another long TD pass in the second half which was called back because of Mornhinweg taking a timeout.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, actually the defense gave up another long TD pass in the second half which was called back because of Mornhinweg taking a timeout.

They lucked out! Jeremy Kurley whom is like 5'10 looked like Randy Moss on that play song. Where was the safety? What was the corner on that side? Lucky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online