Final Drive

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Bears did a good job of defending the sidelines, which is why we had to use the middle of the field. As far as the pace of the drive, yeah it seemed like it took several seconds to get the plays off. And while we DID get down far enough to at least have a chance to tie the game with that pass in the endzone, I think we probably need to work on our 2 minute offense some more in practice.

Reaction score
McCarthy talks about having a lively tempo in practice, and I believe one of the reasons is that tempo can carry over to the games (2 minute warning included).

It looked like our tempo was lacking, and I think it's one of the few things McCarthy is going to talk (maybe yell?) to his team about in practice.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why was there no sense of urgency on the final drive of the game? It looked as if we just gave up.

I do not at all believe they just gave up on that drive. I do however think that Favre was afraid to throw into tight coverage and lose the football on another turnover. It is very difficult to pass deep against the cover-2. It's designed to take away big pass plays. So Brett just took advantage of the soft underneath stuff to move the ball down the field.

Even with that, Driver almost came down with it in the endzone.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the stands, the tempo was a joke. walking to the line, it looked like they had no script for the 2 min drill. The best thing that happened on the drive was the drop on about the 10 yard line, that would have ended the game since we were out of timeouts.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the stands, the tempo was a joke. walking to the line, it looked like they had no script for the 2 min drill. The best thing that happened on the drive was the drop on about the 10 yard line, that would have ended the game since we were out of timeouts.

Ryan,

The tempo really did seem off. I wonder how much of that had to do with getting out of that "**** and dunk" quick passing game rhythm that we seemed to be using with success the previous games ?

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan said:

Ryan,

The tempo really did seem off. I wonder how much of that had to do with getting out of that "**** and dunk" quick passing game rhythm that we seemed to be using with success the previous games ?

IDK, but it seemed like Favre was only looking to the slot and then a checkdown for most of the game. He didn't ever seems to go to the wide outs down field so they were either really well covered or he was told not to go there. The other thing, Favre just looked to be taking his sweet time on the last drive. It looked like he was mad with the play calling or something and was like, ah the heck with it, this games over. LOL I'm sure it's not the case, but when the D was on the field the entire game, asking for the crowd's help (I can hardly talk today from screaming all night), it just seemed like the O could have done more to at least tie the game at the end. They were all slowly getting to line etc. It was confusing to watch.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So for that last drive the Packers defense was getting the crowd riled up?

No, for the entire game (as they were on the field for most of it) they were waving their arms to get the crowd into it. We were standing on almost every 3rd down and screaming our butts off. There was pretty good fan participation compared to the last few games I have been to, it was fairly loud in there last night.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahh I see.

From a TV perception, it didn't seem like the crowd was into it much.

It was extremely loud, especially when the pack d was out there in the second half. Also, many boos during the lackluster 2 minute drill.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

With Wells out, did that have an affect on the tempo?

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan said:

Perhaps? IDK, it was just very lack luster, and slow. I was was kinda dumbfounded watching it as they seemed to walk down the field.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan said:

From MM press conference:

(If Wells had been at center in the 2-minute drill at the end, would the snaps have come quicker?)
MM: "Our mechanics as far as the time for the snaps was not where it needed to be. The communication as far as the set-up, we actually did take a lot more time than you would have liked. I'd like to think we could have had another opportunity or two. We were not as crisp as we've been there."

Members online

Latest posts